Notices

Dougie Hamilton, NHL Ready?

Old
05-09-2012, 06:21 PM
ODAAT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
Don't overthink it man-- Dougie's a smart kid and will be fine.

The Bruins do not control his development if they let him go back to the OHL and there's the rub...end of story.

This isn't hard, guys. Just look at the Seguin model and you have your answer.
I like that answer, you know me, I`ll complicate the heck out of a straight line

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:22 PM
TooMuchMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Do you also think too that Boston is such a great starting point for him with the system that they employ Juicy???? I have heard many refer to how Defenceman friendly it is, not an easy system to get used to quickly but once you do it seems to be recognized as being exceptionally friendly to the D??
I think that it makes perfect sense for them to bring him to Boston. As Kirk puts it, they can control his development and ease him into NHL duties. The excellent blue line leadership in the Hub doesn't hurt one bit ... and while CJ's system might be upping the degree of difficulty, Hamilton has the intelligence to make it work.

TooMuchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:33 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy Rebound View Post
I think that it makes perfect sense for them to bring him to Boston. As Kirk puts it, they can control his development and ease him into NHL duties. The excellent blue line leadership in the Hub doesn't hurt one bit ... and while CJ's system might be upping the degree of difficulty, Hamilton has the intelligence to make it work.
Can`t wait, should be fun until some here start with the "how many pts does Dougie get this year" thread with the lowest number being 40

Old
05-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
Again, ineligible to play in the AHL due to age (have to be 20+ prior to the start of the AHL season)

Larrson will be fine, and so will Dougie.

BTW, if you're worried about Larrson, Im not sure why you would want Dougie playing here. Larrson was physically ready for the NHL, Dougie...not so much (right now) and he will very likely go through the same growing pains that Larrson has so far
Was Larsson drafted out of the CHL or out of Europe? If he was drafted out of Sweden the 20 year rule doesn't apply.

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:46 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Was Larsson drafted out of the CHL or out of Europe? If he was drafted out of Sweden the 20 year rule doesn't apply.
Swedish elite league right? That's cool I did not know that. Think he did just fine with the big boys either way

KnightofBoston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
This.

However, I do believe Larsson had an NHL or back to SEL clause in his agreement- he would not have played in Albany in any case.

Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:48 PM
ODAAT

Any guess at whom they think would be best to be paired with our boy Dougie when he gets his chance?? The natural response may be Z but I think a guy like Seids may be a better bet??

Old
05-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiccy McHaggis View Post
Zanon was pretty awful too...
Wow! That just burst some posters' bubble. Some of us only discovered Zanon and Mottau after the trade deadline.

I would rather have a rookie make a team by how well he plays over how bad someone else plays.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty

I'm not sure if he's 100% ready for the NHL, but he's 300% done with the OHL. Can't learn anything else there.

Bring him up.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 02:12 AM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

Quote:
Any guess at whom they think would be best to be paired with our boy Dougie when he gets his chance?? The natural response may be Z but I think a guy like Seids may be a better bet??
I actually thought about this a lot over the year

Chara-Boychuk
Hamilton-Seidenberg
McQuaid-Ference

Sounds right to me, keep last years pairings, but replace Corvo with Hamilton. The handedness matches up too

Pay Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:13 AM
panny2727

I actually think that all these guys needed rest and to hit the weight room. Seguin didn't really get to bulk up too much last summer. with this early exit hopefully all these young guys can get stronger this summer and put on 15-20 pounds and be ready for camp.

panny2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:57 AM
GoBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
Again, ineligible to play in the AHL due to age (have to be 20+ prior to the start of the AHL season)

Larrson will be fine, and so will Dougie.

BTW, if you're worried about Larrson, Im not sure why you would want Dougie playing here. Larrson was physically ready for the NHL, Dougie...not so much (right now) and he will very likely go through the same growing pains that Larrson has so far
Didn't Larson come from the SEL meanig he would be eligible to play in the AHL?

Edit: my bad missed that it was already adressed.

GoBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:59 AM
Afam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConn126 View Post
He's gotta at least be better than Corvo already.
i agree.corvo sucks

Afam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 06:10 AM
TCL40

I think Dougie is kind of in the same boat Seguin was his rookie season. He has gone about as far development wise in the OHL although would probably do better in the AHL getting used to playing with adult men, but that isn't a choice so he will get some ice time on the Boston team, but will probably also see a lot of pressbox time.

I also think that maybe it is time for the NHL and Juniors to figure out a better plan than the current one for the kids who have topped out in juniors but aren't quite NHL ready but what they need to get NHL ready juniors isn't going to be able to give them-and that is experience playing with adult men.

My prediction is Dougie is going to be in Boston next season, but what he will really need would be a year in the AHL which isn't an option.

I also think Dougie may surprise us and be more ready for the NHL than we think.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:09 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by panny2727 View Post
I actually think that all these guys needed rest and to hit the weight room. Seguin didn't really get to bulk up too much last summer. with this early exit hopefully all these young guys can get stronger this summer and put on 15-20 pounds and be ready for camp.
Seguin put on 10 pounds of muscle last summer, came back and tripled his point output

But yes, he will get even bigger, just don't count on another 15-20 pounds

KnightofBoston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:01 AM
BobbyAwe

Quote:
anyone know what's his size right now? Hockey futur writes on Dougie's page that he could be 6'6.
More importantly, what does he weigh now? Latest I can find on it is he's still under 200lbs.

BobbyAwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Hamilton will enter camp with a job to lose. If he has a bad camp or something weird and unexpected happens that hurts his development between now and then, then he could wind up back in ohl. We have all seen that happen in the past, but even an average showing at camp will let him start the season on the big team.

I guess the last few times we had kid dmen with this much buzz around them out of their draft class would be Lars Jonnson and Kyle McLaren and Glen Wesley and going way back we have Gord Kluzak. We put three of these kids in right away and none suffered from it. The other kid didn't come over and never panned out. Maybe Johnathan Aitkens might be another high drafted kid that had some buzz around him but he was taken in such a weak draft class that I am not sure if he was ever considered that elite. Nicholas Boynton re-entered the draft when we nabbed him with a high pick.. and he didnt benefit from his extra 2 years kicking around the minors either.

for out history... when we take a dman in the top of the draft, it has never been beneficial to us to bury him in some junior league. All of our self-developed kids were put into the fire right away. I mean even go back to Raymond Bourque and Brad McCrimmond. I dont know if Dougie Hamilton is going to be as good as these guys in his rookie year {i guess I doubt he will be} but all of our history shows that this is one franchise that always has better luck rushing their kid dmen into the league rather then letting them bounce around the minors/juniors for extra years.

I heard his coach the other day saying that Hamilton is ready right now to be manning the point on the PP with Chara next year. Everything I have learnt from following this team fantatically for 35 years now tells me that he is going to get the chance to prove it. You can put his name in ink for projected starting lineup opening night next year.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
I wish maybe we could move out Boychuck and his cap hit and bring in a really smooth left handed shot vet dman with wheels to play with Hamilton over the next couple years of Hamilton's development.

I really like the idea of letting Seidenberg and Chara play together day in and day out to learn each other like the back of their own hands... really get some super chemistry going so that when playoffs roll around these two are ready to take on anything they have to face.

If we could somehow flip Boychuck in some sort of package for a Jay Bouwmeister type or if we could throw enough money at a Ryan Suter type and put a guy like this with Hamilton in the second pairing then we'd be sitting soooooooooo pretty. I know it would eat a ton of cap space but imho it would be worth it. We'd get the advantage of having a huge matchup advantage with such a super strong second pairing and having a real premium shut down guy like this out on the ice with the kid, would be able to cover up so many of the kid's mistakes that it could protect the confidence... allow for the natural development of the puck skills and the willingness to take some chances offensively.

Ference is a good guy to keep around for his leadership skills in a bottom pairing. McQuaid provides necessary toughness to the D core cause you don't want the top 4 guys having to fight.

There's a ton of bubble guys that could step up and make Ference expendable over the next couple years... one of them will be fine as a 7th dman for this year so I definitely think the team should consider moving Boychuck if a Bouwmeister type is available to be brought in as a more natural fit for Hamilton's mentor.

if however there is no trade/ufa signing available then I agree with you that the next most logical plan would be to play Hamilton alot with Seidenberg... play Boychuck with Chara... and when Hamilton needs to sit, end up double shifting Seidenberg some to fill in the missed shifts. Chara usually ends up playing some with everyone anyhow and would play alot more mins per night then either Boychuck or Hamilton anyhow

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 06:53 PM
TCL40

Pretty sure Boychuk's new contract has a no movement clause.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 07:04 PM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Please Dougie, pick any number but #6 ...

MillerTime 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
I think that expectations should be kept in check and not expect too much in year one from Dougie. He will one day be dominant but I just don't believe it'll be 2012-2013. Kid will need an adjustment period and will have growing pains.

Often I hear/read people saying how he will come in and immediately solve the Bruins powerplay woes. Niagara had the best powerplay through the regular season and is now a measly 1 for 9 since game 1 of the OHL finals. Point: He CAN'T do it alone.

I believe he'll be the number 6 maybe the number 7 next season with some time upstairs watching.

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Ratty

Quote:
Hello guys, for those of you who already saw Hamilton play, what are his chances to crack the line up next season? i heard he's 6'6 feet tall now? From what i heard he's been impressive with the Dogs this season.
Spiccy; you are from St. Catherines, not too far from Niagara Falls, Ont., obviously a fan,with access to all the Ontario hockey media, even if you haven't seen him play, and you ask how tall he is and whether he's been impressive with the Ice Dogs?

Me thinks ye've had a wee dram too many of single malt with ye's haggis.

Ratty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
Spiccy; you are from St. Catherines, not too far from Niagara Falls, Ont., obviously a fan,with access to all the Ontario hockey media, even if you haven't seen him play, and you ask how tall he is and whether he's been impressive with the Ice Dogs?

Me thinks ye've had a wee dram too many of single malt with ye's haggis.
Good question. Add the fact that the Ice Dogs actually play in St Catherines and chances are you've probably bumped into him on the street somewhere over the last couple of years

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:53 PM
RI.B FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
Don't overthink it man-- Dougie's a smart kid and will be fine.

The Bruins do not control his development if they let him go back to the OHL and there's the rub...end of story.

This isn't hard, guys. Just look at the Seguin model and you have your answer.
Good old common sence

RI.B FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:04 PM
JOKER 192
Just Nuke It

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConn126 View Post
He's gotta at least be better than Corvo already.
He was better than Corvo two years ago.

JOKER 192 is offline   Reply With Quote