HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

ECSF Game 6: Rangers @ Caps. 7:30pm. VC. 5.9.2012 (Return of the Ward Thread)

Old
05-09-2012, 11:16 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Ovi, a paltry 15 TOI in a 2-1 game, scored a goal, 5 hits, 3BS

we won...

Same output in half the time?

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:19 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Coaching in the playoffs isn't luck.

Not using goalies wisely is not luck. Using mummies instead of healthy depth is not luck. Remaining calm is not luck. Blocking 4x as many shots is not luck.

Throwing together a stud checking line, like Ward Hendy Brow and matching them up on 1 was not luck.
Thank You

Mr Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:21 PM
EHCler

vCash: 500
Great and well deserved win. AO on fire.

Another performance like this and game 7 will be the Caps.

EHCler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:22 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Wait! I was at the game tonight. I know the Capitals won the game tonight. Yet looking at this thread I see folks chirping about who's the better Coach, Hunter or Boudreau or Goalkeeper, Holtby or Varlamov. You think just once that some here would take the night off and just enjoy this team's current success.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
The Caps literally advanced out of the first round by a skate blade. Rationalize that however you want, but most of us have been admitting for years that you need some lucky bounces to win in the playoffs. We just never got them before.
Callahan literally deflected what probably was going to be a harmless shot past Lundqvist in Game 7 of 2009. Not like the Caps needed any help though because Boudreau had them scoring so many goals in that game.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Stewie G

Quote:

we won...

Same output in half the time?
Perhaps he'd have twice the output if given twice as many minutes and the series would be over already.

:mind blown :

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:24 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Wait! I was at the game tonight. I know the Capitals won the game tonight. Yet looking at this thread I see folks chirping about who's the better Coach, Hunter or Boudreau or Goalkeeper, Holtby or Varlamov. You think just once that some here would take the night off and just enjoy this team's current success.
You can thank the Anti-Boudreau trolls for that.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:29 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:

we won...

Plus 1 crossbar, 1 sweet dish which 90 failed to convert, and 1 SOG while doing 360 on his a$$. The guy played like Rocket Richard tonite.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:33 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Here's how any reasonable person should look at the Boudreau/Hunter situation:

-Boudreau was a flawed (but good) coach who did some great things with the organization with far-from-perfect personnel groupings. With a little more luck, his teams could have gone further in the playoffs. Despite the revisionist history, his teams did show a ton of mental fortitude and resilience. Like with just about all NHL coaches, his message seemingly got stale in the locker room and it was time to move on.

-Hunter is a flawed coach who is doing some great things in these playoffs with a far-from-perfect personnel grouping. His team has shown some excellent mental toughness and with a little more luck, can get far in the playoffs. It remains to be seen whether this success is repeatable and/or sustainable.

-Comparing the two is a fool's errand, since they never went to the playoffs with the same personnel.
I agree with a lot of that -- the personnel on defense is significantly better than under BB, and I have to think that just having Alzner+Carlson would ve been enough to advance past the Pens and Canadiens. GMGM also handicapped BB more with Nylander/Theodore fiascos that left no space to sign players that would've been useful.

On the other hand -- I can't help but feel that Hunter's style is more effective overall (sad but true). For example under BB against Tampa, the team just looked completely clueless.. this version of the team looks like it will take anybody 6 or 7 games to beat them.

So my feeling is -- yeah, it's quite possible BB could've won or at least made it to the finals in those years if he had basically the current personnel.. But in the long run, I think Hunter's system is more effective. I don't like watching 82 games of it, and I certainly don't think Hunter is perfect, but there are aspects he seems pretty good at, so.. assuming he'd want to come back, the Caps better have a real strong coach in mind if they chose to replace him.

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Boudreau is a coach in Anaheim right now.
Who gives a **** about what he did while here? Both sides of the argument are stupid and unnecessary.

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
amjay13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
The Caps literally advanced out of the first round by a skate blade. Rationalize that however you want, but most of us have been admitting for years that you need some lucky bounces to win in the playoffs. We just never got them before.
lol, seriously? that was the downfall of one BB? bad luck? c'mon man, you are knowledgable.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Icetime

Quote:
I kind of prefer Anti-Arrogant Overbearing Posters Crew

But I guess we probably don't see eye to eye on that.

Icetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:34 PM
amjay13

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
I agree with a lot of that -- the personnel on defense is significantly better than under BB, and I have to think that just having Alzner+Carlson would ve been enough to advance past the Pens and Canadiens. GMGM also handicapped BB more with Nylander/Theodore fiascos that left no space to sign players that would've been useful.

On the other hand -- I can't help but feel that Hunter's style is more effective overall (sad but true). For example under BB against Tampa, the team just looked completely clueless.. this version of the team looks like it will take anybody 6 or 7 games to beat them.

So my feeling is -- yeah, it's quite possible BB could've won or at least made it to the finals in those years if he had basically the current personnel.. But in the long run, I think Hunter's system is more effective. I don't like watching 82 games of it, and I certainly don't think Hunter is perfect, but there are aspects he seems pretty good at, so.. assuming he'd want to come back, the Caps better have a real strong coach in mind if they chose to replace him.
very well put

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:35 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
lol, seriously? that was the downfall of one BB? bad luck? c'mon man, you are knowledgable.
Dude...in the playoffs, every goal matters. Heck, just look at goalie interference calls. You need breaks.

05-09-2012, 11:36 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
Yes. That and being too good in the regular season.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:41 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I mean, look at Boston last year: They went from having the worst collapse in the history of the postseason to a string of good luck to the Cup.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:56 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
Carlson played the entire Montreal series and Alzner only got called up for Game 7 when Poti got hurt. He and Erskine were available too for Games 4 and 5 when ShaMo got hurt when Tyler Sloan was the chosen replacement.

Old
05-10-2012, 12:02 AM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Carlson played the entire Montreal series and Alzner only got called up for Game 7 when Poti got hurt. He and Erskine were available too for Games 4 and 5 when ShaMo got hurt when Tyler Sloan was the chosen replacement.
Not (nearly) the same players as now.

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:34 AM
sycamore

Question: have we pretty much out played the Rangers this series?

Game 1: Rangers dominant
Game 2: Caps dominant
Game 3: Caps dominant, but Lundquist outstanding; countless chances to win it in OT, ran out of steam by OT 3
Game 4: Caps dominant
Game 5: Caps dominant, but incredibly foolish/unlucky
Game 6: Caps dominant

So really, if not for 1) far more penalties called on the Caps (most of which were their fault, no doubt, but the refs have also been heavily interventionist this series) and 2) Lundquist being razor sharp in a couple of games, we have for the most part outplayed the Rangers, and should have closed out this series a couple of games ago.

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:59 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

just got in. had to listen to the game on radio on my iphone. Walton is great at PBP and glad we forced a game seven. didnt see much of the game so cant give much insight but you got to love how this team doesnt quit when the going gets tough like past caps teams

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:59 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Here's the Rags' goal:

Compare that to the Ovechkin goal waved off in game 7 against Montreal. Ridiculous.

Old
05-10-2012, 02:32 AM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
Question: have we pretty much out played the Rangers this series?

Game 1: Rangers dominant
Game 2: Caps dominant
Game 3: Caps dominant, but Lundquist outstanding; countless chances to win it in OT, ran out of steam by OT 3
Game 4: Caps dominant
Game 5: Caps dominant, but incredibly foolish/unlucky
Game 6: Caps dominant
I don't think we were dominant in game 5 by any stretch Yes, we blew a lead at the very end, but i thought we were lucky to have that lead in first place. I thought NYR dominated us in periods 1 and 2, no question.

Also, we were very fortunate with the sequence of calls and non-calls at the end of game 4. The non-call on the slash against boyle, the subsequent call on similar play against carlson, the non-call on the borderline trip(/dive) of callahan as he tried to clear the zone on PK, and then the blown call on knuble flicking the puck over the glass. We got lucky on those calls, pure and simple.

Old
05-10-2012, 02:38 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Here's the Rags' goal:

Compare that to the Ovechkin goal waved off in game 7 against Montreal. Ridiculous.
No one cares but you.

Old
05-10-2012, 03:12 AM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Here's the Rags' goal:

Well, the good news is, we won anyway. And now maybe the refs will be looking out for it. (Though that means Knuble better watch his a$$, too.)

Old
05-10-2012, 03:14 AM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

I would personally enjoy a Game 7 in which we don't take a 4-minute penalty for high sticking.

I would also enjoy getting the first goal of the game.

I am happy we are still alive. I was crushed after the Game 5 debacle.