HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL (Part XXXV): Playoffs!

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sent: May 9, 2012 11:58a

So here's what I've heard...if NYR win tonight...West Final will start Saturday with G1 in Glendale...East Final G1 would be Sunday in NYC.

sent via Twitter for BlackBerry®
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/JSportsnet/status/200253292062838784
I'd prefer more of a break, let the Devils forget how good their playing.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:40 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Definitely true, but they even managed to add an extra element to their games in the postseason. Sens came with a physical presence that just really seemed to catch the Rangers by surprise. Caps appear to have turned over a new defensive leaf to the point where Ovechkin is diving into shooting lanes to block shots. Torts hasn't been as effective at adjusting the game plan accordingly.
I dont know that Torts needs to change things if the Rangers keep winning. Realistically, what could he do? The Rangers are a highly structured team defensively and are still playing solid defense, I dont know that I'd want to tinker with it, as I dont think it's as easy to change things with a team like that as it might be with most teams. It's sortof like a puzzle that fits together right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
And when I read posts like "The Caps could've swept 4-0" I just have to assume you have no idea what you're talking about.
I was responding to your post that gave the Caps very little credit and stated the Rangers would just automatically win if they played the way they have; like the very little credit you gave the Flyers, and the very little credit you gave the Devils.

I don't see why you think it's an irrational comment, the Caps barely lost Game 1 in hitting 4 posts that game, the long OT loss they hit a pipe late in the 3rd, then another pipe in OT. And I wasnt even counting Game 5, which was just Ward grasping defeat from the Jaws of victory. Point is, your comment was implying that the Rangers have dominated play in this series, and as a watcher I was saying I think you give the Caps way too little credit. At worst, it has been even, and I think the Rangers are enormously fortunate to be up 3-2 as opposed to down 3-2 or perhaps even eliminated. That's what I was saying, and you thought that that was ridiculous.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

The Rangers hit numerous posts in game 2, as well.

A high sticking penalty didn't put the puck in the net for the Rangers. If Richards and Cally don't combine for a goal there no one remembers that play.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:45 AM
DARKSIDE

If the Rangers do play the Devils, which I believe they will they are favorites. My mind say's Rangers in 6 but I guess like everyone else I keep underestimating the Devils and my heart say's they have a real shot at an upset.

But I'm only nervous fan. The Rangers are different story and should not take them litely.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

A Rangers Devils ECF? We have a ways to go here, still before we talk about it but I think any time those teams meet in a 3rd round its bound to be epic.

If, we make it, 7 game series. Anything else would be dissapointing.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:51 AM
McRanger

Florida was the worst team in the playoffs by a pretty huge margin. Florida was not much better than the Atlanta team the Rangers swept in '07. And the Rangers were no world beaters that year.

The Rangers went 9-1 against Florida and Philly in the regular season and outscored them 38-17.

They Rangers went 3-5 against Ottawa and Washington and were outscored 19-27.

Philly was probably the best team in out of the 4, but looked like the worst in that second round.

Pretty sure Florida/Philly would have been an easier road. I said it before the playoffs and I have seen nothing to make me think otherwise.

Welcome to the wonderful world of parity, where a flawed team can win the east and an even more flawed team can walk into the Conference Finals.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:52 AM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

vCash: 983
I rather enjoy the first round post game 5 bridge jumping variety of Devils fan a lot more than the current cocky bunch.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:52 AM
NYR Viper

Considering Kovalchuk is not 100%, I am unsure how big of a factor he will be in the next round. Who knows....

Old
05-09-2012, 11:57 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
I'm gonna go out on a real limb here (sarcasm) and say most people will view the Panthers and Flyers as a more difficult "road" than the #8 Senators and #7 Capitals. Not that it matters.
Honestly, the Caps are probably the 2nd best team in the East and that's no joke. Some of their main players were hurt for most of the season (Backstrom, Green) and Ovechkin had a pretty off year. Plus with Holtby emerging, they're legit. Put this Caps team for a whole season they probably clean up in the Southeast.

The Sens were just a terrible match-up for the Rangers. It's not that they were a particularly great team, but the Rangers just matched up really bad against them.

Old
05-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Shadowtron

Whichever team the Rangers are playing immediately becomes the most difficult team for them in the POs because the Rangers can't score goals and have virtually no PP. They've been held to 2 or fewer in almost every game of the POs thus far. Only through sheer willpower have they managed to dig deep and find the goals they needed. Should the Rangers be fortunate enough to escape Washington, they'll be jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Salz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Whichever team the Rangers are playing immediately becomes the most difficult team for them in the POs because the Rangers can't score goals and have virtually no PP. They've been held to 2 or fewer in almost every game of the POs thus far. Only through sheer willpower have they managed to dig deep and find the goals they needed. Should the Rangers be fortunate enough to escape Washington, they'll be jumping from the frying pan into the fire.
I just glanced at your posts. They are almost always negative.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

WTF is people's obsession with goal posts? Yeah. One inch one way and it would be a goal. But one inch the other way, and it would miss the net. So Devils fans, quit being like the Caps fans whining about posts. They're not goals. They're not even shots on goal. They're as close to being a goal as they are to being shot wide.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
WTF is people's obsession with goal posts? Yeah. One inch one way and it would be a goal. But one inch the other way, and it would miss the net. So Devils fans, quit being like the Caps fans whining about posts. They're not goals. They're not even shots on goal. They're as close to being a goal as they are to being shot wide.
Let's not be homers here, Brodeur in his 50 years in the NHL has never once been saved by a goal post. It's that lucky bastahd Lundqvist, he remains the only goalie that I know of, to have ever been saved by a post, much less 4 in 1 game. They don't call goal posts Lundqvist's best friend for nothing.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
Let's not be homers here, Brodeur in his 50 years in the NHL has never once been saved by a goal post. It's that lucky bastahd Lundqvist, he remains the only goalie that I know of, to have ever been saved by a post, much less 4 in 1 game. They don't call goal posts Lundqvist's best friend for nothing.
How could I forget! Of course, the Great Marty has NEVER said thank you to a post! Don't even know why I posted what I did. We all know that Lundqvist is the ONLY goalie to ever be saved by a post or crossbar! You're right!

Old
05-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Salz

Quote:
They are so obnoxious.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
How could I forget! Of course, the Great Marty has NEVER said thank you to a post! Don't even know why I posted what I did. We all know that Lundqvist is the ONLY goalie to ever be saved by a post or crossbar! You're right!
A real goalie doesn't need goal posts or cross bars.

BTW,That would be a great T-shirt for a goalie.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

Quote:
A real goalie doesn't need goal posts or cross bars.

BTW,That would be a great T-shirt for a goalie.
Guess Hank isn't getting the Vezina!

I'm sure Quick and Rinne haven't been saved by posts this year either.

NHL should watch all 82 games of the Kings, Rangers, and Preds, count how many posts were hit vs. each goalie, and award the Vezina based on that.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:35 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
A Rangers Devils ECF? We have a ways to go here, still before we talk about it but I think any time those teams meet in a 3rd round its bound to be epic.

If, we make it, 7 game series. Anything else would be dissapointing.
I don't know if my heart could take it.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Guess Hank isn't getting the Vezina!

I'm sure Quick and Rinne haven't been saved by posts this year either.

NHL should watch all 82 games of the Kings, Rangers, and Preds, count how many posts were hit vs. each goalie, and award the Vezina based on that.
Are you kidding, according to other fans, Hank is the benefactor of a great defense, shot blocking and how can we forget hundreds of goal posts. The other ones are there on their own merits. LDO

Old
05-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

Quote:
Are you kidding, according to other fans, Hank is the benefactor of a great defense, shot blocking and how can we forget hundreds of goal posts. The other ones are there on their own merits. LDO
Yep. Obviously his team blocking shots will help his sv %.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:02 PM
beastly115

Hank's pads are too big. He won't win the Vezina because GM's are going to measure all of the goalie's pads and whoever has the smallest pads wins.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Lundqvist has sparkles on his mask that blind opposing shooters. The GM's will take that into consideration as well. May as well kiss the Vezina goodbye.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:12 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
WTF is people's obsession with goal posts?
I guess it's the idea that the shot beat the goalie and was as close as it can be to going in. Of course that discounts the fact that the goalie may have saved it if it didn't hit the post.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
One time I walked into an empty devils arena, and there marty was, making out with the goal post!

Old
05-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastly115 View Post
Hank's pads are too big. He won't win the Vezina because GM's are going to measure all of the goalie's pads and whoever has the smallest pads wins.
They don't call him Lundpads in Jersey for nothing.

Closed Thread