HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoff Ticket Prices & Availability (PART II)

Old
05-20-2012, 05:21 PM
ban

vCash: 500
When Rangers won in 94, I was mid 20's, good job, but did not even think of paying for Finals tickets. And I saw no problem with that. IMHO big games are for season ticket holders and "rich" people. Or friends of STH or rich people.

I went into city for both games 5 and 7, watched at Charlie O's in Penn Station, considered that close enough for an average guy. Ran out into streets after game 7 win, with all of the faithful, had a great time!

No regrets, no complaints that I couldn't get face value seats, just accepted life in the real world, and rolled with it.

If you can't afford it, do not worry about it, go and watch somewhere else and have a great time.

ban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:22 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
that is if 1 series goes the distance. If the Kings win Tuesday and the Rangers win the next 2, they'll start earlier. Probably next weekend.
That's just what I saw on Puck the Media. If both series hit 6 games, I'd say it would definitely be that.

05-20-2012, 05:26 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
That's just what I saw on Puck the Media. If both series hit 6 games, I'd say it would definitely be that.
Not necessarily. If they both end in 6 (rangers game 6 is friday, kings on thursday), I could see them starting on Memorial Day. I can't see them having both teams sit for 4 days.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:28 PM
goalie dude
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ban View Post
When Rangers won in 94, I was mid 20's, good job, but did not even think of paying for Finals tickets. And I saw no problem with that. IMHO big games are for season ticket holders and "rich" people. Or friends of STH or rich people.

I went into city for both games 5 and 7, watched at Charlie O's in Penn Station, considered that close enough for an average guy. Ran out into streets after game 7 win, with all of the faithful, had a great time!

No regrets, no complaints that I couldn't get face value seats, just accepted life in the real world, and rolled with it.

If you can't afford it, do not worry about it, go and watch somewhere else and have a great time.
well said man, I agree.. Accept all of my sports teams have been dysmal, Mets, Knicks, Rangers.. I've waited years for this, always played hockey and hockey's always been my #1 sport... God as my witness I WILL BE GOING to at least ONE stanley cup final game this year (if they do happen to make it...)

Ive been to game 7 vs ottowa, game 7 vs caps, and game 1 vs njd.. I'm self employed and make decent money, but still find it disappointing when the price gouging enters astronomical levels--- My post was made mostly in jest, I know nobody here is going to give me a handout on the premise of free beers.. I was just throwing it out there, if a fellow die hard on here offered me $400-500 and the first 3 rounds of beers for a game, and I paid only $200-300 for the ticket, I'd much rather give it to someone who would appreciate it and be excited about it, then someone who would offer me crazy money.. I guess i'm just a generous guy, I'd rather have someone be happy and enjoy a great moment... But hey, that's just me....

I hate when STH act like some entitled smug *******s, we get it, you have season tickets, congrats! I'm sure some of you inherited them from family or have families who are very well off and can help manage the payments/down payment-- On the other hand I'm sure the majority of the season ticket holders bust their ass 365 days a year supporting their family, bills, mortgages and still have the $ to get seasons.. I respect any season ticket holder the same, I'm just making a point... I'm not looking for sympathy or handouts, I've spent well over $2k in tickets on the playoffs alone, bringing my buddies and spotting them on tickets because I know they live for this **** and at the moment don't have enough to really blow on these, I guess it's my nature, maybe a downfall.. I'm too nice.. but we have one life on this earth and might as well enjoy it with people who enjoy it as much as you..

Not looking to start a flame war here, we're all on the same team guys.. relax!

Enjoy the weather it's beautiful out. Take a second and soak it in, it'll all be alright!

goalie dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:29 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Not necessarily. If they both end in 6 (rangers game 6 is friday, kings on thursday), I could see them starting on Memorial Day. I can't see them having both teams sit for 4 days.
Haven't they had extended breaks before the SCF in the past?

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:30 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie dude View Post
hey guys im not some occupy wall street hippie here save your condescending remarks for them. My comment was more in jest then anything, if I had an extra ticket and no1 wanted to come with or could afford it, I would sell it for face or a bit more then face on here to some die hard fan , and if they bought me some beers so be it, save me some money... Money is dirty paper, it comes and goes.. You guys need to relax and calm down.

I understand STH spend a lot, and I'm on the waiting list for ST for next year but most likely not going to be able to secure seats in the upper bowl with everyone up there renewing , I'm not looking for sympathy of a sob story was just throwing it out there ... why are you guys so vindictive ? just relax and enjoy the run.. Seriously. No pissing contest here, not looking to play the my debt is bigger then ur debt game , that ***** comical.. Let's get along here....

I really hope you guys aren't serious because you're coming across as dicks
Not really concerned about your opinion of me. Thought I would give you a lesson in economics/finance.

Old
05-20-2012, 05:33 PM
goalie dude
Rookie User

Hey Pat, I don't need a lesson in economics or finance, as the economics of our country are completely ****ed. Anyone who enters these fields are pawns keeping the cycle of ****ery well oiled and perpetually flowing..

When you get off your high horse maybe we can have a conversation, It seems you may have a bit of an inferiority complex, and I truly wish you one day resolve that-- for the time being though just enjoy the run and have fun, no1 asked for you to talk down to them

Old
05-20-2012, 05:33 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Haven't they had extended breaks before the SCF in the past?
Not sure. Generally once both teams have advanced to the finals, they give them 2 or so days off and then get started. If the building wasn't available, I guess it could change the schedule, but with the Knicks out and the Lakers and Clippers down 3-1 and 3-0, chance are it won't be an issue. Of course, it will also depend on what NBC wants.

Old
05-20-2012, 05:35 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Hey Pat, I don't need a lesson in economics or finance, as the economics of our country are completely ****ed. Anyone who enters these fields are pawns keeping the cycle of ****ery well oiled and perpetually flowing..

When you get off your high horse maybe we can have a conversation, It seems you may have a bit of an inferiority complex, and I truly wish you one day resolve that-- for the time being though just enjoy the run and have fun, no1 asked for you to talk down to them
inferiority complex? that's cute. have fun watching the games on tv or paying 3 times face so guys like me can go to later games for free!

Old
05-20-2012, 05:39 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
well said man, I agree.. Accept all of my sports teams have been dysmal, Mets, Knicks, Rangers.. I've waited years for this, always played hockey and hockey's always been my #1 sport... God as my witness I WILL BE GOING to at least ONE stanley cup final game this year (if they do happen to make it...)

Ive been to game 7 vs ottowa, game 7 vs caps, and game 1 vs njd.. I'm self employed and make decent money, but still find it disappointing when the price gouging enters astronomical levels--- My post was made mostly in jest, I know nobody here is going to give me a handout on the premise of free beers.. I was just throwing it out there, if a fellow die hard on here offered me $400-500 and the first 3 rounds of beers for a game, and I paid only $200-300 for the ticket, I'd much rather give it to someone who would appreciate it and be excited about it, then someone who would offer me crazy money.. I guess i'm just a generous guy, I'd rather have someone be happy and enjoy a great moment... But hey, that's just me....

I hate when STH act like some entitled smug *******s, we get it, you have season tickets, congrats! I'm sure some of you inherited them from family or have families who are very well off and can help manage the payments/down payment-- On the other hand I'm sure the majority of the season ticket holders bust their ass 365 days a year supporting their family, bills, mortgages and still have the $ to get seasons.. I respect any season ticket holder the same, I'm just making a point... I'm not looking for sympathy or handouts, I've spent well over $2k in tickets on the playoffs alone, bringing my buddies and spotting them on tickets because I know they live for this **** and at the moment don't have enough to really blow on these, I guess it's my nature, maybe a downfall.. I'm too nice.. but we have one life on this earth and might as well enjoy it with people who enjoy it as much as you..

Enjoy the weather it's beautiful out. Take a second and soak it in, it'll all be alright!
I started with seasons when I was 22, living on my own, and making $300/week as a cold caller. Reffed football and umpired baseball to make the money to pay for the tickets.

Old
05-20-2012, 05:40 PM
goalie dude
Rookie User

Ah whatever guys lgr

Last edited by goalie dude: 05-20-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old
05-20-2012, 05:45 PM
MessierIsGod

For some reason, I don't remember any die hard fans offering FV for that sharks game last October on a Monday night (even in jest). I think I took a big haircut for that and a couple of other October/early November games. If there was a guy that stepped up, I think I would remember that guy and ask to see if he wants a playoff game or two for face.

STHs here are all very fair for the most part. They take care of those who took care of them.

MessierIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:46 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:

ill be completely honest with you just so you know where im coming from.. i started in 06-07 with my season tickets as a senior in high school, working a summer job to pay for them.. same deal thru school. graduated college last spring and i am lucky enough to have a job to pay for them now.

i have 3 guys who buy a majority of my games during the regular season and ive given them a game at face each round. the other game ive sold for a huge profit to make ends meet and so i can go for free. im looking out for myself, to make sure i can continue to afford this. does that make me a dick to some? maybe.

but my thinking is, and dont take it personally, why would i want to help someone like you out from here who has never bought a game from me before, or bought one of those games like columbus on a tuesday in november for face value? why do you a favor when you've never done me one? thats my thinking and im honestly just looking out for myself, and its worked out just fine

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:49 PM
GloveSave35

Hey all. Hoping to maybe come into town next weekend (from Ohio) to try to catch a game. Trying to plan accordingly, which is difficult when the schedule isn't set. I know that a potential game 7 in this series would be Sunday. If we go 5 (as do the Kings) when do you guys think game 1 of the SCF would be? What if we go 6?

Just trying to get some travel plans in motion and figure out what 2 days in NYC would give me the best shot at seeing a game.

I know nothing is set... just looking for your best estimate. Thanks in advance.

GloveSave35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:50 PM
goalie dude
Rookie User

Trueblue I hear you 100%.. I agree, take care of the people who are your longtime buyers, I know how it works. I was just throwing it out there. I would have tried and got seasons years ago but was away at college (a mistake but save that for another story)

It doesn't make you a dick to make some money to take the load off your back, it makes you american. We have free capitalism here, and I don't mind it the slightest. My original post wasn't asking for freebies or donations, it was asking for face or a bit more then face from people on here, not a free ticket, not $50 tickets, not even face value tickets.. the beer thing was made in jest, but hey if someone offered me $250 a ticket plus 3 rounds of beers and I paid only $115 for the ticket, i'd consider it.. depending on how far in the hole i was money wise..

That being said, I'm a good guy, a great fan, and I respect anyone here who has seasons and have spent money getting them.. No hard feelings

I see both sides of the argument, and I see your point .. why help some shmuck who came out of the woodwork asking for tickets... I get it... Lets all get along

Old
05-20-2012, 05:56 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Not sure. Generally once both teams have advanced to the finals, they give them 2 or so days off and then get started. If the building wasn't available, I guess it could change the schedule, but with the Knicks out and the Lakers and Clippers down 3-1 and 3-0, chance are it won't be an issue. Of course, it will also depend on what NBC wants.
It's basically what NBC wants, it's why we have these afternoon playoff games on the weekend. If both series ended early, I'd take a guess and say games 1 and 2 are Monday and Wednesday with game 3 being Saturday out west. Gives the teams the extra day to travel plus avoids Friday which is typically known as being the deadest day ratings wise.

Old
05-20-2012, 09:01 PM
Blueshirt67

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierIsGod View Post
For some reason, I don't remember any die hard fans offering FV for that sharks game last October on a Monday night (even in jest). I think I took a big haircut for that and a couple of other October/early November games. If there was a guy that stepped up, I think I would remember that guy and ask to see if he wants a playoff game or two for face.

STHs here are all very fair for the most part. They take care of those who took care of them.
Funny how nobody wanted those Sharks tix, I think i lost a few bux on mine that night too. When ticket prices started going up in February and March, I only sold a few at face value to people who were buying games during the last 3 years when I was losing money regularly on tickets.

