HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Predators Off-Season 2012 Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2012, 05:46 AM
NoNecksCurse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
If the new cap sticks, I'm very curious to see how we're getting to the floor.
see florida.

and agree above. at least smithson was good at the dot.

Old
06-20-2012, 06:26 AM
maplepred

Is anyone else getting the vibe that we are going to have a worse offseason than last?
If we lose suter and get no replacement or big offensive boost, gonna be long season boys... Hope that isn't the case. We will see soon enough

Old
06-20-2012, 06:50 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Is anyone else getting the vibe that we are going to have a worse offseason than last?
If we lose suter and get no replacement or big offensive boost, gonna be long season boys... Hope that isn't the case. We will see soon enough
We pretty much say this every summer... If we lose _______, and don't get a big name on offense, we are gonna suck next year... And yet somehow, it doesn't work out that way...

Old
06-20-2012, 07:39 AM
NshPredFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Ok Yip is back at 50% of Tootoo's cost. Goodbye Tootoo?
Yeah, not thinking Toots will be back. Too many hard feelings after being benched and I don't see his attitude doing anything but going down hill if he rides the pine often next season. Everybody loves him but in the long run its probably best for both him and the team if he moves on.

Old
06-20-2012, 07:40 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
We pretty much say this every summer... If we lose _______, and don't get a big name on offense, we are gonna suck next year... And yet somehow, it doesn't work out that way...
At what point does that catch up with us.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:08 AM
Predarat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Me too, a quote from Jaws "Uh I think that I am familiar with the fact that you are going to ignore this particular problem until it swims up and bites you on the ass." and someday it will.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:16 AM
PredsV82
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predarat View Post
Me too, a quote from Jaws "Uh I think that I am familiar with the fact that you are going to ignore this particular problem until it swims up and bites you on the ass." and someday it will.
well, Im sure it could at any time, especially if we have a bad season regarding key injuries... but what always seesm to happen is Poile fills the gaps in unexoected ways and our youth seems to deliver more often than not.

that said, I would really like to have another summer like the one when we signed Kariya... when we were the talk of the league because we pulled off a signing that nobody expected.... Parise would do that this year...

Old
06-20-2012, 09:42 AM
Top 6 Spaling

I hope we can bring in a decently big name guy, but, regardless of whether we do or not, I'm fully expecting the David Poile Patended Sign-About-Five-Random-Free-Agents-And-Hope-One-Or-Two-Of-Them-Pans-Out method to be in full swing.

Last year, this included Brodie Dupont, Jack Hillen, Tyler Sloan, Brian McGrattan, Aaron Johnson, and Zach Stortini.

Any guesses for this year?

Old
06-20-2012, 10:27 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Preds will not be bringing tootoo back. to my knowledge, they haven't even reached out to him after exit meetings.

Old
06-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
Preds will not be bringing tootoo back. to my knowledge, they haven't even reached out to him after exit meetings.
Source? or just speculation?

Old
06-20-2012, 10:39 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I hope we can bring in a decently big name guy, but, regardless of whether we do or not, I'm fully expecting the David Poile Patended Sign-About-Five-Random-Free-Agents-And-Hope-One-Or-Two-Of-Them-Pans-Out method to be in full swing.

Last year, this included Brodie Dupont, Jack Hillen, Tyler Sloan, Brian McGrattan, Aaron Johnson, and Zach Stortini.

Any guesses for this year?
Thought Aaron Johnson was two years ago and McGrattan was picked up during the season off of waivers.

Old
06-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Thought Aaron Johnson was two years ago and McGrattan was picked up during the season off of waivers.
You're right about McG, not sure about Aaron Johnson. Either way, you get the point. Poile (and I assume other GMs) bring in a bunch of depth guys. Some work (Joel Ward, Dan Ellis), some don't (Brodie Dupont, Niclas Bergfors)

Old
06-20-2012, 10:51 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
You're right about McG, not sure about Aaron Johnson. Either way, you get the point. Poile (and I assume other GMs) bring in a bunch of depth guys. Some work (Joel Ward, Dan Ellis), some don't (Brodie Dupont, Niclas Bergfors)
You said it yourself though, depth guys. These are guys that may turn out to be good fits or not but they are not core guys. While we haven't had a big signing for a few years, we had a pretty good team and a good core. While that core could've been stronger, the last two years of free agency haven't been that deep and this year appears to be no different. You have Parise, then Semin then everyone else.

If Parise is still around come July 1 I think we make a big run at him. If we land him somehow, Suter is back and Weber is as well. Then all of a sudden some of the guys who had been playing top line minutes get bumped down a line into their proper slots.

The other Poile can do is try to trade for a big name guy and the obvious two are Nash and Ryan. I think Nash won't happen but Ryan is a great option. Problem there is we start giving up pieces that make us good as well. I think that's where trading Wilson makes the most sense. He's a big body that Anaheim seems to like, throw in a few other solid pieces, defense and prospects and I think we can get a deal done. We can play Ryan at center, move Legwand and Fisher down a slot and be effective there as well and Suter and Weber are still here.

If I'm Poile I am going after Parise hard and then Ryan if Parise can't be had. Granted, 28 other GM's will be doing the same thing but Poile has to sell Parise on Nashville or Murray to land Ryan. Either way it would be a good move for us.

Old
06-20-2012, 11:17 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Regarding Weber, I found this quote interesting (from Cooper):

Quote:
“Yeah, maybe that’s a different situation this year too. Ryan was waiting to see what I was doing (last summer). Obviously that didn’t play out as anyone expected. This time around, I’m kind of waiting to see what he does to see what happens with him and obviously we’re hoping for the best and everything works out.”
Basically saying (under my interpretation) that if Suter walks, it's going to be another one-year deal or trade.

Old
06-20-2012, 12:12 PM
maplepred

If suter does go, it's too much of a gap to fill to even consider playoffs let alone a cup run.
We lost some vets last offseason but suter would greatly effect our upcoming season. Then if weber follows we may be getting some high draft picks.

Old
06-20-2012, 01:11 PM
PredsV82
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
If suter does go, it's too much of a gap to fill to even consider playoffs let alone a cup run.
We lost some vets last offseason but suter would greatly effect our upcoming season. Then if weber follows we may be getting some high draft picks.
disagree. Losing Suter does not drop us out of playoff contention, especially if Josi and Ellis continue to progress and we sign a decent UFA to replace him.

Yes we would have a much harder time being a top tier team but the only player whose departure by themselves would immediately make the playoffs questionable would be Rinne, and obviously he's not going anywhere

Old
06-20-2012, 01:50 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
AJ was definitely two years ago because he was going to be our captain in Springfield this past season, but thanks to the injuries on our blueline ended up playing 56 NHL games - which put him in the top-3 of our blueliners in games played, below Tyutin and John Moore.

This has been your "Holy ****" Stat Of The Day.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
06-20-2012, 01:57 PM
Top 6 Spaling

For some reason I thought we signed Aaron Johnson this past summer, then Cbus claimed him off waivers or something. Could be wrong though.

Either way, doesn't matter. He'd never make our roster.

Old
06-20-2012, 02:40 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Source? or just speculation?
according to HF rules, speculation.

Old
06-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
For some reason I thought we signed Aaron Johnson this past summer, then Cbus claimed him off waivers or something. Could be wrong though.

Either way, doesn't matter. He'd never make our roster.
One-year contract in 2010-2011 with Nashville (spent in Milwaukee), and then we picked him up for the 2011-2012 year intending to play him in Springfield.

And technically, he wasn't supposed to be able to make our roster either.

As for retreads, I dunno. Is Wolski making it to free agency? Maybe Brad Boyes gets a one-year deal?

Old
06-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

The thing is, last offseason wasn't nearly as bad as most claim it to be:
-Players we lost all got overpaid and didn't live up to their contracts
-RFA botch case got dismissed, i.e. we did nothing wrong
-Lombardi trade turned out to be a solid deal for us
-Bringing in offense from free agency was not necessary since we greatly improved our overall offense and power play from within

Only negative thing really was Weber's arbitration, but the jury is still out if that will have long term repercussions.

Old
06-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Rumors abound that Patrick Kane, Evander Kane, Bobby Ryan, and Roberto Luongo are all trade possibilities. Add that to Parise and Suter, and its gonna be a nuts off-season.

Old
06-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Iron Duke

I know some have talked about bringing back Gaustad, but if he's going to be in the $2.5M-$3M range, I'd rather see Poile take a look at Jarred Stoll. He's another tweener center, but nails in the faceoff circle, solid PK guy, has a rocket of a shot (albeit, usually misses), is great in the shootout, and does play with a bit of sandpaper to his game. Downside is that he doesn't put up half as many points as you think he should and is guaranteed to take at least one stupid penalty a game.

I just think he's likely to bring more to the table than Goose, and at a price that isn't likely to be significantly more (I'd guess $3M-$4M per max).

Old
06-20-2012, 04:23 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
Rumors abound that Patrick Kane, Evander Kane, Bobby Ryan, and Roberto Luongo are all trade possibilities. Add that to Parise and Suter, and its gonna be a nuts off-season.
But they are just that... rumours. Ryan was available once and nothing came of it.

Old
06-20-2012, 04:28 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
But they are just that... rumours. Ryan was available once and nothing came of it.
E. Kane is off that list as well. Latest is that the report was false and they're negotiating a new contract as we speak.

Closed Thread