HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoff Ticket Prices & Availability (PART II)

Old
05-21-2012, 09:25 AM
GordonGecko
Coaching Fail

vCash: 364
Stanley Cup Finals presale should be this week, I'm guessing Wednesday. Has anyone else bugged their reps about making it a unique password sale? I'm trying to really get on him about this because if the code is "SEASON" or some BS like that again I'm going to go apesh** on the Rangers again

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Cliffy1814

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
basically because we have a bunch of newbies (not just this goalie fella) who are on here for a month and complaining about secondary prices. Kind of annoying.
Yeah. what gets me is terms like "Price Gouging:" that he used. In the world I live in it's called Supply and Demand. I took no issue with a post asking for a special deal (I'll ignore it), but there is no reason to disparrage a fellow fan who you don't even know in that manner IMO.

Pat or someone raised a great point about the Sharks game last year. I go one step further and think of the three preseason games I eat every year (up until last).

Many STH operate the way I do. I go to about 15 regular season and try to go to at least 50% of the playoff games and break even for the year and I am on pace to do that. So while some think STH are really making a fortune, all we are doing is trying to be able to afford to go to games themselves.

Cliffy1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 09:39 AM
TrueBlue42

Send a message via ICQ to TrueBlue42 Send a message via AIM to TrueBlue42 Send a message via MSN to TrueBlue42 Send a message via Skype™ to TrueBlue42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy1814 View Post
Yeah. what gets me is terms like "Price Gouging:" that he used. In the world I live in it's called Supply and Demand. I took no issue with a post asking for a special deal (I'll ignore it), but there is no reason to disparrage a fellow fan who you don't even know in that manner IMO.

Pat or someone raised a great point about the Sharks game last year. I go one step further and think of the three preseason games I eat every year (up until last).

Many STH operate the way I do. I go to about 15 regular season and try to go to at least 50% of the playoff games and break even for the year and I am on pace to do that. So while some think STH are really making a fortune, all we are doing is trying to be able to afford to go to games themselves.
As a quick question how well does that work out for you? Been debating the season ticket question for a few years now but I always think I still wind up ahead on the 2nd hand market (I had an absolute steal for game 1 of the ECF, even with Stubhubs fees factored in). I'm probably going to go to more than 15 games if I hold season tickets, but would like to lower my overhead if at all possible. I know this year is an exception to the rule (ECF and going strong baby!), though during the regular season I've seen a few series/games that spike ticket prices (anything vs Atlantic Div, Friday night games, etc).

Let's take a season like 09-10 where we struggled, and missed the playoffs on the stick of Jokinen, were you able to approach break even or at least get to a point where the games you went to it worked out to be below face on average? Not looking to make a profit on the year, I just want to go to more games at MSG on a similar budget to the one I had this year, even if that means cutting out the victory carbombs @ the Blarney next time around.

TrueBlue42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:07 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue42 View Post
As a quick question how well does that work out for you? Been debating the season ticket question for a few years now but I always think I still wind up ahead on the 2nd hand market (I had an absolute steal for game 1 of the ECF, even with Stubhubs fees factored in). I'm probably going to go to more than 15 games if I hold season tickets, but would like to lower my overhead if at all possible. I know this year is an exception to the rule (ECF and going strong baby!), though during the regular season I've seen a few series/games that spike ticket prices (anything vs Atlantic Div, Friday night games, etc).

Let's take a season like 09-10 where we struggled, and missed the playoffs on the stick of Jokinen, were you able to approach break even or at least get to a point where the games you went to it worked out to be below face on average? Not looking to make a profit on the year, I just want to go to more games at MSG on a similar budget to the one I had this year, even if that means cutting out the victory carbombs @ the Blarney next time around.
When the schedule comes out, I mark about 10 games as mine. I then email my 3 regulars first to confirm the # of games they want, and any days that are not good. 2 guys dont really want weekend, and 1 guy likes the weekend games as he has grandchildren he likes to bring. I then take what they want and put a package together for them, and once they confirm it is good, the tickets are theirs. I dont ask for $ until I have the tickets in hand. Once that is done, I usually have a total of about 20 games for me or to sell. I'll put some on the exchange and sell a few individual less popular games to random people who are only looking for 1 or 2 games. Since 1998, I have only eaten about 5 tickets total.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:08 AM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie dude View Post
well said man, I agree.. Accept all of my sports teams have been dysmal, Mets, Knicks, Rangers.. I've waited years for this, always played hockey and hockey's always been my #1 sport... God as my witness I WILL BE GOING to at least ONE stanley cup final game this year (if they do happen to make it...)

Ive been to game 7 vs ottowa, game 7 vs caps, and game 1 vs njd.. I'm self employed and make decent money, but still find it disappointing when the price gouging enters astronomical levels--- My post was made mostly in jest, I know nobody here is going to give me a handout on the premise of free beers.. I was just throwing it out there, if a fellow die hard on here offered me $400-500 and the first 3 rounds of beers for a game, and I paid only $200-300 for the ticket, I'd much rather give it to someone who would appreciate it and be excited about it, then someone who would offer me crazy money.. I guess i'm just a generous guy, I'd rather have someone be happy and enjoy a great moment... But hey, that's just me....

I hate when STH act like some entitled smug *******s, we get it, you have season tickets, congrats! I'm sure some of you inherited them from family or have families who are very well off and can help manage the payments/down payment-- On the other hand I'm sure the majority of the season ticket holders bust their ass 365 days a year supporting their family, bills, mortgages and still have the $ to get seasons.. I respect any season ticket holder the same, I'm just making a point... I'm not looking for sympathy or handouts, I've spent well over $2k in tickets on the playoffs alone, bringing my buddies and spotting them on tickets because I know they live for this **** and at the moment don't have enough to really blow on these, I guess it's my nature, maybe a downfall.. I'm too nice.. but we have one life on this earth and might as well enjoy it with people who enjoy it as much as you..

Not looking to start a flame war here, we're all on the same team guys.. relax!

Enjoy the weather it's beautiful out. Take a second and soak it in, it'll all be alright!
you went to game 7 vs ottowa, game 7 vs caps, and game 1 vs njd...???

You must be rich.

I wish I had the money to go to all those games.

If you are able to obtain any tickets for the SC at face pls contact me as I would be interested in going also.

ltrangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:12 AM
TrueBlue42

Send a message via ICQ to TrueBlue42 Send a message via AIM to TrueBlue42 Send a message via MSN to TrueBlue42 Send a message via Skype™ to TrueBlue42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post
you went to game 7 vs ottowa, game 7 vs caps, and game 1 vs njd...???

You must be rich.

I wish I had the money to go to all those games.

If you are able to obtain any tickets for the SC at face pls contact me as I would be interested in going also.
It helps to really be on top of Stubhub, I sat in 201 for Game 1 and paid 175 a ticket, expensive? relatively. (Paid that much for a regular season game, but was behind the bench. Paid double that to see Roger Waters at Izod.) Worth it? Every penny. The other tickets in that price range were all in the 400's and I snapped them up the second I saw them. (I tend to open SH on the day of a game and refresh the page every 5-10 mins looking for a deal.)

*EDIT -- With that being said, prices from HFers have never been unreasonable or out of the park, the guys here know what the market is and price accordingly, it's just I was in lurk mode forever, these can be a scary forum at times.

Old
05-21-2012, 10:15 AM
HagsSwag

The website Seatgeek dot com is a life saver for buying secondary market tix. I first saw about it on these boards, hopefully I didnt just do anything illegal by mentioning it.

HagsSwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:34 AM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
It helps to really be on top of Stubhub, I sat in 201 for Game 1 and paid 175 a ticket, expensive? relatively. (Paid that much for a regular season game, but was behind the bench. Paid double that to see Roger Waters at Izod.) Worth it? Every penny. The other tickets in that price range were all in the 400's and I snapped them up the second I saw them. (I tend to open SH on the day of a game and refresh the page every 5-10 mins looking for a deal.)

*EDIT -- With that being said, prices from HFers have never been unreasonable or out of the park, the guys here know what the market is and price accordingly, it's just I was in lurk mode forever, these can be a scary forum at times.
Actually I bought a set of tickets on Stubhub for game 1 against Washington. I sat in section 118 row 10 for $133. I was lucky that demand collapsed.

ltrangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:42 AM
GordonGecko
Coaching Fail

Quote:

Be mindful that next year face value tickets are going WAY up. Upper bowl will be between $53 and $150, with most being $53 or $73 (there will be some $49 and a couple rows of obstructed $29). That means that not only will it be harder to get back face, but that a lot more people will be competing to sell more games just to make ends meet.

That being said, with this playoff run demand for Rangers tickets next year will be way up. I think the higher prices will be a wash with the higher demand. It also helps that there's no preseason games for the next 2 seasons. You will have to put in some work though to sell your extra games, it's not like you can just sit back and not worry about them. You just have to eat a couple of games for it to no longer be worth your while.

And perks have been disappearing left and right, but at least they still have the fanfest, really looking forward to that this summer. I'm also looking forward to the skating party eventually coming back at MSG

Old
05-21-2012, 11:03 AM
elgato83

I have 6 tickets in Section 102, Row 25 for Game 5. Looking for Stubhub/Ticket Exchange prices but willing to knock it down a bit to get rid of the fees for both of us. These are hard tickets and I'm willing to split up into whatever denomination you need (even singles if necessary). PM me offers if you're interested

elgato83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Tikkanen10fan

If you bought tickets for every game you are not supposed to break even or make money! You went to the games..Why should you expect to get your money back? IF this is a problem give up the seats and let other fans buy them individually.