Its easy to say you would sell at face value to a true fan when you dont have a $600.00 charge every month for next year and another $1800.00 on the horizon if they win 2 more games. I've spent somewhere around 4000.00 on hockey tickets in the last 2 months. I'm thankful that I am able to afford this but it's not like I dont have debts I could be paying with this money. I'm not apologizing to anyone for making a few bucks on a couple of these games.

Blueshirt67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:26 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Prices slowly coming down for tomorrow night.

Old
05-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Blueshirt13

Quote:
Prices slowly coming down for tomorrow night.
also watch ticketmaster... they released tickets the day before and the day of

Blueshirt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 12:05 AM
mti79

Wow... this has gotten testy lately. I would love to buy tickets for some games but I'm scheduled to work during Games 4, 5, and 7. If by some chance we make the Finals, then I'll figure out a way to be at a game, if not more than that.

I understand completely that because I gave up my seasons 2 years ago (moved to Buffalo, totally not worth it to keep because I ate a few games a year and it killed) I will have to pay above face. I'm ok with that. If someone wants to give me a bit of a break, that's cool. If not, doesn't matter... I will get to one or more. If I have to call out of work, so be it. We haven't been this close in 15 years. I'm at a place where I have some extra money (would be more if I wasn't getting married soon) so I'll put a price point on myself. If I find seats, awesome. If not, I'll watch from home.

Let's Go Rangers!

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 01:33 AM
Problematique

It sounds like a good problem to have, the team is up and about filling out arenas.

Can you New Yorkers give an Aussie some details about these STH?
Is there a waiting list? How much do you have to pay for the season to be guaranteed playoff tickets? Does this include the final if the Rangers make it?

Problematique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 01:45 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Problematique View Post
It sounds like a good problem to have, the team is up and about filling out arenas.

Can you New Yorkers give an Aussie some details about these STH?
Is there a waiting list? How much do you have to pay for the season to be guaranteed playoff tickets? Does this include the final if the Rangers make it?
There's a waiting list for the upper bowl since it's cheaper than the lower bowl. If you wanted to become a season ticket holder in the lower bowl right now you could.

As long as you're a STH, you're guaranteed rights to your seats for every playoff home game but you have to pay for that separately. Playoff tickets cost almost as much as the entire season.

Old
05-21-2012, 06:30 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post

i have 3 guys who buy a majority of my games during the regular season and ive given them a game at face each round. the other game ive sold for a huge profit to make ends meet and so i can go for free. im looking out for myself, to make sure i can continue to afford this. does that make me a dick to some? maybe.

but my thinking is, and dont take it personally, why would i want to help someone like you out from here who has never bought a game from me before, or bought one of those games like columbus on a tuesday in november for face value? why do you a favor when you've never done me one? thats my thinking and im honestly just looking out for myself, and its worked out just fine
Me too. I have 3 guys to whom I have been selling for a few years now. One guy since the 2nd year I have had the tickets (99-2000) although he took a few seasons off when his wife was finishing her masters and he was studying for the CPA exam. The 3 guys take anywhere from 6-10 games, and a mix of a few popular games a few dead games (against the Panthers or oilers on a tuesday in november type games). They each got 1 game in the first and 2nd round, and one guy got a game in the 3rd. I couldn't go to either game 7 as I had plans long before the schedule came out, same for game 2 of this series, so why not take advantage of the market.

For everyone who wants to whine about secondary prices. If I go to buy a house and the owners want $400K. I find out they bought the house years ago for $175K, should I whine about their greedy mark-up? Why do they have to more than double their money? Can't a die hard NYer catch a break?

Old
05-21-2012, 06:32 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
Wow... this has gotten testy lately.
basically because we have a bunch of newbies (not just this goalie fella) who are on here for a month and complaining about secondary prices. Kind of annoying.

Old
05-21-2012, 07:12 AM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

Basically, if you don't like the prices then don't buy the tickets. HF members shouldn't feel compelled to be charitable simply because they are members of a forum. If they don't want to make a ton of money on the tickets that's great. If they do, that's no big deal - no one is forcing anyone to buy anything.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote