HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flames Rebuild

Old
05-09-2012, 06:06 PM
JGardiner51

vCash: 500
The leafs wouldn't offer much, there are alot of goalie options this summer and it makes no sense to overpay for a declining 35 year old goalie past his prime.

JGardiner51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:10 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

See living in alberta I get to see a lot of flames games and Kipper is not declining at all he's still a superstar goalie his team is declining he is not.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
The map leafs NEED a goalie if they want to have ANY success The Calgary Flames are finally in a spot where I think they realize they need to rebuild, atleast I hope thats the case cause I live in alberta and I want to see the BOA between the oilers and flames be evenly matched in the future.

Anyway if the Flames have finally come to the conclusion that a rebuild is needed what will it take to bring Kipper to Toronto?

I don't think the Leafs are quite as bad as people say they are I feel like we have some solid parts in place but with no goalie this team can't move forward

The Leafs need somebody who can win them 30-35 games and Kipper can do that.

I know he's 35 but I feel a goalie at 35 is different then a forward or D at 35 I feel goalies can play at a high level for longer.

with that in mind what will it take to bring Kipper, a legit #1 goalie to Toronto?
I think Kipper is available and not for the sake of rebuilding. I think he is available as it is sounding like Ramo could very well come back to North America this summer and Kiprusoff could be used to acquire assets to make us a better team both now and in the future.

Kipper to the Leafs makes sense to me on a few levels, Kipper is the kind of goaltender that could handle the pressure in Toronto IMO, and the Leafs have an excess of RH defensemen which the Flames could desperately use. The Leafs also have a have a couple centermen that are very good at faceoffs.

I know the Leafs 1st rounder is not on a table so I won't go there, but since that pick is not on the table I would ask for Luke Schenn, Tyler Bozak and the Leafs 2nd rounder as a base for a deal.

If the Leafs are looking to shed some cap space as well I would consider expanding the deal to include Babchuk & Komisarek if the Leafs are willing to sweeten the pot a little for us eating Komi's contract (maybe a 2013 2nd rounder as compensation for Komi's contract being a year longer than Babchuk's).

So I guess my suggestions are either:

to
- M. Kiprusoff (5,833,333)
to
- L. Schenn (3,600,000)
- T. Bozak (1,500,000)
- 2nd in 2012

or

to
- A. Babchuk (2,500,000)
to
- L. Schenn (3,600,000)
- T. Bozak (1,500,000)
- M. Komisarek (4,500,000)
- 2nd in 2012
- 2nd in 2013

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGardiner51 View Post
The leafs wouldn't offer much, there are alot of goalie options this summer and it makes no sense to overpay for a declining 35 year old goalie past his prime.
Declining? Based upon what? Certainly not his performance from last season.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Declining? Based upon what? Certainly not his performance from last season.
oh I know!!! Pick me!!!

It's based on the fact that people on HF boards have bought into the group think that tells us that once a player is 30 they are declining and no longer worth anything.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Remember2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
oh I know!!! Pick me!!!

It's based on the fact that people on HF boards have bought into the group think that tells us that once a player is 30 they are declining and no longer worth anything.
That sounds about right... Everyone seems to think once a player gets old like Iginla for example they don't have as much value compared to someone that hasn't even played a single game in the NHL but of course age is everything right? Just ignore Selanne etc

Remember2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:24 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
The map leafs NEED a goalie if they want to have ANY success The Calgary Flames are finally in a spot where I think they realize they need to rebuild, atleast I hope thats the case cause I live in alberta and I want to see the BOA between the oilers and flames be evenly matched in the future.

Anyway if the Flames have finally come to the conclusion that a rebuild is needed what will it take to bring Kipper to Toronto?

I don't think the Leafs are quite as bad as people say they are I feel like we have some solid parts in place but with no goalie this team can't move forward

I know he's 35 but I feel a goalie at 35 is different then a forward or D at 35 I feel goalies can play at a high level for longer.

with that in mind what will it take to bring Kipper, a legit #1 goalie to Toronto?
The problem is that the Leafs are rebuilding as well, of course for them it's a yearly event.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:30 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
The problem is that the Leafs are rebuilding as well, of course for them it's a yearly event.
Nope they are not in a rebuild they are gunning for the playoffs

Old
05-09-2012, 06:48 PM
PaulSedin
#lydia2012

Feaster won't rebuild even if the owners ask him to

PaulSedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:54 PM
TorontoTrades

I thought about it and he does have a few good years left... he carries that flames team and is underrated IMO .. but for what they would want Toronto is unlikely interested.. Luongo is likely the only target via trade.. other then that likely sign Vokoun or Harding

TorontoTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 07:46 PM
Svensational
THANK YOU IGGY

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoTrades View Post
I thought about it and he does have a few good years left... he carries that flames team and is underrated IMO .. but for what they would want Toronto is unlikely interested.. Luongo is likely the only target via trade.. other then that likely sign Vokoun or Harding
And you would take Luongo's contract and questionable play during playoffs?

Svensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 07:47 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoTrades View Post
if Kipper could be had you can bet your bottom dollar Burke would be very interested

Old
05-09-2012, 07:49 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
I think Kipper is available and not for the sake of rebuilding. I think he is available as it is sounding like Ramo could very well come back to North America this summer and Kiprusoff could be used to acquire assets to make us a better team both now and in the future.

Kipper to the Leafs makes sense to me on a few levels, Kipper is the kind of goaltender that could handle the pressure in Toronto IMO, and the Leafs have an excess of RH defensemen which the Flames could desperately use. The Leafs also have a have a couple centermen that are very good at faceoffs.

