HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Predators Off-Season 2012 Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2012, 09:15 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
what i don't understand-- why is everyone so eager to get out? Pierre McGuire was just saying that free agency isn't what it used to be because prime talent almost never hits the market...teams sign and keep their young, developed talent. And across the league that seems to be the case...yet here we are, supposedly this great place to play, and two of the best defensemen in the league are wondering about greener pastures?

It's very frustrating.
Yet a guy like Zach Parise is still unsigned. Ilya Kovalchuk tested the market. Marian Hossa moved around quite a bit. Jordan Staal just turned down a 10 year deal worth a reported $6 million a season. Rick Nash is wanting out of Columbus.

I think with Suter he's earned the right to see what's out there. Maybe he looks and doesn't see anything he likes, maybe he sees a situation which is better than the current Preds organization. I think a lot of rumors come out regarding Weber and yet he is still here. Honestly, if these guys wanted out so bad they would have asked Poile for a trade privately and then been moved.

Is it Nashville? Is it the fact that we haven't spent the money in years past and the guys are tired of it? Is it the guys waiting to see if the owners will spend finally since they said we will be a cap team? Is it the coaching staff? Is it the small market?

No offense to anyone around here but if you had the chance to play with guys like Datsyuk and Zetterberg or stay in the same situation you're in now, wouldn't you at least explore that option? I hate that it's even come to this but I'd sure like to play on a team with guys as talented as that. Suter gets to play with Weber night in and night out but what else is there here in Nashville? I love this team but beyond those two and Rinne, what else do we have that gets anyone excited outside of our fan base? Maybe Erat, beyond that, we're a bunch of lunch pail type guys and at some point, it has to be something more than that for our top guys to want to stick around.

We as a fan base have never been through something like this before. Suter is by far the best player we've ever developed that is up for free agency at this point. Obviously Weber is next. These guys are great players and they want to be surrounded by other great players. Has Poile done his due diligence in that regard. Not really but he does field a good team year in and year out. Is that enough to keep our talent, we will soon find out.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:30 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Yet a guy like Zach Parise is still unsigned. Ilya Kovalchuk tested the market. Marian Hossa moved around quite a bit. Jordan Staal just turned down a 10 year deal worth a reported $6 million a season. Rick Nash is wanting out of Columbus.

I think with Suter he's earned the right to see what's out there. Maybe he looks and doesn't see anything he likes, maybe he sees a situation which is better than the current Preds organization. I think a lot of rumors come out regarding Weber and yet he is still here. Honestly, if these guys wanted out so bad they would have asked Poile for a trade privately and then been moved.

Is it Nashville? Is it the fact that we haven't spent the money in years past and the guys are tired of it? Is it the guys waiting to see if the owners will spend finally since they said we will be a cap team? Is it the coaching staff? Is it the small market?

No offense to anyone around here but if you had the chance to play with guys like Datsyuk and Zetterberg or stay in the same situation you're in now, wouldn't you at least explore that option? I hate that it's even come to this but I'd sure like to play on a team with guys as talented as that. Suter gets to play with Weber night in and night out but what else is there here in Nashville? I love this team but beyond those two and Rinne, what else do we have that gets anyone excited outside of our fan base? Maybe Erat, beyond that, we're a bunch of lunch pail type guys and at some point, it has to be something more than that for our top guys to want to stick around.

We as a fan base have never been through something like this before. Suter is by far the best player we've ever developed that is up for free agency at this point. Obviously Weber is next. These guys are great players and they want to be surrounded by other great players. Has Poile done his due diligence in that regard. Not really but he does field a good team year in and year out. Is that enough to keep our talent, we will soon find out.
Parise- has expressed desire to stay in NJ. Ownership tumult has rendered them in a position that they can't afford to pay him what he wants.

Kovalchuk- Atlanta. Enough said. Dreadful team in a tenuous market.

Hossa- See above. Traded at deadline to Pittsburgh, only signed a one year deal with Detroit, so it wasn't an issue of "loyalty to the team that raised you."

Teams in less favorable situations than ours have had far less trouble keeping guys like this.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:34 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Add Yandle's name to the growing list of possible trade bait. Man, I would love him if Suter leaves, but I don't see Phoenix dealing him to us or Poile paying what it would take.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:47 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Parise- has expressed desire to stay in NJ. Ownership tumult has rendered them in a position that they can't afford to pay him what he wants.

Kovalchuk- Atlanta. Enough said. Dreadful team in a tenuous market.

Hossa- See above. Traded at deadline to Pittsburgh, only signed a one year deal with Detroit, so it wasn't an issue of "loyalty to the team that raised you."

Teams in less favorable situations than ours have had far less trouble keeping guys like this.
Parise wants to stay but won't because he won't get paid what he wants. Hmmmmmm. Yet they signed Kovalchuk to the big deal they did? Something isn't right there. And if he wanted to stay so bad he'd take a discount to stay but he's not because he's worth more. I think Suter is in the same boat in that he wants to see what's out there but he has never said, I'm out of Nashville and if he just wanted out he would not be talking to Poile at all. The fact that he has had contact with Poile regarding his status tells me he's still interested in staying here but wants to see what the team is going to do first. To me that's screaming, make a pitch that Parise can't refuse and I will be back as well.

I was referring to Kovalchuk and NJ. He was never a free agent with Atlanta since he was traded to NJ yet he went to free agency, took forever to sign and finally re-upped with the team he had been with.

As far as Hossa goes, while he wasn't a home grown talent, he was on very good teams before hitting free agency and yet he chose to leave the team he was on.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:58 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
what i don't understand-- why is everyone so eager to get out? Pierre McGuire was just saying that free agency isn't what it used to be because prime talent almost never hits the market...teams sign and keep their young, developed talent. And across the league that seems to be the case...yet here we are, supposedly this great place to play, and two of the best defensemen in the league are wondering about greener pastures?

It's very frustrating.
Because they look at ownership, Poile and Trotz and know a Stanley Cup winner isn't going to be built here.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:48 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

The Trades board is crazier right now than the last two deadlines combined.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:51 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
The Trades board is crazier right now than the last two deadlines combined.
It is amazing to me how many names/ideas are being tossed around as "available" or even "almost completed", yet the only deal today has been Bob to the BJs. Tons of twitter people are causing wild, wild speculation.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:55 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Honestly I'm just sick of all the ******** Poile needs to be a man and aggressive and take a risk for once in his ****ing career. Foppa doesn't count, that was the fire sale and we pretty much had to. I'm sick of the passive, cautious **** from him. Gotta try something new

Old
06-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Honestly I'm just sick of all the ******** Poile needs to be a man and aggressive and take a risk for once in his ****ing career. Foppa doesn't count, that was the fire sale and we pretty much had to. I'm suck of the passive cautious **** from him. Gotta try something new
Yeah, because being the "big splash" team and getting both Wiz and Carter worked so well for the Jackets last year.....

I'm not saying Poile shouldn't make a move. If Ryan, Parise, Nash, and possibly one of the Kane's is availible, I am all for getting them, but we have to be smart about it. I want some new blood on the team too, but I'd rather make no trades and be the 6th/7th seed than make a bunch of bad ones and miss the playoffs.

Old
06-22-2012, 03:02 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Yeah, because being the "big splash" team and getting both Wiz and Carter worked so well for the Jackets last year.....

I'm not saying Poile shouldn't make a move. If Ryan, Parise, Nash, and possibly one of the Kane's is availible, I am all for getting them, but we have to be smart about it. I want some new blood on the team too, but I'd rather make no trades and be the 6th/7th seed than make a bunch of bad ones and miss the playoffs.
But it sure did work for the kings didn't it? Poile has never made a splash other than PK. I really don't want to go through what we've gone through since we got here again next season. Its very very old. He talks about how he wants to keep all these pieces and get them re-signed but that doesn't happen and they leave for nothing. He ****ed up in WSH to. It's déjà vu

Old
06-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
But it sure did work for the kings didn't it? Poile has never made a splash other than PK. I really don't want to go through what we've gone through since we got here again next season. Its very very old. He talks about how he wants to keep all these pieces and get them re-signed but that doesn't happen and they leave for nothing. He ****ed up in WSH to. It's déjà vu
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Maybe our big splash is Parise, and we're just waiting until July 1. Who knows?

I guarentee you Poile is in trade talks, but if he truly feels a trade will make our team worse, then he shouldn't do the trade.

Example: We want Bobby Ryan. Anaheim says that unless Weber goes back, it's no deal because they want a top Dman. Poile offers Wilson+Ellis+picks, they say no, Weber or bust. Bobby gets traded to, say, NYR for Staal+Stepan. Nashville fans want Poile's head. What was he supposed to do?

Hustlechuck24 and I have this arguement all the time. Poile can't just say, "hm, I feel like grabbing a top line player this week." We have to find a guy who is availible, is a good fit for our team, and who we have the right pieces to aquire. Last summer, Carter and Richard got traded, and everyone wanted Poile to get them, and was furious he didn't. I'm sure Poile tried, but Philly wanted young, top 6 forwards and high draft picks. Schenn, Voracek, the 8th overall, and Simmonds were all above what we could offer. Wilson is close, but Schenn, Voracek, and the 8th overall (Couturier) were all better pieces. Simmonds was a throw in with Schenn. Poile could not top that deal and meet Philly's needs.

If the teams dealing good players aren't looking for offensive D prospects, we cant do much.

Old
06-22-2012, 03:15 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Honestly I'm just sick of all the ******** Poile needs to be a man and aggressive and take a risk for once in his ****ing career. Foppa doesn't count, that was the fire sale and we pretty much had to. I'm sick of the passive, cautious **** from him. Gotta try something new
poile signed the yipster.... what more do you want?

Old
06-22-2012, 03:18 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
poile signed the yipster.... what more do you want?
Smithson back

Old
06-22-2012, 03:19 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Smithson back
lol he might be able to do that... but nothing more!

Old
06-22-2012, 03:34 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Habs shopping PK Subban-- would love to grab him, with the defensive uncertainty going forward.

Old
06-22-2012, 03:35 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Habs shopping PK Subban-- would love to grab him, with the defensive uncertainty going forward.
we don't have the pieces to get him.. all those deadline deals really hurt us in being able to move picks

Old
06-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Very curious what the Habs are thinking here...Are they going for line-mates Yakupov and Galchenyuk?

Montreal trades Subban(+) for 1st overall(+)

MTL:Yak
CLB:Murray
MTL:Gally

At #30 or #32, CLB picks Malcomb Subban

Old
06-22-2012, 04:29 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
How about all the moves at the deadline this year? We traded ourselves out of the first two rounds trying to win a Stanley Cup. How about Radulov, both at the draft and this past spring? Poile was not cautious this season, and he was not passive. He was quite the opposite. If that wasn't enough for you, then you should go support the Maple Leafs.

Old
06-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
How about all the moves at the deadline this year? We traded ourselves out of the first two rounds trying to win a Stanley Cup. How about Radulov, both at the draft and this past spring? Poile was not cautious this season, and he was not passive. He was quite the opposite. If that wasn't enough for you, then you should go support the Maple Leafs.
Conversely, look at how active teams like Buffalo and Columbus were last off-season in terms of acquiring players and spending $, and where it got them.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:32 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
May I suggest you try Edmonton?

If Poile makes moves, it isn't the right "splash". If he doesn't make moves, he's too "passive". Certain "splash" moves don't count because ..... well .... you dismiss them.

Florida improved with a plethora of moves over the summer ... but remained far from a world beater. Columbus and Buffalo swung for the fences and missed. LA needed a second cut at making a splash to gain any traction with the Carter move after underperforming for the first 5+ months of the season ... a move that Columbus was unlikely to make with us at the time at a cost we'd be willing to pay. Philly's summer moves last year required payment in assets we simply didn't have to offer ... very early picks and forward talent.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:45 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

It isn't that Poile needs to be passive or aggressive or whatever. It's that he needs to find that incredibly rare "right big move". He has made a ton of right moves for role players and lesser top six forwards. Like a lot of GMs, he hasn't caught lightning in a bottle yet in Nashville. At least he hasn't done it with the extra benefit of his team remaining healthy.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:53 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
It isn't that Poile needs to be passive or aggressive or whatever. It's that he needs to find that incredibly rare "right big move". He has made a ton of right moves for role players and lesser top six forwards. Like a lot of GMs, he hasn't caught lightning in a bottle yet in Nashville. At least he hasn't done it with the extra benefit of his team remaining healthy.
How long does he get to catch "lightening in a bottle"? Is that all it is? Pure luck?

He's already had his share of luck with Weber, Rinne, and Erat. Where he has failed is the more routine stuff, like being able to choose a 1st round pick or sign our own home grown players to long term deals.

In those areas he gets routinely fleeced by player's agents or other GMs.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:58 PM
NoNecksCurse

when/if suter/weber walk, this franchise will be in DEEP trouble.

Old
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Trade for a Gretzky like player!!!! It worked for LA. Oh .... wait.

Get Kovy. Oh... no Cups from that either. Brad Richards and Gaborik to the Rangers? Not quite. Bring in Luongo to backstop a team with the Sedins up front. Darn ... another plan that hasn't resulted in a Cup. Draft Ovie? Nope. Throw money at it like the Habs and Leafs? C'mon.

Yes ... it's a lot of luck. It's who is healthy at what time ... chemistry ... there isn't a formula where A+B= Championship.

Old
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
How long does he get to catch "lightening in a bottle"? Is that all it is? Pure luck?

He's already had his share of luck with Weber, Rinne, and Erat. Where he has failed is the more routine stuff, like being able to choose a 1st round pick or sign our own home grown players to long term deals.

In those areas he gets routinely fleeced by player's agents or other GMs.
I'm trying to decide if you're trolling or not....

Please find me a team that has never had a bust draft pick. Even in the first round, not everyone makes it. Poile's draft record is 100 times better than most.

As far as re-signing, yes, its obviously Poile's fault that the ownership wouldn't give him money to re-sign Hartnell, Vokoun, and Timonen. Clearly the blame rests squarely on Poile's shoulders that we had to shed salary. BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!

And I know you're going to say "Well Suter won't re-sign!". We don't know that. Kovalchuk hit free agency and stayed. Suter wants to test the market. Oh well.

And, speaking of which, if Suter does leave, will someone please explain to me how that is Poile's fault. I've heard people say "If Suter leaves, Poile should get fired." Why? Poile should lose his job becuase Suter wants to live closer to home? In a bigger market? All Poile can do is offer him a fair deal, he can't mind control Suter into staying.

Closed Thread