HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks Ticket Price Increases Coming, Changes for 2012-2013

Old
05-23-2012, 02:45 PM
bbison

vCash: 500
I'm not sure what to do...I've had 2 of the 4 1/4 shares in my group on a nice pair of lowers. I love my seats. Even at the new prices. But there's turmoil/politics in the group, and I'm ready to tell them all I'm done.

But then what? The Sharks say they won't have anything similar available as full season tickets at Select-A-Seat. Even though some who sit around us want to downgrade or have had enough of increases. Maybe back to Craigslist...plenty of people looking for partners.

bbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 07:09 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbison View Post
I'm not sure what to do...I've had 2 of the 4 1/4 shares in my group on a nice pair of lowers. I love my seats. Even at the new prices. But there's turmoil/politics in the group, and I'm ready to tell them all I'm done.

But then what? The Sharks say they won't have anything similar available as full season tickets at Select-A-Seat. Even though some who sit around us want to downgrade or have had enough of increases. Maybe back to Craigslist...plenty of people looking for partners.
They have no idea yet what is going to be available at Select a Seat, as the deadline hasn't even passed for people to decide whether to renew or not. Last year there were some seats available in the good lower club sections, particularly if you were willing to take 3 seats. And my guess is more people will be letting go of seats this year than did last year.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
They have no idea yet what is going to be available at Select a Seat, as the deadline hasn't even passed for people to decide whether to renew or not. Last year there were some seats available in the good lower club sections, particularly if you were willing to take 3 seats. And my guess is more people will be letting go of seats this year than did last year.
I don't know if they will do it anymore, but they let us take 3 of 4 about 5 years ago and we got an aisle seat. Then a couple years later they let us drop one of the seats. Feel very fortunate. We've had tickets since day one, so I don't know if that made a difference.

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 02:20 PM
bbison

Quote:

That's good info, thanks. Already have 4 new options to split tix, and one long-time STH who wants out just for 2012-13 (lost job), which buys me some time. Good to have options.

Old
05-24-2012, 02:37 PM
Stickmata

I decided today not to renew. With the price increase, the state of the team and how soft the secondary market was this past season for club level seats, I just can't justify it.

Old
05-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Quote:
I decided today not to renew. With the price increase, the state of the team and how soft the secondary market was this past season for club level seats, I just can't justify it.

It's amazing how quickly people are being priced out of major sporting events. Your talking about 2 decent tickets costing near the same as a months worth of gas. The average person has a tough time justifying going to more than one game, let alone buying season tickets.

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 04:13 PM

vCash: 50
My 209 seats will not be available. We do need to be realistic with our ticket prices though. If you look at many other cities, our tickets are a steal. Yes, I was pissed when my $14 tickets went up to what is now $25 for next season but in reality, they are a pretty darn good ticket for the NHL.

209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 04:26 PM
bbison

Quote:
How soft was the market? Sideline or end club? I never had any trouble recouping face value in the aftermarket if I decided not to go, even for weeknight games against non-glamor opponents (non-club 114s.) But I can imagine $260/pair for sideline club seats on a Tuesday against Columbus might be a tough re-sell.

I only ask because a couple options I'm looking at involve club seats.

Old
05-24-2012, 04:58 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
How soft was the market? Sideline or end club? I never had any trouble recouping face value in the aftermarket if I decided not to go, even for weeknight games against non-glamor opponents (non-club 114s.) But I can imagine $260/pair for sideline club seats on a Tuesday against Columbus might be a tough re-sell.

I only ask because a couple options I'm looking at involve club seats.
I dont know about club but from what I can tell lower bowl non club seats have been soft for two years

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 05:46 PM
bproeder
The rich man's Bozak

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but the mods can move it if there is a better place.

I am looking for someone to split half or a portion of my 2 seats in Section 212 Row 3 (Sharks attack 2X and seats are unobstructed). My seats increased $3 per this season to $56 per seat which is not terrible, but I'm a little annoyed that the Sharks expect me to commit by next week.

The only thing I know other than the LA Kings are playing for the Cup is that DW is coming back. I don't know who the coach is, what the PK and PP philosophies will be, which players are coming or going etc. It's like buying a car without being able to see it or drive it.

That said, I am a hockey fan that still wants to see games live, but at a lower overall cost. I would be an easy ticket partner. I don't need to see all of the great teams and am flexible on nights of the week. I am also willing to come up with an amiable split on playoff tickets if the Sharks get there. If you have possible interest in a 50% or 33% share, PM me.

bproeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 05:48 PM
bbison

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
I don't know about club but from what I can tell lower bowl non club seats have been soft for two years
Soft, as in you couldn't make money on them? Or soft, as in you couldn't even get your money back? Even at $90 each, I had no trouble finding someone on CL to take mine for any regular season game, if I couldn't go. But I could see if you were trying just to break even using Stubhub or something...that might be tougher.

Old
05-24-2012, 05:50 PM
bbison

Quote:
Originally Posted by bproeder View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but the mods can move it if there is a better place.

