HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

You're the GM! How do you build the Habs for next season?

Closed Thread

Old
05-27-2012, 09:56 AM
Saopolo123

vCash: 500
Get Parise and Galchenyuk this year and the Future will be Bright !

Pacc - Galchenyuk - Parise
Eller - Desharnais - Cole
Bourque - Leblanc - Bournival
Moen - Dumont - White

Tinordi - Subban
Gorges - Beaulieu
Emilin - Ellis

Price
Biron

Soooo good to dream.

Last edited by Saopolo123: 05-27-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old
05-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Teufelsdreck

I'd look to the trade market. This isn't a promising time for signing significant UFAs.

Old
05-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saopolo123 View Post
Get Parise and Galchenyuk this year and the Future will be Bright !

Pacc - Galchenyuk - Parise
Eller - Desharnais - Cole
Bourque - Leblanc - Bournival
Moen - Dumont - White

Tinordi - Subban
Gorges - Beaulieu
Emilin - Ellis

Price
Biron

Soooo good to dream.
Seguin wasn't close to being a top 2 center in his 18 year old season. RNH was, but Edmonton finished at the bottom of the league again. Galchenyuk is less talented than both, and just missed a season of development. IMO it is highly unrealistic to expect him to do Plekanec's job next season.

Old
05-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Punkeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Seguin wasn't close to being a top 2 center in his 18 year old season. RNH was, but Edmonton finished at the bottom of the league again. Galchenyuk is less talented than both, and just missed a season of development. IMO it is highly unrealistic to expect him to do Plekanec's job next season.

This... Galchenyuk will need at least another season in juniors, at least to get his knee back on shape. Maybe the year after if he rips it up in the OHL next season

Old
05-27-2012, 06:10 PM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkeater View Post
This... Galchenyuk will need at least another season in juniors, at least to get his knee back on shape. Maybe the year after if he rips it up in the OHL next season
I don't think he was refering for next year....probably in the future

Old
05-28-2012, 05:24 PM
goman

Draft
I would draft one of the big centres, or if somehow he fell, Yakupov. I haven't watched any of these guys play but I've read a good amount and it seems Grigorenko has really dropped off after being the early favourite. Inconsistency is what I keep hearing, and that scares me, as I'm sure it scares a lot of people. If you're going after a centre, it's because you want to bring more stability and leadership from the middle. You want a star pivot, a real no. 1 centre like a Getzlaf or Staal or Sedin or Kopitar.

So probably not Grigorenko, more likely Galchenyuk or maybe Forsberg. It seems the idea is Galchenyuk is maybe more ready but coming off a serious injury so who knows? Forsberg seems to have a lot you'd desire in a no. 1 c but it's sometimes difficult predicting how SEL success will translate to the NHL. Not that CHL to NHL is a surefire thing either but the style of play is more similar, though probably at a lower level. Certainly a less developed level. So, it's a toss up between those two. I have no idea but I'd say it's more likely they'll make a good choice here than a bad one.

The other possibility is you don't think any of these guys are no 1 centres, more likely good 2nd line centres, which we seem to be flush with - Plekanec, Desharnais, Eller all pretty much topping out as 2nd line centres (remember when we resigned ourselves to believing Gomez would at least included in this group). And maybe then you take the opportunity to instead fill out the defense a little and take a Murray or one of the other defenseman (I'd be more inclined to take an all around or shut down defender to an offensive d-man).

You'd have to like another young stud coming up to give a d of Murray, Subban, Gorges, Emelin, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis.

But if there's a no. 1 centre in this draft I say take him. You play this season out with Plekanec - Desharnais - Eller - White and maybe Forsberg/Galchenyuk and then see where you're at at the trade deadline perhaps, if Desharnais Eller or Forsberg/Galchenyuk has made a real statement they can play a bigger role now you can think of moving one of them for something else. Or you transition one to the wing. Most people hate the idea of Eller moving to the wing but I also heard he played wing at the WCs and did well there.

Past the first pick I'd look to add more depth at every position, especially in goal but we could use help everywhere. Seems we're still a little small upfront and lacking in much high impact potential. Lots of picks this year and from a good position, this should be a very good year at the draft for us. I could see us packaging a couple picks to move up here and there. Bet the scouts are licking their chops right now. Too bad Dudley can't work on the draft. I don't follow prospects before the draft much so I don't have anyone on my wish list.

