Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Blackhawks fire Mike Haviland

Old
05-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
I'm not sure how it works in the NHL, but I know the NFL has pretty specific rules about interviewing for promotion vs. lateral moves. If it's interviewing an assistant for a head coaching position, there's a window where the assistant's team is obligated to give permission for an interview. If it's a lateral move, teams have no obligiation to give permission at any time to a coach under contract, even if it's for a more prestigious assistant job (ie. positional coach -> coordinator).

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I don't think he is a serious candidate for a head coaching position at this point, but his name has been out there, and it wasn't put out there by me. I could see him being interested in an Assistant position if it was offered. If you don't see the appeal of the Habs compared to the Jets, that's your opinion. I don't agree.

That a few writers implied that Vincent is a candidate for the head coaching position is evidence of nothing other than speculation on the part of those writers. Hey, the Habs might even ask permission to speak to him one day regarding the head coaching position. I also didn’t suggest it was put out by you. I also agree that he isn’t a serious candidate for a head coaching position at this point, as I said exactly that in my first post. I take no position as to whether or not a job with the Habs would have more appeal to him, contrary to your assertion, but rather, stated plainly that such consideration is moot; that assistant coaching job wouldn’t be offered. Teams don’t contact other teams to offer lateral movement, it doesn’t happen.

Quote:
My comment on you making a bigger deal of the situation was in your comment on him leaving being a "slap in the face". I don't think that TNSE would look at it that way, and in that context I believe that you are making it to be more than it is.
If he was to walk away from the Jets to a lateral job elsewhere a mere one year after receiving a huge first break into the NHL, it would certainly be seen by many others as displaying a lack of loyalty.

You seem to wish to pigeonhole the stating of my own opinion (one which runs contrary to your own) as “making a big deal of it”. I can assure you I’ve both listened to and considered your opinion regarding the matter. It seems pointless to suggest that Havilind is a candidate to replace a coach that is highly unlikely to leave the Jets during the summer of his own volition. Hey, I bet Larry Robinson would make a great replacement for Charlie Huddy if he left; both scenarios seem equally unlikely to occur however.

Cheers

(This was posted via a tablet; the font and formatting looks strange for some unknown reason)

Last edited by Gump Hasek: 05-10-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post

Hey, I bet Larry Robinson would make a great replacement for Charlie Huddy if he left; both scenarios seem equally unlikely to occur however.

Cheers

(This was posted via a tablet; the font and formatting looks strange for some unknown reason)
I would be totally fine with that.

Oops, looks like Robinson might be open to the Assistant job in Montreal:

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/05/09...oin-habs-staff

Last edited by Huffer: 05-10-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote