Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Resign jokinen!!!

Old
05-13-2012, 01:25 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 500
I guess the only problem is that any team that has interest in Stajan will likely chase Jokinen, Stoll, Langkow, Hudler, or Kelly in the UFA market first. There would be interest only after the better UFAs have been taken.

I can see a team like the Jets interested in Stajan. They're 12 million under the ceiling, they have Slater and Wellwood coming off the books. But like I said, they'll prefer to go after a UFA instead of trading for Stajan.

Plus there's the uncertainty as to what the cap situation will look like next season. There's grumblings that the cap ceiling and floor will decrease, therefore GMs won't spend to the cap, and some won't be concerned about reaching the floor. For these reasons, Stajan will likely remain a Flame

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 05:57 PM
Medium Rare*

Stajan, like Bouwmeester deserves an opportunity with this club under a new coach in a new system.

Both are players who had solid offensive numbers prior to being acquired, then were used in a manner they had never been used before and have been **** on by fans for not attaining numbers from the more offensive roles they reached previously.

Stajan has shown that when he is given top 6 minutes on a consistent basis he can produce. He has shown (albeit very briefly) that when he is given PP time he can produce. He has shown that as his ice-time increases so does his FO%, he has shown that he can kill penalties when given the chance and he has shown that he is defensively reliable in any role he is asked to play.

Why exactly would we trade him away when he is our only center under contract that has even reached 30 points at the NHL level??

It doesn't make sense, because the odds of Stajan regaining his 50 point form are better than Cervenka putting up 50 points (I don't dislike the Cervenka signing but he is still a 1st year player without NHL experience and it is unlikely he will be an impact player. I would say he has a better chance than Backlund who would need to double his career high, which is a very difficult thing to do.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Time to part ways with Jokinen. In fact, I'd like to see all our UFA's walk. I want to see plenty of new and younger faces on this team. We hear a lot of Flames fans call for changes, yet we keep seeing these threads about re-signing players. These guys can't get it done. Time to clean house.
UFA's are the following:
Jokinen
Stempniak
Moss
Kosto
Sarich
Hannan

I pretty much agree with you on all accounts, but I'm on the fence about Jokinen. Basically, I'd only take him back for the right deal. But judging by his comments when he was cleaning out his locker, I don't think its going to happen and signing Cervenka is also going to have an effect on that as well. If we did resign Jokinen, I want Stajan traded immediately. As far as Stemps, Moss (I think he WILL be resigned), Kosto, Sarich, and Hannan, I want them all gone as well. I'd rather give their spots to their younger kids. I would actually consider bringing back Hannan or Sarich, only if we move the Anton. Maybe we can trade him back to Carolina for Staal?

I have a feeling the Flames really like Moss and I guess I don't mind him either, but he is injury prone and I'd rather go with a younger lineup.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:22 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
UFA's are the following:
Jokinen
Stempniak
Moss
Kosto
Sarich
Hannan

I pretty much agree with you on all accounts, but I'm on the fence about Jokinen. Basically, I'd only take him back for the right deal. But judging by his comments when he was cleaning out his locker, I don't think its going to happen and signing Cervenka is also going to have an effect on that as well. If we did resign Jokinen, I want Stajan traded immediately. As far as Stemps, Moss (I think he WILL be resigned), Kosto, Sarich, and Hannan, I want them all gone as well. I'd rather give their spots to their younger kids. I would actually consider bringing back Hannan or Sarich, only if we move the Anton. Maybe we can trade him back to Carolina for Staal?

I have a feeling the Flames really like Moss and I guess I don't mind him either, but he is injury prone and I'd rather go with a younger lineup.
I too would prefer using our younger players in the bottom six, but I agree Moss or Stempniak will likely be brought back for the right price. It's because we have no natural right wingers except Nemisz coming through the pipes.

Old
05-14-2012, 02:04 PM
StreakingRed
#unsustainable

Quote:
I pretty much agree with you on all accounts, but I'm on the fence about Jokinen. Basically, I'd only take him back for the right deal.

He'll want a long-term deal and likely more than $3M a year. I say pass.

Quote:
If we did resign Jokinen, I want Stajan traded immediately.

I want Stajan traded immediately whether we re-sign Jokinen or not.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:01 PM
SaneQ

Jokinen won't be resigned. I heard it from a trustworthy source. Can't tell from who i got the info, because he wasn't even allowed to speak to anyone about it

SaneQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
I want Stajan traded immediately whether we re-sign Jokinen or not.
I do to, even if we don't sign anyone else we still have Cammy, Cervenka, Backlund, Horak and Reinhart. Horak and especially Reinhart are still a little green, but I would rather go younger and use his cap space in other areas that need to be filled. I don't mind Stajan, but I think we should still move him and do so after he ended the season on a high note.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaneQ View Post
Jokinen won't be resigned. I heard it from a trustworthy source. Can't tell from who i got the info, because he wasn't even allowed to speak to anyone about it
Really? I can't say either, but I heard from a source of mine that Baertschi will be traded for the rights to Selanne. We are gonna go hard after him whether he wants to retire or not.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:32 PM
SaneQ

Quote:
Really? I can't say either, but I heard from a source of mine that Baertschi will be traded for the rights to Selanne. We are gonna go hard after him whether he wants to retire or not.
Well let's wait and see what happens... and i would totally trade Baertschi for Selänne.

Last edited by SaneQ: 05-16-2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: sarcasm
Old
05-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Metalcommand

A Finn just asking out of interest, what are the reasons not to sign Jokinen? Decent two-way play, 61 points, isn't this the text-book definiton of the perfect number two center?

Yes, you signed Cervenka. Dude scored 39 points in 54 games in the KHL. Is the reason why not to sign Jokinen wanting to go toward a tanking route or just some blind Olli-antipathy. For a team wanting to make the playoffs I see no reason not to sign him.

Not trying or even wanting to diss anybody, just interested from Finnish point of view.

Metalcommand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:35 PM
SaneQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalcommand View Post
A Finn just asking out of interest, what are the reasons not to sign Jokinen? Decent two-way play, 61 points, isn't this the text-book definiton of the perfect number two center?

Yes, you signed Cervenka. Dude scored 39 points in 54 games in the KHL. Is the reason why not to sign Jokinen wanting to go toward a tanking route or just some blind Olli-antipathy. For a team wanting to make the playoffs I see no reason not to sign him.

Not trying or even wanting to diss anybody, just interested from Finnish point of view.
I don't know the reason, but i only heard that he isn't gonna continue in CGY.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:50 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalcommand View Post

I think the problem is the term and money he is looking for.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 01:10 PM
DBU
Never Quit

vCash: 232
Quote:
Well let's wait and see what happens... and i would totally trade Baertschi for Selänne.
Not to be rude, but it's comments like this that make the rest of us doubt you have any legitimate sources...

FWIW though, I don't want Olli to be resigned. So I hope your "source" is right.

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 01:38 PM
SaneQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Sauce View Post
Not to be rude, but it's comments like this that make the rest of us doubt you have any legitimate sources...

FWIW though, I don't want Olli to be resigned. So I hope your "source" is right.
Yeah i know that it sounds weird, but my source is really close to Olli as far as i know, but can't tell you who it is because i don't want to destroy any friendships of mine.

Old
05-16-2012, 07:27 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Well I heard from a very trusted source that Jokinen is looking to resign, but is waiting on Feaster's season evaluation and recommendations to ownership.

Now to set the record straight, my very trusted source is my buddy Rob. We were having some beers, chatting hockey, and he told me that "no UFA will get resigned until Feaster hires a coach and decides the direction of the organization". Now he doesn't know anybody remotely close to the Flames, but I trust his judgement on this for sure, hence he's a trusted very source to me.

The point is, take everything with a grain a salt. Especially when someone is not willing to give up their source, when they themselves are anonymous, and when (s)he is trying to inform a group of anonymous strangers on a forum. Maybe it's true. Maybe your source told you exactly what you said, and maybe your source is more legit than Joe hockey fan. Hell, I once was drinking with Jerome Iginla's brother in Edmonton. The guy was a spoiled drunk living out of his parent's house (apparently) who told stories until the cows came home, looking for attention himself. I once had beers with a dude from Viking, claiming to be the god-son of Brent Sutter. He said he couldn't reveal anything, but he knew everything. Maybe it was true? I know Ecklund claims to be an insider everyday with "reliable sources" too....

Last edited by MarkGio: 05-16-2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Setting the record straight
Old
05-18-2012, 07:24 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Well I heard from a very trusted source that Jokinen is looking to resign, but is waiting on Feaster's season evaluation and recommendations to ownership.

Now to set the record straight, my very trusted source is my buddy Rob. We were having some beers, chatting hockey, and he told me that "no UFA will get resigned until Feaster hires a coach and decides the direction of the organization". Now he doesn't know anybody remotely close to the Flames, but I trust his judgement on this for sure, hence he's a trusted very source to me.

The point is, take everything with a grain a salt. Especially when someone is not willing to give up their source, when they themselves are anonymous, and when (s)he is trying to inform a group of anonymous strangers on a forum. Maybe it's true. Maybe your source told you exactly what you said, and maybe your source is more legit than Joe hockey fan. Hell, I once was drinking with Jerome Iginla's brother in Edmonton. The guy was a spoiled drunk living out of his parent's house (apparently) who told stories until the cows came home, looking for attention himself. I once had beers with a dude from Viking, claiming to be the god-son of Brent Sutter. He said he couldn't reveal anything, but he knew everything. Maybe it was true? I know Ecklund claims to be an insider everyday with "reliable sources" too....
What a troll. Can't you tell he's an honest guy? People these days are just too paranoid of others....

But the biggest problem with bringing back Jokinen I think will be term and NMC/NTC.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 01:00 AM
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs

vCash: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
But the biggest problem with bringing back Jokinen I think will be term and NMC/NTC.
Seems pretty standard now-a-days for any higher tier player in the NHL. It's a great selling point for most players.

As for Olli. I don't know. I really don't know. He's a good player, with 55+ potential, probably 65+ in the right setting; but if we bring him back, we will literally have the same team we had last year, with the addition of full-time Sven and a Czech guy that I'm sure 9/10 of you guys (if that) had never heard of until it broke he was signed (I actually knew of him from playing with Jagr, never before).

I am actually unsure of what to do in Calgary in regards to RFA's/UFA's.
I want Jones, Backlund to be back; and I want the rest to walk, with the exception of Olli, because in all honesty, I really do like him... but not sure where he fits in Calgary in general.
I mean, if you signed him and let him play wing/split center with Cervenka and Glencross... you'd have 3 left shooters.

Do you move Cervenka to the third line? or the first line and bring Tangs down to the second?

I'm seriously very interested come July 1st.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:03 AM
Ladde

How can you give up this?

Ladde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
Seems pretty standard now-a-days for any higher tier player in the NHL. It's a great selling point for most players.

As for Olli. I don't know. I really don't know. He's a good player, with 55+ potential, probably 65+ in the right setting; but if we bring him back, we will literally have the same team we had last year, with the addition of full-time Sven and a Czech guy that I'm sure 9/10 of you guys (if that) had never heard of until it broke he was signed (I actually knew of him from playing with Jagr, never before).

I want Jones, Backlund to be back; and I want the rest to walk, with the exception of Olli, because in all honesty, I really do like him... but not sure where he fits in Calgary in general.
I mean, if you signed him and let him play wing/split center with Cervenka and Glencross... you'd have 3 left shooters.

Do you move Cervenka to the third line? or the first line and bring Tangs down to the second?

In which case even though Olli has been good for us, you go after another guy like Stoll instead. Brings a similar skill set but a RH shot with renown faceoff ability.

Old
05-21-2012, 01:46 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post

With a new coach this team could look completely different. Olli put up pretty good numbers while he was here especially considering Sutter sucked the offense out of most players. In Jokinen's time in Calgary he put up an average of 20.5 goals and 36.8 assists per 82 games during his time here. His goal and point totals have actually increased each of the past 2 years as he has gotten more comfortable playing a different style of game.

Now that Olli has a defensive element to his game, if he has a coach that lets him (or his linemates) take more offensive chances his numbers could go up to the 70 point range IMO. I don't care how old he is if he produces, since he is showing no signs of declining I don't see a reason not to give him a contract.

Quote:
In which case even though Olli has been good for us, you go after another guy like Stoll instead. Brings a similar skill set but a RH shot with renown faceoff ability.
Stoll's career high is 68 points but it is pretty clear that was a blip on the radar since his next highest total is 47 points. Olli's WORST season in the past decade is 50 points. Stoll's actually a better comparison to Stajan and Lombardi than Jokinen. Stoll would be great to add as a middle 6 guy, but not to replace Olli.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
With a new coach this team could look completely different. Olli put up pretty good numbers while he was here especially considering Sutter sucked the offense out of most players. In Jokinen's time in Calgary he put up an average of 20.5 goals and 36.8 assists per 82 games during his time here. His goal and point totals have actually increased each of the past 2 years as he has gotten more comfortable playing a different style of game.

Now that Olli has a defensive element to his game, if he has a coach that lets him (or his linemates) take more offensive chances his numbers could go up to the 70 point range IMO. I don't care how old he is if he produces, since he is showing no signs of declining I don't see a reason not to give him a contract.

Stoll's career high is 68 points but it is pretty clear that was a blip on the radar since his next highest total is 47 points. Olli's WORST season in the past decade is 50 points. Stoll's actually a better comparison to Stajan and Lombardi than Jokinen. Stoll would be great to add as a middle 6 guy, but not to replace Olli.
With that being said, my ideal would be to move Stajan for Olli to come back and Stoll to replace Stajan as a 3rd liner.

Old
05-22-2012, 02:39 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
With that being said, my ideal would be to move Stajan for Olli to come back and Stoll to replace Stajan as a 3rd liner.
Then what happens with Backlund? I say let him walk, this team needs more structure and less of "let's sign a bunch of pieces and see what happens".

Not saying I'm right, but IMO Backlund should be our 3rd line centre and get a chance to play with Bartschi, who should also start the season on the 3rd line. Then go from there.

So, Hypothetically speaking, we trade Stajan for a low pick. He's gone and we sign Stoll:

Tanguay-Cammy-Iginla
Cervenka-Stoll-Glencross
Bartschi-Backlund-(blank)
Bouma-Jones-Jackman

I just don't see a spot for Jokinen if we sign a UFA centre.

Old
05-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

I really hope Horak puts on some strength this offseason. If he does, he's going to surprise alot of people in camp I think. He actually has a really nice offensive skill set.

Old
05-22-2012, 04:43 PM
Stewie Griffin
Stewie Hockey™

vCash: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Then what happens with Backlund? I say let him walk, this team needs more structure and less of "let's sign a bunch of pieces and see what happens".

Not saying I'm right, but IMO Backlund should be our 3rd line centre and get a chance to play with Bartschi, who should also start the season on the 3rd line. Then go from there.

So, Hypothetically speaking, we trade Stajan for a low pick. He's gone and we sign Stoll:

Tanguay-Cammy-Iginla
Cervenka-Stoll-Glencross
Bartschi-Backlund-(blank)
Bouma-Jones-Jackman

I just don't see a spot for Jokinen if we sign a UFA centre.
Move Cervenka to 3rd line RW (where I think he will be), move Squid to his vacant spot and Jokinen slides into the top centre spot like cheese on a Big Mac.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 04:54 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Move Cervenka to 3rd line RW (where I think he will be), move Squid to his vacant spot and Jokinen slides into the top centre spot like cheese on a Big Mac.
hahahaha!!

I thought I read somewhere that Cervenka played most of his time on LW. Hopefully he can play RW, that would be great. I just see us with way too many Left handed players in our forward lineup