HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

IF the Scab Rangers won the stanley cup

View Poll Results: If the scab Rangers won the Stanley Cup would you care?
Yes 27 52.94%
No 24 47.06%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2004, 08:48 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
IF the Scab Rangers won the stanley cup

would you care?

Old
12-13-2004, 08:58 PM
dedalus

Sure. Still goes in the NHL record book and they'd be playing against replacements of equivalent quality.

Mind you, there would be no 4 million person parade, but even with replacements, there would be more springtime buzz in NYC about the Rangers than there's been in the last 5 years with NHL regulars.

The NHL name and the Stanley Cup are powerful brand names. They'll draw attention no matter the individual players competing for the championship. (I think this is equally true of the other sports.)

Old
12-13-2004, 09:07 PM
patnyrnyg

If a replacement player ever steps on MSG ice wearing ranger blue, I am done with hockey.

Old
12-13-2004, 09:16 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg
If a replacement player ever steps on MSG ice wearing ranger blue, I am done with hockey.
I'd still watch hockey, but not the NHL or the Rangers

Old
12-13-2004, 09:16 PM
Balej20*

wouldnt the "replacement" players be guys from our system?? where do these scab players come from?

Old
12-13-2004, 09:17 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
I may rub it in the faces of some choice Flyers fans, but the win would be meaningless. The Stanley Cup means so much because it's the harshest grind against the best players in the world.

Old
12-13-2004, 09:18 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
wouldnt the "replacement" players be guys from our system?? where do these scab players come from?
Like in baseball, they'd probably be guys who figure thats their only shot and need the $. I doubt the legit prospects would risk it. Lots of ECHL level guys i'd predict.

Old
12-13-2004, 09:20 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
They come from wherever players willing to play come from. Some might be scrubs from Hartford and Charlotte, but most of the prospects that think they have a legitimate shot at the NHL are not likely to cross the line. The price to pay when the players come back is just too great.

Old
12-13-2004, 10:08 PM
pld459666

I've never associated my self with

the players wearing the jersey, I've always rooted for the Jersey that the players wear.

It's more important that I see New York Rangers hockey, then it is to see Jagr in a Rangers jersey.

I would absolutely support replacement players.

In today's day and age, this country can surely do without unions, they were needed and useful when the common laborer was being taken advantage of many many moons ago, but in this day and age with so many laws protecting employees, the need for a union has past.

I have stronger opinions of unions, but I'll keep those to myself so as to not offend some of the more friendly folks around here.

Old
12-13-2004, 10:49 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
I may rub it in the faces of some choice Flyers fans, but the win would be meaningless. The Stanley Cup means so much because it's the harshest grind against the best players in the world.
Exactly.

Old
12-13-2004, 11:18 PM
Laches

Well, it would be a welcome change to see a Ranger team, any Ranger team, put in the effort required to win 16 postseason games.

How sad would that be that a bunch of scabs would have shown more effort in one season than various combinations of talented-but-heartless multi-millionaires showed over the course of seven.

Old
12-14-2004, 12:24 AM
xander

would the stanely cup even be awarded? The Cup was established before the NHL and is supposed to be awarded to the best hockey team in north america. If the NHL was filled with mostley ECHL level talent then I'd imagine that a few AHL teams would be able to beat them, or atleast make it clear that there was no one best team in north america.

this leads me to another question, who owns the cup? whoever owns the cup would, I imagine, have the right to decide who to reward it too. With no clearly superior league I'd suspect that the cup would not be awarded, that is if it's owned by a third party and not the NHL.

As to the origional question, no, I'd be offended if the cup was awarded to a scab team, whether they be the rangers or otherwise.

Old
12-14-2004, 12:45 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

It depends if the scab players are in our players in the system...if they are then yes. If they are not then no.

Old
12-14-2004, 01:10 AM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
It's hard to say....it wouldn't feel like the Rangers I know. I've watched this team for years, following with players I watched us trade for, draft and sign. To all of sudden have that taken away and replaced with abunch of scabs with minor league talent and seemingly nothing to do with the Rangers other then being blue body's on MSG ice? Playing all the teams I hate without the players I've grown to hate on them, just more useless replacements.... seems like a very boring, very bland product.

It sure as hell wouldn't be the same for me.

Old
12-14-2004, 05:30 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
the players wearing the jersey, I've always rooted for the Jersey that the players wear.

It's more important that I see New York Rangers hockey, then it is to see Jagr in a Rangers jersey.

In today's day and age, this country can surely do without unions, they were needed and useful when the common laborer was being taken advantage of many many moons ago, but in this day and age with so many laws protecting employees, the need for a union has past.

I have stronger opinions of unions, but I'll keep those to myself so as to not offend some of the more friendly folks around here.
As a delegate in the NYC teachers union, I can tell you they are needed. Do some go too far? yes. Do they have internal problems and corruptions, yes. But, they are a necessary evil. However, I will just leave it at that, this is not the board to discuss this.

Old
12-14-2004, 08:09 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Beating the Hab Scabs would still be sweet!
And the Make BeLeafs.

Old
12-14-2004, 09:55 AM
True Blue

To me, the Stanley Cup would be cheapened

if it is won with basically ECHL talents and other roller hockey warriors. Win the Stanley Cup with people that are only slightly better than some of the posters on this board? Big effin' deal.

Old
12-14-2004, 11:03 AM
Kodiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666

I agree that a fan should support the team over the players, but I also think that a fan should support a league over a team. I support the NHL because it's a collection of the best players from all over the world. If that's taken away on such a massive scale, I can't bring myself to be more than a casual fan.

Old
12-14-2004, 11:17 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Sure.

Who doesn't long to hear the words, "Captain Tony Tuzzolino, come get the Stanley Cup."

Old
12-14-2004, 11:26 AM
xander

what would also be upsetting is if they're is a scab league in which the rangers do well, and then next year the real players come back but we get a bad draft pick becouse our scab team did well. that would make me furious.

Old
12-14-2004, 11:30 AM
zestystrat

Lord Scabby's Cup. mmmmmm no thx, I don't want to drink from that.

Old
12-14-2004, 11:36 AM
drewcon40

Only if the Vezina went to - Jason Muzzatti or Jamie Ram.

Old
12-14-2004, 11:38 AM
Fletch

That's a funny situation, xander...

and it's something one can only imagine would happen to the Rangers.

Personally, I don't have much interest in a scab league. Yeah, support the team, but Kodiak's right, support the league first. I support the Rangers, and therefore I support the 'Pack, but have never once been to a game, and really aren't too upset when I miss a rare televised game as it's still not up to NHL snuff.

Old
12-14-2004, 12:19 PM
pld459666

I don't believe that teh league is fully behind a cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
I agree that a fan should support the team over the players, but I also think that a fan should support a league over a team. I support the NHL because it's a collection of the best players from all over the world. If that's taken away on such a massive scale, I can't bring myself to be more than a casual fan.

Just about 10-13 teams that are the driving force behind Bettman's demand for a cap.

Will the other teams benefit for having a cap? without question, but I don't believe that the majority of the league is that hardcore for a cap

so it's with that that I can't support something that I do not fully believe in.

Old
12-14-2004, 12:46 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Wouldn't even count in my book.

To tell the truth, I was ecstatic when we won in 94, but even then, the fact that we had basically bought Messier and stolen Graves bothered me a bit.

Closed Thread