HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Western Conference Finals - (3) Phoenix Coyotes vs. (8) Los Angeles Kings

View Poll Results: Who wins?
Coyotes in 4 2 0.33%
Coyotes in 5 14 2.32%
Coyotes in 6 80 13.27%
Coyotes in 7 82 13.60%
Kings in 4 20 3.32%
Kings in 5 80 13.27%
Kings in 6 269 44.61%
Kings in 7 56 9.29%
Voters: 603. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2012, 05:34 PM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
I don't see either team having a decided advantage based upon the playoffs to date. Despite knocking off the 1 and 2 seeds, one could argue that both teams playing against the Kings made a ton of unforced errors and didn't play at near their best efforts. On the other hand, the teams that played the Coyotes played very well in most games, certainly at a higher level than the Kings' opponents.
Yes, yes we get it. LA is lucky to be here and will get rolled by the invincible Yotes who are in the WCFs because they beat the best.. or at least teams who played their best.

Old
05-08-2012, 05:36 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra427 View Post
Vancouver was not happy with two goals Luongo let in, and yes I did watch both games, that is why they switched.
Ah, I see. Two goals in two games is enough to shove Luongo into "not playing well" territory. We'll see if you hold Smith (or Quick) to that same standard.

Old
05-08-2012, 05:42 PM
cobra427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
Bull.

Luongo was stellar in Game 1. Schneider was stellar in Games 3-5, allowed 4 total goals over that span.

The Kings OUTPLAYED(including the phenomenal play of J. Quick) the Canucks, period. It didn't matter how good their goaltending was.
In the coyotes series that just ended, not two series ago, Renne gave up 3 goals in games 3-5, Coyotes won 2 of them.
Elliot had the worst save % of any goalie left in the playoffs other than Bryzgalov. I think Elliot's poor goal tending and soft goals contributed to the Kings success just like Crawfords soft goals in over time helped the coyotes(two series ago)....

Old
05-08-2012, 05:49 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
Did you actually watch either of the games that Luongo played for the Canucks in the first two games of the WCQF? I'm going to bet the answer is "no" -- because for the life of me, I can't remember any soft goals that Luongo let in in those first two games. Vancouver was not happy with the play of their TEAM, and wanted to try to activate them by putting Schneider in net -- it had nothing to do with their confidence in Luongo as a "number one goalie that is playing well".

But, that said, I'll just hope the Phoenix players are writing off the Kings the same way you are.
Seriously? How about the one that Mike Richards put through his feet from the goal line?

Old
05-08-2012, 05:50 PM
SLang

Vancouver changed goaltenders. Vancouver juggled lines.

St. Louis juggled lines big-time and made personnel changes.

Both teams made big adjustments in an effort to counter the Kings. All for naught. One got bounced in 5, the other in 4.

Guess how many adjustments the Kings made throughout the two series?

One. Penner got himself onto the 2nd line.

That's it.

As for Kings fans being upset at others saying they got lucky....they HAVE had luck. Matt Greene with 4 points in 4 games vs. St Louis? I don't see how there's not at least SOME luck involved there.....

But luck is required as well, for a deep playoff run. I don't have a problem saying they've gotten lucky. As long as people don't say it's ALL been luck.

Old
05-08-2012, 05:53 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
As for Kings fans being upset at others saying they got lucky....they HAVE had luck. Matt Greene with 4 points in 4 games vs. St Louis? I don't see how there's not at least SOME luck involved there.....

But luck is required as well, for a deep playoff run. I don't have a problem saying they've gotten lucky. As long as people don't say it's ALL been luck.
Teams create their own luck by relentlessly attacking and not letting up. Force the other teams to F up.

Old
05-08-2012, 05:59 PM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post

The Yotes didn't need luck. Go ask some of their fans.

Old
05-08-2012, 06:18 PM
zeppelin97

Brown was a troll last series. He was getting inside the Blues heads with his physical play. He was drawing many penalties. He intentionally targets the other teams leaders (Sedins, Backes). I expect he will be hitting Doan hard to get him off his game and try to get in his head. Coyotes need to stay composed, and try not to retaliate.

Old
05-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

I think Coyotes take this in six. Should be a fun series to watch though, lots of close games.

Old
05-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin97 View Post
Brown was a troll last series. He was getting inside the Blues heads with his physical play. He was drawing many penalties. He intentionally targets the other teams leaders (Sedins, Backes). I expect he will be hitting Doan hard to get him off his game and try to get in his head. Coyotes need to stay composed, and try not to retaliate.
The Coyotes have been good at not allowing the other teams to get into their heads in the playoffs, especially with how very hard Nashville had crashed the net on Mike Smith in the last series. If we are going to talk about getting into people's heads, Martin Hanzal has done a great job and getting the likes of Kopitar, Jumbo Joe, and other 1st line centers in the Pacific Division off their game.

All the series wins by both teams have been against teams from other divsions, this one will be with both teams who know each other better than the rest of the NHL teams outside of the Pacific Division.

Old
05-08-2012, 06:34 PM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Teams create their own luck by relentlessly attacking and not letting up. Force the other teams to F up.

You and I both are Kings fans, but we're gonna disagree here. While I agree you make your own luck most of the time, sometimes the puck bounces over your stick, other times it lies perfectly flat......that's the kinda luck I'm talking about.

Old
05-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Redcoyote
Hungry

Both teams have played very well and have taken everything they have. They werent handed games or series. If mistakes were made by their opponents they were forced.

Both goalies have played amazingly. We will find out soon enough who will perform better on this stage but up until now neither has been significantly better than the other.

both teams will be very phyiscal. And there may be a few fights too.

I dont think either team deserves to be downplayed at this point though.

Last edited by Redcoyote: 05-09-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old
05-08-2012, 06:47 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoyote View Post
Both teams have played very well and have taken everything they have. They werent handed games or series. If mistakes were made by their opponents they were forced.

Both goalies have played amazingly. We will find out soon enough who will perform better on this stage but up until now neither has beeb significantly better than the other.

This^

The voice of reason.

Old
05-08-2012, 06:56 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Brown looks for every player on the other team, but yeah some more than others. Some of his more memorable hits have come on Klesla. Basically if you're a defenseman and loose the puck in your skates, don't look down to find it.

Old
05-08-2012, 07:09 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoyote View Post

Both goalies have played amazingly. We will find out soon enough who will perform better on this stage but up until now neither has beeb significantly better than the other.

Thoroughly agree with everything in this post (once corrected for spelling) That's why I can't bring myself to even make a prediction in the poll. I can pretty much see ANY outcome -- it all depends on how the games evolve on the ice.

Man, I want the teams that are trailing in both Eastern series to advance... but I also want those series to be done sooner so we can get to the WCF earlier! Ahh, the slings and arrows of being a fan!

Old
05-08-2012, 07:14 PM
BigGumby

Quote:
And Brown and Doan play a very similar game. Both are very physical and their physicality ups their entire game.

It's a lot of fun to watch these two battle it out.

Old
05-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Fielddog

Don't care who wins the series, but the NHL (nor the NBA) shouldn't own a team that is in the playoff's.
It just opens up a can of worms if the referee's make a game deciding call that decides a game or the series.
That being said, Kings and Quick in 5 or maybe 6 games. Too many weapons and great defense

Old
05-08-2012, 07:51 PM
wilycoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fielddog View Post
Don't care who wins the series, but the NHL (nor the NBA) shouldn't own a team that is in the playoff's.
It just opens up a can of worms if the referee's make a game deciding call that decides a game or the series.
That being said, Kings and Quick in 5 or maybe 6 games. Too many weapons and great defense
So your solution is what? The Coyotes should be banned from the postseason? (That will drive up their value!) The NHL should give away the team to anyone that wants them for free once the playoffs start (Again, this will increase their value!)?

It is absolutely not an ideal situation, but if you trust the referees to be impartial when the NHL doesn't own a team (instead of getting Philly and perhaps Vancouver in the SCF every year), then it isn't a stretch to trust them now.

Old
05-08-2012, 08:31 PM
FilthyNote*

Yotes will surprise everybody again

Old
05-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Super Schenn Bros
Hup Holland Hup!

vCash: 536
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avcS0aYJ2a8

Can't wait for game 1! Go Kings!

Old
05-08-2012, 09:15 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
Looks like a very close series. It'll be a goalie duel. I think Quick will prevail.

Old
05-08-2012, 09:22 PM
HawkinMI

Hard to go against the Kings the way they've been playing. LA in 6 hard-fought games.

Old
05-08-2012, 09:24 PM
GiveAFlyingPuck
Gary Bettman Rocks!

vCash: 193
Out on a limb here: 1st game 5 - 4 Coyotes win.

Old
05-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZflyingPuck View Post
Out on a limb here: 1st game 5 - 4 Coyotes win.
Honestly, all that was heard before the Blues-Kings series was how low scoring it would be, how it was boring hockey, neither team could score. In fact I said the exact thing myself. Yeah, that didn't happen at all. I predict the same thing here, will all the talk of Quick/Smith, I think we will see plenty of scoring.

Of course, I don't think/want the Coyotes to win as in your prediction , but I can get behind the score

Old
05-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Yes, yes we get it. LA is lucky to be here and will get rolled by the invincible Yotes who are in the WCFs because they beat the best.. or at least teams who played their best.
You forgot to add that the NHL wants us to win.

Closed Thread