HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

You're the GM! How do you build the Habs for next season?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-09-2012, 12:21 PM
  #1
Punkeater
Registered User
 
Punkeater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 553
vCash: 500
You're the GM! How do you build the Habs for next season?

This is how I would build the Habs for next season.

Of course it's all hypothetical. UFA'S that I like might not want to sign for Montreal.

Buyout Gomez. He will still count for 3.3 on the cap but you don't want him in Hamilton leading the kids.

Trade Weber in the offseason for picks.

Re-Sign Moen for 2 Millions/Year. Upgraded from 1.5.

Re-Sign Staubitz for 0.6. He was solid this year for Montreal. He's the perfect tough 4th liner model. He can fight, he can throw a hit. He's seems like a good team player.

Re-Sign Darche for 0.7. I think as a 4th line winger, he can do the job. Cannot hurt that he's a local guy too.

Re-Sign R.White for 0.7. Can fight, can hit. He's built like a tank and he goes in traffic. Can score the big goal. He's worth it on the 4th line.

Re-Sign C.Price. Of course I think that he would accept a 6 millions/year contract for 5 years

Re-Sign Subban for 3.5/y for 4 to 5 years approx.

Re-Sign Yemelin and Diaz. Emelin for 1.250. Diaz for 0.950.

UFAS
:


Signs P-A Parenteau for 3 to 3.5 millions a year. Good 2th line winger. Great passer and he'll give you approx 20 goals a year and he's french so that cannot hurt again.

Signs Bryan Allen to play with Kaberle. 3.5 millions/year. Big 6'5 steady defensemen.

I would draft Alex Galchenyuk with the 3rd overall pick but I would give him at least another year in juniors since he had that big injury this season.

Unless amazing pre season camp. I would let Louis Leblanc plays a leader role in Hamilton to help him develop smoother.

So here's what it looks like:

Cole - Desharnais - Pacioretty
Gionta - Plekanec - Parenteau
Bourque - Eller - Moen
Darche - White - Staubitz

Markov - Emelin
Subban - Gorges
Kaberle - Allen
Diaz

Kaberle and Diaz alterning for 6th D spot

Price
Budaj

Patrick Roy or Alain Vigneault (if he's fired) as a coach

With that line-up at the price I said... I would have approx 3 millions of cap space and yes I counted Gomez

I think that could be a realistic and competitive line-up.

What do you guys think? What would be your Habs line-up for 2012-2013?

I've edited once again, when I made my calculations, I thought the cap would be around 64 millions and now everybody's talking about a 69-70 millions cap. That change everything! I've took my Bryan Allen back.


Last edited by Punkeater: 05-15-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Punkeater is offline  
Old
05-09-2012, 12:22 PM
  #2
charlie
Registered User
 
charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,261
vCash: 358
Punkeater for GM

charlie is online now  
Old
05-09-2012, 12:22 PM
  #3
UniverStalinGraduate*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
A Gomez buy out will be 4.3 in the 2nd year if they buy him out this Summer.

How good of a player do you really think the Habs will be able to get to "replace" Gomez, when 4.3 cap hit is assessed for a nothing player.

And Subban needs to be signed as well.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline  
Old
05-09-2012, 12:33 PM
  #4
Punkeater
Registered User
 
Punkeater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
A Gomez buy out will be 4.3 in the 2nd year if they buy him out this Summer.

How good of a player do you really think the Habs will be able to get to "replace" Gomez, when 4.3 cap hit is assessed for a nothing player.

And Subban needs to be signed as well.
Yeah my bad forgot to mention about Subban, I'll edit my text. I would re-sign Subban for 2.5/year which is an upgrade of 1.625.

As of Gomez contract, the team have to pay him 66% of the total lenght of his contract which would be. 5.5 + 4.5 = 10 x 66% = 6.6/2 year = 3.3 per year.

Punkeater is offline  
Old
05-09-2012, 12:36 PM
  #5
UniverStalinGraduate*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkeater View Post
Yeah my bad forgot to mention about Subban, I'll edit my text. I would re-sign Subban for 2.5/year which is an upgrade of 1.625.

As of Gomez contract, the team have to pay him 66% of the total lenght of his contract which would be. 5.5 + 4.5 = 10 x 66% = 6.6/2 year = 3.3 per year.
Yeah...I don't really get how buy outs work, but according to capgeek it would be

3.523
4.523
1.666
1.666

So I'm gonna assume that's right, as opposed to your figure. Although I did alwyas think the way you've explained it was how it worked as well.

And Subban's contract will be at least 3.5 I would guess. Maybe even 4+ if they sign him longer than 2-3 years

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline  
Old
05-09-2012, 12:38 PM
  #6
MasterD
Registered User
 
MasterD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkeater View Post
Yeah my bad forgot to mention about Subban, I'll edit my text. I would re-sign Subban for 2.5/year which is an upgrade of 1.625.

As of Gomez contract, the team have to pay him 66% of the total lenght of his contract which would be. 5.5 + 4.5 = 10 x 66% = 6.6/2 year = 3.3 per year.
Yup, there is a difference between how much he actually gets paid and how much he costs on the cap, even for a buy out, but I think you are right, it'd be 3.3 millions/year on the cap. Could be wrong.

MasterD is offline  
Old
05-09-2012, 12:39 PM
  #7
UniverStalinGraduate*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD View Post
Yup, there is a difference between how much he actually gets paid and how much he costs on the cap, even for a buy out, but I think you are right, it'd be 3.3 millions/year on the cap. Could be wrong.
I believe, what it is...is that it goes by his cap hit, as opposed to his cap dollars?

Not sure though

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline  
Old
05-09-2012, 12:44 PM
  #8
Punkeater
Registered User
 
Punkeater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I believe, what it is...is that it goes by his cap hit, as opposed to his cap dollars?

Not sure though
Yeah here's what they say about Buyouts on http://proicehockey.about.com/od/lea...salary_cap.htm

Contract Buyouts:

For players under the age of 26, a buyout costs the team one-third of remaining contract value.
For players 26 or older, a buyout costs two-thirds of remaining contract value.
On a buyout, the team takes a cap hit for a percentage of the buyout value (according to a very complex formula) spread over twice the length of the remaining contract years.

So I think that would be this for Gomez instead of what I said. You had it right since it's it would be on 4 years, it would suck on that second year lol but getting Gomez was a big mistake and the team have to pay for it I guess :S

2012-13: $3,523,810
2013-14: $4,523,810
2014-15: $1,666,667
2015-16: $1,666,667


Last edited by Punkeater: 05-09-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Punkeater is offline  
Old
05-09-2012, 12:47 PM
  #9
Halifaxhab*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,219
vCash: 500
Other than lowballing Subban a bit, the choice of coach and the Gomez Buy-out, that's all things I'd love to see.

-Subban signed to a 3-4yr deal (in the 3.5M range)
-Gomez buried in the minors or paid to go to europe...or if you can blackmail someone, traded

-For coach, Vignault is a good choice (if he gets fired)...HELL NO to Roy. Another choice, Hartley, and there are many others...as long as it isn't Roy. We need a veteran NHL Head Coach, Roy as an assistant, sure. But his personality will definately clash with the vets and fast.

-I'd also add Gaustad as well.

Halifaxhab* is offline  
Old
05-09-2012, 12:48 PM
  #10
MintyFresh
Registered User
 
MintyFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
Subban for only 2.5 and Price for 5? I was thinking more along the lines of 3.5-4 for Subban and 6 for Price. And I wouldn't buy out Gomez, just send him to Hamilton or Europe. I like your UFA signings though

MintyFresh is offline  
Old
05-09-2012, 12:49 PM
  #11
UniverStalinGraduate*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkeater View Post
Yeah here's what they say about Buyouts on http://proicehockey.about.com/od/lea...salary_cap.htm

Contract Buyouts:

For players under the age of 26, a buyout costs the team one-third of remaining contract value.
For players 26 or older, a buyout costs two-thirds of remaining contract value.
On a buyout, the team takes a cap hit for a percentage of the buyout value (according to a very complex formula) spread over twice the length of the remaining contract years.
Yeah, maybe capgeek is wrong but I doubt it.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline  
Old
05-09-2012, 12:53 PM
  #12
Punkeater
Registered User
 
Punkeater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Yeah, maybe capgeek is wrong but I doubt it.
Yep i just edited my text. I think Cap Geek is right.

Punkeater is offline  
Old
05-09-2012, 12:54 PM
  #13
UniverStalinGraduate*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkeater View Post
Yep i just edited my text. I think Cap Geek is right.
I do too...I still don't get it though.

At first I was thinking maybe it's the cap hit value, not the dollar value

So 7.35x2x.666

But that doesn't add up either

Scott Gomez is 32 years old on the buyout date of June 15, 2012, setting the buyout ratio at 2/3 and the total buyout cost at $6,666,667 spread over 4 years. His contract was originally valued at $51,500,000 beginning in 2007 and ending in 2014, with $10,000,000 remaining from the buyout year forward. The following is a season-by-season breakdown of the buyout. A negative buyout cap hit indicates a credit.
BUYOUT DETAILS
SEASON SALARY CAP HIT BUYOUT SAVINGS BUYOUT CAP HIT
2012-13 $5,500,000 $7,357,143 $1,666,667 $3,833,333 $3,523,810
2013-14 $4,500,000 $7,357,143 $1,666,667 $2,833,333 $4,523,810
2014-15 $0 $0 $1,666,667 -$1,666,667 $1,666,667
2015-16 $0 $0 $1,666,667 -$1,666,667 $1,666,667

Confusing as hell.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline  
Old
05-09-2012, 12:55 PM
  #14
Punkeater
Registered User
 
Punkeater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MintyFresh View Post
Subban for only 2.5 and Price for 5? I was thinking more along the lines of 3.5-4 for Subban and 6 for Price. And I wouldn't buy out Gomez, just send him to Hamilton or Europe. I like your UFA signings though

Gotta convince them Again Subban and Price might be a little low and I think they're still kinda young for their "big contract" but that's why I would gave them only 2 years to prove themselves, but you might be right too. Might have to add Can't wait for Bergevin to re-sign them

Punkeater is offline  
Old
05-09-2012, 12:56 PM
  #15
UniverStalinGraduate*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkeater View Post
Gotta convince them Again Subban and Price might be a little low and I think they're still kinda young for their "big contract" but that's why I would gave them only 2 years to prove themselves, but you might be right too. Might have to add Can't wait for Bergevin to re-sign them
If Price signs for just 2 years he'd be a UFA after that.

That's scary to me.

Give him more money to buy some of his UFA years, around 5 years...then when he's 29 he can get his real big contract.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline  
Old
05-09-2012, 12:57 PM
  #16
Punkeater
Registered User
 
Punkeater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
Other than lowballing Subban a bit, the choice of coach and the Gomez Buy-out, that's all things I'd love to see.

-Subban signed to a 3-4yr deal (in the 3.5M range)
-Gomez buried in the minors or paid to go to europe...or if you can blackmail someone, traded

-For coach, Vignault is a good choice (if he gets fired)...HELL NO to Roy. Another choice, Hartley, and there are many others...as long as it isn't Roy. We need a veteran NHL Head Coach, Roy as an assistant, sure. But his personality will definately clash with the vets and fast.

-I'd also add Gaustad as well.
I would love Gaustad too but I think it would be short on the cap space. Unless you don't resign Moen.

Punkeater is offline  
Old
05-09-2012, 12:58 PM
  #17
jwolf
Registered User
 
jwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 574
vCash: 500
Nicely done, Punkeater! Pretty bang on.

I would, however, make a run at Parise before signing Parenteau. Not saying he'll come here, but I'd make it hard for him to say no. I would also add Konopka as 4th line depth if he comes at a reasonable price.

jwolf is offline  
Old
05-09-2012, 01:00 PM
  #18
Punkeater
Registered User
 
Punkeater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
If Price signs for just 2 years he'd be a UFA after that.

That's scary to me.

Give him more money to buy some of his UFA years, around 5 years...then when he's 29 he can get his real big contract.
Good point on Price! If he doesn't resign in two years we're screwed


As of the Gomez buyout, you're not alone to be confused lol

Punkeater is offline  
Old
05-09-2012, 01:06 PM
  #19
Punkeater
Registered User
 
Punkeater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
Nicely done, Punkeater! Pretty bang on.

I would, however, make a run at Parise before signing Parenteau. Not saying he'll come here, but I'd make it hard for him to say no. I would also add Konopka as 4th line depth if he comes at a reasonable price.
Thanks But if you go for Parise you need to find some cash. If you don't sign Parenteau you could save approx 3.5 millions and you would have approx 1 to 3 millions more of cap space depending if you add to Subban or Price contract.

I think you would fall short for Parise unless you trade a player to free some space. I would have jump on Konopka if he was available as a UFA. Like you said, might be a good player to add if he comes at a reasonable price in a trade.

Punkeater is offline  
Old
05-09-2012, 01:08 PM
  #20
UniverStalinGraduate*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkeater View Post
Good point on Price! If he doesn't resign in two years we're screwed


As of the Gomez buyout, you're not alone to be confused lol
It's so confusing because your original post had the most logical answer.

Either way, a buy out is far from an enticing option and I hope they find another way to get rid of Gomez. Given the option between 3.5/4.5/1.66/1.66 or having him on the team for the next 2 years I'd actually prefer him on the team. You aren't going to get that good of a player for 3.8 or 2.8 million and in the 3rd and 4th years that could significantly weaken their depth at forward or defence.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline  
Old
05-09-2012, 01:21 PM
  #21
Sakus Yo Daddy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Posts: 70
vCash: 500
I like your FA signings of Allen/Parenteau... but I think you're too low on Parenteau's contract. Coming off a career year in a weak FA class, he'll probably command close to what Leino/Connolly/Cole got last year, which is around $4.5 million. I'd offer him 3 years @ $4 million and see if he bites.

Price will sign for at least $6 million. Anyone who doubts that is insane.

PK will get between $3-4 million.

Sakus Yo Daddy is offline  
Old
05-09-2012, 01:24 PM
  #22
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,157
vCash: 500
FYI, Bryan Allen is something like a 6th Dman... U don't pay them 3.5M ...


Easy.

Step one: I bury Gomer, I now have 26 millions to go !
Step two: I sign Carey for 6 years at 6.5 a year good for 39 Millions.
Step three: I sign Subbannator for 6 years 4.5 a year
Step four: Sign white to a three year 850k a year deal, Moen to a two 2M, Staubitz to a 1 year 500k .
Step five: Give Larsy an extention for three years at 2 Millions, Give an extension to Diaz for 850/two years Emelins 1.5/3 years
step six: Trade Kaberle for a 3rd round pick...Draft Forsberg(If not available Murray), the rest of my draft list consist of Thrower, Aberg, Matteau, Wilson, Hertl, Bozon, Nieves, Frk, Slepishev, Koekkek, Subban, Dansk,Sissons,Bussiere, Fournier, Sutter, Samuelsson Maidens, Ebert Vasilevski, Kerdiles, Gusev,
Step Seven: Sign Jim Slater For 2 years 1.6 OR sign Jay Mcclement for two years 2m OR sign Mackenzie to a two year deal 1 million
step eight : Hire Bryan Allen for 2M two years.
Step nine : Hire a coach

My line-up would consist of :
The first line here having the easiest matchup going down to the thoughest(Thus not in play time..They all should be at around 15 to 20 minutes of play)..Takes off defensive pressure off Plekanec and lets our three kids develop there play in the O zone!
Desharnais-Eller-Cole
Patches-Leblanc-Forsberg
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Moen-Mcclement-White
Staubitz

Gorges-Subban Going against toughest matchup
Markov-Emelin
Allen-Weber Easiest Matchup
Diaz

Carey Price
Peter Budaj
5.85

I got bashed real hard for wanting to put leblanc on the ''first line'' People dont understand that this is an alternance system much like the bruins had.. The easiest way to win. Play with your depth

Mrb1p is online now  
Old
05-09-2012, 01:26 PM
  #23
No Style Points
Registered User
 
No Style Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Delaware
Country: United States
Posts: 884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakus Yo Daddy View Post
I like your FA signings of Allen/Parenteau... but I think you're too low on Parenteau's contract. Coming off a career year in a weak FA class, he'll probably command close to what Leino/Connolly/Cole got last year, which is around $4.5 million. I'd offer him 3 years @ $4 million and see if he bites.

Price will sign for at least $6 million. Anyone who doubts that is insane.

PK will get between $3-4 million.
So...in the upper range of estimates... Parise 8M+, PAP 4.5, Price 6M+, Subban 4M ... looks like we won't be able to afford all our toys... Bah what a sick team that would make though!

No Style Points is offline  
Old
05-09-2012, 01:27 PM
  #24
charlie
Registered User
 
charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,261
vCash: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
FYI, Bryan Allen is something like a 6th Dman... U don't pay them 3.5M ...


Easy.

Step one: I bury Gomer, I now have 26 millions to go !
Step two: I sign Carey for 6 years at 6.5 a year good for 39 Millions.
Step three: I sign Subbannator for 6 years 4.5 a year
Step four: Sign white to a three year 850k a year deal, Moen to a two 2M, Staubitz to a 1 year 500k .
Step five: Give Larsy an extention for three years at 2 Millions, Give an extension to Diaz for 850/two years Emelins 1.5/3 years
step six: Trade Kaberle for a 3rd round pick...Draft Forsberg(If not available Murray), the rest of my draft list consist of Thrower, Aberg, Matteau, Wilson, Hertl, Bozon, Nieves, Frk, Slepishev, Koekkek, Subban, Dansk,Sissons,Bussiere, Fournier, Sutter, Samuelsson Maidens, Ebert Vasilevski, Kerdiles, Gusev,
Step Seven: Sign Jim Slater For 2 years 1.6 OR sign Jay Mcclement for two years 2m OR sign Mackenzie to a two year deal 1 million
step eight : Hire Bryan Allen for 2M two years.
Step nine : Hire a coach

My line-up would consist of :
The first line here having the easiest matchup going down to the thoughest(Thus not in play time..They all should be at around 15 to 20 minutes of play)..Takes off defensive pressure off Plekanec and lets our three kids develop there play in the O zone!
Desharnais-Eller-Cole
Patches-Leblanc-Forsberg
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Moen-Mcclement-White
Staubitz

Gorges-Subban Going against toughest matchup
Markov-Emelin
Allen-Weber Easiest Matchup
Diaz

Carey Price
Peter Budaj
5.85

I got bashed real hard for wanting to put leblanc on the ''first line'' People dont understand that this is an alternance system much like the bruins had.. The easiest way to win. Play with your depth
Wholly crap.........Do you guys not work??

charlie is online now  
Old
05-09-2012, 01:30 PM
  #25
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
Wholly crap.........Do you guys not work??
Three days off makes it easy ?

Mrb1p is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.