HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steigy

Old
04-27-2012, 01:46 AM
BrookswasHere44

vCash: 500
Steigy

I hate to even talk about this again but with all the hoping and wishing last year that he would be gone, he of course stayed. Did he end up getting a multi year deal? The timeless Gary Thorne thread was started again so it got me thinking about what exactly Steigy (and company) was signed with.

Thorne to the Pens! or atleast NBC

BrookswasHere44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 05:17 AM
Mister Hockey

Paul isn't as bad as people make him seem.

Mister Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 05:51 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Tiiimmmbeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 06:58 AM
Sivek

The Pens' tv rating are extremely high. They will not make any huge moves like bringing in new announcers as long as they top the league in American tv ratings, no matter that the two don't necessarily have anything to do with one another.

They both (Errey less so but still) are as bad as they are described to be.

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:44 AM
Shwag33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Hockey View Post
Paul isn't as bad as people make him seem.

Yeah he's much much worse. Can't see at all, doenst really even try to call the games.

Huge homer to the worst degree, in our game against the rangers he said fleury was right there if not better than lundqvist.

I'd rather he be gone than paul martin.

Shwag33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:03 AM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by czwalga View Post
Yeah he's much much worse. Can't see at all, doenst really even try to call the games.

Huge homer to the worst degree, in our game against the rangers he said fleury was right there if not better than lundqvist.

Beat me to it. He's a tool and an awful announcer.

Oh, and his brother is a ****** too.

Mr. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:34 AM
DockEllisExperience

I wish the whole family would just go away. I know people who know his kid, needless to say, he's a self entitled ****** bag.

DockEllisExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Mister Hockey

Quote:

Lol, I do respect your opinion
, but lange got to comfortable. I thick the change did them both good. I just wish Tags was still in the mix more often.

Mister Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:47 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Not the worst announcer in hockey but he's in the bottom 7 or 8. The only guys more annoying / clueless are the duos from Florida and Nashville, the color guys from St. Louis and Washington, and the idiots on Altitude. IMO he's worse than the two guys in Detroit who are total homers / hard to listen to for even 5 minutes. The entitlement syndrome seethes from every port on your television.

There is zero excuse for having a guy like him in a market like this. All I can figure is the yinzers must like him, because few people around here do and this is a pretty large cross-section of fans.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:52 AM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Not the worst announcer in hockey but he's in the bottom 7 or 8. The only guys more annoying / clueless are the duos from Florida and Nashville, the color guys from St. Louis and Washington, and the idiots on Altitude. IMO he's worse than the two guys in Detroit who are total homers / hard to listen to for even 5 minutes. The entitlement syndrome seethes from every port on your television.

There is zero excuse for having a guy like him in a market like this. All I can figure is the yinzers must like him, because few people around here do and this is a pretty large cross-section of fans.
Unfortunately, I don't think anyone is going to stop watching the games due to Steigy. IDK, how stations base decision like who's in the booth.

Old
04-27-2012, 09:28 AM
Pens17

Quote:

Props to you Chancellor. Those in a position of authority rarely have exhibited consistent, reasoned, sentient, and objective thinking. Not spewing the company line is an appreciated and valued characteristic and recognized as such.

Pens17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:28 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Doc: of course we won't stop watching but that's a lousy reason for anyone to give him a contract.

You could have a chimp calling the game and people would still watch. I think we at HFB ought to treat this like a politician situation. Everyone cares enough to get someone better in there, put your email where your mouth is and write to the station, copy the Penguins media person on the email so it's not just the station getting the information.

http://pittsburgh.rootsports.com/
(Contact link at the bottom)

http://penguins.nhl.com/
(Contact link at bottom - use Customer Service option in form, for feedback on "fan experience". Technically it's more for ticket holders but for those of us not fortunate enough to buy tickets our experience is Root Sports so it's 100% valid to use that link.)

[There's also an option in the form for feedback on Mark Madden's show... feel free to unleash the fury. ]

Old
04-27-2012, 09:31 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens17 View Post
Props to you Chancellor. Those in a position of authority rarely have exhibited consistent, reasoned, sentient, and objective thinking. Not spewing the company line is an appreciated and valued characteristic and recognized as such.
Haha. I don't know that I'd call it "authority" per se, and I'm no employee but definitely I would like to see some better talent behind the microphone for Pittsburgh fans. We deserve it.

Old
04-27-2012, 09:39 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Don't forget his randomly awful player nicknames I.E. Petr Gunn or worse....Pie Asham.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:48 AM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Tyler Myers probably cried himself to sleep that night. TIMBERRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Blitzburgh87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:42 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:

You don't like Darren Pang?

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Flat Stanley

Maybe promote Steve Mears?

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Maybe promote Steve Mears?
Didn't he host NHL live a few times?

Blitzburgh87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:24 AM
FlightlessBird

Quote:
Which is funny because wasn't that the reason (or at least the rumor) why Lange was fired from FSN? I know TV can be kind of lax in that regard because the people can actually see it, but I find myself saying/thinking at least once a game, "Call the game, Steigy."

FlightlessBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:34 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh87 View Post
Didn't he host NHL live a few times?
Yeah he's been on NHL Live, and when he isn't one of the people hosting the show, sometimes they interview him on the "Cisco NHL Arena Cam" to talk about the Penguins.

I think he also does play by play for the Pens on the radio, I know Mike Lange is on, but I think Mears does HD broadcasts on XM radio? I could be wrong.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:37 AM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Yeah he's been on NHL Live, and when he isn't one of the people hosting the show, they interview him on the "Cisco NHL Arena Cam" to talk about the Penguins.

I think he also does play by play for the Pens on the radio, I know Mike Lange is on, but I think Mears does HD broadcasts on XM radio? I could be wrong.
Think you're right, they put thim on the HD station or something. Of course you have to ask the question, would he be any better than Steigy?

Old
04-27-2012, 11:41 AM
FlightlessBird

Mears does PxP on the radio when Lange is sick or can't do it for some reason. I think he maybe did it twice last season. I like Mears, but his PxP is bland, monotone, and really boring.

FlightlessBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Shwag33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockEllisExperience View Post
Think you're right, they put thim on the HD station or something. Of course you have to ask the question, would he be any better than Steigy?

Absolutely. Mears tries to act professional... he's young and aspiring he's not going to act like a retard like our announcers. Plus i'm sure he's still able to see that there are players on the ice...

Shwag33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:50 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Meats is being groomed to replace Lange, though I guess it's not impossible for them to make the switch once Mears takes over. No one's out of a job and the fans ate happier.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:51 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockEllisExperience View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think anyone is going to stop watching the games due to Steigy. IDK, how stations base decision like who's in the booth.
Root sports, like many, base it on who'll work for the least number of pennies. Enter steigy.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote