HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tim Thomas available?

Old
05-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Why would you want a 38 year old, he's probably done within 2 years.
He's a short window... kind of like our cup chances (at the moment)

Edit: Pretty sure Zecke was being sarcastic and mocking the Bryz talk last offseason

Kronwalled55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:10 PM
GentlemanMasher*
Registered Abuser

We've had a short window for about a decade now. Our window isn't small when we have great management, great coaching, great drafting and great ownership. We'll be fine.

GentlemanMasher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronwalled55 View Post
He's a short window... kind of like our cup chances (at the moment)

Edit: Pretty sure Zecke was being sarcastic and mocking the Bryz talk last offseason
his sarcasm is, like, humongous big

05-09-2012, 02:29 PM
GentlemanMasher*
Registered Abuser

Humangus*

Old
05-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

If we're trading for a Bruins goalie I want Rask.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:37 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Given his age it would only make sense for 1-2 runs really, so only as part of loading up with other top reinforcements.

TheMoreYouKnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:17 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Let Chicago pay through the nose for him. I will be curious to see him with a terrible D in front of him. I like watching him play and he is great when he is on, but him and Rask have very similar numbers and Tim Thomas was not great after his Whitehouse comments, also basically for that period of time the Bruins decided not to play D. I think he will still be good, but people might be surprised at how dreadfully bad the Hawks D is, they give up a ton of quality chances, even Tim Thomas probably cannot bail them out often enough to make them serious cup threats.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:12 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Let Chicago pay through the nose for him. I will be curious to see him with a terrible D in front of him. I like watching him play and he is great when he is on, but him and Rask have very similar numbers and Tim Thomas was not great after his Whitehouse comments, also basically for that period of time the Bruins decided not to play D. I think he will still be good, but people might be surprised at how dreadfully bad the Hawks D is, they give up a ton of quality chances, even Tim Thomas probably cannot bail them out often enough to make them serious cup threats.
Those White House comments make me believe he wouldn't fit here - we don't really have any overly outspoken guys on the team, which is something I'm sure Holland would take into consideration if he were to trade for him.

Either way, I don't favor spending twice as much on a guy who would back Jimmy up as we pay Jimmy.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:21 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Rafalski actually was pretty politically active too, same direction as Thomas as well. (Probably why Bob never liked him).

TheMoreYouKnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:31 PM
InGusWeTrust
hockey.tk

vCash: 542
I heard Bryzgalov was available too. hehe

InGusWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:00 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
No. If they're throwing money around they should put it where the weaknesses are, which is scoring wingers, forechecking forwards, and defensive defensemen.

Putting Thomas in net behind a team that plays as lousy as this team did the last 3 months would be ugly, just like it was ugly with Howard in there. And would be ugly with anybody in there. Except maybe the Sumo Goalie. Still not sure why they haven't tried that...

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:25 PM
sureWhyNot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Should we go after him?

I heard Boston is getting the best non-NHL Finnish goaltender Petri Vehanen for next season to join the tandem with Tuukka Rask, so they could trade Tim Thomas.

He would fit superbly for Detroit. They could slipt the games with Howard and we would have Stanley Cup winning experience again between the posts. If other gets injured, the level of goaltending will still be extremely high.

I think that Thomas as a Flint native would be interested to join the Wings.

And we have the capspace for him.

This was from cbc.ca
No we shouldn't.

sureWhyNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
No. If they're throwing money around they should put it where the weaknesses are, which is scoring wingers, forechecking forwards, and defensive defensemen.

Putting Thomas in net behind a team that plays as lousy as this team did the last 3 months would be ugly, just like it was ugly with Howard in there. And would be ugly with anybody in there. Except maybe the Sumo Goalie. Still not sure why they haven't tried that...
Agree that the Wings have more pressing areas to spend $$ on- I like watching Thomas play and him decking a Sedin in last year's finals was FANTASTIC, but it doesn't make sense to me to devote that much cap space to the goalie position. Definitely would rather see some scoring or physical forwards being brought in.

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:10 PM
RedMachine87

Pass.

Unless they just want Emmerton for him.

RedMachine87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:37 PM
KingzOverAcez

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanMasher View Post
We can keep Jimmy sharp without paying his backup 5 million dollars. Because if it's established Thomas is his backup, that's a lot of money to pay your backup and that's if Thomas would even accept that. Why would he, when he could start almost anywhere else?

What does that even mean? Both of those guys kicked around quite a while.
I'll give you Hasek, but Roloson? The guy has TERRIBLE last year and should have retired.

And goalies like Hasek aren't very common in the NHL.

KingzOverAcez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:39 PM
kdfsjljklgjfg

Quote:
Except maybe the Sumo Goalie. Still not sure why they haven't tried that...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP8ZVWiZUMA Still need to be quick.

kdfsjljklgjfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:58 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg View Post
well as long as we don't face a sharpshooter like George Parros we'll be fine

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post

Well done.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 06:27 PM
GentlemanMasher*
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingzOverAcez View Post
I'll give you Hasek, but Roloson? The guy has TERRIBLE last year and should have retired.

And goalies like Hasek aren't very common in the NHL.
Roloson almost went to the finals at what, 42? Hell, he should've. Boston to me got extremely lucky. He didn't look great this season but not many goalies would with that kind of defense.

Old
05-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Dynheart

I never understood the defense argument. The goalie has to make the save, right? If the shot was a really good shot, a shot NO goalie had no business stopping, but did anyway? He'll leave a rebound most likely because he went all Gumby like to save it.

This is what defense it for. If there was no defense, I don't care if you're Roy, you're going to end up with lame ass stats. The goalie is there to make the stop, that's all. The defense is there to cover his butt (and the goalie to cover theirs...goes hand-n-hand).

That's why there's a saying: HoF goaltenders play for great teams/defensive systems. But the greats on the Blue Jackets for the majority of the their career. Would they make the HoF? Something to ponder.

Some goalies are better than others, sure. Their stats will be better infront of a great system. An average goaile will have good stats.

That's how we know, skills wise, Howard is a better goalie that Ozzie. Plays for a worse Wing defense, but puts up better stats. Imagine Howard's stats in 08 and 09? Heh.

My point? Thomas benefits, obviously, from their defense. But to put up thpse stats? He's a damn good goalie. But all goalies benefit, otherwise....they all would have.700 save %'s and 5+ golas against.

Dynheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynheart View Post
That's why there's a saying: HoF goaltenders play for great teams/defensive systems. But the greats on the Blue Jackets for the majority of the their career. Would they make the HoF? Something to ponder.
We don't have to ponder. Hasek dominated goaltending for years on an average team. When he won the Hart in 1998, the Sabres allowed more shots per game (31.2) than any other team. Ed Belfour, on the other hand, had to stop 22.8 shots per game. Brodeur? 23.7.

The cream always rises to the top.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:15 PM
GentlemanMasher*
Registered Abuser

^I will always argue that Hasek was the exception to the rule. I was a goalie most of my life and played into a fairly high level, and I will admit goaltending for 99/100 guys is just about the team in front of you. Not just D, but team. Mostly players, and a little coaching too. Hasek was a freak of nature and just had a one of a kind mind mixed with superhuman physical ability. Sadly we'll never see another.

There are guys who do well in spite of what's in front of them. Most of the time they succumb to it and while playing very well, they don't come off looking as good as the Roys or Brodeurs who played behind excellent defenses every single season. Even though I believe they're just as good. Guys like Cujo, the Beezer (stupidly underrated), players like that. Give Joseph that Devils trap for 15 years and he'd have 3 or 4 rings. The whole "history remembers winners" mindset is ignorant and skews our perspective.

Old
05-10-2012, 08:49 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
Agree that the Wings have more pressing areas to spend $$ on- I like watching Thomas play and him decking a Sedin in last year's finals was FANTASTIC, but it doesn't make sense to me to devote that much cap space to the goalie position. Definitely would rather see some scoring or physical forwards being brought in.
Howard facewashing Crosby >>> Thomas vs Sedin

So even the sentimental reasons tip in Jimmy's favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
There are so many things wrong with that clip. "Science", pah!

1. That goalie isn't nearly fat enough. There are sumos that are way bigger than him. Or rather, they could find a guy that's way bigger than that dude who is still mobile enough to get into gear and get to the net. Pretty sure Akebono was bigger than the guy in the clip:

2. That goalie wasn't making any effort to maximize his net coverage. He's just standing there with 3 or 4 feet of his body covering empty air above the bar. Put that guy in a butterfly and have him either put his elbows in the corners and hold his hands downward to cover the sides, or have him put his elbows out wide and hold his hands up to cover the corners. Dude's got his hands and arms out in front of him. Terrible technique. Conklinesque.

3. If guys like Giguere can dress up like sumo wrestlers, imagine the ridiculous padding that an actual sumo could get away with. That guy's pads and jersey should have been much, much larger. Possibly with poles inside to make the jersey stick out even more.

4. Unless the other team has 50 breakaways a game, they're not going to score much even if there are a few inches of open space available here and there. You're still playing defense, even though you shouldn't have to try as hard. Teams can't even get a shot to the middle of the net against (Western Conference) playoff defenses, and you think guys will be able to pick corners and creases? Nahh.

5. Where's Norm Maracle when you need him?

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Howard facewashing Crosby >>> Thomas vs Sedin

So even the sentimental reasons tip in Jimmy's favor.
Have to take issue w/ this one- no way is a facewash as good as drilling an opposing forward who is prone to diving and getting away w/ it. Now, it will be Howard FTW if Crosby is ever posting up in front of the net, his back to Howard to set a screen, and Jimmy gives him the ol' Ric Flair "Dirtiest Player in the Game" groin shot from behind

Quote:
3. If guys like Giguere can dress up like sumo wrestlers, imagine the ridiculous padding that an actual sumo could get away with. That guy's pads and jersey should have been much, much larger. Possibly with poles inside to make the jersey stick out even more.
J-S Freakin' Giguere... if ever there was a specific player that should have prompted the NHL to IMMEDIATELY implement a large reduction in goalie equipment size, it was him. That guy had 2 coffee tables for leg pads, a jersey the size of a car cover, and a catching glove as big as my direct tv satellite receiver. And this was somehow ok w/ the league. He still makes me angry- not even that the Ducks took out the Wings, but that he was allowed to wear that equipment in every game. Going back to wrestling analogies, it would be like the bad guy knocking out the good guy w/ a foreign object in full view of the ref, and not getting disqualified- it just violated my sense of right and wrong!

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:39 PM
Dynheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
We don't have to ponder. Hasek dominated goaltending for years on an average team. When he won the Hart in 1998, the Sabres allowed more shots per game (31.2) than any other team. Ed Belfour, on the other hand, had to stop 22.8 shots per game. Brodeur? 23.7.

The cream always rises to the top.
What the other guy said... One goalie doesn't make the rule. Hasek was what we would call the Bobby Orr of goalies. One of a kind. we wont see another like him again. If we do, it wont be for a VERY long time.

With the talent and the way the game is played now, you NEED defense, or the goalie will be eaten alive. Cream rising or not.

Dynheart is offline   Reply With Quote