HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Smith Not Nominated for Vezina

Old
04-25-2012, 06:02 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
Mike Smith Not Nominated for Vezina

Booooooooooo!

http://arizonasports.com/43/1533052/Coyotes-goalie-Mike-Smith-not-a-Vezina-finalist

Last edited by RR: 04-25-2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Added link
rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:06 PM
O23L
Worst tank ever.

Did anyone honestly think he would? This is Phoenix, come on!

O23L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:19 PM
BuffaloAZ

Not surprised. I'm not saying he didn't deserve the consideration. I just didn't think he would make the cut.

BuffaloAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:28 PM
krepitch
Coyote Fan

Screw it. Win the Conn Smythe instead.

krepitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:30 PM
Shepard

I don't have a problem with this. Quick and Lundqvist were locks, and it's hard to argue Rinne isn't deserving of his nomination.

Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:35 PM
nhlfan9191

Smith got robbed of a nomination. He killed Rinne in every stat except wins but Rinne played in 6 more games. Absolute joke.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:36 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

He deserves it, but it's not like the other three aren't.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:38 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

I don't think he minds. He's probably got bigger and better things in mind.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:50 PM
Sciamachy
Formerly Sceva Sct

That's fine, let him use it as motivation over the next 4-7 games to show that he deserved it over Rinne.

Sciamachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:53 PM
awfulwaffle

While he had a great season, don't get me wrong, I feel Quick and the king were better, and Rinne is just as deserving. I'm pretty sure Smith is just fine not getting nominated, while his team is still in the playoffs going for the biggest prize.

On another note, GMDM wasn't nominated for GM of the year either. That is a bit more surprising than Smith for Vezina.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Kaizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by krepitch View Post
Exactly!

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 07:13 PM
Swat Ultra
~Hockey!~

We will see who deserved it smith or pekka, in the coming days.

Swat Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 07:17 PM
Wile E Coyotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by krepitch View Post
He'll win the Conn Smith

Wile E Coyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 07:51 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

He probably finished 4th or 5th.

Minor nit: players are not nominated for awards. The Vezina voting is already over and the winner decided. The league just reveals the top 3 vote getters as finalists and we have to wait until the winner is revealed in June.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:15 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Did not know that. Top five is something, that's for sure.

Tip and DM should both be the top vote getters in their categories. I imagines Tallon's ridiculous throw a bunch of money around, and over pay a bunch of players, in order to drag yourselves into the playoffs will get him the most votes. Stupid.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:16 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Did not know that. Top five is something, that's for sure.

Tip and DM should both be the top vote getters in their categories. I imagines Tallon's ridiculous throw a bunch of money around, and over pay a bunch of players, in order to drag yourselves into the playoffs will get him the most votes. Stupid.
GMDM didn't get nominated. Those were released a few days ago. How he wasn't is beyond me.

Old
04-25-2012, 08:31 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
GMDM didn't get nominated. Those were released a few days ago. How he wasn't is beyond me.
This is only the 3rd season the award has been in existence and DM won the inaugural award. Like the coach of the year award voters just aren't going to vote multi-winners in a short span of seasons if they can help it.

Old
04-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Yeah, I don't see how you can look at that Upshall, Jovanovski, and Kopecky contracts and give it to Tallon. I'm glad that Panthers fans are no longer on suicide watch, but I can't believe Jovo will be making 4 million in 2015.

Maloney is very deserving of a nomination, but we don't have the benefit of going from crappy team to playoff team. I do think Armstrong and Poille are deserving though. If it weren't for the Bryzgalov contract, I would maybe throw Holmgrem some love too.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post
Yeah, I don't see how you can look at that Upshall, Jovanovski, and Kopecky contracts and give it to Tallon. I'm glad that Panthers fans are no longer on suicide watch, but I can't believe Jovo will be making 4 million in 2015.

Maloney is very deserving of a nomination, but we don't have the benefit of going from crappy team to playoff team. I do think Armstrong and Poille are deserving though. If it weren't for the Bryzgalov contract, I would maybe throw Holmgrem some love too.
There are a number of worthy GMs, and Goalies and coaches for that matter. Tippett and Maloney have already been recognized. There is a natural bias to spread the joy. As for Smith, he is now on the map, so to speak. If he plays next year like he played this year, I expect that he will be nominated.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:42 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Tippett and Maloney are probably tops among their peers in terms of respect around the league. Total opposite of the Gretzky years. Hardware for them is great, but you'll have to excuse me if I am more worried about them potentially being poached by a bottomless wallet team.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:44 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

I should probably add on my earlier "nomination" bit that all the NHL awards, including the Vezina, have only a single round of voting where everyone is eligible. It's not like say the Academy Awards where there's an initial open voting round to choose the 5 finalists then a second round of voting to pick a winner from those final 5 candidates.

Old
04-25-2012, 08:57 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
This is only the 3rd season the award has been in existence and DM won the inaugural award. Like the coach of the year award voters just aren't going to vote multi-winners in a short span of seasons if they can help it.
Ah, I didn't realize that. But nonetheless, with the restrictions he has had to deal with, and the deals he has been able to pull off, it's quite incredible what he has done.

Old
04-25-2012, 09:04 PM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
He probably finished 4th or 5th.

Minor nit: players are not nominated for awards. The Vezina voting is already over and the winner decided. The league just reveals the top 3 vote getters as finalists and we have to wait until the winner is revealed in June.
Yeah I heard a discussion on it on the NHL sirius channel this morning. I can't really fault the top three and agree Smith should be up there in the top 4 or 5 and that the best award he can get this season that would overshadow the Vezina would be to hoist that Cup over his head because I think those of us who follow this team know he'd be a huge part of that accomplishment. Not like we're expecting to beat teams by scores of 10-8 on a regular basis.

yotesreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 03:57 PM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post

Tallon deserves it b/c Fla was so far under the cap at the beginning of FA, but he was smart about doing so. Bringin in a lot of players with playoff experience (betcha Chicago wants at least one of those players in place of who they had).

Actually, the one I may question more is STL, but he had great FAs from the goalies, and made the right move at the right time for Hitchcock.

GMDM's moves were probably around a top 5, but he may have fallen just short of the top 3.

Similarly, Smith was probably the next goalie up, as STL had great stats, but the split of time screwed the players (think of it like the two top Heisman trophy finalists are from the same region - each will steal votes from the other).

Back to Smith - he did well, but had some ugly games, too. His season really picked up later in the year, which is fine for making the playoffs, but some voters may not say he was consistent enough.

I do fully expect that Tippett will be in the final 3 for the Jack Adams, although Hitchcock will win it...

BUX7PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Wonder how many goalies had a .930 save pct but didnt make the top 3 in vezina..

Of regular starters only two had .930 or better this year and only two last year. In all of four years before that only 1 goalie managed it.. I didnt bother looking anymore.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote