HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

it's like musical chairs, but with roster spots (avys/wallpaper in posts 1&2)

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2012, 09:34 PM
weems

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
He is kinda headed towards bust status. He can't play a lick of defense, struggling to hit in AAA, doesn't even have a HR yet, plate discipline isn't looking good anymore either. Showed no power last year either in majors or minors.

And I wouldn't trade Marisnick for Hamels unless he is coming with an extension. There is no value getting him for a few months even if we do make the playoffs. Building your farm system and trading it off for rentals just to hopefully make the playoffs for a season is a terrible strategy. AA has said he wants to build a club that can be competitive for years to come and he won't get away with that strategy.

Also, I'd trade Gose before Marisnick.

At this point, I think he might be hiding an injury or maybe his velocity is down and his mechanics are off but there is something wrong with him. He is getting hit far too much, struggling to miss bats and doing nothing well right now.

It's disappointing... he was expected through the system pretty quickly. Woj too, he's been an even bigger disappointment than him.
I'm not yet convinced that Marisnick>Gose.
Gose is 7 months older then Marisnick but is playing a full 2 levels above. I bet if Gose was playing in high A ball right now he would be putting up some beastly numbers. To me Gose's skillset is more rare then Marisnick (GG defence/60-70 SB upside) and thus I would be hesitant to give up Gose.

I read somewhere some scout saying that its hard to really know what you have in a prospect until he gets to AA and beyond.

Old
05-11-2012, 09:46 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
He is kinda headed towards bust status. He can't play a lick of defense, struggling to hit in AAA, doesn't even have a HR yet, plate discipline isn't looking good anymore either. Showed no power last year either in majors or minors.

And I wouldn't trade Marisnick for Hamels unless he is coming with an extension. There is no value getting him for a few months even if we do make the playoffs. Building your farm system and trading it off for rentals just to hopefully make the playoffs for a season is a terrible strategy. AA has said he wants to build a club that can be competitive for years to come and he won't get away with that strategy.

Also, I'd trade Gose before Marisnick.

At this point, I think he might be hiding an injury or maybe his velocity is down and his mechanics are off but there is something wrong with him. He is getting hit far too much, struggling to miss bats and doing nothing well right now.

It's disappointing... he was expected through the system pretty quickly. Woj too, he's been an even bigger disappointment than him.
Yeah I've read the same things about Brown. I just don't know whether or not the Phillies are giving up on him.

Old
05-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Yeah I've read the same things about Brown. I just don't know whether or not the Phillies are giving up on him.
They arent, he is allegedly in AAA to work on his fielding. Which is pretty funny because Pence is almost as bad as a fielder imo.

Old
05-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
I'm not yet convinced that Marisnick>Gose.
Gose is 7 months older then Marisnick but is playing a full 2 levels above. I bet if Gose was playing in high A ball right now he would be putting up some beastly numbers. To me Gose's skillset is more rare then Marisnick (GG defence/60-70 SB upside) and thus I would be hesitant to give up Gose.

I read somewhere some scout saying that its hard to really know what you have in a prospect until he gets to AA and beyond.
Yeah Gose would put up good numbers in A ball but he would still strikeout a lot. I like Marisnick better because he's got more contact ability. His tools like arm/defense/speed are not as good as Gose but if you can't make contact, it's tough to be a starter. Marisnick has more power too.

If Gose can cut his strikeout rate down to 20% and be a decent enough AVG hitter, I'll take him but until he does that, I'll take Marisnick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
They won't since they don't have much help coming but he is not looking like much right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
They arent, he is allegedly in AAA to work on his fielding. Which is pretty funny because Pence is almost as bad as a fielder imo.
I doubt it. Brown is a horrific fielder and UZR has never rated Pence as a horrible defender. Actually a plus throughout his career. Brown is like Thames out there.

Old
05-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Kb21

i don't like the hamels rumbles because i'm 100% sure he will walk from the jays if we do get him unless AA is able to sign him to his 5 year deals with options, which is unlike since the dodgers will throw money at him next off season.

about victorino i actually like him, he is quite the good hitter and can spoil a ton of pitchers before he gets the one he likes, much like a johnny damon in his younger years. also he is a good fielder and maybe controllable until he retires seeing as he is 31 already, will only be slowly declining until he hangs them up, and isn't particularly phenomenal this year so any deal would mostly be in the 7M/year range.

Old
05-12-2012, 04:45 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Such a bad move IMO.

He turned down over-slot money as a mid-late first rounder out of high school. Even if he turns his season around, and has a great sophomore year it'll be virtually impossible for him to get 2.5m.

In regards to the mock, I'd love to have Giolito fall to us at 17. If we can't sign him just take the supplemental pick like last year and make sure we get a singable guy at 22.

I think Giolito falling to 17 may be a bit of a stretch but you never know. Its happened before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Totally agree, I'm sorry but he can spin it however he likes but turning down 2.5 million man thats tough. He won't get that type of money when he enters the draft in 2014 and if he had signed he would've been able to start his pro clock earlier. But hey that was his choice, he obviously values education extremely highly.

Hard to tell really. This new slotting system is higher than past ones. Last year the draft slot money for #1 overall pick was 4 mill. Under new system it's 7.2 mill for a top draft pick. 10th overall pick went from 1.8 till to 2.7. I dont see why Beede cant be a marginal top-10 pick in 2014 and get close to what he was gettin from Jays.

Old
05-12-2012, 04:47 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post

Pence was actually half decent defensively with Astros. No idea what happened to him because he looks lost now.

Old
05-12-2012, 06:47 AM
weems

Perfect world scenario in next month

-Vladdy rips it up in Dunedin and team feels hes ready
-Thames continues to hit and raise value
-Snider gets healthy and starts to tear it up again

This happens then role with a lineup like this

2b Kelly Johnson
SS Yunel Escobar
RF Jose Bautista
1B Edwin Encarnation
DH Vladimir Guerrero
3B Brett Lawrie
CF Colby Rasmus
LF Travis Snider
C JP Arencibia

Trade Thames + prospects for pitcher

Send Lind to some desperate team for mid tier prospect

Old
05-12-2012, 12:55 PM
metafour

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
In regards to the mock, I'd love to have Giolito fall to us at 17. If we can't sign him just take the supplemental pick like last year and make sure we get a singable guy at 22.
This isn't really an option because if you fail to sign a pick you also lose the signing bonus allotted to it from your pool; thus you cant just say "oh well" and take that money and spend it elsewhere: its gone. If you are going to draft Giolito you better get him signed.

Old
05-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Gardiner Express
(base)ball is life

For any of the MLB The Show 12 players out there, I have 2 questions for you.

1. Is there any way I can make my game fullscreen instead of having the black outline along the sides?

2. Is there any way I can shrink the amount of innings in a game in franchise mode? 9 innings is too long.

Thanks!

Old
05-12-2012, 01:01 PM
smack66

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Hard to tell really. This new slotting system is higher than past ones. Last year the draft slot money for #1 overall pick was 4 mill. Under new system it's 7.2 mill for a top draft pick. 10th overall pick went from 1.8 till to 2.7. I dont see why Beede cant be a marginal top-10 pick in 2014 and get close to what he was gettin from Jays.
that is if he turns his play around and doesnt suffer any injuries.. quite the gamble leaving 2.5 on the table. Interesting to see if he finishes his degree since education was so important to him

Old
05-12-2012, 04:24 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardiner Express View Post
For any of the MLB The Show 12 players out there, I have 2 questions for you.

1. Is there any way I can make my game fullscreen instead of having the black outline along the sides?

2. Is there any way I can shrink the amount of innings in a game in franchise mode? 9 innings is too long.

Thanks!
Black outline? never seen that. Mine is full-screen. Might want to check in the display settings. It could be that something there is screwed up. Or if all else fails, do a hard reset on your PS3's A/V output (starting with the console off, hold hte power button until it beeps a second time. ie, press the button, it beeps as the console turns on, then keep holding for 3-4 seconds and it will beep again.). This will let it automatically check and reconfigure your PS3's output to whatever it should be.

for the second part, I poked around the franchise options and looked at FAQs online and it seems that you can't alter the # of innings in a game outside of exhibition mode.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 57 GP, 18-28-11 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
05-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

I hope Philadelphia keeps losing so Hamels does indeed get seriously put on the block. I would give up quite a bit if we had permission to negotiate an extension prior to making the deal.

Old
05-12-2012, 07:08 PM
weems

Hech just homered to lead off the game
Hes now hittting .311 with a .824 OPS

I wonder at what point people might start to think hes putting it together and actually "can" hit.

Old
05-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
I hope Philadelphia keeps losing so Hamels does indeed get seriously put on the block. I would give up quite a bit if we had permission to negotiate an extension prior to making the deal.
He's probably going to be on the block either way imo. Even though he has been the best pitcher for Phillies they dont particularly need him with Doc, Lee, and the emergence of Worley.

Old
05-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Nullus Reverentia

I'd rather trade for Halladay back than Hamels.

Old
05-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
I'd rather trade for Halladay back than Hamels.
As biased as I am for Halladay, I have to objectively say that I prefer the player who is 6 years younger and doesn't have a loss in velocity.

Old
05-12-2012, 07:42 PM
weems

Our top Vegas prospects are heating up nicely

Gose 2 for 2 tonight so far
d'Arnaud just hit a 2 run HR

Old
05-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
As biased as I am for Halladay, I have to objectively say that I prefer the player who is 6 years younger and doesn't have a loss in velocity.
Halladay would/should be a lot cheaper as well.

Old
05-12-2012, 07:44 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Mr K does it again.

Old
05-12-2012, 08:27 PM
weems

Hech, Gose and d'Arnaud all have homered in tonights game

Old
05-13-2012, 01:05 PM
TootooTrain
-

Quote:
2b Kelly Johnson
SS Yunel Escobar
RF Jose Bautista
1B Edwin Encarnation
DH Vladimir Guerrero
So many people have been penciling in EE at 1st if Vlad finds the fountain of youth and grabs a spot on the team. There are a few problems with that. The fact is Lind will be here for righties with Vlad on the bench for righties. Vlad won't play every day. EE has certainly improved his defense, but putting him out on the field every day is just a bad idea. Last year was a horror show at both hot corners. You're just asking for trouble, and any mistakes/errors made could distract him from his hitting.

It's certainly not a bad idea for EE to move to 1B for a few starts to get Vlad in a game or two, or in a PH scenario, but it should not be written in stone.

Quote:
Hech, Gose and d'Arnaud all have homered in tonights game
D'Arnaud finding his groove again. Playing in this league should be helping him which hasn't really been the case so far. Here's to another championship run.

Old
05-13-2012, 01:11 PM
Schennanigans

Would love to just get Halladay back again.

Old
05-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Nullus Reverentia

How hard you think it would be to teach Josh Hamilton to play first base?

Old
05-13-2012, 01:20 PM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
We'd get permission to negotiate an extension but talks wouldn't go far, from what I've read and heard Hamels wants to head home to California and the Dodgers are the team that keeps getting brought up, so free agency is almost a guarantee with him if we acquire him. He'd strictly be a rental

Closed Thread