HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kabanov could be headed to the KHL

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2012, 05:12 PM
ayashin716

vCash: 500
Kabanov could be headed to the KHL

Just another chapter in a long and horrible novel...

staple
No confirmation from #Isles yet on @dchesnokov report that Kirill Kabanov is headed to KHL... But @dchesnokov is rarely wrong. More in a bit

dchesnokov
sports.ru is reporting Kirill Kabanov will play for Salavat Yulaev in the KHL. Trying to confirm #Isles #Shocked

Old
05-11-2012, 05:13 PM
ayashin716

now staple tweets:

Text from #Isles GM Garth Snow on report that Kabanov signed in KHL: "News to me. He's under contract for the next 3 years."

Old
05-11-2012, 05:25 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

What the ****? If true, **** him.

Old
05-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
I thought there was a general agreement about not poaching players under contract?

Old
05-11-2012, 05:32 PM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
I thought there was a general agreement about not poaching players under contract?
There is. That's what makes this even more interesting potentially...

Old
05-11-2012, 05:42 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 950
Ill be pretty mad about this if true. Didn't he sever his ties to Russia?

Old
05-11-2012, 05:43 PM
redbull
movin'on up

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown (and maybe another Klown - stay tuned)

Old
05-11-2012, 05:45 PM
OpAck

To me, Chesnokov is like the Bob McKenzie of Russia...fairly respectable, not willing to jump the gun on any rumor, etc. So this surprises me. He's still looking for confirmation, and the fact that Garth isn't aware of it, tells me it's more rumor than anything.

Old
05-11-2012, 05:46 PM
NYI JT91

Seriously...WTH. Petrov now Kabanov, we are losing our future offensive weapons left and right. No on will come here via FA now we lose those 2. Dibenidetto(forgive the name spelling) will not be the next st.louis. strome is Peca at best..We have no superstar offensive players in our prospect pool. Our pool is slowly becoming strictly good depth at best as each year passes. Anyone else thinking we need to trade up for nail ? I am. At this point id be ready to pull a Milbury and trade our 1st and some of our better unproven prospects to get him, atleast we know he will be a really good player and soon. Its killing me to see the trend that one way or the other...we dont have many significant players to look foward to.

Old
05-11-2012, 05:50 PM
ledzep1212
COYB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesallday View Post
Seriously...WTH. Petrov now Kabanov, we are losing our future offensive weapons left and right. No on will come here via FA now we lose those 2. Dibenidetto(forgive the name spelling) will not be the next st.louis. strome is Peca at best..We have no superstar offensive players in our prospect pool. Our pool is slowly becoming strictly good depth at best as each year passes. Anyone else thinking we need to trade up for nail ? I am. At this point id be ready to pull a Milbury and trade our 1st and some of our better unproven prospects to get him, atleast we know he will be a really good player and soon. Its killing me to see the trend that one way or the other...we dont have many significant players to look foward to.
uhhh, how about you wait until this is confirmed before you jump off the ledge.

Old
05-11-2012, 05:52 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Quote:
Strome is Peca at best? I wasn't aware you had a time machine, quick tell me what stocks to buy!!!

Old
05-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
I would love it if Strome was as good as Peca in his prime. Excellent leadership, elite shutdown forward, devastating open ice hits, and good for 20g and 50+ pts per year? Sign me up, please.

Old
05-11-2012, 05:59 PM
NYI JT91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep1212 View Post
uhhh, how about you wait until this is confirmed before you jump off the ledge.
Its not jumping off the edge bud...its called common sense. Plus this is real, trust me. Even if it wasent we would be stupid not to try and trade up anyway hes one guy(kabanov) I felt this way log before this news..the rest of our pool is still not that good. weve been on this rebuild for how long now ?? Snow is all about standing pat where did we finish last year ? Yeah I think getting another JT in this draft is the only way we improve, unless of course you can think of another way ? this franchise has proven for years now we cant do it any other way because weve tried those ways. The only success (JT) came via 1st overall. doing that again sounds pretty good to me.

Old
05-11-2012, 05:59 PM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
To me, Chesnokov is like the Bob McKenzie of Russia...fairly respectable, not willing to jump the gun on any rumor, etc. So this surprises me. He's still looking for confirmation, and the fact that Garth isn't aware of it, tells me it's more rumor than anything.
I don't think Garth would know anything ahead of time. How many people tell their boss they're looking to maybe sign on at another company before they hand over a resignation letter?

If KK decided to sign in the KHL while he's under contract to the NYI and that's what he wants to do, he's got every right since there's no agreement between the KHL-NHL.

Is it "right", does it reflect a player's integrity, character? I think so, but so what?

The right thing to do is approach Garth, via his agent, explain what's happening, KK's desire to play in the KHL next season and at least have the discussion. Probably the same result but at least the GM isn't made to look the fool.

Anyway, this is pure speculation and big picture, not a huge deal. But since it's the NHL playoffs, this must the NYI off-season, so it's a story.

Old
05-11-2012, 06:01 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
I would love it if Strome was as good as Peca in his prime. Excellent leadership, elite shutdown forward, devastating open ice hits, and good for 20g and 50+ pts per year? Sign me up, please.
(until Strome cries and moves back to buffalo )

Old
05-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Sign me up too please.

Even though Strome plays nothing like Peca.

Old
05-11-2012, 06:03 PM
NYI JT91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Strome is Peca at best? I wasn't aware you had a time machine, quick tell me what stocks to buy!!!
Your insult is not needed. Im going based off what experts have compared him to etc...unless of course youve seen him play and have a better prediciton

Quote:
Absolutly ill take it to...all im saying is that does not make us contenders or even a playoff team at that. Strome is our only good prospect. everyone else imo could be fails.

Old
05-11-2012, 06:07 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Yeah,having lost Petrov,Grebs and Kabanov to the KHL,Snow will be rushing out to land another Russian at the cost of 4th overall + top young talent

Old
05-11-2012, 06:08 PM
NYI JT91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
Sign me up too please.

Even though Strome plays nothing like Peca.
Ill disagree. Id say he shouldnt be far off. Except for the fact he wont be as good of a hitter. I can see him as a leader and 20g 50p, good shutdown player( maybe not as good as peca tho)

Old
05-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Its not jumping off the edge bud...its called common sense. Plus this is real, trust me. Even if it wasent we would be stupid not to try and trade up anyway hes one guy(kabanov) I felt this way log before this news..the rest of our pool is still not that good. weve been on this rebuild for how long now ?? Snow is all about standing pat where did we finish last year ? Yeah I think getting another JT in this draft is the only way we improve, unless of course you can think of another way ? this franchise has proven for years now we cant do it any other way because weve tried those ways. The only success (JT) came via 1st overall. doing that again sounds pretty good to me.
Take away Kabanov and Petrov and they still have a top 5 prospect pool. Not that big of a loss IMO.

It's not like we are losing our top 2 prospects here.

Quote:
Your insult is not needed. Im going based off what experts have compared him to etc...unless of course youve seen him play and have a better prediciton
I've never seen Ryan Strome compared to Peca.

Guy is all offense right now, maybe he will develop some shutdown skills someday, we will see.

Old
05-11-2012, 06:10 PM
NYI JT91

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Yeah,having lost Petrov,Grebs and Kabanov to the KHL,Snow will be rushing out to land another Russian at the cost of 4th overall + top young talent
Fair enough except where is the top young talent aside from strome ? Was suppose to be Nino also but the Islanders are ruining him before our eyes every night.

Old
05-11-2012, 06:12 PM
NYI JT91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
Take away Kabanov and Petrov and they still have a top 5 prospect pool. Not that big of a loss IMO.

It's not like we are losing our top 2 prospects here.

I've never seen Ryan Strome compared to Peca.

Agreed, but offensivly quite possibly they are.

Ive seen it before cant remeber where and to be fair I said Peca at best. Not that he would end up like him

Old
05-11-2012, 06:13 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Different sites like hockeyprospectus/HF/THN rank the NYI prospect pool very highly.Among the best in the league.

Kabanov,like Petrov,was a low risk/high reward pick because the isles only used 3rd rounders on them.

It's a big difference, having a 3rd rounder not work out vs. a top 4 pick not working out.

Old
05-11-2012, 06:14 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Quote:

Absolutly ill take it to...all im saying is that does not make us contenders or even a playoff team at that. Strome is our only good prospect. everyone else imo could be fails.
Not sure how that is an insult

Old
05-11-2012, 06:16 PM
NYI JT91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Not sure how that is an insult
Well if it wasent I apologize. Maybe I took it wrong, long day already lol

Closed Thread