Coach
Tough one. Sometimes it takes a vet coach who knows how to win to turn a franchise around, and sometimes it's a young coach, and a new perspective to get a team going. I think the big thing is instilling a winning atmosphere and winning practices and attitudes. I'm really excited about this decision. I think, more than anything this may go a long way to defining this new management. It may also show how much autonomy Bergevin has.

UFA
No reason to not go all in for both Suter and Parise. There'd be no choosing one over the other, we could use both immensely and if we could get them both we should. Both are proven commodities and possess a few of the things we need most - elite talent and game-breaking ability at fwd and a shutdown d-man. Both are young enough that they could be a major part of turning this franchise into a champion and perennial contender.

I don't think our chances are very good on either one, but this is the time to show the direction of the club, if you can get them, get them.

In terms of re-signing...
Moen - re-sign, 3-5 years, big part of the team, every reason to keep him as a 3rd/4th liner
Staubitz - toss-up, could have him back or replace him with someone similar but perhaps a little more capable of playing a regular shift like Prust
Darche - perhaps a 2 way deal but most likely no offer
Campoli - no offer

Targets...
1. Elite shutdown dman - Ryan Suter
2. 1 top 6 winger - Parise, Doan, Semin, Parenteau, Jagr
Past Parise and Doan, I don't know that I'd want to do more than a 1-2 year deal on any of the other 3 which would probably leave us out of Semin and Parenteau and Jagr would be be a longshot - though it sounds like he might not re-sign in Philly, Montreal may not have enough to offer after our last season
3. 2-3 bottom 6 fwds (possibly including 4th line centre) - Winnik, Prust, Staubitz, Bernier, Gregory Campbell, Tanner Glass, Ryan Carter, Gaustad, Taylor Pyatt, Chris Kelly
Would really like to get Prust or Kelly with the others nice contingencies.
4. 1-2 bottom 4 d - Matt Carle, Rome, Bryan Allen, Hannan, Sarich
With Kaberle on the books for 2 more years it makes this tricky but Matt Carle would be really nice and I think only one of Diaz/Kaberle/Weber can stay, so you'd pick 2 d here. Like Rome a lot too.

Team Needs
-no 1 centre
-elite talent at fwd
-shutdown d
-better quality bottom 6
-more depth and young prospects at g
-more size, strength, skating, mobility at d
-elite prospects

2012-2013 Roster

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Bourque/UFA - Plekanec - Gionta
Moen - Eller - UFA/Bourque/Leblanc/Gallagher
Geoffion/UFA - White/UFA - White/UFA
White/UFA

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Kaberle/UFA - UFA/Diaz
UFA/Weber/Diaz

Price
Budaj

Trades
I'd look to move Kaberle and Gomez obviously, but would be inclined to keep Kaberle before buying out if an acceptable deal came along. As a bottom pair d man playing 15 mins and 2nd pp he could have some value as a 30-40pt d man. Gomez doesn't look to have any value so I would think a trade would be unlikely. I would be sending Gomez to Hamilton or Europe or Alaska for the next 2 years. No buyouts.

I'd look to move Weber and Diaz for picks or prospects that are not as far along in their development but with potentially higher ceilings, prospects with playing styles more suited to our team needs or direction, or draft picks. I would replace them in FA and potentially promote St Denis as a stop gap (also the chance one of Tinordi, Ellis, Beaulieu surprizes and pushes for a job as well).

Old
05-28-2012, 07:25 PM
The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by goman View Post
Nice, thought out post. I agree with most of your comments and especially agree with adding some bottom six depth, targetting a big fish for the top six, and if they don't land one- getting one of the second tier guys on a short deal.

I think Jagr would be a cool option as he doesn't tie the team down with big money or long years. It would also be a nice gesture to a player like Plekanec after the **** he had to go through last year.

The only thing I don't like about your post is the mention of Chris Kelly and Gregory Campbell. Bruins are the worst.

Old
05-30-2012, 02:45 PM
firewagon77*

trade 3rd overall pick for RFA evander kane,trade emelin,ellis,eller for big center sean couturier flyers need defense with pronger injury.trade plekanec,markov,kristo,white,to san jose for burns clowe,and tough guy brandon mashinter,try and trade for right handed center like dave bolland who bergevin knows well from chicago try and sign ufa like brandon prust for 3rd line. develop young players like gallagher and belieau in jr and minors.

Old
05-30-2012, 02:58 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC93 View Post
Nice, thought out post. I agree with most of your comments and especially agree with adding some bottom six depth, targetting a big fish for the top six, and if they don't land one- getting one of the second tier guys on a short deal.

I think Jagr would be a cool option as he doesn't tie the team down with big money or long years. It would also be a nice gesture to a player like Plekanec after the **** he had to go through last year.

The only thing I don't like about your post is the mention of Chris Kelly and Gregory Campbell. Bruins are the worst.
I wouldn't care about big money on Jagr, if Gomez can be removed from the equation in some way the Habs will have lots of cap space. He won't want more than 1 year either.

Old
05-30-2012, 05:46 PM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Draft
I would draft one of the big centres, or if somehow he fell, Yakupov. I haven't watched any of these guys play but I've read a good amount and it seems Grigorenko has really dropped off after being the early favourite. Inconsistency is what I keep hearing, and that scares me, as I'm sure it scares a lot of people. If you're going after a centre, it's because you want to bring more stability and leadership from the middle. You want a star pivot, a real no. 1 centre like a Getzlaf or Staal or Sedin or Kopitar.

So probably not Grigorenko, more likely Galchenyuk or maybe Forsberg. It seems the idea is Galchenyuk is maybe more ready but coming off a serious injury so who knows? Forsberg seems to have a lot you'd desire in a no. 1 c but it's sometimes difficult predicting how SEL success will translate to the NHL. Not that CHL to NHL is a surefire thing either but the style of play is more similar, though probably at a lower level. Certainly a less developed level. So, it's a toss up between those two. I have no idea but I'd say it's more likely they'll make a good choice here than a bad one.

The other possibility is you don't think any of these guys are no 1 centres, more likely good 2nd line centres, which we seem to be flush with - Plekanec, Desharnais, Eller all pretty much topping out as 2nd line centres (remember when we resigned ourselves to believing Gomez would at least included in this group). And maybe then you take the opportunity to instead fill out the defense a little and take a Murray or one of the other defenseman (I'd be more inclined to take an all around or shut down defender to an offensive d-man).

You'd have to like another young stud coming up to give a d of Murray, Subban, Gorges, Emelin, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis.

But if there's a no. 1 centre in this draft I say take him. You play this season out with Plekanec - Desharnais - Eller - White and maybe Forsberg/Galchenyuk and then see where you're at at the trade deadline perhaps, if Desharnais Eller or Forsberg/Galchenyuk has made a real statement they can play a bigger role now you can think of moving one of them for something else. Or you transition one to the wing. Most people hate the idea of Eller moving to the wing but I also heard he played wing at the WCs and did well there.

Past the first pick I'd look to add more depth at every position, especially in goal but we could use help everywhere. Seems we're still a little small upfront and lacking in much high impact potential. Lots of picks this year and from a good position, this should be a very good year at the draft for us. I could see us packaging a couple picks to move up here and there. Bet the scouts are licking their chops right now. Too bad Dudley can't work on the draft. I don't follow prospects before the draft much so I don't have anyone on my wish list.

Coach
Tough one. Sometimes it takes a vet coach who knows how to win to turn a franchise around, and sometimes it's a young coach, and a new perspective to get a team going. I think the big thing is instilling a winning atmosphere and winning practices and attitudes. I'm really excited about this decision. I think, more than anything this may go a long way to defining this new management. It may also show how much autonomy Bergevin has.

UFA
No reason to not go all in for both Suter and Parise. There'd be no choosing one over the other, we could use both immensely and if we could get them both we should. Both are proven commodities and possess a few of the things we need most - elite talent and game-breaking ability at fwd and a shutdown d-man. Both are young enough that they could be a major part of turning this franchise into a champion and perennial contender.

I don't think our chances are very good on either one, but this is the time to show the direction of the club, if you can get them, get them.

Moen - re-sign, 3-5 years, big part of the team, every reason to keep him as a 3rd/4th liner
Staubitz - toss-up, could have him back or replace him with someone similar but perhaps a little more capable of playing a regular shift like Prust
Campoli - no offer

Targets...
Past Parise and Doan, I don't know that I'd want to do more than a 1-2 year deal on any of the other 3 which would probably leave us out of Semin and Parenteau and Jagr would be be a longshot - though it sounds like he might not re-sign in Philly, Montreal may not have enough to offer after our last season
3. 2-3 bottom 6 fwds (possibly including 4th line centre) - Winnik, Prust, Staubitz, Bernier, Gregory Campbell, Tanner Glass, Ryan Carter, Gaustad, Taylor Pyatt, Chris Kelly
With Kaberle on the books for 2 more years it makes this tricky but Matt Carle would be really nice and I think only one of Diaz/Kaberle/Weber can stay, so you'd pick 2 d here. Like Rome a lot too.

