HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks Ticket Price Increases Coming, Changes for 2012-2013

Old
05-10-2012, 11:21 PM
Iron Chef

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mallard View Post
Ours go from. 35 to 40. 14% raise. Thank you management
I'm hoping to move over into that price bracket.

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:01 AM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
No. Forbes' annual NHL/NBA/MLB/NFL Franchise valuations are annual fluff pieces designed to sell magazines attract eyeballs and advertising clicks.

Take their numbers with a large grain of salt. Their numbers are their estimates. They have no special access to League or Team financials. There have been many cases of teams disputing the numbers as being grossly inaccurate.
The valuations are their numbers based on proprietary models, but the revenue and operating income numbers are from the NHL's financial statements.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
SVSE can easily move arena maintenance and management as well as sharks ice expansion and maintenance etc to the Sharks as an expense. Those are two main ones but there are probably a few hundred other expenses that the Sharks eat that are really SVSE overhead.
Except they can't do that in the financial statements that they submit to the league or include it in the data they present to the union when they negotiate the CBA.

I don't know why anyone would think the Sharks are making a lot of money. They are in a relatively small market with a relatively small TV contract, they have one of the highest payrolls in the league and it costs a mint to run a hockey team. Hockey is a break even business at best for probably 2/3rds of the teams in the league.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Drrocket9

I sat in 134 for the Cow Palace years, $12 the 1st year, $14 the 2nd

I live near SF, so i didnt have season tickets until after the lockout. i gave the league a chance as the high bowl end tickets were only $15 for the 05-06 season. I gave my team and the NHL loyalty as i thought they were sincere about keeping the business strong while still being able to offer a regular fan a chance at an affordable ticket

now this season those tickets will cost $26, for someone else.

Drrocket9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:12 AM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
Except they can't do that in the financial statements that they submit to the league or include it in the data they present to the union when they negotiate the CBA.

I don't know why anyone would think the Sharks are making a lot of money. They are in a relatively small market with a relatively small TV contract, they have one of the highest payrolls in the league and it costs a mint to run a hockey team. Hockey is a break even business at best for probably 2/3rds of the teams in the league.
Because they got a sweetheart lease that makes them lots of money on non-hockey events. If 2/3rds of the teams can't make money then it's time again to change the system or the owners can accept that the possible and likely growth in the teams worth and prestige are enough.

I have no sympathy for them is what I'm saying if you can't tell and if they can't keep a competitive team going they are gonna be in a world of hurt in my opinion. Sharks fans have been overly supportive of this team for 20 years and the Sharks have done little to keep the fans happy outside of a competitive team. They have raised prices ridiculously in the last 4 years and asked for their money earlier and earlier so that they collect extra interest and don't have to let their STH's know what they plan to do the following season.

/

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:17 AM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Because they got a sweetheart lease that makes them lots of money on non-hockey events. If 2/3rds of the teams can't make money then it's time again to change the system or the owners can accept that the possible and likely growth in the teams worth and prestige are enough.

I have no sympathy for them is what I'm saying if you can't tell and if they can't keep a competitive team going they are gonna be in a world of hurt in my opinion. Sharks fans have been overly supportive of this team for 20 years and the Sharks have done little to keep the fans happy outside of a competitive team. They have raised prices ridiculously in the last 4 years and asked for their money earlier and earlier so that they collect extra interest and don't have to let their STH's know what they plan to do the following season.

/
Yep the asking for money earlier and earlier so they can make a dime on us is really frustrating.

Chairman Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:26 AM
Iron Chef

They also stopped doing State of the Sharks. To me, it was really just a free comedy show + free soda/popcorn

Old
05-11-2012, 12:54 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:

Do you have a source for that comment about financial statements?

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:38 AM
one2gamble

Quote:

Show me where in the CBA it says Arena Maintenance and Practice facility maintenance is not a "hockey operations expense"?

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:56 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanJohns View Post
I sat in 134 for the Cow Palace years, $12 the 1st year, $14 the 2nd

I live near SF, so i didnt have season tickets until after the lockout. i gave the league a chance as the high bowl end tickets were only $15 for the 05-06 season. I gave my team and the NHL loyalty as i thought they were sincere about keeping the business strong while still being able to offer a regular fan a chance at an affordable ticket

now this season those tickets will cost $26, for someone else.
So tickets today basically cost 3 dollars more over inflationary increases?

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:22 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
Just got my STH renewal packet today. I suspect many people will receive theirs by tomorrow.

My seats are in 205 Row 9, went up $4/seat or 9.5% to $46/seat.

Well the good news is - the pricing structure makes sense. Pollak has since fixed his blog post - he originally had the center ice and attack zone prices reversed (or myself and several others misread it originally).

And the bad news is - my seats went up the most (14.3%).

For comparison, here is last seasons seating chart with STH and baseline single game prices:

Season Ticket Holder Prices
Old LocationNew Location'10-'11'11-'12'12-'13delta '11-'12delta '12-'13
VIP GlassVIP Glass$160$172$1925.0%11.6%
Sideline ClubSideline Club$115$122$1306.1%6.6%
Premium GlassPremium Glass$111$118$1266.3%6.8%
End/Corner ClubEnd/Corner Club$105$112$1206.7%7.1%
Premium LowerPremium Lower$85$90$965.9%6.7%
Lower ReservedLower Reserved - Attack End$71$75$805.6%6.7%
Lower ReservedLower Reserved$71$75$765.61.3%
Upper RimUpper Rim$80$85$906.3%5.9%
Sideline Upper (2-12)Premium Upper Sideline$49$53$598.2%11.3%
Sideline Upper (2-12)Premium Upper Corner - Attack End$49$53$568.2%5.7%
Sideline Upper (2-12)Premium Upper Corner$49$53$538.2%0%
Goalie View (2-12)Premium Upper Goal - Attack End$38$42$4610.5%9.5%
Goalie View (2-12)Premium Upper Goal$38$42$4310.5%2.4%
Sideline Upper (13+)Upper Sideline$31$35$4012.9%14.3%
Sideline Upper (13+)Upper Corner - Attack End$31$35$3812.9%8.6%
Sideline Upper (13+)Upper Corner$31$35$3612.9%2.3%
Goalie View (13+)Upper Goal View - Attack End$19$23$2621.1%13.0%
Goalie View (13+)Upper Goal View$19$23$2521.1%8.7%

kdb209 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:38 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:

Has the valuation of the team gone up since this ownership group took over?

If yes, then they're not breaking even. That'd be like saying you lose money investing because your broker has an annual fee. It doesn't matter if they are losing money or breaking even value of the assets are going up (which I'm going to guess they are). Otherwise no one would ever buy a sports team.

edit: Also, looking at that seating chart, tickets sure seem to cost a lot more than they used to. I'm glad I don't get season tickets

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:51 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
The valuations are their numbers based on proprietary models, but the revenue and operating income numbers are from the NHL's financial statements.
Source? I've seen no indication from Forbes or anyone else that that is the case. I have seen several owners across multiple sports dispute them - including a Leonsis quote stating (paraphrasing) - "They don't know what their talking about. They don't have any access to our books."

Revenues and profits from privately held companies (and from sub-units of publicly traded ones) are proprietary with no disclosure requirements. I would be very surprised if the NHL (or any other League) would disclose them to the media. And in terms of the CBA and HRR reporting - it is just that Hockey Related Revenues - no information concerning expenses/profits/Operating Income is shared with the NHLPA.

Old
05-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Franchise13

For the people who are worried about potentially losing out on guaranteed playoff tickets by not renewing, AMEX concierge is really good about getting you seats to events you want. I'm sure other cards have similar, it's definitely something worth looking into. You do pay a bit of a premium, but if the guarantee is what you want, they are reliable.

Franchise13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Iron Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post
For the people who are worried about potentially losing out on guaranteed playoff tickets by not renewing, AMEX concierge is really good about getting you seats to events you want. I'm sure other cards have similar, it's definitely something worth looking into. You do pay a bit of a premium, but if the guarantee is what you want, they are reliable.
Hmmm intriguing. Honestly, the only reason I get STs is so I dont have to worry about playoff tickets and pay scalper prices like I did in the past. My girlfriend and I are agonizing over the decision to renew right now, so if I could use my AMEX to get playoff tickets, that would really make the decision easy for us.

Old
05-11-2012, 02:13 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
Show me where in the CBA it says Arena Maintenance and Practice facility maintenance is not a "hockey operations expense"?
It doesn't - since the CBA has absolutely nothing to say on "hockey operations expenses". Teams report revenues (HRR) and not expenses or profits(*).

(*)Certain HRR revenues are defined as being net of Direct Costs (costs related 100% to that source of revenue - broadcaster salaries, concessions labor/materiel, etc). Nothing in the operation or management of the Arena would be considered a Direct Cost w.r.t. HRR definitions.

Old
05-11-2012, 02:31 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
Hmmm intriguing. Honestly, the only reason I get STs is so I dont have to worry about playoff tickets and pay scalper prices like I did in the past. My girlfriend and I are agonizing over the decision to renew right now, so if I could use my AMEX to get playoff tickets, that would really make the decision easy for us.
Interesting, I'm in the same situation with the 10 game pack, it's basically for playoff tickets. I wonder if my VISA signature (which I think has some similar concierge thing) would also help me get playoff tickets...

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 03:24 PM
Eighth Fret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post
Which Amex do you have? Also, do you have a ballpark for the premium you pay for playoff tickets vs. what the scalper premium is?

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 03:28 PM
deekortiz3

Damn... Pollak's blog post made me think I was just getting $3 increase, it is going to be $6! 11.3%! Ugh... I have to move or give up being a STH all together I think.

deekortiz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Franchise13

I use a higher end AMEX atm, as I've had them for a while. Really good service etc...

If you have the concierge line posted anywhere on your bill, you should give them a call to see what they can do for you. I know Amex has tons of early opportunity purchases that pop up for contested seats etc. iirc the LAK WCF tixs were released early to Amex cardholders.

As far as the fee goes, it's a basic concierge fee (think this is plan based) + cost of tixs, maybe a handling/ship fee? Last time we personally used it was to take my daughters to see Taylor swift at staples while we happened to be down there. Didn't think we'd get tix, but Amex came through. Coworker has been successful in getting sharks tixs through the concierge the past few postseasons.

I don't know for sure, since I rarely if ever buy tickets from the secondary market, but I'd imagine this is cheaper than that. Part of the selling point of a card with an annual fee is perks like this, wouldn't make sense otherwise I think.

EDIT: Just asked the Mrs. about anything that might help you guys out with being able to get the Playoff tickets through concierge services and she basically said the same thing: You just have to ask, but they'll be able to assist you with almost anything. Seriously, you can ask for anything. I bet if he asks, KM can probably have himself put on the list at Icon Lounge at Staples or be let in Las Palmas in LA lol... They might not comp his Cristal though and they might seat him next to Dustin Penner!

She said she is certain Visa Signature and JP Morgan's Premier club have similar services.

Last edited by Franchise13: 05-11-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old
05-11-2012, 04:14 PM
steveckl

Thanks for the info. I've recently been considering ponying up for one of the higher end AMEX cards for the concierge (primarily for hard-to-get restaurant reservations) and travel benefits... and if concierge really can get me playoff tickets easily, then that makes it much more attractive.

How much lead time would you say concierge generally needs to get playoff/popular tickets?

steveckl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Franchise13

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveckl View Post
Thanks for the info. I've recently been considering ponying up for one of the higher end AMEX cards for the concierge (primarily for hard-to-get restaurant reservations) and travel benefits... and if concierge really can get me playoff tickets easily, then that makes it much more attractive.

How much lead time would you say concierge generally needs to get playoff/popular tickets?
In the Taylor Swift tix example, it was the day before iirc. Not sure if she's more or less a tougher ticket than SJ Playoff tixs.

Old
05-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Splarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob330i View Post
KDB, I tend to agree. I sit in sec 214, row 14, two rows above the next price tier (actually two price tiers) and two seats in from the blue line aisle. I think it's been the sweet spot cost vs. view and unless I win the lotto, will hold these seats forever.

But it does rankle me to have to eat a price increase when they had a first round exit and they didn't spend to the cap this year.

I'm in 214 row 9 and I'm going from 53/game to 59/game. I'm pretty sure I'll be looking to move on select a seat night. If I don't see anything I like, I might just move the money to a 10 pack instead of full season.

This just all leaves a terrible taste in my mouth after an awful season.

Splarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Splarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekortiz3 View Post
Damn... Pollak's blog post made me think I was just getting $3 increase, it is going to be $6! 11.3%! Ugh... I have to move or give up being a STH all together I think.

I was in the same boat. I was upset with the $3 increase, but I could deal with it. Then I opened the envelope from the Sharks and was just mad.

Splarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Iron Chef

Why is everyone complaining? Didnt you read that if you pay by May 29th, you know, before you have had the opportunity to see if you can downgrade first or see what moves the team makes, you're automatically entered into a contest for an all expense paid road Sharks game, which may very well be in Anaheim for all we know?

And what this about the Sharks being heartless to their fans? Didn't you read the clause that said that they won't charge the final payment until the new CBA has been established?