HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Thread 2012

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2012, 05:38 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain richie18 View Post
I also came across this on twitter this philly guy has A LOT of followers 100k about so i figured some of you people must follow him. Take it for what its worth

@ManayunkMike: From a SOURCE: #Flyers going hard after #Nash, however, another team has jumped in and made a bid. Prolonging a finalized deal.

@ManayunkMike: Additionally, #Nash has agreed to waive NTC/NMC to come to Philadelphia. Like I said, talks ongoing. #Flyers

When i read the rest of his tweets he suggested JVR (obviously) bob and mez were mentioned as going back to CLB
Rangers are going to go after Nash too, especially if Parise isn't heading there. Also sounds like Radulov is almost a sure thing to end up in NY...maybe they'll kick the tires on Nash again before Radulov?

Old
06-13-2012, 05:40 PM
flyersfan187

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
I also came across this on twitter this philly guy has A LOT of followers 100k about so i figured some of you people must follow him. Take it for what its worth

@ManayunkMike: From a SOURCE: #Flyers going hard after #Nash, however, another team has jumped in and made a bid. Prolonging a finalized deal.

@ManayunkMike: Additionally, #Nash has agreed to waive NTC/NMC to come to Philadelphia. Like I said, talks ongoing. #Flyers

When i read the rest of his tweets he suggested JVR (obviously) bob and mez were mentioned as going back to CLB
I would much rather get rid of Bob and Mez then Read. Mez is a salary dump and Bob has the potential to be a great goalie in the league on the right team. The Rangers are probably the team to jump in and Nash agreeing to waive his no trade clause to get off of Columbus to be on the Flyers? Surprising

Old
06-13-2012, 05:47 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Who is this Tweeter? Reliable?

Old
06-13-2012, 05:47 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
I would much rather get rid of Bob and Mez then Read. Mez is a salary dump and Bob has the potential to be a great goalie in the league on the right team. The Rangers are probably the team to jump in and Nash agreeing to waive his no trade clause to get off of Columbus to be on the Flyers? Surprising
I dont want to include any of our roster defensemen in a trade for nash or any forward. We need our defensemen and trading mez as apart of nash makes our d even worse than it is

Old
06-13-2012, 06:19 PM
JVR21
G

JVR, Mez, and Bob? I wouldn't mind that at all.

Old
06-13-2012, 06:36 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
JVR, Mez, and Bob? I wouldn't mind that at all.
Yeah, if they could swing that, sign Carle to something like $4.25M, get Jagr to sign at a discount, and draft someone like Keokeoke or Maata, I would label this offseason a success. In other words, if they don't have to give up their first in this alleged deal, I would be excited. If they did, I would really have to see how Nash gels with Giroux before making any kind of call.

Old
06-13-2012, 06:40 PM
phillyflyerfan1992
@ahthorne

I'd ask for Nash+Moore/Savard if we end up giving them a roster defensemen. I legitimately see Rick Nash coming to Philadelphia, no guarantees but a pretty good gut-feeling.

JVR+Bobrovsky+Meszaros +1st(20th)?
for
Nash +Savard?

R. Nash - C. Giroux - J. Voracek
S. Hartnell - D. Briere - J. Jagr (bad defensively... but good offense!)
B. Schenn - S. Couturier - W. Simmonds
E. Wellwood - M. Talbot - M. Read

Give the 1st line and the two checking lines a lot of the even strength time, while limiting our 2nd lines even strength time. Give Jagr mostly PP time, maybe around 12-14 minutes a game if not less. Give Nash and Giroux 20mins a game and then give out the rest fairly evenly from Hartnell to Schenn. Couts/Talbot/Read/Giroux/Nash/Schenn/Wellwood/Voracek can all kill penalties.

Such a good forward core. We could easily give up another forward (Schenn/Voracek) and grab a top-4 defensemen with some upside. Sayyy trading Schenn for Bogosian/Subban/Gudbranson/etc.

Carle, Coburn, Grossmann and whoever else we get (obviously another top-4 guy, preferably a puck mover) can come in play the majority of the even strength time. Kimmo sticks to special teams, and our young #6 can play the "Martinez/Tanev/etc." role with the team. It worked in the past even with a defense that has no legitimate #1 guy. Timonen is still a very good #2. Carle & Coburn are top-4. Grossmann is a shutdown/defensive top-6, like Polak/Greene/etc. We definitely need to add a piece, however, and that piece should be just as a good as Carle/Coburn. Meszaros is getting overrated it seems, as he's good and probably top-4 but he's shaky and is another left hander. It could be better to move his salary and find a young RH defensmen (Blum or the above mentioned guys). Timonen frees up $6.33mil next year which we can then use to grab someone like Enstrom who I feel would fit in as a perfect Timonen replacement. As for this year, maybe its best to wait until the deadline to grab someone legitimate (Enstrom!) and stick with a placeholder for the time being...

Ugh. Offseason sucks.

Old
06-13-2012, 07:06 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
I dont want to include any of our roster defensemen in a trade for nash or any forward. We need our defensemen and trading mez as apart of nash makes our d even worse than it is
We're paying Mez $4m/y to be our 5th defenseman. For whatever reason, he doesn't really seem comfortable anywhere else. He can have reall good games, or really bad games. He has games where he's fantastic offensively, or fantastic defensively, or fantastic physically. Not I've never really see them all in the same game.

I like Mez a lot, but I'd be very comfortable moving his cap hit as a part of a Nash deal. I REALLY don't think Bourdon is too far off of Mez's ability, for over $3m less.

Old
06-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

JVR + Mez alone is more than Nash's salary

It's a hefty contract, no doubt, but moving those two alone creates the space to have him from a purely math standpoint.

Old
06-13-2012, 07:20 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Who is this Tweeter? Reliable?
Never heard of these guys before the last two pages in here. He's friends with the starter of the rumors from yesterday.

These are within the last hour...
******* ******** ‏@***************
On the #Flyers: Looks like JJ is very tough to pry out of #CBJ so it might be only Nash to PHI. Negotiations still ongoing.

If the deal does go down, JVR is almost 100% to be involved. Like I said at trade deadline, #Flyers have been trying to move him for a while

JVR's injury has been a problem but my bet is Nash deal or not he will go before next season. #Flyers Hearing #CBJ really high on Couturier.

Another option for the #Flyers would be trading JVR in order to move up in the draft. I can confirm that they are def. trying to do that.

One last thing on #Flyers, Carle signing will be announced closer to free agency day (June 30 or July1) instead of this week. #DoneDeal tho

Will keep a close eye on #Flyers developments, so follow me and my buddy @ManayunkMike for updates! Also @D_LEED a good PHI follow!

Old
06-13-2012, 07:23 PM
hockeyfreak7

Whether you agree with the team's decisions or not, there is never a shortage of suspense when you're a Flyers fan

I wonder how boring the off season must be for every other team...

Old
06-13-2012, 07:25 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Couturier being traded would be disgusting

Old
06-13-2012, 07:31 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
If Couturier gets traded I will get a Penguins tatoo on my forehead. Thats how sure I am that it wont happen.

Old
06-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseGolfCarts View Post
Couturier being traded would be disgusting
It's not going to happen. It can't. They finally found the right guy -- who's only 19 years old -- to match up with Malkin, and they're going to trade him after one season? I'll turn in my fan card. Seriously. Unless someone like Shea Weber is coming back in return.

Old
06-13-2012, 07:32 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

I see no reason or chance that they would trade Couturier. Holmgren doesn't like trading away the players he robbed from other GMs (see: Coburn). The fact that he said CBJ is high on Couturier is redundant. Everyone is high on Couts...he shut Malkin down in the playoffs at 19 years old.

Howson has no leverage to get Couts. He burned a bridge with Nash, and there's no way he's a Jacket by the start of the season. JvR, Mez, Bob should be all we give up.

Old
06-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Schenn10

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
If Couturier gets traded I will get a Penguins tatoo on my forehead. Thats how sure I am that it wont happen.
Agreed. Snider's end of season comments were pretty telling, he loves the kid and there is no way he is traded.

Old
06-13-2012, 07:46 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
We're paying Mez $4m/y to be our 5th defenseman. For whatever reason, he doesn't really seem comfortable anywhere else. He can have reall good games, or really bad games. He has games where he's fantastic offensively, or fantastic defensively, or fantastic physically. Not I've never really see them all in the same game.

I like Mez a lot, but I'd be very comfortable moving his cap hit as a part of a Nash deal. I REALLY don't think Bourdon is too far off of Mez's ability, for over $3m less.
Exactly. Bourdon and Mez are similar and Bourdon is a lot cheaper. For all the crap Carle gets from the fans Mez was much worse this season and last then Carle and Mez plays against weaker competition. Mez can throw his body around at there though which I love to see as long as it doesn't give up an odd man rush.

Old
06-13-2012, 07:48 PM
flyersfan187

I am sure the Flyers are just trying to get JJ from Columbus and they are probably saying the only reason that happens is if the Flyers give up Couts.

Old
06-13-2012, 07:52 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Exactly. Bourdon and Mez are similar and Bourdon is a lot cheaper. For all the crap Carle gets from the fans Mez was much worse this season and last then Carle and Mez plays against weaker competition. Mez can throw his body around at there though which I love to see as long as it doesn't give up an odd man rush.
Honestly, after last season Meszaros has been a significant disappointment.

I'm not sold that Bourdon can be that guy yet, and thus I am concerned that should we move Meszaros we're just moving backwards defensively.

How do we solve moving backwards defensively? Signing Suter, which we pretty much all know is not going to happen.

So who solves the problem for us? Jackman? I don't know.

Old
06-13-2012, 07:53 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
I am sure the Flyers are just trying to get JJ from Columbus and they are probably saying the only reason that happens is if the Flyers give up Couts.
I'd rather have the 2nd over JJ to begin with. We didn't want JJ this season at the deadline for less than Couturier. The fanbase would literally riot if we got JJ for Couturier.

Old
06-13-2012, 07:55 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I'd rather have the 2nd over JJ to begin with. We didn't want JJ this season at the deadline for less than Couturier. The fanbase would literally riot if we got JJ for Couturier.
I'm starting to warm up to JVR + Meszaros + Bobrovsky for Nash honestly. There is nothing guaranteed in this game, but if the Flyers feel confident that JVR will not reach Nash, then that's their call.

However, I'd be reluctant to give up a 1st in that deal, and I'd like Nash + 2nd in return, even if we have to add a 3rd to JVR + MEZ + BOB.

Then pray one of those top 16 defensemen fall to CBJ's 2nd.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:01 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Honestly, after last season Meszaros has been a significant disappointment.

I'm not sold that Bourdon can be that guy yet, and thus I am concerned that should we move Meszaros we're just moving backwards defensively.

How do we solve moving backwards defensively? Signing Suter, which we pretty much all know is not going to happen.

So who solves the problem for us? Jackman? I don't know.
I'd still be comfortable with leaving two slots open for the kids (Manning, Gus, Bourdon). Bourdon def isn't to Mez's skillset yet (he lacks the offensive explosiveness), but defensively and physically he's very similar. But if we deal Mez away for Nash/whatever, I think Jackman is a suitable replacement.

Coburn - Grossman
Timonen - Gustafsson
Carle - Bourdon
Lilja/Manning

Old
06-13-2012, 08:03 PM
Appleyard

If Couts is traded... damn, I would say something about getting a tatoo... or painting my house in Rangers colour, or whatever.

But the fact is that if he is, it is unlikely I would be alive to do any of those things, as I would have died due to cardiac arrest from emotional stress.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:04 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I'm starting to warm up to JVR + Meszaros + Bobrovsky for Nash honestly. There is nothing guaranteed in this game, but if the Flyers feel confident that JVR will not reach Nash, then that's their call.

However, I'd be reluctant to give up a 1st in that deal, and I'd like Nash + 2nd in return, even if we have to add a 3rd to JVR + MEZ + BOB.

Then pray one of those top 16 defensemen fall to CBJ's 2nd.
I agree, but I also think we'd try to trade up....I'm just worried about what we'd trade with JvR/Mez/Bob gone. 20th overall and Read?

Does Thrower fall in your top 16? Unless Finn or Skjei falls that far, I'd hope Thrower is there. CBJ's 2nd is the 31st overall, so not too many picks past our own. A haul of Koekkoek and Thrower at the draft would make me VERY happy, then pray Hyka falls to the 3rd.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:17 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I agree, but I also think we'd try to trade up....I'm just worried about what we'd trade with JvR/Mez/Bob gone. 20th overall and Read?

Does Thrower fall in your top 16? Unless Finn or Skjei falls that far, I'd hope Thrower is there. CBJ's 2nd is the 31st overall, so not too many picks past our own. A haul of Koekkoek and Thrower at the draft would make me VERY happy, then pray Hyka falls to the 3rd.
In no particular order...

-Murray
-Reinhart
-Trouba
-Dumba
-Reilly
-Ceci
-Maatta
-Lindholm
-Bystrom
-Koekkoek
-Finn
-Skjei
-Pouliot
-Pokka
-(Thrower)
-(Lindell)

I think it's possible that if we get the 31st overall we could be looking at something like Finn/Skjei/Maatta/Lindholm/Koekkoek/Bystrom/Pouliot and then also a Thrower/Lindell/Pokka as our haul for the first two rounds.

We could conceivably get Hyka with the 3rd.

So...

Nash + 2nd
for
JVR + MEZ + BOB

Draft Koekkoek and then pick up a guy like Ville Pokka? Get Hyka with a 3rd? Nab Richard Ullberg in a late round.

Sold.

Then go after Jackman on the market I guess.

Then again, in that scenario (and without giving up Read), could we move into the top 15 by packaging 20th and 31st? Go hard after Ceci, Maatta, Trouba, Dumba, or even Griffin "Pipedream" Reinhart?

There's a lot of options on the table involving a Nash trade where we kill two birds with one stone.

Last edited by CS: 06-13-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Closed Thread