Team Needs
-no 1 centre
-elite talent at fwd
-shutdown d
-better quality bottom 6
-elite prospects

2012-2013 Roster

White/UFA

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Kaberle/UFA - UFA/Diaz
UFA/Weber/Diaz

Price
Budaj

Trades
I'd look to move Kaberle and Gomez obviously, but would be inclined to keep Kaberle before buying out if an acceptable deal came along. As a bottom pair d man playing 15 mins and 2nd pp he could have some value as a 30-40pt d man. Gomez doesn't look to have any value so I would think a trade would be unlikely. I would be sending Gomez to Hamilton or Europe or Alaska for the next 2 years. No buyouts.

I'd look to move Weber and Diaz for picks or prospects that are not as far along in their development but with potentially higher ceilings, prospects with playing styles more suited to our team needs or direction, or draft picks. I would replace them in FA and potentially promote St Denis as a stop gap (also the chance one of Tinordi, Ellis, Beaulieu surprizes and pushes for a job as well).
Forsberg is a winger.

Parise and Suter are problably not gonna sign here so Id give my best to sign Doan and Stuart/Carle/Garrison

Old
05-31-2012, 09:22 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeypuck191 View Post
trade 3rd overall pick for RFA evander kane,trade emelin,ellis,eller for big center sean couturier flyers need defense with pronger injury.trade plekanec,markov,kristo,white,to san jose for burns clowe,and tough guy brandon mashinter,try and trade for right handed center like dave bolland who bergevin knows well from chicago try and sign ufa like brandon prust for 3rd line. develop young players like gallagher and belieau in jr and minors.
Your post is full of lots of WTF

Old
06-02-2012, 07:59 PM
habsrule22

what about
cole-desharnais-patch
semin-pleks-gionta
bourque-eller-andrei
moen-white-blunden

markov-emelin
gorges-subban
kaberle-(physical D)
Diaz

price

Old
06-02-2012, 08:05 PM
OpenIceHit

Would you guys trade your 3rd and 33rd overall draft pick to the Oilers for their 1st overall (Yakupov)?

Old
06-02-2012, 08:07 PM
FF de Mars

Roy as a headcoach

Radulov-Grigorenko-Semin
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Moen-Geoffrion-White

Subban-Gorges
Emelin-Markov
Tinordi-Kaberle

Price

Old
06-02-2012, 08:21 PM
habsrule22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
Would you guys trade your 3rd and 33rd overall draft pick to the Oilers for their 1st overall (Yakupov)?
no i d do the 3 rd and a player

Old
06-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
Roy as a headcoach

Radulov-Grigorenko-SeminPacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Moen-Geoffrion-White

Subban-Gorges
Emelin-Markov
Tinordi-Kaberle

Price
Character filled first line.

Old
06-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Roy as a headcoach

Radulov-Grigorenko-Semin
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Moen-Geoffrion-White

Subban-Gorges
Emelin-Markov
Tinordi-Kaberle

Price
I'd be okay--although not a big fan of--draftin Grigorenko with our 1st round draft pick. That said, surrounding him with Semin and Radulov is just asking for trouble.

Old
06-02-2012, 08:57 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Roy as a headcoach

Radulov-Grigorenko-Semin
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Moen-Geoffrion-White

Subban-Gorges
Emelin-Markov
Tinordi-Kaberle

Price
Thanks for the laugh, i kinda needed it
Not 1 but 3 questionable russians in the top 6?

Old
06-02-2012, 09:02 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Character filled first line.
That line oozes with talent. Grigo is the wizard, Semin the sniper, and Radulov KHL's brightest star. Imagine having a Russian quintette determined to proove the stereotypes wrong. The amount of discrimination towards Russians is extreme and radical. We should use it to our advantage. They are elite players who's stock is down because of the media and because of a narrowed down mentality. They are all bound to have an excellent season. We should go against the flow. It would pay off. Immensly.

Radulov-Grigo-Semin
Emelin-Markov

BTW Markov will make people eat crow this year. He'll be a big time contributor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
I'd be okay--although not a big fan of--draftin Grigorenko with our 1st round draft pick. That said, surrounding him with Semin and Radulov is just asking for trouble.
I believe it's overblown. They're professionals. Look at what LA is doing right now with Carter and Richards ? I'd sure want them on my team. Like Radulov and Semin.

