HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 3 Western Conference Final: Kings vs. Coyotes Series Discussion (Kings Forum)

Old
05-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
The Kings forwards have to punish the Coyotes mobile defense, and on the other side of the puck, the Kings have to funnel most of Phoenix's shots to the outside perimeter, as they have forwards like Vrbata and Whitney who like to cut to the middle of the ice.

Boedker possesses the most amount of speed on that team, so they have to keep forcing him wide and not allow him to cut through the crease and middle of the ice with his outside speed. So long as they play their forwards just as they did against Vancouver and St. Louis, the Kings should be able to keep their scoring chances at a minimum and eliminate the Coyotes in 5 games (6 tops).

Kopitar and Brown seem to always play well against Phoenix. Kopitar and Brown each recorded 5 points in 6 games against the Coyotes this season, but it seems like they're playing their best hockey right now during the playoffs. If they play with the same composure and intensity as they have in the past two rounds, the Kings will come out on top.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Brad Doty
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMajor View Post
the only thing that scares me about this series is Mike Smith's ability to play the puck. our forwards need to be relentless with their shooting and our dmen need to have their heads on a swivel. if our boys keep playing the way they have been, we'll take this series in 5 games. GKG!
This might be a good time to pull the fake-dump-in-shot-on-goal play

Agreed about the depth of the defense of the Yotes. Also a testament to their style that we've outshot them in (nearly?) every game and they've still done well. Bend but not break and counterpunch is the name of their game.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:21 PM
outofrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
I'd like to make a proposal. Can we Kings fans, as a group, make a pledge ahead of time not to make any stupid conspiracy-theory complaints that "of course Phoenix is doing better, the league wants them to cause it owns them" if bounces and/or calls are perceived not to go the Kings way?

I hereby make that pledge.

I might still complain about officiating at any point, but if I do (and I hope not to), it'll be a complaint about a specific person, not any kind of "league conspiracy".

Join me, fellow Kings fans!
I'd like to say count me in, but the past two years I've seen the refs make some seriously shady calls for the Yotes. I watched their series against the Hawks, and it was the same damn thing.

Count me out.

outofrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofrange View Post
I'd like to say count me in, but the past two years I've seen the refs make some seriously shady calls for the Yotes. I watched their series against the Hawks, and it was the same damn thing.

Count me out.
So the league conspired to suspend Raffi Torres in order for them to help the team reach the Conference finals. Kindly remove the tinfoil cap.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

I really really really hate that the Kings are being looked at as a favourite here. Scares me a little. Coyotes are dangerous team since they just keep coming. Veteran team, no quit in the them, play the system religiously. They do not have the top end talent that the Kings do, but they are damn fine team and these Kings in 4/5 predictions are off, IMO. I know we have been fantastic in the first two rounds, but this is still an 8th seeded team. I do think the Kings can win this series, but I do anticipate facing plenty of adversity, especially when considering the Kings have struggled with the Coyotes in the past.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:41 PM
outofrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
So the league conspired to suspend Raffi Torres in order for them to help the team reach the Conference finals. Kindly remove the tinfoil cap.
Dude, that **** needed to be suspended yesterday. Not doing so would be completely indefensible. Also if you recall, he didn't even get a penalty on that play.

I'm saying how they get calls in their favor throughout a game. You don't have to believe it or like it, but it's something that exists.

outofrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:48 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy the elf View Post
i totally guessed the presale password for tix in phoenix. If anyone wants it, let me know.
whiteout

?

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Nex06

Quote:
the only thing that scares me about this series is Mike Smith's ability to play the puck. our forwards need to be relentless with their shooting and our dmen need to have their heads on a swivel. if our boys keep playing the way they have been, we'll take this series in 5 games. GKG!
Have you seen any of his blunders recently? I remember 3 huge blunders when he was playing the puck in last... well, let's say 25 games. He was openly criticized in the studio for his puck handling and it was suggested that his coach should have instructed him to drop his aggressive puck handling.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Cruel11
Harley Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
whiteout

?
Doan.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
whiteout

?
It was DOAN but after the game you didn't need it anymore. I don't think that changed?

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

It wouldn't surprise me if Sutter adjusts the strategy a bit, to back off slightly on the forecheck and clog up the neutral zone.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:03 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
the only thing that scares me about this series is Mike Smith's ability to play the puck.

Watch! Lewis will steal it from him behind the net & set up a goal!!!

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:05 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
The Kings forwards have to punish the Coyotes mobile defense, and on the other side of the puck, the Kings have to funnel most of Phoenix's shots to the outside perimeter, as they have forwards like Vrbata and Whitney who like to cut to the middle of the ice.

Boedker possesses the most amount of speed on that team, so they have to keep forcing him wide and not allow him to cut through the crease and middle of the ice with his outside speed. So long as they play their forwards just as they did against Vancouver and St. Louis, the Kings should be able to keep their scoring chances at a minimum and eliminate the Coyotes in 5 games (6 tops).

Kopitar and Brown seem to always play well against Phoenix. Kopitar and Brown each recorded 5 points in 6 games against the Coyotes this season, but it seems like they're playing their best hockey right now during the playoffs. If they play with the same composure and intensity as they have in the past two rounds, the Kings will come out on top.
I agree, and I'll just add one thing that I think is particularly important: the Kings' forwards have to backcheck hard. If they do that, they can smother the Coyotes, as they did the Blues. If not, the neutral zone will open up and it will be harder to keep those shots to the outside.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:25 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Not sure how valid it is, but saw this on twitter,

Andy Strickland ‏
Quote:
Rumors floating around of Drew Doughty playing with a significant injury...hearing an ankle #toughness #kings

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:35 PM
theMajor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
Have you seen any of his blunders recently? I remember 3 huge blunders when he was playing the puck in last... well, let's say 25 games. He was openly criticized in the studio for his puck handling and it was suggested that his coach should have instructed him to drop his aggressive puck handling.
i have seen him misplay it a couple times, but the other team almost never capitalizes on it. hopefully the Kings can go through the tapes and get an idea of what to expect. id love nothing more than to have a King read his play and make him pay for it. it seems like the entire Coyotes offense relies on him playing the puck, if we can make him pay early in the series it would be a huge advantage to our boys

theMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:48 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I really really really hate that the Kings are being looked at as a favourite here. Scares me a little. Coyotes are dangerous team since they just keep coming. Veteran team, no quit in the them, play the system religiously. They do not have the top end talent that the Kings do, but they are damn fine team and these Kings in 4/5 predictions are off, IMO. I know we have been fantastic in the first two rounds, but this is still an 8th seeded team. I do think the Kings can win this series, but I do anticipate facing plenty of adversity, especially when considering the Kings have struggled with the Coyotes in the past.
I feel the same way, but I disagree about Phoenix not having top end talent.

The Kings out worked St. Louis and Vancouver. The Coyotes are a team that rarely gets out worked.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Cruel11
Harley Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
Not sure how valid it is, but saw this on twitter,

Andy Strickland ‏
There was a video of DD playing soccer before game 4....plus didn't he say Petro was out with a concussion? I'm sure DD is banged up, but i don't think he has a significant ankle injury.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:57 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

I'm sure Doughty is fine. if he is banged up he's got a few days to heal.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if Sutter adjusts the strategy a bit, to back off slightly on the forecheck and clog up the neutral zone.
I don't know about that. I'd let the Coyotes be passive in the neutral zone while we initiate the attack. Kings have been very successful against the number 1 and 2 seeds by swarming the puck without hesitation and being very very smart as we angle in. Our forwards are just about covering 100 to 120 degrees around the puck carriers and limiting passing options.

Our players have got such great feel and timing together right now that I don't think you want to screw with it. We've got everyone picking the right time to jump in, hit or strip, or pull back to cover for a teammate. That is a very difficult thing to master but it's one of the reasons the Kings are 8-1. We're attacking in waves, initiating, and controlling the tempo. Let's keep the opponents dizzy. We are playing great attacking hockey right now in both zones. I just don't see that changing at all.

I do think we might see line changes in the middle of periods that keep big fast players (Nolan, King, Penner, maybe Clifford) right in front of Smith. We'll have to play a tighter triangle in front of the net. Our guys have got pretty quick hands for big guys and they'll do well in scrambles in front of the goalie. Its also going to wear down Phoenix D trying to move our guys out of the crease. Sutter might move these four guys around from line to line to mix up Phoenix's D coverages. We want to keep the puck bouncing around in front of Smith not ricoheting off the boards. Lots of low wrist shots from the points? I think that will be key for goals.

Long term strategy? Chip the puck deep, turn their D, and hard quick checks to wear down the Coyotes defensive structure over two or three games. That's one of the things that happened to both Vancouver and St Louis... their D got slower and more weary as the series played on. Started making bad decisions.

It's going to be tough, though. A very tough series. It'll take hard play and smart players to move on....

Last edited by Duc620: 05-08-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I think the Kings will struggle against the speed of Phoenix and Smith. Kings couldn't score against Schneider and I think it could be the same against Smith.

The Kings need to create a lot of traffic in front and the PP needs to score goals if the Kings want to win the series.

Chicago had a ton of shots against Smith but couldn't score on the PP.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Duc620

Chicago had a bad habit of skating past the play.... not waiting around in front. Take a shot and skate through looking for someone else to grab the puck and pass it for another play.

We don't have that habit right now. But Smith is going to be real tough. Until we score a couple. Then he'll be human again.

We just need to score our couple before Phoenix does.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 07:02 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Deflections and 2nd opportunities are the things that beat goalies that are top of their game. The Kings are going to have to shoot initially to create rebounds and then drive the net and stay there.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I'm worried how the kings will react to being favored in the series. They haven't responded well to success in the past.

Kings only trailed st. Louis in the first period of game one. Can't see that continuing against Phoenix.

Too many days to wait.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 08:06 PM
vh2k7

Send a message via AIM to vh2k7 Send a message via MSN to vh2k7 Send a message via Skype™ to vh2k7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I'm worried how the kings will react to being favored in the series. They haven't responded well to success in the past.

Kings only trailed st. Louis in the first period of game one. Can't see that continuing against Phoenix.

Too many days to wait.
they reacted to the success of beating the canucks by sweeping the blues

i was worried a bit too, but i mean, they've already had their experience in failing while having expectations (the entire regular season). they figured it out by the end. i'm worried, merely because why WOULDN'T i be worried about a team we're facing in the conference finals? on the same token, i get the feeling this coyotes team is a whole lot more '10 habs than anything else. i mean, they're better than that, certainly more talented, and they've been doing this for a lot longer than the habs were when they made their run...but i think we're very rightfully the favorites. as long as we don't panic and get frustrated by not being able to score as well (reminder: we didn't panic and we didn't get frustrated against schneider who allowed 4 goals in 3 games) then i think we'll be fine.

i think it's HUGELY important to get the power play going a bit. it doesn't need to be dynamite or anything, it just needs to be better than 1 goal in the last 7 games or whatever. i can't see these teams giving up too much 5v5, but we're pretty adept at getting on the power play. need to be just a bit better. the margin for error in this series could be so small that a minute improvement in the power play makes a large difference (just 2 or 3 pp goals in the series, even).

vh2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 08:09 PM
drbob

Kings win in 6 games, cuz:

our top line is better than theirs,

our goalie is on fire, theirs is too, but a hair less,

their PP had better be careful about our ability to get SH goals.

We can split the first two road games, win both at home,

and then each wins at home, so we win in 6.

Carter will play better and better, as will King and Nolan, and Voynov will be very good,

but it will be a tough series, with 2-3 games going to OT's.

Hate being the fave in this series but Sutter won't let the guys get overconfident, that's for sure.

Go Kings Go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

drbob is offline   Reply With Quote