HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Thread 2012

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2012, 08:35 PM
FlyersMania2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Here's an idea: how about letting a brand new line-up chock full of young, high-ceiling prospects gel a bit, grab a quality defensemen to bolster the back end, and go into a new season looking to build on a quality 2011-12?

No, not ADHD enough for Paul Holmgren? Sometimes I think he uses NHL 12 as his player database. Please just say no to Columbus.
Is it just Holmgren or the culture of this team? I don't like this constant big move stuff. But think back to Lindros, did that help create our identity? We gave the moon for him. At that point, the ceiling, nothing will be as big as that...right? Do we keep trying to reblockbuster ?

Old
06-12-2012, 08:36 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
This is sounding eerily similar to last year when Richards' name popped up...
Except Richards was gone within a half hour of his name being mentioned

Old
06-12-2012, 08:37 PM
YuioIklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Well, it's Johnson OR the 2nd overall. Not both. I think that's actually quite a good return for them.
I know, but it would still be a steal imo.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
I don't understand how spending pooploads of capspace on yet another forward when defense is a glaring issue is the best thing to do. More cap space used on forwards is less cap space available for defense.
Because he's the biggest name available. Why worry about needs when you can have unrealistic dreams of Nash scoring 50 goals a year on Giroux's wing?

Old
06-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Is it just Holmgren or the culture of this team? I don't like this constant big move stuff. But think back to Lindros, did that help create our identity? We gave the moon for him. At that point, the ceiling, nothing will be as big as that...right? Do we keep trying to reblockbuster ?
It isn't Holmgren. It is Snider. It is always Snider--particularly when it comes to grabbing headlines.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:40 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Publicly .....there were "insiders" throwing his name about in private msgs here one of which had to request a mod afterwards to clear all his posts....

Old
06-12-2012, 08:40 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
It isn't Holmgren. It is Snider. It is always Snider--particularly when it comes to grabbing headlines.
Agreed...I always say Snider. He's a business man. Big names, run and gun systems, etc all sell tickets. He wants to see another Flyers cup before he's too old to run this team and he will do whatever necessary

Old
06-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Quote:
Publicly .....there were "insiders" throwing his name about in private msgs here one of which had to request a mod afterwards to clear all his posts....
There was also Eskin and his report.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:42 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
There was also Eskin and his report.
Didn't Eklund break that trade? And no one believed him? Guy gets nine of ten rumors wrong so the one he had right, which seemed way outlandish, no listened to.

Boy who cried wolf

Old
06-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Didn't Eklund break that trade? And no one believed him? Guy gets nine of ten rumors wrong so the one he had right, which seemed way outlandish, no listened to.

Boy who cried wolf
I don't think so.

There was a poster--Renegade or something, who knew of a guy on another site that reported Carter and Richards were moving.

Eskin reported that the Flyers were open to trading one of them. I think Eklund said something similar.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:44 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Yeah yeah, I remember the whole thing. Some guy from the dobber boards and Renegade. Publicly is what I meant. Obviously the idea didn't just pop into Homer's head on the spot (or did it?).

Old
06-12-2012, 08:54 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
Also seems weird that this rumor guy is the only thing talking about anything. No major Philly writers are talking, no minor writers, no bloggers, no national writers, no Dreger, no McKenzie. If Rick Nash and JJ/2nd is going to PHI for JvR and a bunch of other decent stuff...twitter would be exploding right now.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:56 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Also seems weird that this rumor guy is the only thing talking about anything. No major Philly writers are talking, no minor writers, no bloggers, no national writers, no Dreger, no McKenzie. If Rick Nash and JJ/2nd is going to PHI for JvR and a bunch of other decent stuff...twitter would be exploding right now.
Yeah that's true for some of what you mention, but when have our own media not regurgitated Homet's statements about trades? Time will tell. Though I hate the waiting game

Old
06-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

I understand everyones concern with the needs at defense but the years FA market blows for that position. Suter isn't coming here IMO. From what I've read he has zero interest to be in Philly and there are about 10 other franchises competing for him. I see him going to Hockeytown now that the Lidstrom space is clear from retirement. I have zero interest in Nash if it requires either Couturier or Schenn going the other way. Bob, JVR, Read, 1st pick, are the items I would be willing to send not all of them for Nash straight up obviously.

Everyone expecting Suter or bust this offseason is going to be severely disappointed on July 1st. Honestly if they just grab a guy that can fill in Kubina's spot and without Timonen and Meszaros being injured all year long/full season of Grossmann, you would be surprised how successful this team can be. Then that being said if an amnesty clause is available assuming Pronger is done, why would you leave that much cap space unused?

Old
06-12-2012, 09:39 PM
Prongo
Beer

It seems like Dustin Leed thinks this rumor is BS. The only thing is i'm not sure how his "sources" are. I feel like just recently he started talking about his sources but could be wrong. If he does I have figured out his source is on twitter since he said his DM said "total BS". Or is their other social media places that have DM's that im not aware of?

Old
06-12-2012, 09:45 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
It seems like Dustin Leed thinks this rumor is BS. The only thing is i'm not sure how his "sources" are. I feel like just recently he started talking about his sources but could be wrong. If he does I have figured out his source is on twitter since he said his DM said "total BS". Or is their other social media places that have DM's that im not aware of?
Not trying to be a dick, but other than the first sentence... what?

Old
06-12-2012, 10:08 PM
LI Fly Guy

Quote:
Yeah yeah, I remember the whole thing. Some guy from the dobber boards and Renegade.
It was called Flyers offseason thread and man I wished I saved it before it got taken down. He called the entire offseason a few days after they got swept and then got flamed for next month and a half. Had it all. From richie and carter to bryz. Then after the trade happened he got into the pills and the coke and then it went haywire.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:19 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
If the Flyers want the 2nd overall pick in a trade for Nash and Johnson I am sure they would have to throw Couts in the deal.

Mez/Bob/JVR/1st for Nash/Johnson/2nd rounder I would love to see.

If you want the 2nd overall pick. Couts would have to be involved along with the others. I personally don't feel like getting rid of our best defensive forward again this off season.....

Old
06-12-2012, 10:30 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Just throwing this out there, but Columbus was supposedly asking for 3 of Kreider/Dubinsky/DelZotto/Stepan AND a first just for Nash. JvR/bob/1st will not get Nash let alone Nash+.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:30 PM
sauce9397

How about Schenn instead of Couts. If we could somehow land Nash/JJ/2nd overall for JVR/Schenn/Mez/Bob/1st I would be all for it.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:31 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Just throwing this out there, but Columbus was supposedly asking for 3 of Kreider/Dubinsky/DelZotto/Stepan AND a first just for Nash. JvR/bob/1st will not get Nash let alone Nash+.
His value isn't that of a trade deadline acquisition.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:35 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
That isn't true. I mean, Columbus might have wanted that, but it was never considered.

In truth, Dubinksky was a given, and Columbus wanted _one_ of Kreider, Stepan, and MDZ, plus picks and prospects. NYR refused to give up any of them--the final offer, IIRC, was Dubinsky, Christian Thomas, J. T. Miller, and a 1st. (It might have been Erixon instead of Miller).

Old
06-12-2012, 10:36 PM
flyershockey

This is reaching NHL 2012 levels. I'm really starting to think Homer is Snider's puppet. From a pure need perspective, this trade would cripple the Flyers ability to become competitive. They would have a couple of young superstars, one mid-prime star, and an aging defense. Oh yeah, and Bryz is still a headcase that hasn't proven that he can survive in this market.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:43 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
Charlie O'Conner and Tyler Altemose (two Flyers writers/bloggers) said these rumors should be completely thrown out solely because Briere's name was included.

They're likely correct. I can't even see Couturier being traded after he shut the (likely) NHL MVP down in the playoffs. Homer isn't THAT stupid

Old
06-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Schenn10

There's no way Rick Nash is going to get that large of a return, Howson admitted he wanted out of Columbus at the last trade deadline, he must be traded by Columbus this offseason NHL GMs know this...

Closed Thread