HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Where does Swiss rank in international tournaments?

Old
05-19-2012, 05:49 PM
TollefsenFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by isuldor View Post
Combined standings of the 2000-2010 World Championships:
http://planestranger.files.wordpress...rld_champs.gif

So, :
1. Czech Republic
2. Canada
3. Sweden
4. Russia
5. Finland
6. Slovakia
7. Usa
8. Switzerland

Best team in last 19 years is Czech Republic. (I'm counting just 19 years, bcs before they were Czechoslovakia)
They were 7x in final match and 6x they won it. (2x against Canada and Finland, 1x against Russia and Slovakia)

This year:
1. Russia
2. Canada
3. Sweden/Finland
4. Czech R.
5. Slovakia/USA/Switzerland (we will see later)
6. Latvia
7. Norway/Germany/Belarus

This ranking looks intresting Germany and Norway are both ranked as number 7 hmmmmmm

TollefsenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 02:00 AM
begbeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
And I don't know why it's mostly Slovakian fans that seem to be offended by this topic. Maybe because it's the nation that feels the breath in it's neck from nations like Switzerland, Norway or Latvia the most? I'd say that's hard thruth too...

And to answer the question in the thread title: While we have overachieved with a fifth place recently, we have underachieved with a ninth place this year. Truth lies in between, I'd say we're librating between 7 and 8.
I'm coming in peace, but I need to respond.
First, Slovaks did not start this topic either.
Second, just read this topic from the first page and it's all about how Slovaks are no longer in Big 7, Swiss are there, Swiss are better than Slovaks and so on. What is no truth at all.
There clearly is group Big 7. If we are talking only about WC, Slovakia is not even the 7th member, believe it or not, it's USA (2 or 3 bronze in last 50 years compared to 1-2-1 or 2-1-1 of Slovaks). If we are talking about whole picture including Olympics, then Slovakia is arguably the last of the big nations, but the gap between 7th and 8th is even bigger. In last 20 years we've won our round robin group three times and went on one deep run. That's a dream for any country like Swiss or Germany.
During our down years, it was popular claim that there is no Big 7 or Swiss are better. Based on what? Tell me.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 02:45 AM
torero

I believe that we rank number 7 ! (now i get lighten up by half of the people who will read this )

Many years we were not bad but with good games/ the trap and luck from our team.

This year we are qualitatively better than the past years but bad games / unluck.
I know that suddenly the whole game will click ... and we will match any team in a good day because the Swiss hockey style is more and more apparent and has more and more character.

The Slovaks were good this year playing the trap ! (remember you someone ?? Switzerland some years ago maybe ?)

And my first sentence ... we are number 7 ? i don't know. I know that this year with a good tournament, we could have matched many iced teams ...
I believe that we are part of the small big hockey nations now.
Does Slovakia belong to this group ? they are in final ! i guess YES. and who says no, should at least wait another year ... maybe !

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 02:50 AM
begbeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
I believe that we rank number 7 ! (now i get lighten up by half of the people who will read this )

Many years we were not bad but with good games/ the trap and luck from our team.

This year we are qualitatively better than the past years but bad games / unluck.
I know that suddenly the whole game will click ... and we will match any team in a good day because the Swiss hockey style is more and more apparent and has more and more character.

The Slovaks were good this year playing the trap ! (remember you someone ?? Switzerland some years ago maybe ?)

And my first sentence ... we are number 7 ? i don't know. I know that this year with a good tournament, we could have matched many iced teams ...
I believe that we are part of the small big hockey nations now.
Does Slovakia belong to this group ? they are in final ! i guess YES. and who says no, should at least wait another year ... maybe !
Yeah, that's right. Big 7 and then there are dangerous Swiss or Germany. Nothing wrong with that. You just need high-end results to say there is Big 8.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 04:26 AM
QnebO
Wheel, snipe, celly

Well well well... Slovakians in the Finals, and they just pushed the gap behind bigger.. They are now again clearly a top nation, before swiss and others who cannot so far achieve the results. Maybe they might achieve some day, im waiting for it.

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:37 AM
chokei

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Well well well... Slovakians in the Finals, and they just pushed the gap behind bigger.. They are now again clearly a top nation, before swiss and others who cannot so far achieve the results. Maybe they might achieve some day, im waiting for it.
It's a stupid topic and this will be my last post on it. But even if I like the WHC a lot and I think it's ridiculous how mostly canadians say it doesn't matter how you do on these tournaments because the only thing that counts are the olympic games, I also think it's not good to conclude too much based on these results. You can not take only 1 year and say "this year represents the power relationships the best!". And therefore I think it's good that the rankings are based on a weighted span of several years.

Look at the results of last years WC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_II...and_Statistics

If you say Slovakia is a top nation once again, you must have said that Slovakia isn't a top nation anymore last year, because they finished behind Norway, Germany and Switzerland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_II...and_statistics
2010 was even worse. How fast it can go.

chokei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 02:53 PM
jonas2244

That's why the USA and SVK are clearly #6 and #7, they can progress to the Finals but also can fall to the Relegation Round (or with the new format, places 12-16) while #8-#13 (Norway, Switzerland, Germany, Denmark and Latvia) could fall the relegation round and can progress to the Quarters.

jonas2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:03 PM
Uncle Rotter

Slovakia has 8 victories over the Top 6 in elimination games. Every other country below the Top 7 combined has a total of one, & it belongs to Belarus.

Uncle Rotter is online now   Reply With Quote