HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden

Will we ever see a Swedish player as good as prime Forsberg again?

View Poll Results: Will we ever see a Swedish player as good as Forsberg again?
YES! 22 48.89%
NO! 23 51.11%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

vCash: 500
Will we ever see a Swedish player as good as prime Forsberg again?

I've heard this said many times that we won't, by Tommy Boustedt for instance, and I guess it's a testament to Forsberg's incredible legacy and (deserved) legend status in Swedish hockey.

Edited: Do you believe we will?

Last edited by Pentothal: 11-20-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Pentothal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 03:17 PM
SurMartin

I saw one just last night in the Red Wings@Kings-game.

(Now see this turn into another "who is swedens best"-thread...)

SurMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 03:28 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Fair point I suppose, we can narrow it down to forwards then.

Personally, I think nostalgia comes into it and I can't see why Sweden would *never* produce a player of his caliber again.

Old
11-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Dosing

What kind of swede are you not having a "maybe" option? ;P

Ignoring nostalgic thinking for a second, to be bigger then foppa in swedish hockey he would 1st, have to get all his fame with the national team and none from his club, be from a small town no one hates, win ****loads of golds and act like it's natural to always play for tre kronor and win gold, simultaneously.
Also he has to look badass and have a noble name like "stjärnsvärd".
Being almost as good of a player as foppa will be enough if he can fulfill all that ^D

Dosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 03:37 PM
KRM

Forberg was a unique player, that combined with huge success with Tre Kronor has created an legendary status that will be hard for any player to reach. Lidström IMO has is a superior player, but he will never reach the same status as Forsberg in Sweden. I'm sure we'll see more productive NHL players in just a few years, but the complete package which Forsberg brought to the game? Maybe Landeskog if he could develop his offensive game by a large margin.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 03:38 PM
romelson

Send a message via MSN to romelson
I dont understand the question.

Lidstrom is better, greater, and of higher caliber than Forsberg.

Not voting, since the question is inadequate.

romelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosing View Post
What kind of swede are you not having a "maybe" option? ;P

Ignoring nostalgic thinking for a second, to be bigger then foppa in swedish hockey he would 1st, have to get all his fame with the national team and none from his club, be from a small town no one hates, win ****loads of golds and act like it's natural to always play for tre kronor and win gold, simultaneously.
Also he has to look badass and have a noble name like "stjärnsvärd".
Being almost as good of a player as foppa will be enough if he can fulfill all that ^D
Haha.. Well, I'm not really talking of a player that could rival Peter's "legend" or "greatness", just on-ice qualities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post
Forberg was a unique player, that combined with huge success with Tre Kronor has created an legendary status that will be hard for any player to reach. Lidström IMO has is a superior player, but he will never reach the same status as Forsberg in Sweden. I'm sure we'll see more productive NHL players in just a few years, but the complete package which Forsberg brought to the game? Maybe Landeskog if he could develop his offensive game by a large margin.
Agree with all of that except maybe the part about Lidström if we're talking peak, but I'd have that as a tie. It's pretty hard to judge them against each other since they play different positions. Career-wise, Lidström obviously wins in a landslide though.

The reason that I made this thread is because I've seen it stated as fact a bunch of times, on here and other places, that we will never see a Swedish player as good as Forsberg again. Boustedt I believe even went as far as to call him the most talented player to ever play the game.

Last edited by Pentothal: 11-20-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old
11-20-2011, 04:48 PM
WayneBruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by romelson View Post
I dont understand the question.

Lidstrom is better, greater, and of higher caliber than Forsberg.

Not voting, since the question is inadequate.
True, if we are talking about career. The only swedish player that could at one point be considered the best player in the world is Forsberg though. You could maybe make a case for Lidstrom, Naslund and the Sedins during their best moments, but Forsberg was clearly the best during his peak. I think we will see other players as good as Forsberg in the future, but no player will be better at playing the way he did. He is probably the most spectacular swedish player ever and will be remembered as a very unique player. My favorite player, and no other comes close.

WayneBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Harks

Forsberg was like when you made a player in NHL 2001 and maxed everything.
The complete package.

Harks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:21 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Here is a similar thread which is ok do reuse if one wants to: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=564646

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 06:15 AM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
Depends what you mean by "as good", I assume you mean who will use his playstyle, roughly. I think Forsberg was a lot about attitude and his determination to win, and in that regard, I definitely hope we'll see someone like that again. But it's gonna be hard to get someone with a career like his. I think Landeskog isn't too far off in his potential, but to be like Forsberg he needs to have a "beast" level that can just be unleashed, maybe that will come though, we'll see.

Lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 09:29 AM
bp spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlamov71 View Post
True, if we are talking about career. The only swedish player that could at one point be considered the best player in the world is Forsberg though. You could maybe make a case for Lidstrom, Naslund and the Sedins during their best moments, but Forsberg was clearly the best during his peak. I think we will see other players as good as Forsberg in the future, but no player will be better at playing the way he did. He is probably the most spectacular swedish player ever and will be remembered as a very unique player. My favorite player, and no other comes close.
Mats Sundin?

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugaid View Post
Depends what you mean by "as good", I assume you mean who will use his playstyle, roughly. I think Forsberg was a lot about attitude and his determination to win, and in that regard, I definitely hope we'll see someone like that again. But it's gonna be hard to get someone with a career like his. I think Landeskog isn't too far off in his potential, but to be like Forsberg he needs to have a "beast" level that can just be unleashed, maybe that will come though, we'll see.
I was just thinking of a player, well forward really, whose overall impact all things considered, is as big or even better than Forsberg's.. Wasn't really considering style although I pray to God that we'll see a Forsberg clone one day.

I don't see why it would be impossible to imagine, say a Swedish Lemieux level talent some time in the future. Although that might be a reach.

Old
11-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
If it's something history has teached us, it's that the future is almost impossible to forsee Who knows, the way the game develops. The thing is that swedish junior hockey is very much based around the classical swedish approach of playing as a team. That has been very successful for producing talent at an NHL level, but it also takes a toll in that we're not seeing that many players who can completely dominant in a North American environment. Landeskog would be the exception so far, but he's had lots of experience in the junior leagues over seas.

As much as Forsberg was fantastic and is a hero for most swedish hockey fans, it's not like we're talking about an impossibility on the level of Orr/Gretzky, it's very possible, I would say.

Lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Jonimaus

I think a better question would be: Will we ever see another swedish hockey player as loved (in Sweden) as Forsberg?

Jonimaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 05:25 AM
FabricDetails

In terms of popularity status, natural talent, and ability to produce stats and wins? Of course.

May not be for a long time but it'll happen.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:52 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
In terms of popularity status, natural talent, and ability to produce stats and wins? Of course.

May not be for a long time but it'll happen.
The bolded part is imo the highly unlikely part to happen for a while. Probably not until us hanging around here are old farts and new generations, that never experienced Foppa play for the National team, shout the loudest.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Nordic*

Yes, we will, but not as good compared to the peers of the same era.

I also believe hell will freeze over before we have a forward as good as Forsberg, defencemen or goalies, yes, but not forwards.

Don't ask me to motivate that opinion though.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:08 AM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

I'd say no.

One could (and I'm not saying it's true) argue that Forsberg was the most complete hockey player of all time. He was dominant in every aspect of the game.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:56 AM
nudie

Quote:
You could maybe make a case for Lidstrom, Naslund and the Sedins during their best moments, but Forsberg was clearly the best during his peak.
And thats the thing right? Even if Sedins together win three straight art ross, Crosby and Ovechkin are still considered the better players. Comparing their peak seasons when H.Sedin and Forsberg won both art and hart, the consensus was that Ovechkin in particular (having a mad 1.5ppg season) was the best player when Sedin won. But when Forsberg won it was the best player in the league winning it.

nudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 06:56 AM
Peter The Great

What made Forsberg stand out from the rest was his winner instinct, giving it all attitude, increadibly strong stick handling and his amazing offensive forechecking.

Forsberg took offensive forechecking to a whole new level.

If we ever will get something similar from Sweden?

Landeskog... well, it's way to early to say. I agree that you can't compare any players to Forsberg but I will do it anyay since he is the biggest Swedish talent in a long time.

Landeskog looks promising regarding winner instinct, offensive forechecking and giving it all attitude but he has a long, long, long, long way too go. Also he is far from being this flashy and technical player which Forsberg was. Forsberg simply had a lot more skill.

Landeskogs slapshot looks a bit weak, which is worrying.

Forsberg was never really a leader though, at least not off the ice, not very outspoken. You could say that Forsberg was leading by example though (on the ice) and his winner attitude affecting his team mates as well.

I would say that Landeskog is the biggest leadership talent that Sweden ever has had, being this young. If he doesn't become a NHL captain one day, nobody else from Sweden will.

21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 07:14 AM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 View Post
I would say that Landeskog is the biggest leadership talent that Sweden ever has had, being this young. If he doesn't become a NHL captain one day, nobody else from Sweden will.
Dude, what the heck? You guys have had the pleasure of having the best captain in the world for a decade in a form of Nicklas Lidström. Landeskog has very, very big boots to fill in to be anything near as good of a captain. Lidström is in my books not only top 3 D-man of all time, one of the best captains of all time.

FinRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 07:35 AM
Peter The Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinRuutu View Post
Dude, what the heck? You guys have had the pleasure of having the best captain in the world for a decade in a form of Nicklas Lidström. Landeskog has very, very big boots to fill in to be anything near as good of a captain. Lidström is in my books not only top 3 D-man of all time, one of the best captains of all time.
Dude, I'm talking about talent and potential now, pure speculations about the future.

Landeskog is still extremely young.

I'm a Swede but I think most of our current and former NHL captains are way overrated. Lidstrom is probably the best captain of the ones we have had though, Alfredsson close second.

I LOVED Sundin as a player and also as a captain for the Swedish national team but I never understood why making him a Captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Being a captain in Sweden is a huge difference from a captain for a NHL team, a lot of it has to do with cultural and social differences.

In general I think we Swedes are a little bit to calm and quiet for being captains in the NHL but yes, we do have exceptions.

The is just me and my personal view, I'm pretty sure most Swedish fans doesn't agree with me. ;-)

Also I have never understood why the teams best player sometimes automatically becomes the captain, it's wrong.

Sometimes the best player may also be the best leader, but there are many exceptions, that's for sure.

Last edited by 21: 01-12-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old
01-12-2012, 08:23 AM
WayneBruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 View Post
Dude, I'm talking about talent and potential now, pure speculations about the future.

Landeskog is still extremely young.

I'm a Swede but I think most of our current and former NHL captains are way overrated. Lidstrom is probably the best captain of the ones we have had though, Alfredsson close second.

I LOVED Sundin as a player and also as a captain for the Swedish national team but I never understood why making him a Captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Being a captain in Sweden is a huge difference from a captain for a NHL team, a lot of it has to do with cultural and social differences.

In general I think we Swedes are a little bit to calm and quiet for being captains in the NHL but yes, we do have exceptions.

The is just me and my personal view, I'm pretty sure most Swedish fans doesn't agree with me. ;-)

Also I have never understood why the teams best player sometimes automatically becomes the captain, it's wrong.

Sometimes the best player may also be the best leader, but there are many exceptions, that's for sure.
As captains i´d rank them as:

Sundin
Lidstrom
Alfredsson

Sundin feels like the more natural captain. Lidstrom and Alfredsson are great players and get a lot of respect on and off the ice, but Sundins personality fits the role of captain better.

WayneBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 08:48 AM
Peter The Great

Quote:
As captains i´d rank them as:

Sundin
Lidstrom
Alfredsson

Sundin feels like the more natural captain. Lidstrom and Alfredsson are great players and get a lot of respect on and off the ice, but Sundins personality fits the role of captain better.
Sundin, on top, seriously?

If talking only NHL now, what did Sundin accomplish during his years as a Captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs? He gave me the impression that the captaincy was a burden.

Sundin was great as a player, one of Sweden's top three players all time. Also did a good job as a captain for Sweden.

But way to quiet, nice and calm for leading a NHL team if you ask me.

Well, we are free to have different opinions. ;-)

Last edited by 21: 01-12-2012 at 09:03 AM.