Quote:

Tikkanen10fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:34 AM
GordonGecko
Coaching Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen10fan View Post
If you bought tickets for every game you are not supposed to break even or make money! You went to the games..Why should you expect to get your money back? IF this is a problem give up the seats and let other fans buy them individually.
I think when most of us say break even / make money we mean on the tickets we sold. The ones we use obviously cost the number printed on the tickets

Old
05-21-2012, 11:47 AM
TrueBlue42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
I think when most of us say break even / make money we mean on the tickets we sold. The ones we use obviously cost the number printed on the tickets
I guess I should have been more clear about that. -_-

I have not a single dream of ever seeing a game for free, but I was more wondering that if I worked at it and sold games i wasn't interested in would I still be eating a loss on the games I didn't go to. Mostly because in my own second hand purchasing experiences I've never once paid face value for a game. I'm just wondering if it's a money sink to the point that I might as well just go to every game I can.

Old
05-21-2012, 11:56 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
I guess I should have been more clear about that. -_-

I have not a single dream of ever seeing a game for free, but I was more wondering that if I worked at it and sold games i wasn't interested in would I still be eating a loss on the games I didn't go to. Mostly because in my own second hand purchasing experiences I've never once paid face value for a game. I'm just wondering if it's a money sink to the point that I might as well just go to every game I can.
1) depends on your seats. More expensive are generally more difficult to sell for face.

2) depends HOW you sell. Do you want to try to sell the premium games for a profit and then still move the less popular games? If so, you'll have a hard time getting face for the less popular games. The issue is whether the premium you get on the better games balances that out.

Old
05-21-2012, 12:00 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
1) depends on your seats. More expensive are generally more difficult to sell for face.

2) depends HOW you sell. Do you want to try to sell the premium games for a profit and then still move the less popular games? If so, you'll have a hard time getting face for the less popular games. The issue is whether the premium you get on the better games balances that out.
Yeah you're gonna have to sell a fair share of both big games and dead games. It's also important if you have people you know that you can sell tickets to. Gives you less work to sell your tickets.

05-21-2012, 12:07 PM
goalie dude
Rookie User

I didn't know about this forum before this year, like I said .. judge me however you want, idc. I was never looking for handouts

goalie dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 12:21 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Yeah you're gonna have to sell a fair share of both big games and dead games. It's also important if you have people you know that you can sell tickets to. Gives you less work to sell your tickets.
Quote:

It also helps if you become friends with the people around you. The guys who sit to my right have become 2 of my very good friends. One was in my wedding party, the other I missed game 7 against the Caps to go to his 2 sons bar mitzvah. I sell tickets for them, probably 5-10 games per year and they usually sell 2-3 of mine for people looking for 4 seats.

Old
05-21-2012, 12:52 PM
goalie dude
Rookie User

It's very communal pat, the guy I've been buying from has 5 seats and been a season ticket holder for 30+ years so he cuts me pretty decent deals.. nothing like meeting a fellow die hard enjoying the game sharing the same passion

Old
05-21-2012, 01:01 PM
GordonGecko
Coaching Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie dude View Post
It's very communal pat, the guy I've been buying from has 5 seats and been a season ticket holder for 30+ years so he cuts me pretty decent deals.. nothing like meeting a fellow die hard enjoying the game sharing the same passion
at 30 years you get 25% off at the team store. After 40 years you get to pose for a picture at center ice. After 50 years, you get to hang out in the penalty box before a game, whatever that's all about. Honestly I'd rather get free concessions at any tenure level

Old
05-21-2012, 01:03 PM
Abooch68

hey guys my friends weren't able to make it anymore so I have some tickets for the viewing party available.. Message me..

Abooch68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 01:04 PM
goalie dude
Rookie User

yeah free food or beer would be epic but thats their bread&butter so theyd never do that

Team store is already huge profit margin

Old
05-21-2012, 01:05 PM
TrueBlue42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
at 30 years you get 25% off at the team store. After 40 years you get to pose for a picture at center ice. After 50 years, you get to hang out in the penalty box before a game, whatever that's all about. Honestly I'd rather get free concessions at any tenure level
I'd figure it'd be something like:

After 30 years you get one free cardiologist visit a season. After 40 one free a series. After 50 they have one on-site for you.

Not sure why anyone would really want to hang out in the penalty box, not really that grand for 50 years of serious dedication but hey it beats having nothing I guess. 25% off at the team store is kinda cool too, except I get most of my swag off nhl.com or from friends/family.

Old
05-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Cliffy1814

Quote:

Being a STH is really not a luxury I can afford, but I got tired of being the guy shelling out big money for playoff tickets, so I took the leap.

If you are expecting to go to every Flyers/Devils/ and weekend game you have no shot of breaking even.
I sell my fair share of "premium" games.

I sit in the 400's. I try to go to 10-12 games a year and break even
Last two years I was not able to make that happen , but this year I went to 15 Reg season and 4 of the 10 playoff playoff games and am dead even in other words "what I have paid for STH and playoff tickets, I have made back on the 26 reg season and 6 playoff games I have sold".

Cliffy1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Tikkanen10fan

Is Larry the only STH who goes to every game?
He should really be an employee and get his tix for free! He is sort of the team mascot

Tikkanen10fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen10fan View Post
Is Larry the only STH who goes to every game?
He should really be an employee and get his tix for free! He is sort of the team mascot
Rarely, but he does miss SOME games sometimes. Although he's probably at a good 95% of them, at least from what I've seen personally.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote