HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

ECSF Game 6: Rangers @ Caps. 7:30pm. VC. 5.9.2012 (Return of the Ward Thread)

Old
05-09-2012, 10:36 PM
tycoonheart

vCash: 500
And doing a nosedive.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:38 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Btw Halpy didn't look too good out there today.
and the 4-min penalty didn't help.

i thought he looked all right. he's a hell of a lot stronger along the boards than Coiner anyway. too bad he was replacing 83 not 23. but kudos to 23 for working his a$$ off at the end of the game and chasing that D-man all around the offensive zone. i loved the hustle.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:38 PM
amjay13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Failed so hard (in the regular season) they had more points per game than under Hunter...
yes, because that's what important, regular season points per game

when the caps win game 7, that will put an end to the coaching debate

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:40 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
yes, because that's what important, regular season points per game

when the caps win game 7, that will put an end to the coaching debate
You said he failed. It got him fired. He did better than Hunter in the reg season, who knows what he would've done in the playoffs? That's the point.

If BB failed in the regular season, then so did Hunter. And if Hunter failed in the reg season and isn't in the playoffs...

Surely you must understand where this is going...

05-09-2012, 10:41 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
He looked better than Aucoin and worse than Beagle. I don't think anyone ever predicted anything more than that.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:42 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Here's how any reasonable person should look at the Boudreau/Hunter situation:

-Boudreau was a flawed (but good) coach who did some great things with the organization with far-from-perfect personnel groupings. With a little more luck, his teams could have gone further in the playoffs. Despite the revisionist history, his teams did show a ton of mental fortitude and resilience. Like with just about all NHL coaches, his message seemingly got stale in the locker room and it was time to move on.

-Hunter is a flawed coach who is doing some great things in these playoffs with a far-from-perfect personnel grouping. His team has shown some excellent mental toughness and with a little more luck, can get far in the playoffs. It remains to be seen whether this success is repeatable and/or sustainable.

-Comparing the two is a fool's errand, since they never went to the playoffs with the same personnel.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:44 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
It's tough to be sharp when you don't see game action for 2 months.

Old
05-09-2012, 10:45 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

I was making dinner after the game and had a notion about DH's use of Ovie...

Maybe the issue is less about Ovie and more about the fact that McPhee has built a team with only 1 competent playmaking centerman.

Dale recognizes that Ovie can take over a shift by himself, so he's decided to play Nicky with 28 an 25. That line is working, but the consequence is that Ovie's out there with third liners.

So, knowing that his linemates can't really set him up or finish a pass, Dale knows it's all 8 or nothing for that line. As a result the coaches are using him more sparingly, and trying to manipulate the match-ups to put him in situations to be a one-man show.

It's just a theory. But the lack of quality linemates for Ovie was so glaring tonight, even as he was dominant, that it got me thinking.

Flame away...

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
amjay13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Here's how any reasonable person should look at the Boudreau/Hunter situation:

-Boudreau was a flawed (but good) coach who did some great things with the organization with far-from-perfect personnel groupings. With a little more luck, his teams could have gone further in the playoffs. Despite the revisionist history, his teams did show a ton of mental fortitude and resilience. Like with just about all NHL coaches, his message seemingly got stale in the locker room and it was time to move on.

-Hunter is a flawed coach who is doing some great things in these playoffs with a far-from-perfect personnel grouping. His team has shown some excellent mental toughness and with a little more luck, can get far in the playoffs. It remains to be seen whether this success is repeatable and/or sustainable.

-Comparing the two is a fool's errand, since they never went to the playoffs with the same personnel.
i very much appreciate bb and what he did for the organization however i don't think they were winning a cup under him. time will tell (saturday) if hunter was the right hire. i'd think this is the stance most on this board take. bb was great but a change was needed.

Old
The 29th Pick
The 30th Pick

Nice win boys.....I told ya to win one at a time, now go get em in game 7

The 29th Pick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:47 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
I thought Halpy did ok. Dale called his game strong, the double accidental. Classic Dale, lies or not.

I liked that we sold hard Beagle WILL play

If the Rags won games this year by blocking shots, they may struggle to find themselves when they only get 6.

Stop coaching Pat. Sucked. Kills you. it sucked. Outta here.

Who am I.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Icetime

I find it amusing that those of us who thought BB was a subpar coach.. you know.... the ones that took such a relentless beating from the mob have now become mere children who should just forget the past as if it never happened.

Maybe the lesson learned should actually be that the opinions of the minority need to be respected because sometimes the majority doesn't know what the heck they are talking about.

Why would we ever want to brush the actual facts of the heated debate under the rug?

So nothing really changes?

No freakin way.

Icetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:51 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
i very much appreciate bb and what he did for the organization however i don't think they were winning a cup under him. time will tell (saturday) if hunter was the right hire. i'd think this is the stance most on this board take. bb was great but a change was needed.
Such a silly statement. With a real goalie and better defense, who knows?

Old
05-09-2012, 10:51 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

I'm happy for you bro.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:52 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post

Maybe the issue is less about Ovie and more about the fact that McPhee has built a team with only 1 competent playmaking centerman.

Dale recognizes that Ovie can take over a shift by himself, so he's decided to play Nicky with 28 an 25. That line is working, but the consequence is that Ovie's out there with third liners.

So, knowing that his linemates can't really set him up or finish a pass, Dale knows it's all 8 or nothing for that line. As a result the coaches are using him more sparingly, and trying to manipulate the match-ups to put him in situations to be a one-man show.

It's just a theory. But the lack of quality linemates for Ovie was so glaring tonight, even as he was dominant, that it got me thinking.

Flame away...
I didn't have a problem with Dale's usage of 8 tonight. I'd like to see a few SOB shifts (for instance, on offensive zone starts with Bickel out there), but that's nitpicking.

Old
05-09-2012, 10:54 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Such a silly statement. With a real goalie and better defense, who knows?
To have a real defense we had to sacrifice a lot of the Offense from our powerhouse days.

Both isn't an option anymore, for any teams.

Another thing to note, our bottom 6 is way better right now than ever under Bruce.

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post

Flame away...

Sounds right.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:56 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

CCF good stuff on Ovi. I called it the sacrifice bunt against Boston. Throw Ovi to the wolves, heck the clincher, even give them our worst faceoff guy. MJ icing on the cake perhaps

I thought it set our second line to win or lose games for us, but as it turned out, its been more 3 and 4.

But you are right, Ovi is Ovi and got his name is this league being himself. He is the same guy, only he plays in a system now. Attack attack attack rings hollow. There is more to hockey.

Chimera said it tonight, we probably gave up that goal because we were up 2.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:02 PM
amjay13

if i recall correctly, semin has 1 point in 6 games this series. game 7 would be a great time for him to make a bigger dent in the score sheet.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Duke33

Quote:
They went 7 games with the Penguins who went on to win the Cup, and Crosby himself said the Caps were the toughest team they faced on the way. It's ridiculous to keep comparing, and I like aspects of both coaches. Loved Boudreau's offense but hated allowing 4 goals a game. I love Hunter's defense but hate having to win or lose by one basically every time on some lucky bounce.

If they lose Saturday then they'd have advanced no farther than the furthest they got with BB. The boards will be fun to watch then.

Great win though tonight. I keep predicting a 3-0 win for us each game and thought tonight would be it.

Duke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
if i recall correctly, semin has 1 point in 6 games this series. game 7 would be a great time for him to make a bigger dent in the score sheet.
He didn't get an assist but he did the bulk of the work on the Chimera goal.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:08 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Coaching in the playoffs isn't luck.

Not using goalies wisely is not luck. Using mummies instead of healthy depth is not luck. Remaining calm is not luck. Blocking 4x as many shots is not luck.

Throwing together a stud checking line, like Ward Hendy Brow and matching them up on 1 was not luck.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:10 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

The Caps literally advanced out of the first round by a skate blade. Rationalize that however you want, but most of us have been admitting for years that you need some lucky bounces to win in the playoffs. We just never got them before.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Atlas

Quote:

Agreed. But only if he does it by keeping to the team's plan. I don't want the team going out of their way to set him up just because he's due.

I'm interested to see his game on Sat. He can score, or at least give the Rangers' D pain attacks. But no penalties.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:15 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote