HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

A New Jersey vs. Phoenix Final.

Old
05-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Jossipov
Patty's Better

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanon View Post
Certainly wouldn't watch, but would cheer for Phoenix.
You wouldnt watch the SCFs? Really?
What is there a Sex in the City Marathon on?

I really cant wrap my head about this mentality at all.

Jossipov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 03:20 PM
King Henrique
¡ɹǝʌo s,ʇı ¡ǝnbıɹuǝɥ

anyone who wouldn't watch the Stanley Cup Finals is clearly not a fan of hockey.

King Henrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 03:31 PM
MartysBackup
Who wants Wawa?

The bigger the population, the more exciting the hockey.

Duh.

MartysBackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 03:33 PM
devilsarmy17

I'll Fly to Phoenix for below face value Cup tickets.

devilsarmy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 03:36 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jossipov View Post
Drew 1.5 million people, or were there 1.5 million people in Manhattan that day? To give you some perspective there were slightly less than 1 million people in the Times square area for New Years this year.

Ya, either delusional or cant count
http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=493985

or 100% correct

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 03:41 PM
WingsFan95

Quote:
Originally Posted by parise4mvp View Post
anyone who wouldn't watch the Stanley Cup Finals is clearly not a fan of hockey.
Yeah, cause I'm going to watch Games 1, Games 2 and Games 3 of two teams I have no feelings towards?

If it's an elimination game I'll probably watch, but don't act like a Wings fan living in Toronto should care about, say, a Devils vs. Kings final, etc.

I seriously have zero feeling towards any of the teams left but feel like it would be the ultimate troll for Phoenix to win.

WingsFan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Lundface*

It's pretty obvious the final will be LA and NYR. Yay for dream final, except I think it won't be the original 6 team winning this year.

Funny that Jersey would be the team that might make the final bearable. LA vs NYR would be something else, first team to score wins Insulate the **** out of the goalie and grind out a win. Love what the league has become

Lundface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 04:30 PM
Jossipov
Patty's Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Oh, well if the Rangers website says so.
Meh, ok hooray for bandwagon fans who probably thought the Rangers were a basketball team (How many did the Mets bring out when they won the World Series?...now that's some NYC Sports band wagoning). That you feel the need to look down on other teams based on how fabulous NYC parades are....well whatever floats your boat I guess.
You know what's cooler than having a big parade 20 years ago? Winning the cup 3 (4?) times since then.

Edit: Forget parades anyway. Throwing parties in the park with craft beers, DJs, and giant plates of food is how you celebrate!

Last edited by Jossipov: 05-13-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old
05-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Oak
Hockey Connoisseur

vCash: 397
Youd think the league would be a little easier on fighting considering how high ratings the Pens-Flyers series got. People I know who never watch hockey were talking about it. It was definitely exciting.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 04:59 PM
Riddum

For some reason, hockey fans still believe that NJ is the same team it was in 2003.

Riddum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Punkeater

I think it would be a good thing for the league and hockey in general to have a low profile team like Phoenix go to SCF. It would help revitalize Phoenix market and as much as I want the Nordiques back.

I think it will be done with expansion and not with Phoenix. The last team that won the Stanley cup last in the Big 4 is NJ. Rangers won in 1994. I'll probably be cheering for Phoenix just because of everything's going on there. Would be a great story to save their franchise with an unexpected Stanley Cup.

Punkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 05:51 PM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCantHandleMyRiddum View Post
For some reason, hockey fans still believe that NJ is the same team it was in 2003.
When you essentially perfect a particular style, that style of play is pretty much forever associated with you.

They don't play that way anymore. They can't. They don't have the horses on D to get it done. However, they do have the big guns on offense to push the pace in the offensive zone, which is what they now do. However, every hockey analyst from the beginning of the playoffs until the end has and will always talk about how the Devils are a suffocating defense first system. Except Pierre. As much as I think that guy is a total creep, he actually understands hockey and knows the Devils don't play that style anymore.

TheUnseenHand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 05:54 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27Niedermayer View Post
Why do people care so much about ratings and market sizes? None of you work for NBC or the NHL. The NHL is locked into a contract with NBC. Fans shouldn't care if a big market team makes the Finals or not (unless your team is a big market team).

If you don't have a team still alive, just root for the team that you think plays the most exciting brand of hockey to win and move on, not for the team that plays in a bigger market.
I wouldn't watch. Not excited over the prospect of watching either of these teams play for the cup. I'd probably tune in to the deciding games if I have nothing else to do and root for Mike Smith.. err.. the Coyotes

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 05:57 PM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
I wouldn't watch. Not excited over the prospect of watching either of these teams play for the cup. I'd probably tune in to the deciding games if I have nothing else to do and root for Mike Smith.. err.. the Coyotes
Out of curiosity, what exactly would make you more interested in a Rangers-LA final (or would you not be interested in that either)?

TheUnseenHand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 06:01 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

I still cannot believe that people think Jersey is less exciting to watch than the Rangers. Are you ****ing kidding me? New Jersey is the most exciting team left in the playoffs.

Stop living in the past.

(Oh, and btw, I'm a Sens fan)

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 06:39 PM
Moe Syzlak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
When you essentially perfect a particular style, that style of play is pretty much forever associated with you.

They don't play that way anymore. They can't. They don't have the horses on D to get it done. However, they do have the big guns on offense to push the pace in the offensive zone, which is what they now do. However, every hockey analyst from the beginning of the playoffs until the end has and will always talk about how the Devils are a suffocating defense first system. Except Pierre. As much as I think that guy is a total creep, he actually understands hockey and knows the Devils don't play that style anymore.
Why can't there be more posts like this? And why can't non-Devils fans actually read these instead of saying the Devils are "defense first"?

Moe Syzlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 07:03 PM
NJD21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Yeah, nothing quite as exciting as a pirouette and dive to the ice by Kessler, Burrows, or Luongo.

NJD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 08:05 PM
MyersMagic57*

The Devils are scoring on a pace of 3 goals per game right now. LA is just below them followed by Phoenix and Rangers have the lowest pace of goals per game in the playoffs.

A devils-phoenix series actually might be pretty entertaining and relatively high scoring as opposed to a Rangers-Kings SCF which would likely see a lot less scoring than a devs-yotes series

MyersMagic57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 08:12 PM
DownFromNJ

Seriously people, we don't have to invent new ways to bash the Devils every week.

There will be two teams in the final. Whether or not there's 20% more people watching because the Rangers or Kings are playing, it isn't all that much money in the grand scheme of things. The NHL measures its success in seasons, not individual series. The league is healthy and making money.

And seriously, the Devils are an offense-oriented, exciting team built on young, charismatic, highly skilled forwards, one of the best goaltenders of all time, and a classy, disciplined organization that is the envy of professional sports teams throughout the country. If the final is boring, it won't be because of the New Jersey Devils.

DownFromNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 09:07 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
I still cannot believe that people think Jersey is less exciting to watch than the Rangers. Are you ****ing kidding me? New Jersey is the most exciting team left in the playoffs.

Stop living in the past.

(Oh, and btw, I'm a Sens fan)
Pens fan rooting for the Kings agreeing.

The 2012 Devils are a far cry from the 2002 Devils.

NBC would absolutely hate that final, but the NHL probably wouldn't be shedding any tears. NBC is definitely rooting for New York-Los Angeles, though.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 09:40 PM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander Crews View Post
Do you actually think its braggable that your fans outnumbered another teams fans in your own building?????? Isnt that pretty much normal for every team ever?
Come on, it's something worth bragging about. Newark is in between NYR and PHI, two historic franchises.

Think about it like Ottawa -- in between Toronto and Montreal. Ottawa always gets invaded by Leafs fans and Habs fans when the respective teams play in Ottawa. It'd be a pretty big deal for Ottawa if they were able to outnumber Leafs fans (e.g., 80% Sens fans 20% Leafs fans) during a playoffs match-up between the two.

Not only is it the issue of proximity (Newark is pretty close geographically to NYC and PHI just like Ottawa is somewhat close to TOR and MTL), it's also the issue of the fanbase being split. North Jersey has a lot of Rangers fans and South Jersey has a lot of Philly fans. Again, similar to Ottawa. A lot of anglophones in Ottawa are still Leafs fans and a lot of francophones in Ottawa are still Habs fans.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 10:06 PM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
What's the big deal?

Since the first lockout, we've had:

1996: Colorado vs Florida
1999: Dallas vs Buffalo
2003: Anaheim vs NJ
2006: Edmonton vs Carolina
2007: Anaheim vs Ottawa

So what if one or both finalists are small hockey markets, it's still a SCF and it's not going to destroy the NHL.
Yea, and lets not forget Calgary vs Tampa

Old
05-13-2012, 10:07 PM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPuckChoo View Post
thats what frightens me about the NHL...

i feel its very taboo to talk about how Carolina, Tampa Bay and Anaheim won cups...

as if something was fixed...

and now you have Phoenix...

all this scares me mostly because i refuse to believe that the NHL would do this

the kid in me does not want to believe that its all business!
I hope you're being sarcastic, because three of the last four Cups were won by Original Six teams (Detroit, Chicago and Boston).

Old
05-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Jossipov
Patty's Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post

Not only is it the issue of proximity (Newark is pretty close geographically to NYC and PHI just like Ottawa is somewhat close to TOR and MTL)
What's worst is that's the understatement of the century. Ottawa is something like 200 miles from Toronto. New York City to Newark is about 8 miles. I dont think a lot of people from outside understand just how close the Rangers and Devils are geographically. It's not a road trip between arenas...it's a commute to work

Last edited by Jossipov: 05-13-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old
05-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Kings and Devils are the best forechecking teams left up and down the lineup. I expect them in the Finals.

Ralonzo is online now   Reply With Quote