Last edited by FF de Mars: 06-02-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old
06-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Takashi

Quote:
Draft

Coach

UFA

Campoli - no offer

Targets...

Team Needs
-no 1 centre
-elite talent at fwd
-shutdown d
-better quality bottom 6
-elite prospects

2012-2013 Roster

White/UFA

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Kaberle/UFA - UFA/Diaz
UFA/Weber/Diaz

Price
Budaj

Trades

Isn't Getzlaf lazy? and he is a true Leader, seriously?

Old
06-02-2012, 11:52 PM
Teufelsdreck

How? Trade well, draft well, jettison the dead weight. I leave it to management to implement these actions. Pipe dreams about acquiring unattainable players are futile. As we post, 30 GMs are trying to practice the art of the do-able

Old
06-03-2012, 09:49 AM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
How? Trade well, draft well, jettison the dead weight. I leave it to management to implement these actions. Pipe dreams about acquiring unattainable players are futile. As we post, 30 GMs are trying to practice the art of the do-able
Spot on! Although pipe dreams can lead to creative ideas and scenarios. Some GM's have orchestrated major shifts in their roster that could be branded as pipe dreams. Philly comes to mind.

Nonetheless, and I include myself in this one, many posters are putting Gomez on the sidelines. Yes, he was awful this year. Very awful. But if we put our Spock thinking caps he will still be on the roster this upcoming season.

And the main reason for this is to better break in the upcoming youth. My reasoning goes like this and targets the front-end of the roster:

1 Trade, 1 UFA, that's all.

== The trade: Get Huberdeau ==
Let Huber play with Leblanc and Gallagher in Hamilton next year. These three will jump on the Habs roster the following year with the departure of Gomez and Gionta.

Use our 3rd overall + other pics + prospects, just get it done.

== The free agent: ==
We need a top 6 winger with decent size and consistent effort. A winger that will bring not necessarily consistency in the scoring column but consistency in his play such as other wingers like Pacs and Cole.

== The roster ==

Pacs - Gomez - Gionta
--> Pacs leadership might restore Gomez and Gionta careers. The coaching change also will be a factor on Gomez effectiveness.

Bourque - DD - Cole
--> How can DD and Cole NOT stir the fire in Bourque

Pleks - Eller - UFA
--> AK, for me, was a beast playing with Eller. Adding Pleks to the mix would of made a solid line. You may think having Pleks on the wing is crazy, but Eller will never be a good winger. It will hinder his progress and potential to convert him at the NHL level. Pleks is over utilized and is out of gas by the end of the year. And in todays game, two capable centerman on a third line is no luxury. And tell me Pleks would not be a great mentor to Eller...

That sought out UFA has to round out the abilities of this line.

Moen - White - Geoffrion
--> We have a plethora of tools here. Staubitz, Blunden and even Engqvist (patience with him may bring a satisfying outcome). Gaustad would be overkill on the 4th line. Other UFA's could be brought in since White's effectiveness as a center can be questioned: Slater and McClement would be good examples.

== The next years ==

It's a do or die season for Gomez and Gionta, because the 2013-2014 season could bring:

Pacs - DD - Cole
Pleks - Eller - 2012 UFA
Leblanc - Huberdeau - Gallagher
Moen - UFA/White - White/Goeffrion

Old
06-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Joe Lamb

Let Huber play with Leblanc and Gallagher in Hamilton next year.

Huberdeau is too young for AHL . It is NHL or back to Junior .

Old
06-03-2012, 12:59 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lamb View Post
Let Huber play with Leblanc and Gallagher in Hamilton next year.

Huberdeau is too young for AHL . It is NHL or back to Junior .
No way Florida makes that deal, unless they are desprate for Murray. They are in the same division as us from now on.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:04 PM
angry pirate

I do love the idea of Offer sheeting Radulov this summer. We have 3 2nds in 2013 mitigating the 1st, 2nd, 3rd hit of an offer sheet in the 5M range.

Gionta - Plekanec - Radulov
Forsburg - Eller - Leblanc
White - Moen - Geoffrion

With decent wingers we'd easily see Plekanec return to 70 point form. We would have a true top six, a very good young 3rd line, and a bang and crash fourth line with a bit of toughness and grit. We are instantly a better team without gutting our roster and sacrificing our already shallow prospect depth.

Closed Thread