I know the Leafs 1st rounder is not on a table so I won't go there, but since that pick is not on the table I would ask for Luke Schenn, Tyler Bozak and the Leafs 2nd rounder as a base for a deal.

If the Leafs are looking to shed some cap space as well I would consider expanding the deal to include Babchuk & Komisarek if the Leafs are willing to sweeten the pot a little for us eating Komi's contract (maybe a 2013 2nd rounder as compensation for Komi's contract being a year longer than Babchuk's).

to
to
- L. Schenn (3,600,000)
- T. Bozak (1,500,000)
- 2nd in 2012

or

to
- A. Babchuk (2,500,000)
to
- L. Schenn (3,600,000)
- T. Bozak (1,500,000)
- 2nd in 2012
- 2nd in 2013
I don't think Schenn would go just because if he gets moved I think he gets moved for a forward but I think the assets for a deal are there

Old
05-09-2012, 07:50 PM
TheJudge

Quote:
if Kipper could be had you can bet your bottom dollar Burke would be very interested
Thank you for being sensible.

HF's attitude towards players over 30 is borderline ridiculous.

TheJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 07:51 PM
TorontoTrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensational View Post
And you would take Luongo's contract and questionable play during playoffs?
both reasons why Luongo will be cheaper to acquire than Kipper.

also Lu has more years left in him then Kipper and Toronto needs that.. they aren't contending next year.

his questionable play during playoffs doesn't really scare me... sure he blew up in the cup finals but he got them there so he can get it done in the playoffs... this season wasn't about his play.. he was the best Canuck in game 1 and 2 (1 for sure) but they needed a shake up.. regardless the team didnt play well enough to move on no matter who was in net.

so yes given that he's younger and will be easier to acquire than Kipper I would prefer Luongo be the target.

EDIT: I think people are thinking i'm implying Kipper isn't good enough... of course he is and if the price is right I'd love to bring him in... but I also don't want to lose a ton of assets... Luongo would be because the value is right not because he is better than Kipper... if Calgary decided to move him he would easily be the best goalie on the market

Old
05-09-2012, 07:51 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSedin View Post
Feaster won't rebuild even if the owners ask him to
If the owners asked him to he would because they are the boss he works for them

Old
05-09-2012, 07:54 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJudge View Post
Thank you for being sensible.

HF's attitude towards players over 30 is borderline ridiculous.
no problem and don't I know it I have been here long enough to have figured that out lol. Never made sense to me though

Old
05-09-2012, 08:02 PM
TOGuy14

2012 2nd + Lombardi

That's my best offer.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:05 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
2012 2nd + Lombardi

That's my best offer.
that a joke? I mean yes if Burkie could pull that off then he deserves to have a statue built in his honour but thats a terrible deal for the flames

Old
05-09-2012, 08:11 PM
TorontoTrades

Quote:
that a joke? I mean yes if Burkie could pull that off then he deserves to have a statue built in his honour but thats a terrible deal for the flames
terrible deal for the flames you say...

come on Burke.. one more time

Old
05-09-2012, 09:22 PM
LukeD
On Fire

Kipper for 2 years would be perfect for the Leafs to groom a Reimer/Scrivens for the top job.

LukeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Minimalist*

I highly doubt Calgary goes into full rebuild mode and trades away it's remaining valuable, all be it aging, assets.

They are more likely to clear cap in expiring contracts, take a run at a couple free agents, and plug any holes with young players and stay the course. Hoping for a playoff spot.

And as a Canucks fan, this pleases me.

That said, Schenn + 1st in 2013 might be too enticing for Calgary to ignore. Doubt Toronto offers it, but crazier things have happened.

Minimalist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:30 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
I don't think Schenn would go just because if he gets moved I think he gets moved for a forward but I think the assets for a deal are there
What's the difference. If Schenn can be moved for an asset the leafs desperately need why wouldn't they? It's not like Burke would say sorry this would make us instantly better but we want to trade Schenn for a forward.

dredeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:43 PM
EucaLEAFtys

Quote:

to
to
- L. Schenn (3,600,000)
- T. Bozak (1,500,000)
- 2nd in 2012

or

to
- A. Babchuk (2,500,000)
to
- L. Schenn (3,600,000)
- T. Bozak (1,500,000)
- 2nd in 2012
- 2nd in 2013
Sorry, but "No" to both of these proposals.

The Leafs don't need a trade vasluable assets in order to get a short-term goalie when they can easily just get one via the FA market (and probably at a cheaper price, too).

The Leafs don't have a lot of cap space to work with this summer, and if they can't free up any significant cap space, then their "acquisition options" are going to be extremely limited.

Obviously, if the Leafs ever plan on improving sometime in the future, they're going to need a quality goaltender. However, in order to get one (like a Kiprusoff or a Luongo, for example), they would have to part with assets they can't afford to lose right now.

Therefore, it would be better for the Leafs, in the long-term, to be patient with Reimer and just acquire a cheaper, short-term solution to their goaltending issues.

The Leafs aren't going to be contenders for anything but top-5 lottery picks for the next few seasons, which they need to have in order to build a high-quality core (which can then be added to later on). By that point, a guy like Kiprusoff would likely be ready for retirement.

Not to mention, if Kiprusoff were to be moved, I'd like to think that he'd want to go to a team that actually has a very good chance of winning the Cup within the next few years. He likely won't get that kind of opportunity if he were to end up in Toronto.

EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:45 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Quote:

2013 first + a dman

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote