HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Thread 2012

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
He also left a gig in which he benched the superstar signed by the current owner for another 9 years at a 9.5 million cap hit. If it was Hunter or Ovechkin, who do you think the owner was going to choose? He was on borrowed time and he knew it. I think the family excuse was to not embarrass the organization. I don't think the Flyers have an ego and lazy defensive player like Ovie on this team. Plus Hunter is the anti-Laviolette; calm and defensive approach vs emotional and offensive hockey. They typically replace a coach with his opposite. Just per speculation on my part but seems to fit.
He took a temporary contract to begin with. It was known from the start that this was just a tryout period for him to see if he wanted to stick; it's been known from the start that he wasn't too keen on this whole NHL thing, especially considering the money he was making before. On top of that, the team generally did better with OV getting less ice time, so I doubt anyone minds too much. Hell, one of the big knocks on Bruce was that he was giving OV and Semin too much time while they were playing assy. One of the plusses with Hunter was that he held the stars accountable; listening to players and GMGM on the radio, they all agreed that Hunter left the team in better shape than when he arrived, and they say they learned a lot about hockey playing under him. It does truly sound more like Hunter made the choice on his own. I don't think the org pushed him out at all.

Leonsis has stated before that he prefers consistency. Hauling Hunter off on his own accord flies in the face of that. Leonsis likely would have preferred that he stay.

05-15-2012, 10:55 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Dont know if you all thought about this but it is conceivable that the Flyers could sign both Suter and Parise this summer. Holmgren said he expects the cap to go up to 69 mil. Flyers currently have 61 mil (real money is actually 55 mil) committed already next year to 20 players according to cap geek. So thats 8 million space. Add Pronger's 5 and that gives you 13. Parise and Suter both at 10 yrs 65 mil. For extra money you get 1.4 mil back bonus for Schenn, you could replace Shelley for cheaper, move Bob for cheaper, and also trade JVR to make room for cheaper Voracek. Pipe dream but possible to bring the friends together in Philly.

It's not that simple. Pronger remains on the salary cap over the summer. Walker and Bartulis will be on the cap as well.

Parise would be nice, but I will never get the obsession people have with chasing offensive stars when we have one of the top two offenses in the league.

Old
05-15-2012, 10:58 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
I don't think they move either of those. If I'm marleau I'm buying some big suitcases.

Love it if burns was available, but its probably Boyle who could be available...he's old, but still good...not a crease clearer though.
Murray and Clowe are both all but gone. Boyle is probably available, although he won't be shopped.

Burns isn't going anywhere. And neither is Marleau.

Old
05-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Murray and Clowe are both all but gone. Boyle is probably available, although he won't be shopped.

Clowe would be perfect for the Flyers. What would it take to get him?

Old
05-15-2012, 11:36 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 965
I'd prefer Clowe over Marleau anyways.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
05-15-2012, 11:37 PM
jfb392

Quote:

Boyle is appealing, but his cap hit is high and the cost to obtain him would likely also be.
He fills needs though, so what would it take?

Old
05-15-2012, 11:52 PM
DumpyD

Quote:

JVR for Clowe and Murray?

Or is everyone around here still crazy high on JVR?

Old
05-15-2012, 11:59 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpyD View Post

I would probably take that deal. I love JVR's game, but I'm starting to think he'll have a hard time staying healthy over a long career. He also hasn't come anywhere close to realizing his potential. Not saying he can't, he just hasn't shown it yet. I would think long and hard about something like that deal, especially if they hadn't given Grossmann an extension.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:33 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

Quote:

I would do that deal and I am a JVR fan.

Clowe on a line with Simmonds or Hartnell would drive teams insane.

EDIT: I am not sure SJ does the deal tho. I think they like Murray a lot out there.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:43 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I would do that deal and I am a JVR fan.

Clowe on a line with Simmonds or Hartnell would drive teams insane.

EDIT: I am not sure SJ does the deal tho. I think they like Murray a lot out there.
I don't think San Jose ever does that deal. In their position, I'm not sure they'd even do straight up JvR for Clowe.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:46 AM
DumpyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
I don't think San Jose ever does that deal. In their position, I'm not sure they'd even do straight up JvR for Clowe.
Well if the Sharks are practically pushing him out the door like their fans are leading you to believe, I don't know what they could expect in return. Especially if it's goal scoring they're after.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:48 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Well if the Sharks are practically pushing him out the door like their fans are leading you to believe, I don't know what they could expect in return. Especially if it's goal scoring they're after.
Oh OK, well I didn't think they were eager to get rid of him, but if that's the case, then I guess they might be willing to listen to such proposals. JvR would suit their needs, but I still think it's a very lopsided deal, if both Clowe and Murray would be included.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:50 AM
Devonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux 4 MVP View Post
How are you almost sure when we don't even have a CBA in place yet with rights and such
Well aside from that.....lets say that is figured out, we truly are a perfect match for Suter and we have a huge need for him here and he will be attracted to a team like ours that will be competing for the Cup for years to come.....

Old
05-16-2012, 12:55 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
probably not. even tho he had a down year this past season he can do a lot of things for you.
i would actually prefer to have Murray here, but again I dont know if SJ is looking to move him. I think they will look to move some other pieces first before Murray and Clowe IMO.

Old
05-16-2012, 01:09 AM
DumpyD

Quote:
probably not. even tho he had a down year this past season he can do a lot of things for you.
i would actually prefer to have Murray here, but again I dont know if SJ is looking to move him. I think they will look to move some other pieces first before Murray and Clowe IMO.
In the armchair gm world, sharks fans deemed a 2nd for Murray acceptable as well as a Kulemin for Clowe swap. I'd say the JvR value is pretty close.

Old
05-16-2012, 02:45 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

Quote:
In the armchair gm world, sharks fans deemed a 2nd for Murray acceptable as well as a Kulemin for Clowe swap. I'd say the JvR value is pretty close.
thought SJ fans had more value for Murray then that.

Old
05-16-2012, 03:32 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
thought SJ fans had more value for Murray then that.
Given that they could trade him for that at the deadline next year, I would imagine SJ would want more now.

Old
05-16-2012, 08:03 AM
BernieParent

Clowe would be a great addition, though I'm sure it will take much more than just JvR for him, no matter what the fan opinion of what the FO is doing. Clowe, though, would add another strong power forward to the team, and is undeniably a great bench presence.

Old
05-16-2012, 08:23 AM
feedingschennzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Clowe would be a great addition, though I'm sure it will take much more than just JvR for him, no matter what the fan opinion of what the FO is doing. Clowe, though, would add another strong power forward to the team, and is undeniably a great bench presence.

Isnt that what we got in talbot?

Old
05-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Giroux 4 MVP
Girøux #28

I doubt clowe and Murray for JVR would be accepted by SJ

Old
05-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Prongo
Beer

Here is what I would do during this offseason. Assuming the cap goes up to 69 million with a Bonus Cushion.

Let Carle walk
Let Jagr walk

-Resign Voracek- 5 years 19 million. Cap hit-3.8
-Resign MAB- 2 years 1.9 million. Cap hit-.950K

Free agency or trades now

-Sign Suter 13 years 76-83 million(Suter is looking for a long term contract-his last in the NHL) Cap hit would be between 6-6.4 million
-Kick the tires on Parise. See what he is wanting. If it is anything over 7 million cap hit I would think twice about it. If he was willing to take a 6-7 year deal for 40-45 million then maybe he could be a good fit.
-If Parise is not an option, go HARD for Rick Nash. I might be in the minority here, but Nash with Giroux for the next 5-10 years would be a treat to watch. JVR/Schenn, Bob and maybe a 2nd from next year for him. He is hard to judge(value wise) because it's almost a guarantee that he will be traded this offseason. Not really sure what a good trade for him would be honestly.
-Sign Biron to back up Bryz. He knows the team already and also is a team first guy. He will do what ever is needed for your team to win. He also can step in and carry the load for sometime if need be.
-Sign Jim Slater. Maybe a three year deal. 3 years - 3.6 million Cap hit-1.2 million.

I went the Rick Nash way a made a roster around that.

Quote:
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Danny Briere ($6.500m) / Jakub Voracek ($3.800m)
Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Eric Wellwood ($0.580m) / Jim Slater ($1.200m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Ryan Suter ($6.077m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m)
Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m) / Marc-Andre Bourdon ($0.950m)
Andreas Lilja ($0.738m) / Erik Gustafsson ($0.900m)
GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Martin Biron ($0.850m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,773,867; BONUSES: $2,705,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $931,133
This GM thing is pretty easy! I understand that this all most likely won't happen, but Homer has fooled us before so anything really is possible with him at the helm.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Here is what I would do during this offseason. Assuming the cap goes up to 69 million with a Bonus Cushion.

Let Carle walk
Let Jagr walk

-Resign Voracek- 5 years 19 million. Cap hit-3.8
-Resign MAB- 2 years 1.9 million. Cap hit-.950K

Free agency or trades now

-Sign Suter 13 years 76-83 million(Suter is looking for a long term contract-his last in the NHL) Cap hit would be between 6-6.4 million
-Kick the tires on Parise. See what he is wanting. If it is anything over 7 million cap hit I would think twice about it. If he was willing to take a 6-7 year deal for 40-45 million then maybe he could be a good fit.
-If Parise is not an option, go HARD for Rick Nash. I might be in the minority here, but Nash with Giroux for the next 5-10 years would be a treat to watch. JVR/Schenn, Bob and maybe a 2nd from next year for him. He is hard to judge(value wise) because it's almost a guarantee that he will be traded this offseason. Not really sure what a good trade for him would be honestly.
-Sign Biron to back up Bryz. He knows the team already and also is a team first guy. He will do what ever is needed for your team to win. He also can step in and carry the load for sometime if need be.
-Sign Jim Slater. Maybe a three year deal. 3 years - 3.6 million Cap hit-1.2 million.

I went the Rick Nash way a made a roster around that.

This GM thing is pretty easy! I understand that this all most likely won't happen, but Homer has fooled us before so anything really is possible with him at the helm.
Wouldn't that put us in some pretty deep doo-doo when Giroux, Schenn, and Couturier are all up for new contracts?

While you can make it work for next season, I think it is implausible , or at least unwise, to take one more than one long-term, big-money acquisition this year.

Also, I doubt JVR + BOB + 2nd would get Nash. Columbus was looking for Stepan / Krieder + McD / MDZ + prospect + 1st from NYR. It would take JVR + another young, roster player + 1st, I think, and that's too rich. IF you are going to move that package, you might as well call Poile, offer it to him for Weber, and let him resign Suter.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Giroux 4 MVP
Girøux #28

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Scott*Hartnell ($4.200m) / Claude*Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub*Voracek ($3.550m)
James*Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Brayden*Schenn ($3.110m) / Wayne*Simmonds ($1.750m)
Daniel*Paille ($1.775m) / Sean*Couturier ($1.375m) / Matt*Read ($0.900m)
Eric*Wellwood ($0.580m) / Paul*Gaustad ($2.800m) / Maxime*Talbot ($1.750m)
Zac*Rinaldo ($0.544m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan*Suter ($6.500m) / Nicklas*Grossmann ($3.500m)
Kimmo*Timonen ($6.333m) / Andrej*Meszaros ($4.000m)
Braydon*Coburn ($4.500m) / Luke*Schenn ($3.600m)
Andreas*Lilja ($0.738m)
GOALTENDERS
Ilya*Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Scott*Clemmensen ($1.200m)
------
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,371,944; BONUSES: $2,705,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,628,056

What's your guys thoughts about this?

Old
05-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux 4 MVP View Post
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Scott*Hartnell ($4.200m) / Claude*Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub*Voracek ($3.550m)
James*Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Brayden*Schenn ($3.110m) / Wayne*Simmonds ($1.750m)
Daniel*Paille ($1.775m) / Sean*Couturier ($1.375m) / Matt*Read ($0.900m)
Eric*Wellwood ($0.580m) / Paul*Gaustad ($2.800m) / Maxime*Talbot ($1.750m)
Zac*Rinaldo ($0.544m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan*Suter ($6.500m) / Nicklas*Grossmann ($3.500m)
Kimmo*Timonen ($6.333m) / Andrej*Meszaros ($4.000m)
Braydon*Coburn ($4.500m) / Luke*Schenn ($3.600m)
Andreas*Lilja ($0.738m)
GOALTENDERS
Ilya*Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Scott*Clemmensen ($1.200m)
------
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,371,944; BONUSES: $2,705,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,628,056

What's your guys thoughts about this?
I'm not sure Paille is worth that cap hit--but in theory, it is fine.

What are we using to acquire Schenn?

EDIT: Nevermind. Briere. Yeah, don't see that happening--he won't waive to go to Toronto, and I don't think he fits Burke's model of a center.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Giroux 4 MVP
Girøux #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
I'm not sure Paille is worth that cap hit--but in theory, it is fine.

What are we using to acquire Schenn?

EDIT: Nevermind. Briere. Yeah, don't see that happening--he won't waive to go to Toronto, and I don't think he fits Burke's model of a center.
Our first rounder

Closed Thread