HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Resign jokinen!!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-11-2012, 07:39 PM
  #51
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,936
vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrwastheBeatles View Post
You can't just look at contracts that already exist (when were they signed? were they RFAs at the time?) That is ridiculous.

The question is - and what Xelstyle was getting at - is: what can $3.5m get you ON THE CURRENT UFA MARKET? Because that is the only place you can go and spend the money.

If Dustin Brown were a UFA this summer, he would get more than $5m (maybe $6m). THAT'S what you have to compare.
Well met. I think Stajan is as bad as people make them out to be. After Stajan's hit from Staal, he performed poorly. And then he got stuck on a line with two trees carrying hockey sticks, hence his numbers were terrible. But there were some nights where Stajan was the best player on our team. And once he was given skilled wingers, we seen his numbers go up.

IMO, Stajan could put up 50pts again with better linemates and a new coach.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 08:36 PM
  #52
DoubleJ96
Registered User
 
DoubleJ96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 390
vCash: 500
I would have thought I was the only one who wouldn't mind seeing Jokinen back. As long as it's 2 years max I'd re-sign him.

DoubleJ96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:54 PM
  #53
OrrwastheBeatles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Well met. I think Stajan is as bad as people make them out to be. After Stajan's hit from Staal, he performed poorly. And then he got stuck on a line with two trees carrying hockey sticks, hence his numbers were terrible. But there were some nights where Stajan was the best player on our team. And once he was given skilled wingers, we seen his numbers go up.

IMO, Stajan could put up 50pts again with better linemates and a new coach.
Agreed.

Flame fans look at the way Stajan played here (which admittedly was bad after the Staal hit) and determine, from that, that his value is nothing or maybe even negative.

But you have to look at it from the perspective of other teams. Do the Bruins or Blues want him? No. But say you're a cap floor team or even a team on a budget (i.e. you aren't spending to the cap). Therefore Stajan's cap hit is irrelevant.

The only thing that matters for those teams is his salary - he costs $2.5m. So now, think about what centres you can buy in the free agent market for $2.5m... not very frickin much!

I challenge anyone to find a free agent C that can put up 50 pts as a 2nd or 3rd line C with half decent wingers.

Stajan most definitely has value now that his actual salary is $2.5m. In fact, I would say fairly decent value. And he only has this year and next left on the contract, so there's not much risk.

OrrwastheBeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 01:09 AM
  #54
tfong
Registered User
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrwastheBeatles View Post
Agreed.

Flame fans look at the way Stajan played here (which admittedly was bad after the Staal hit) and determine, from that, that his value is nothing or maybe even negative.

But you have to look at it from the perspective of other teams. Do the Bruins or Blues want him? No. But say you're a cap floor team or even a team on a budget (i.e. you aren't spending to the cap). Therefore Stajan's cap hit is irrelevant.

The only thing that matters for those teams is his salary - he costs $2.5m. So now, think about what centres you can buy in the free agent market for $2.5m... not very frickin much!

I challenge anyone to find a free agent C that can put up 50 pts as a 2nd or 3rd line C with half decent wingers.

Stajan most definitely has value now that his actual salary is $2.5m. In fact, I would say fairly decent value. And he only has this year and next left on the contract, so there's not much risk.
He only put up 55 and 57 points twice and both those times he was playing top minutes with the leafs. I 'm not sure one can make the argument he is a perennial 50 point center. I think he can be a 2nd line center only if he is paired with a very strong winger, but outside of that I think his abilities are that of a 3rd line center offensively. I think his real value would be somewhere in the 1.5-1.75m region if I put him as the 2nd/3rd center.

Think Kyle Wellwood as a comparison.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 02:04 AM
  #55
OrrwastheBeatles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
He only put up 55 and 57 points twice and both those times he was playing top minutes with the leafs. I 'm not sure one can make the argument he is a perennial 50 point center. I think he can be a 2nd line center only if he is paired with a very strong winger, but outside of that I think his abilities are that of a 3rd line center offensively. I think his real value would be somewhere in the 1.5-1.75m region if I put him as the 2nd/3rd center.

Think Kyle Wellwood as a comparison.
He was also on pace for 50 or so again last year before the Staal hit and then put up good numbers at the end of this year when given top 6 minutes.

Jokinen posted 61 pts and a lot of people think he could get $5m on the market (I don't, but maybe something close to that) and yes I know, he adds some defense.

But even a 40 pt, 3rd line C is worth at least, if not more than $2.5m

Wellwood has never posted 50 pts (and took 2 years to get 50 pts with the Nucks) but we will see what his 47 pts this year will get him as a UFA (that will be very interesting to watch).

OrrwastheBeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 02:10 AM
  #56
Thumper17
Registered User
 
Thumper17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 567
vCash: 500
I have a friend that goes door to door for a lawncare place and he was telling me he went to Jokinens house and the place is empty.

Don't know if that means he moved to a new house or he knows he's getting traded and just moved ship to Finland to wait for the official trade.

Thumper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 02:17 AM
  #57
OrrwastheBeatles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper17 View Post
I have a friend that goes door to door for a lawncare place and he was telling me he went to Jokinens house and the place is empty.

Don't know if that means he moved to a new house or he knows he's getting traded and just moved ship to Finland to wait for the official trade.
There is a thread on CP as well where a neighbour had said he has moved out of the house he rented.

Obviously that will get people speculating, but my question is: where is he moving to?

Also, why move before his kids are finished school?

I don't really think you can read much into it - maybe it's as simple as their rental agreement is up and the house is no longer available?

Edit: you are a CP regular are you not? So you've seen that thread. So what's up? You playing games here?

OrrwastheBeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 04:30 AM
  #58
Thumper17
Registered User
 
Thumper17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrwastheBeatles View Post
There is a thread on CP as well where a neighbour had said he has moved out of the house he rented.

Obviously that will get people speculating, but my question is: where is he moving to?

Also, why move before his kids are finished school?

I don't really think you can read much into it - maybe it's as simple as their rental agreement is up and the house is no longer available?

Edit: you are a CP regular are you not? So you've seen that thread. So what's up? You playing games here?

Had not seen the thread, I have been banned from CP because QUOTE "It's just not working out." I had recently come off a suspension for some reason I cant remember and I had kept a very low profile and did not respond to any insults hurled my way. Instead using the report button.

About a week later I got the email with the above message, and after an argument which went like. "So I havent really done anything, you guys just dont like me." "Pretty much." "Well can you at least wait until you find a reason? Even if it is ********?" "Nah, we know your actually actively trying to not piss anyone off now so we likely wont find a reason and pretty much expected you to do something to warrant getting banned to keep suspending you for our personal entertainment. You have simply... ceased being entertaining." "Uhh.. so your all pretty much just an old boys club who look down on absolutley everything and everyone then?" "Yes, now your catching on. Tary not, there are other websites for you."

So I had the choice between the essentially DEAD official forums or this place and chose here. At least here I can see what other teams think of us easier. Even if I miss out on the surprisingly early team information and inside jokes.

Really sucks when the community is strewn through three websites, I almost wish the official forums would be shut down so we'd get a couple more regulars here, and with the way those forums are going, they probably will. I was actually shown CP by a mod of the offical forums.

Thumper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 10:41 AM
  #59
tfong
Registered User
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrwastheBeatles View Post
He was also on pace for 50 or so again last year before the Staal hit and then put up good numbers at the end of this year when given top 6 minutes.

Jokinen posted 61 pts and a lot of people think he could get $5m on the market (I don't, but maybe something close to that) and yes I know, he adds some defense.

But even a 40 pt, 3rd line C is worth at least, if not more than $2.5m

Wellwood has never posted 50 pts (and took 2 years to get 50 pts with the Nucks) but we will see what his 47 pts this year will get him as a UFA (that will be very interesting to watch).
He isn't a 40 point 3c though. You are thinking its mutually inclusive of his ice time versus point total.

He only hits 50 or is on pace for it when he avgs the ice time as a 1/2c. For that he is not good enough. You want your 1/2c to have more than 60 points ideally. When he is mostly in a 3c capacity he puts up like 20 points which is normal but not worth 2.5m

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 12:41 PM
  #60
OrrwastheBeatles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper17 View Post
Had not seen the thread, I have been banned from CP because QUOTE "It's just not working out." .

Really sucks when the community is strewn through three websites, I almost wish the official forums would be shut down so we'd get a couple more regulars here, and with the way those forums are going, they probably will. I was actually shown CP by a mod of the offical forums.
Ok, fair enough.

As for the main boards, yeah they're getting more and more quiet and a lot of us have moved here.

OrrwastheBeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 12:56 PM
  #61
OrrwastheBeatles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
He isn't a 40 point 3c though. You are thinking its mutually inclusive of his ice time versus point total.

He only hits 50 or is on pace for it when he avgs the ice time as a 1/2c. For that he is not good enough. You want your 1/2c to have more than 60 points ideally. When he is mostly in a 3c capacity he puts up like 20 points which is normal but not worth 2.5m
We are obviously never going to agree on Stajan.

As for the bold, 'ideally' yes, but only two teams this year actually had 2 C s with 60 pts (Det and Bos who had 3). Yes it was a slow year, but last year there were 5.

Not saying Stajan is an ideal top 6. But a #2 C that gets you 50-55 pts is average. And an average #2C for $2.5m is far from terrible.

To be clear though, I am not suggesting that the Flames should go that route, I am saying there should be some budget teams who would have some interest.

OrrwastheBeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 01:13 PM
  #62
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
Jokinen had been tried on the wing in the past and struggled, but it was before he became a Flame
But his career was struggling for a couple of years before becoming a flame I think it is what he is best suited for now. He isn't a great shutdown centerman as he isn't great at faceoffs.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 01:13 PM
  #63
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,936
vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
He isn't a 40 point 3c though. You are thinking its mutually inclusive of his ice time versus point total.

He only hits 50 or is on pace for it when he avgs the ice time as a 1/2c. For that he is not good enough. You want your 1/2c to have more than 60 points ideally. When he is mostly in a 3c capacity he puts up like 20 points which is normal but not worth 2.5m
I think I would prefer to look at the numbers...

This year Jokinen had 61pts with 18:57 ice time while Stajan had 18pts with 13:00 mins ice time.

Last year Jokinen had 54pts with 17:46 ice time, while Stajan had 31pts with 14:31 ice time as a 3rd/4th centermen. In 2009/10, Stajan had 57 pts with 18:54 ice time as a first line center while Langkow had 37 pts with 18:54 ice time as a second.

In 2008/09, Stajan had 55 pts with 16:55 ice time as a first line centre, while Grabovski had 48pts with 16:13 ice time as a second.

And in 2007/08, Stajan had 33pts with 18:54 mins of ice time as a 2nd/3rd centre while Sundin & Antropov had 78 pts and 56 points with 20:05 ice time.

Stajan gets 38.8pts with 16.18 mins of ice time on average. Let's compare that to this years' centremen. Only 21 centremen have 60 points or more (making your ideal less than the norm), while the top 21 centremen in ice time see 19:31 mins or more.

Of the centremen who see +/- 30 seconds of ice time at Stajan's average ice time (15:48 to 16:48), there's an average of 27.69points. Hence Stajan is right in the average. As a single point comparison, Dubinsky was rocking 34 pts with 16:16mins of ice time.

That's a 2nd/3rd line centremen points with 2nd/3rd line minutes.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 06:14 PM
  #64
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchief12 View Post
..or Steve Staios? Oh, just a second...nvrmind
Straios was overpaid, but when used properly he was actually pretty good for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsy View Post
Anyone who thinks Matt Stajan has any value to the 29 other GMs are dreaming. The guys contract. He has a 3.5 mill cap hit for two more seasons. Even at 2.5 million paying him the guy is overpriced.
I was going to reply to this but then I was beaten to it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsy View Post
Seriously? Off the cuff I got Dustin Brown, Jared Stoll, Clarke MacArthur, Jaromier Jagr, David Clarkson, Rene Bourque
And then there was this gem that I was also going to reply too, but again I was beaten to it......

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrwastheBeatles View Post
You can't just look at contracts that already exist (when were they signed? were they RFAs at the time?) That is ridiculous.

The question is - and what Xelstyle was getting at - is: what can $3.5m get you ON THE CURRENT UFA MARKET? Because that is the only place you can go and spend the money.

If Dustin Brown were a UFA this summer, he would get more than $5m (maybe $6m). THAT'S what you have to compare.
well this was the post that beat me too it, while sometimes I question your sanity this post was spot on and ideal, but it also exemplifies why under a new coach we should hold onto Stajan as he might actually be used properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I think I would prefer to look at the numbers...

This year Jokinen had 61pts with 18:57 ice time while Stajan had 18pts with 13:00 mins ice time.

Last year Jokinen had 54pts with 17:46 ice time, while Stajan had 31pts with 14:31 ice time as a 3rd/4th centermen. In 2009/10, Stajan had 57 pts with 18:54 ice time as a first line center while Langkow had 37 pts with 18:54 ice time as a second.

In 2008/09, Stajan had 55 pts with 16:55 ice time as a first line centre, while Grabovski had 48pts with 16:13 ice time as a second.

And in 2007/08, Stajan had 33pts with 18:54 mins of ice time as a 2nd/3rd centre while Sundin & Antropov had 78 pts and 56 points with 20:05 ice time.

Stajan gets 38.8pts with 16.18 mins of ice time on average. Let's compare that to this years' centremen. Only 21 centremen have 60 points or more (making your ideal less than the norm), while the top 21 centremen in ice time see 19:31 mins or more.

Of the centremen who see +/- 30 seconds of ice time at Stajan's average ice time (15:48 to 16:48), there's an average of 27.69points. Hence Stajan is right in the average. As a single point comparison, Dubinsky was rocking 34 pts with 16:16mins of ice time.

That's a 2nd/3rd line centremen points with 2nd/3rd line minutes.
long post but I see where you are coming from, I don't remember if it was on here or on cf.com but I made a post showing Stajan's numbers as a Flame when consistently used on the top line and it was a 50-55 point pace overall I believe. Which we wouldn't get from any of the UFA centermen on the market.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 07:15 PM
  #65
tfong
Registered User
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,115
vCash: 500
I'm not disputing Stajan as a 2nd center, just his value as a 3rd center which I don't think he is exactly apt for plus the contract amount for that number.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 07:26 PM
  #66
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**
 
StreakingRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 10,839
vCash: 500
Time to part ways with Jokinen. In fact, I'd like to see all our UFA's walk. I want to see plenty of new and younger faces on this team. We hear a lot of Flames fans call for changes, yet we keep seeing these threads about re-signing players. These guys can't get it done. Time to clean house.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 07:38 PM
  #67
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,936
vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Time to part ways with Jokinen. In fact, I'd like to see all our UFA's walk. I want to see plenty of new and younger faces on this team. We hear a lot of Flames fans call for changes, yet we keep seeing these threads about re-signing players. These guys can't get it done. Time to clean house.
Yeah, but what's out there that can put up points? The UFAs are guys that teams didn't want to sign for a reason, the exception being guys like Parise, Suter, Semin, and the odd good depth guy.

If we signed Jokinen, we know we're getting a two-way centremen who's good for 60pts and has chemistry. Plus we likely won't be overpaying like we would be for other UFAs. I want younger faces too, but do we really want another season of shuffling centremen between Iggy and Tangs?

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 08:09 PM
  #68
xIggy93x
Registered User
 
xIggy93x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
Would I like having Jokinen for 3mil? Yes.

Do I want him for 4-5mil? No.

Jokinen showed that he can put up the points this season, but it was a contract year, and he was looking to prove a point in order to fetch the $$$ once UFA hits on July 1st. I think Jokinen knows that Calgary isn't going to offer him that kind of money, so he's looking to earn as much as he can from teams who are willing to spend.

If we look at the team, I think we have some good depth at C going into next season. It looks like Cervenka will be playing top line, and with Stajan's solid play later in the season this year, I wouldn't mind seeing him centering the 2nd line. Then we can go with Backlund down 3rd and Jones down 4th. There's been talk about Backlund and our high expectations for him the past 2-3 seasons, so is this the season he finally breaks out? Let's hope so.

Then again, we don't know what the team is really going to do this season, and we could acquire some key pieces. That's the upside. The downside is they stay the course once again, and we're stuck with what we have... and in that case, we just have to make the best of it, and hope that good things will happen.

xIggy93x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 12:05 AM
  #69
Kitsy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrwastheBeatles View Post
You can't just look at contracts that already exist (when were they signed? were they RFAs at the time?) That is ridiculous.

The question is - and what Xelstyle was getting at - is: what can $3.5m get you ON THE CURRENT UFA MARKET? Because that is the only place you can go and spend the money.

If Dustin Brown were a UFA this summer, he would get more than $5m (maybe $6m). THAT'S what you have to compare.
He said as a cap hit in the current NHL - that's why I noted guys currently making the same amount. In that case, how about
Ian White - 2.875 (Top 4 d-man prior to his very good Detroit season)
Michael Ryder - 3.5 (Up and down years but showed his scoring prowess and clutch performance in the playoffs - then went on to get 35 goals)
Max Talbot (1.75 cap hit - strong defensive play)
Jagr (which I mentioned before who was a UFA)

How about 2010:
Olli Jokinen - 3 million - maybe you heard of him

I'm a fan of the Flames and hope they do very well. However, if you think that Stajan has value with a 3.5 cap hit then you are dreaming. Brown is the one guy that I mentioned who is due for a big raise - Stoll may fall into the 3.5 - 4.5 range but after that Jagr, MacArthur and Bourque were all re-signed relatively recently. You can cherry pick the one guy and that's fine, but your point is moot because I showed other examples (Jagr, MacArthur) that were much better deals - Now there are a couple more to chew on for anyone who wants to regard Stajan as fair value on the open market. Stajan has had 18 pts and 31 pts in the past two seasons. His last two decent months playing isn't going to convince someone he can play top six minutes.


Last edited by Kitsy: 05-13-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Kitsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 12:47 AM
  #70
OrrwastheBeatles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsy View Post
He said as a cap hit in the current NHL - that's why I noted guys currently making the same amount. In that case, how about
Ian White - 2.875 (Top 4 d-man prior to his very good Detroit season)
Michael Ryder - 3.5 (Up and down years but showed his scoring prowess and clutch performance in the playoffs - then went on to get 35 goals)
Max Talbot (1.75 cap hit - strong defensive play)
Jagr (which I mentioned before who was a UFA)

How about 2010:
Olli Jokinen - 3 million - maybe you heard of him

I'm a fan of the Flames and hope they do very well. However, if you think that Stajan has value with a 3.5 cap hit then you are dreaming. Brown is the one guy that I mentioned who is due for a big raise - Stoll may fall into the 3.5 - 4.5 range but after that Jagr, MacArthur and Bourque were all re-signed relatively recently. You can cherry pick the one guy and that's fine, but your point is moot because I showed other examples (Jagr, MacArthur) that were much better deals - Now there are a couple more to chew on for anyone who wants to regard Stajan as fair value on the open market. Stajan has had 18 pts and 31 pts in the past two seasons. His last two decent months playing isn't going to convince someone he can play top six minutes.
And what I said was that, to a budget team, he is good value at $2.5m

Also, I said try and get a 50 pt C for that as a UFA.

Jagr had been out of the league 3 years - he was a big rsik that worked out well for Philly. McArther had one season over 35 pts when he signed for $3.25m. Bourque's contract was written 2 years ago (and ask Hab fans how they're feeling about it right now). Jokinen's contract was singed 2 years ago after a 50 pt season (his worst in almost a decade)

No question that Stajan played poorly for large parts of the last two seasons. But for $2.5m in the UFA market this summer (not 2 years ago), you are not going to find a center that can produce like Stajan. You're not.

OrrwastheBeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 01:12 AM
  #71
Kitsy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrwastheBeatles View Post
And what I said was that, to a budget team, he is good value at $2.5m

Also, I said try and get a 50 pt C for that as a UFA.

Jagr had been out of the league 3 years - he was a big rsik that worked out well for Philly. McArther had one season over 35 pts when he signed for $3.25m. Bourque's contract was written 2 years ago (and ask Hab fans how they're feeling about it right now). Jokinen's contract was singed 2 years ago after a 50 pt season (his worst in almost a decade)

No question that Stajan played poorly for large parts of the last two seasons. But for $2.5m in the UFA market this summer (not 2 years ago), you are not going to find a center that can produce like Stajan. You're not.
2.5 million is not the number that matters to some teams. It is the 3.5 million cap hit that alot of teams cannot deal with when they are floating at the top of the cap. Teams like Phoenix and the Islanders may be willing to take Stajan on as a throw in but my bigger point is Stajan has no value on the open market. Stajan will go embarrassing amounts of time without getting a goal or contributing in a meaningful way. There is a reason his ice time is as low as it is.

Kitsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 01:28 AM
  #72
OrrwastheBeatles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsy View Post
2.5 million is not the number that matters to some teams. It is the 3.5 million cap hit that alot of teams cannot deal with when they are floating at the top of the cap. Teams like Phoenix and the Islanders may be willing to take Stajan on as a throw in but my bigger point is Stajan has no value on the open market. Stajan will go embarrassing amounts of time without getting a goal or contributing in a meaningful way. There is a reason his ice time is as low as it is.
And others would counter that Sutter mis-used him. He has proven that he can play in the NHL. But for whatever reason, he hasn't had a good experience in Calgary - that happens. But it doesn't mean that there isn't a better fit for him out there.

As for $3.5m, I agree that he is less attractive at that price. That's why I have continually said that he is more attractive to budget teams.

Let's hope that Feaster can find a home for him.

OrrwastheBeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 12:15 PM
  #73
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,868
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsy View Post
2.5 million is not the number that matters to some teams. It is the 3.5 million cap hit that alot of teams cannot deal with when they are floating at the top of the cap. Teams like Phoenix and the Islanders may be willing to take Stajan on as a throw in but my bigger point is Stajan has no value on the open market. Stajan will go embarrassing amounts of time without getting a goal or contributing in a meaningful way. There is a reason his ice time is as low as it is.
I agree with this, I just don't think he is immovable. Like you said a team like the Islanders or Yotes might bite.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 12:21 PM
  #74
DoubleJ96
Registered User
 
DoubleJ96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrwastheBeatles View Post
And others would counter that Sutter mis-used him. He has proven that he can play in the NHL. But for whatever reason, he hasn't had a good experience in Calgary - that happens. But it doesn't mean that there isn't a better fit for him out there.

As for $3.5m, I agree that he is less attractive at that price. That's why I have continually said that he is more attractive to budget teams.

Let's hope that Feaster can find a home for him.
If a team is trying to reach the cap floor this summer, Stajan is exactly the type of player they would be interested in. ONly paying him 2.5 million when his cap hit is a million more is attractive to a team that need the extra cap hit.

DoubleJ96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 12:44 PM
  #75
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,868
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iginlafan View Post
If a team is trying to reach the cap floor this summer, Stajan is exactly the type of player they would be interested in. ONly paying him 2.5 million when his cap hit is a million more is attractive to a team that need the extra cap hit.
As long as they think he is actually worth the 2.5 Million he is still being paid.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.