HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

You're the GM! How do you build the Habs for next season?

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Halifaxhab*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
I'd take a look at Jason Garrison, if not, trade for a defenseman.
the only problem I see with JG is he is going to be looking for the big payday, and I can't see us spending what he wants to get him. As far as a trade is concerned, it depends what we have to give up. If we can land Hjarlmesson for Weber + late pick sure. But if we need to give up someone like Plekanec to get a top end Dman, than I say no thanks for now and just sign a UFA dman short term.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Mad Habber

The type of D we need and are lacking isn't a type that hits along the board. Emelin, Subban, Gorges, even Diaz and Weber do this. The type we need is the type that'll knock you on your ass if stand in front of the net too long or take an extra shot. That's why Allen, Sarich, Souray are the guys that get mentioned. They all have limitations, mostly in mobility. But so did Gill and we were able to still give him a regular shift. Sometimes we get burned to the outside, but on a good defensive team, that gets minimized with forwards comining back.

We can always use a Suter, but let's face it, Suter is an upgrade over what we have (and he won't be coming here). He is not a missing ingredient. Allen, Sarich, Souray provide the missing ingredient to our D. I'm not saying get them all. We need one.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:44 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
So you keep the defense we finished 3rd to last with last year right ?
Thank goodness Bergevin doesn't see it this way.
I'm sorry, but how many games did Markov play last year?

Old
06-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Subban-Markov
Emelin-Gorges
Diaz-Kaberle
Weber

Is a very weak NHL defense, sorry.

So sofffff it's not funny. And guess what ? There is NO way in heck the Habs start the year with this defense.
If Markov is 80% of the palyer he once was it's at least an average NHL defense, and you haven't yet added a big 18-20 minute stay at home "crease cleaner".

Subban-Gorges
Markov-big stay at home d-man
Diaz-Emelin
Weber/St.Denis/Carkner?

That's an above average NHL defense with Diaz and Emelin playing 3rd pair and two strong pairs ahead of them.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:53 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If Markov is 80% of the palyer he once was it's at least an average NHL defense, and you haven't yet added a big 18-20 minute stay at home "crease cleaner".

Subban-Gorges
Markov-big stay at home d-man
Diaz-Emelin
Weber/St.Denis/Carkner?

That's an above average NHL defense with Diaz and Emelin playing 3rd pair and two strong pairs ahead of them.
Well then we are not talking about the same thing right ?

Because you are adding Carkner and a big stay at home D.

This is not why i wrote soft, the poster listed the same D we had last year.

Weber is all but gone. And St-Denis won't be in Montreal either.

So if our 9 Defenseman are Gorgy,Subby,Marky,Emelin,Carkner and UFA then i am happy.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Well then we are not talking about the same thing right ?

Because you are adding Carkner and a big stay at home D.

This is not why i wrote soft, the poster listed the same D we had last year.

Weber is all but gone. And St-Denis won't be in Montreal either.

So if our 9 Defenseman are Gorgy,Subby,Marky,Emelin,Carkner and UFA then i am happy.
LA won the cup with a group of puck movers and shot blockers, so I'm not too concerned. Mitchell and Scuderi are more shot blockers than big hitters. Greene is the physical element similar to Emelin. Doughty Johnson/Voynov Martinez are puck movers who don't run anybody over. They had some scrappers and bangers on the 4th line...but we also had that last year(Staubitz White Moen Blunden).

Old
06-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

There's someone I would add, a young player that plays for the Ducks, he's a gritty player as far as style and he's a Quebecer to boot. RDS did an interview with him last year when they visited California when thet went to meet Beauchemin. He mentioned his idol was pretty much the Rocket. Anybody knows who this guy could be?

Old
06-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
There's someone I would add, a young player that plays for the Ducks, he's a gritty player as far as style and he's a Quebecer to boot. RDS did an interview with him last year when they visited California when thet went to meet Beauchemin. He mentioned his idol was pretty much the Rocket. Anybody knows who this guy could be?
Maxime Macenauer is the guy they interviewed.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:16 AM
EveryDay

what's the deadline for buyout?

Old
06-29-2012, 12:35 AM
S Bah

If I was GM there would be open debate as to any approach or changes that can be made to get better,this would be done at least every week if nobody has thought of anything.

Old
06-29-2012, 05:27 AM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco88 View Post
what's the deadline for buyout?
Buyout period is June 15-30

Gomez won't be bought out without knowing the next CBA. He'll probably be sent down or to Europe.

Old
06-29-2012, 06:35 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Buyout period is June 15-30

Gomez won't be bought out without knowing the next CBA. He'll probably be sent down or to Europe.
Yeah I agree. I never thought for a second they'd buy him out anyways.

Unless they sign significantly better players than there's no reason to think the Habs won't get far better production for that 7.35 cap hit than 11 points in 38 games.

Even if it's 34 points in 77 games that is a big improvement.

But realistically I think Gomez will be gone, and if the cap floor is still there when the season starts I think he'll be moved. And the Habs won't give up any prospects or good draft picks.

Most like it's something like Gomez and a 3rd for Bouwmeester.

Old
06-29-2012, 06:37 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Anyone else think Beaulieu and Tinordi might both get at least 20 games next year?

Old
06-29-2012, 07:07 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
If I was GM there would be open debate as to any approach or changes that can be made to get better,this would be done at least every week if nobody has thought of anything.
Yeah, but if you were GM we would also trade all of the roster for draft picks every season....

Old
06-29-2012, 08:01 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Anyone else think Beaulieu and Tinordi might both get at least 20 games next year?
Only if we have a rash of injuries or serious performance issues with our regulars.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:46 AM
HabsSlappy

I would personally try to swing some trades for draft picks (even if later rounds) to let go of guys I don't see as long term players for the Habs, but I am going to assume that does not happen for the sake of this exercise.

I really think this season, Bergevin is going to try to sign a few UFAs to short term deals. We just need to buy some time until our youngsters are ready to go. One and two year deals would be ideal, so we must find guys who would like to come to Montreal on short deals. The one thing I could see him going longer term with is on defense. As he has said "you can never have enough defensemen."

Latendresse: He would come cheap and short term to prove that he can still play and take the physicality of the NHL. Also wants to be with his son. I would give him a 1 year/$1M deal and let him play on the second/third line.

Jagr: Likely willing to take a one or two year deal and might cost a little more to come here. But we have plenty of cap space for short term deals and he may want to play with his buddy Plekanec. I would offer up to 1yr/$4M but would hope to get him for less.

Prust: I am sure that a lot of teams will be offering him a contract. But we should give it a shot. 2 or 3 years at max of $1.5M AAV.

Carle: It is nice to think that Emelin will play with Markov, but I think we should get a better option to play with Markov. Carle would be agood fit and create a very solid, puck moving top 4 of Subban, Carle, Markov, Gorges. This will likely take 6 years/$6M AAV.

Allen: We need a big defensive defenseman to help protect Price and to insulate Emelin or Kaberle. I think he is about the best that we could land this off season and can chip in a bit offensively. 3 or 4 years at $3.5 to $4M AAV should get it done.

FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
Jaromir Jagr ($4.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Guillaume Latendresse ($1.000m) / Lars Eller ($1.500m) / Rene Bourque ($3.333m)
Brandon Prust ($1.500m) / Petteri Nokelainen ($0.575m) / Ryan White ($0.688m)
Blake Geoffrion ($0.803m) / Aaron Palushaj ($0.735m)
DEFENSEMEN
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / P.K. Subban ($5.000m)
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Matt Carle ($6.000m)
Alexei Emelin ($1.400m) / Bryan Allen ($3.750m)
Raphael Diaz ($1.000m) / Tomas Kaberle ($4.250m)
GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.150m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,809,083; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $390,917

I think thats a pretty good roster. Our biggest weakness would have to be the third line however as you have questions marks with Lats and Bourque. Geoffrion and Palushaj can be decent injury replacements and have to go on waivers, so they should stay with the big club. Leblanc can spend a season developing in Hamilton and get a few cups of coffee if we need him.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:53 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
I would personally try to swing some trades for draft picks (even if later rounds) to let go of guys I don't see as long term players for the Habs, but I am going to assume that does not happen for the sake of this exercise.

I really think this season, Bergevin is going to try to sign a few UFAs to short term deals. We just need to buy some time until our youngsters are ready to go. One and two year deals would be ideal, so we must find guys who would like to come to Montreal on short deals. The one thing I could see him going longer term with is on defense. As he has said "you can never have enough defensemen."

Latendresse: He would come cheap and short term to prove that he can still play and take the physicality of the NHL. Also wants to be with his son. I would give him a 1 year/$1M deal and let him play on the second/third line.

Jagr: Likely willing to take a one or two year deal and might cost a little more to come here. But we have plenty of cap space for short term deals and he may want to play with his buddy Plekanec. I would offer up to 1yr/$4M but would hope to get him for less.

Prust: I am sure that a lot of teams will be offering him a contract. But we should give it a shot. 2 or 3 years at max of $1.5M AAV.

Carle: It is nice to think that Emelin will play with Markov, but I think we should get a better option to play with Markov. Carle would be agood fit and create a very solid, puck moving top 4 of Subban, Carle, Markov, Gorges. This will likely take 6 years/$6M AAV.

Allen: We need a big defensive defenseman to help protect Price and to insulate Emelin or Kaberle. I think he is about the best that we could land this off season and can chip in a bit offensively. 3 or 4 years at $3.5 to $4M AAV should get it done.

FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
Jaromir Jagr ($4.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Guillaume Latendresse ($1.000m) / Lars Eller ($1.500m) / Rene Bourque ($3.333m)
Brandon Prust ($1.500m) / Petteri Nokelainen ($0.575m) / Ryan White ($0.688m)
Blake Geoffrion ($0.803m) / Aaron Palushaj ($0.735m)
DEFENSEMEN
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / P.K. Subban ($5.000m)
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Matt Carle ($6.000m)
Alexei Emelin ($1.400m) / Bryan Allen ($3.750m)
Raphael Diaz ($1.000m) / Tomas Kaberle ($4.250m)
GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.150m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,809,083; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $390,917
You are underpaying on Prust Latendresse and Jagr, I doubt you would get any of the 3 with those offers, you'd have to add 500k-1mil/year to all 3. Prust will get around +-2 mil/year for 2-3 years. Latendresse we'd probably get him at 1.5-2 mil for 1 year. Jagr is more in the 5-5.5 mil range.

I think you are overpaying for Carle, Phillie was offering 4.5-4.75/year for 4-5-6 years, I think he is worth 5-5.25/year max. Not sure he fits what we need.

Also I think giving 3-4 years and 3.5-4 mil/year is not necessary for Allen. Last yaer he signed for 1 year 2.9 mil, this year's UFA market is deep on stay at home d-men, not so much in skill guys. 2 years 6-7 mil total is the most I'd offer. Maybe 3 years at 9.

Old
06-29-2012, 09:11 AM
hockeyfan2k11

6M for Matt Carle? woaaaaaaah

Old
06-29-2012, 09:12 AM
HabsSlappy

Quote:
You are underpaying on Prust Latendresse and Jagr, I doubt you would get any of the 3 with those offers, you'd have to add 500k-1mil/year to all 3. Prust will get around +-2 mil/year for 2-3 years. Latendresse we'd probably get him at 1.5-2 mil for 1 year. Jagr is more in the 5-5.5 mil range.

I think you are overpaying for Carle, Phillie was offering 4.5-4.75/year for 4-5-6 years, I think he is worth 5-5.25/year max. Not sure he fits what we need.

Also I think giving 3-4 years and 3.5-4 mil/year is not necessary for Allen. Last yaer he signed for 1 year 2.9 mil, this year's UFA market is deep on stay at home d-men, not so much in skill guys. 2 years 6-7 mil total is the most I'd offer. Maybe 3 years at 9.
I really don't think Jagr ends up with that much...maybe 4.5M max.

Lats hasn't played in 2 years and likely not going to be insurable. Sure maybe you can bump him up $500K if you want, but he has very little bargaining power as he has pretty much narrowed his team choices to Ottawa and Montreal to be close to his son and has to prove himself.

If Prust costs that much than he can GTFO, lol. There are other guys who are very comparable.

If we can get Allen and Carle for less then I would be happy, but the tax situation usually means we have to overpay.

Either way, I am not a capologist and if I am 500K too high or too low on different guys it is all going to equal out and fit under the cap. Those are the players I would like to see though.

Old
06-29-2012, 09:13 AM
HabsSlappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
6M for Matt Carle? woaaaaaaah
5.25M for Wideman in the most tax advantageous Province in Canada. Is $6M really that far off in Montreal for Carle?

Old
06-29-2012, 09:48 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
5.25M for Wideman in the most tax advantageous Province in Canada. Is $6M really that far off in Montreal for Carle?
Just because Calgary overpaid does not mean the Habs need to. Carle is not a good dman. How in the hell does he deserve $6M?

Old
06-29-2012, 09:59 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Just because Calgary overpaid does not mean the Habs need to. Carle is not a good dman. How in the hell does he deserve $6M?
Carle is good, but not worth anythiung close to 6 mil to the Habs long term. We have young d-men on the way. The only d-man worth over 6 mil on the market is Suter and he will pick his team. I'd still throw him a big offer(same for Parise) but it's a longshot.

On defense our best bet is 2.5-4 mil short term on a stay at home guy to protect against relying too much on Emelin and Tinordi the next 2-3 years. If those guys surpass this player he can be moved as long as his contract is short and not ridiculously paid.

Old
06-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Prust already turned down 3 years @ 1.8 million. So your offer isn't 'giving it a shot', it's making him laugh.

So, in your line up, you're not getting Prust, Jagr or Latendresse. So, what then? Bourque on the second line, White and Geoffrion on the 3rd?

Old
06-29-2012, 10:13 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Carle is good, but not worth anythiung close to 6 mil to the Habs long term. We have young d-men on the way. The only d-man worth over 6 mil on the market is Suter and he will pick his team. I'd still throw him a big offer(same for Parise) but it's a longshot.

On defense our best bet is 2.5-4 mil short term on a stay at home guy to protect against relying too much on Emelin and Tinordi the next 2-3 years. If those guys surpass this player he can be moved as long as his contract is short and not ridiculously paid.
I think you have to at least kick the tires on Parise and Suter.

I'd rather a bryan allen type over Carle (you think he's good, though?)...but he'll probably make a killing come july 1st.

Old
06-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I think you have to at least kick the tires on Parise and Suter.

I'd rather a bryan allen type over Carle (you think he's good, though?)...but he'll probably make a killing come july 1st.
Yep, offer them 10 year deals for around 75-80 mil front loaded(10 mil/year x 7 or 8 years then drop to 2-3 mil). If nothing else but to force the Minnesotas St.Louises and Detroits or whoever to pay them top dollar.

I think Salvador may be the best fit, 2 years 7.5-8 mil but he may get more because of his playoffs.

Closed Thread