I am looking for someone to split half or a portion of my 2 seats in Section 212 Row 3 (Sharks attack 2X and seats are unobstructed). My seats increased $3 per this season to $56 per seat which is not terrible, but I'm a little annoyed that the Sharks expect me to commit by next week.

The only thing I know other than the LA Kings are playing for the Cup is that DW is coming back. I don't know who the coach is, what the PK and PP philosophies will be, which players are coming or going etc. It's like buying a car without being able to see it or drive it.

That said, I am a hockey fan that still wants to see games live, but at a lower overall cost. I would be an easy ticket partner. I don't need to see all of the great teams and am flexible on nights of the week. I am also willing to come up with an amiable split on playoff tickets if the Sharks get there. If you have possible interest in a 50% or 33% share, PM me.
Maybe here? http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1190555

Old
05-24-2012, 05:54 PM
bproeder
The rich man's Bozak

Thanks bbison! Can one of the mods please move my post or remove it so I can re-post?- Gracias!

bproeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
It's amazing how quickly people are being priced out of major sporting events. Your talking about 2 decent tickets costing near the same as a months worth of gas. The average person has a tough time justifying going to more than one game, let alone buying season tickets.
For me it's not so much the cost of the tickets (though when you add in the cost of parking, food, drink, etc., it get's ridiculous), it's that there were so many stinker games last season (more than I can ever remember) and the resale market was flat dead, at least at the club level.

Last edited by Stickmata: 05-24-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old
05-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Soft, as in you couldn't make money on them? Or soft, as in you couldn't even get your money back? Even at $90 each, I had no trouble finding someone on CL to take mine for any regular season game, if I couldn't go. But I could see if you were trying just to break even using Stubhub or something...that might be tougher.
I had $112 corner club tickets last year and I couldn't find a buyer on CL ever. Nobody even responded once, unless I dropped them under $100 and even then, no actual sales. There were way more sellers and way more brokers on CL last year than the year prior. Prior year at $78 corner seats I had no trouble selling any of them.

Old
05-24-2012, 07:36 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
soft as in unless it was a weekend or a real popular team I was losing money on them

Old
05-24-2012, 10:33 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Clear and definitive proof that Rick Nash is coming to San Jose.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 11:16 PM
bbison

Quote:
For me it's not so much the cost of the tickets (though when you add in the cost of parking, food, drink, etc., it get's ridiculous), it's that there were so many stinker games last season (more than I can ever remember) and the resale market was flat dead, at least at the club level.
So true all around. We dumped the parking passes years ago...there's indoor parking for $5 and other parking for free nearby, and my fat ass could use the walk. We bring food most nights, or grab a slice-to-go at Amici's for $5 rather than $9.50 inside the Tank. Those $200 date nights add up fast.

Good info folks, thanks.

Old
05-25-2012, 01:44 AM
BrianSmith
Chokers

Confirmed on the soft resale market. We always sell our extra's at face value - season ticket prices.

We have row 8's in 124 (sharks only score once there, but they are NOT in the club section so they cost less than 100.

It was damn hard to sell those tickets - you could never include the parking pass, and the flakes on CL are tiring - it just isn't worth it. We used to have 8 tickets in that section, we've since shrunk to 6, and soon we will probably shrink to 4/2.

BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:30 AM
exchequer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
Very well said. As much as I love going to the game, I couldn't put that ahead of daily living so I find myself only going once a year. If the fan base is large enough and you have a hoard of fans willing to go at least once a year, then you can raise prices to the moon. As passionate as people here are about the Sharks, there's an affordability line that will be crossed at some point.

exchequer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:04 PM
Eighth Fret

Quote:
I had $112 corner club tickets last year and I couldn't find a buyer on CL ever. Nobody even responded once, unless I dropped them under $100 and even then, no actual sales. There were way more sellers and way more brokers on CL last year than the year prior. Prior year at $78 corner seats I had no trouble selling any of them.
Really? Two years ago I'd find lots of good deals on club tickets on CL. Last year, I couldn't find one many people willing to sell club tickets for anything less than like a $50 mark-up.

Then again, I only looked for weekend games so that may have been the reason

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Gobabygo

It's now official.

We will not be renewing our tickets for next year. *Although it wasn't the only reason, the "penalty" for having seats on the attacking end played a large role in our decision.*

Gobabygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:27 PM
one2gamble

we officially walked away, I wrote the rep a list of reasons why and thats that. Kind of sad really.

Old
05-25-2012, 02:19 PM
Iron Chef

I know this sounds silly, but I actually get sad when I read each of your posts about not renewing. It's like there's no hope for us and we're going to have an awful season next year. I know that by not renewing, it's people arent saying "we're giving up on this team" but something about seeing people "leave" just makes it feel that way. Again, I know that sounds silly

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:59 PM
NoBS

The deadline for a decision appars to be Tuesday, at least for my renewal. About 85% chance I will not renew. My tickets are in Upper Reserved Center, 8th row, on the aisle, sharks attack twice end. I had a hard time getting even face value for many weekend games and I ended up not being able to sell at least two sets of weekday games. With higher prices, unless demand increases next season, I will lose more $$.

On the other hand I really want to support the team.

Ugh...

NoBS is offline   Reply With Quote