HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

A New Jersey vs. Phoenix Final.

Old
05-13-2012, 11:06 PM
None Shall Pass
Got Carter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jossipov View Post
What's worst is that's the understatement of the century. Ottawa is something like 200 miles from Toronto. New York City to Newark is about 8 miles. I dont think a lot of people from outside understand just how close the Rangers and Devils are geographically. It's not a road trip between arenas...it's a commute to work
My friend summed up the distance quite brilliantly last night:

"I could poop in both arenas in an hour."

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:09 PM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
I hope you're being sarcastic, because three of the last four Cups were won by Original Six teams (Detroit, Chicago and Boston).
And the exception to that was one of the original expansion teams.

Stop with the conspiracy theories, people.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:17 PM
guitarguyvic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundface View Post
It's pretty obvious the final will be LA and NYR. Yay for dream final, except I think it won't be the original 6 team winning this year.

Funny that Jersey would be the team that might make the final bearable. LA vs NYR would be something else, first team to score wins Insulate the **** out of the goalie and grind out a win. Love what the league has become
If only the rest of us mere mortals had the hockey vision to see that it's "pretty obvious" who the winners of these conference final series are going to be.

guitarguyvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:48 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickSmehlik View Post
Talk about a nightmare scenario for the league if there ever was one.

This isn’t a fan base pile on thread. Both teams have die hard fans and I am not stating that if they both made the Finals, they wouldn’t deserve to be there but from a ratings stand point I couldn’t imagine a worse scenario for the NHL. Defensive hockey battles in two small markets would result in some low, low ratings.
I think the Rangers play a more defensive style than the Devils do.

Rangers and Coyotes both collapse in front of the goal and play 5 defensemen at a time.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:10 AM
LSnow

ive never understood why people here care things like these, " i want this match up because it makes most money for nhl" " i dont want this team here because it losts money for nhl" why people care so much does nhl get exposure or not or does it make money or not .. Unless it affects your team.. If i want some match up its because i think its entertaining for ME i really could care less unless it bankcrupts whole league..

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:44 AM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
ive never understood why people here care things like these, " i want this match up because it makes most money for nhl" " i dont want this team here because it losts money for nhl" why people care so much does nhl get exposure or not or does it make money or not .. Unless it affects your team.. If i want some match up its because i think its entertaining for ME i really could care less unless it bankcrupts whole league..
1. To some degree, sports is a social activity. At the very least, spectator sports has a social dimension to it. It's wonderful to go to your office and participate in office pools re: NHL playoffs; it's wonderful to have drunken debates with your mates about the sports you all follow religiously, etc.

To that degree, for whatever the social dimension of sports is worth, the popularity of the NHL is of concern to all of us. Even those of us who stylize ourselves as merely fans of the game itself, or merely as entertainment consumers.

2. You're out in Finland. You said you do not care if the league goes bankrupt. You have your own leagues to follow if the NHL does not exist tomorrow. Not the case on this side of the pond. We love this game and we want it to be healthy and flourishing. We may not all agree on what the best decisions are for that to occur (e.g., northern teams or southern teams? expansion, relocation or contraction? etc.); but we all love the game and we want it to exist. We want our children to watch the NHL and follow the teams we follow.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 06:24 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Let's be realistic -- the ratings would plummet.

It doesnt matter if the series is the greatest display of skill hockey since the 1987 Canada Cup -- New Jersey and Phoenix markets are two of the smallest in the NHL. On top of that, neither team has a recognizable superstar (Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos) the casual hockey fan is interested in.

LA-NY is what the league ad execs want, even if the quality of hockey might not compare to a PHX-NJD series.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 06:29 AM
severian

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post

It doesnt matter if the series is the greatest display of skill hockey since the 1987 Canada Cup -- New Jersey and Phoenix markets are two of the smallest in the NHL. On top of that, neither team has a recognizable superstar (Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos) the casual hockey fan is interested in.

LA-NY is what the league ad execs want, even if the quality of hockey might not compare to a PHX-NJD series.
explain the ratings of the nj-ana and nj-dal cup finals? oh that's right, you can't. let's not let facts get in the way of ranger fan gloating about how popular they are.

severian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 07:31 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

unfortunately none of the matchups are appealing you either get a small market, or a boring team

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 07:38 AM
towely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Zeon View Post
You realize that the league wants the Coyotes to win the cup because it would dramatically increase attendance and basically save the franchise?
i think the coyotes are doing justice right now for their financial situation as well as their fan base.
this team should be good for a while to come and i think this is only the beginning for them.
at this point regardless of how far they go i think this season was a huge success for them.

towely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 08:25 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by severian View Post
explain the ratings of the nj-ana and nj-dal cup finals? oh that's right, you can't. let's not let facts get in the way of ranger fan gloating about how popular they are.
Explain the ratings from games 1-6 in 2003?????

Dallas-metro is the 4th most populated region in America.

LA-metro is the 2nd.

Phoenix is 14th.

This has nothing to do with being a Rangers fan. Colleges have online advertising and marketing classes you can take. Maybe you can check those out.

Old
05-14-2012, 08:28 AM
Suspended4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
The Devils - Flyers outdrew the Rangers- Caps on NBC (actual NBC) by approx 1 million viewers nationally..
I would be willing to bet that was more because it was the Flyers and less because it was the Devils.

Anyway, this thread is irrelevant being that the Kings and Rangers will play in the finals.

Suspended4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 08:33 AM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:

Other than a hall of fame goaltender, a certain Russian sniper and the most heavily pursued UFA this summer, of course.

The arguments against a Coyotes & Devils SCF are getting more and more ludicrous.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:17 AM
AverysPurse

Send a message via AIM to AverysPurse
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
for pennies on the dollar - 140M. Not sure exactly how it works or who/what incurs the team's debts. I just found the whole Kovalchuk thing a little strange with the team's financial crisis and impending UFA Parise
kovalchuk didnt get $100m up front

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Hate to break it to you but no one gives a crap about the devils.

Their Stanley Cup "parade" drew 25,000 people. Barely a sellout in the arena. The Ranger parade drew 1,500,000 people. That's 60 to 1. Hardly explained by the population difference.
where was the nj parade? the meadowlands parking lot? no seriously... i dont even remember

AverysPurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:03 AM
MartysBackup
Who wants Wawa?

Comparing a Canyon of Heroes parade in NYC to anything anyone does anywhere else is just silly. It isn't even apples and oranges. It's watermelons and grapes. Saying that something that happened in NYC is bigger than something that happened somewhere else is the biggest "DUH!" statement a person could make.

Since they both took place at the Meadowlands, a better comparison would be the Giants celebration at MetLife stadium this year. That drew a touch under 30k. Considering how much more popular footballs is, that makes 25k for the Devils look pretty respectable.

MartysBackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:05 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
Other than a hall of fame goaltender, a certain Russian sniper and the most heavily pursued UFA this summer, of course.

The arguments against a Coyotes & Devils SCF are getting more and more ludicrous.
I think NBC would have a field day promoting the hell out of an American superstar like Parise, but what do I know?

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
It would prove that the League is rigged? Completely circumstantial evidence that only points to the League being rigged if you choose to view it in such a way proves that the League is rigged? I would very much enjoy reading a defense of this statement.
it was sarcasm. I should have started my post with saying that I'm a Pens fan. apparently the league is rigged for the Pens. such a final would totally prove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I can't believe people are saying this is rigged. If it's rigged, I can think of plenty of other franchises they'd want to keep in over New Jersey and Phoenix. The Wings, Penguins, Hawks, Bruins, and Flyers going out early was not good for ratings.
your fanbase is one of those that always whines about the refs and the league as a whole helping the Pens. I'm not saying the whole Devils fanbase is like this, but usually the Devils-Pens GDTs in your forum is ridiculous. not as ridiculous as Flyers/Rangers' GDTs though. point is apparently the league is helping the Pens against all these teams.

Human is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
unfortunately none of the matchups are appealing you either get a small market, or a boring team
I can't think of any team that I would call boring that made it to the SCF - ever.

Whichever teams get to the SCF, they have earned their spot there, and it was never by playing boring hockey.

Maybe that's just me though.

Butch 19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:44 AM
cataids

Shows just how unhealthy the NHL really is when underdogs and cinderellas are scorned.

cataids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:07 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post

Oh please. The average American cant pick out Parise or Kovalchuk or Brodeur out of a lineup. Ask a middle schooler in Elgin, Oklahoma if he's ever heard of Travis Zajac.

What's ludicrous is Devils fans not grasping the idea that a SCF between the team representing the largest city in the country and the team in the country's 2nd largest metropolitan area will draw higher ratings than a New Jersey-Phoenix would.

This has nothing to do with the Devils not being marketable or them not being able to provide exciting hockey.

It's sheer numbers. More ad dollars will come from NYR-LAK

Old
05-14-2012, 12:31 PM
Jossipov
Patty's Better

vCash: 50
Quote:
Oh please. The average American cant pick out Parise or Kovalchuk or Brodeur out of a lineup. Ask a middle schooler in Elgin, Oklahoma if he's ever heard of Travis Zajac.
And what star players on the NYR or the LAK is this hypothetical hayseed going to recognize and tune in for?
Know what, this is the reason people think New Yorkers are arrogant and self absorbed, hell the Devils play IN the New York Metro Area, maybe instead of crapping on them every chance the local media could try building them up.

Last edited by Jossipov: 05-14-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Jossipov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Officer Rod Farva
Do You Even Lift Bro

Quote:
ask the same student if he knew Henrik Lunqvist...you'd get the same answer for both

Quote:

this is funny. the NYR market is the wait for it...THE SAME MARKET as the NJD! hahaha if either of those teams make it company Avails (block or individual) will be the same as they both have the eyes of the 57 million people i think it is now. And its a moot point anyway because all games are on NBC

Officer Rod Farva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:54 PM
HBK27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickSmehlik View Post
Talk about a nightmare scenario for the league if there ever was one.

This isn’t a fan base pile on thread. Both teams have die hard fans and I am not stating that if they both made the Finals, they wouldn’t deserve to be there but from a ratings stand point I couldn’t imagine a worse scenario for the NHL. Defensive hockey battles in two small markets would result in some low, low ratings.
I absolutely despise these threads, though I know they're coming every year around this time.

If the league was so concerned about having small market teams in the SCF, than they never should've taken the expansion fees and grown the league to 30 teams. This has been a great playoff year so far and I would like to imagine the NHL higher ups are rooting for two good series vs. just the bigger market to advance to the Cup finals.

I don't know why some people get so caught up in "what's good for the league" anyway - of course I would like to see the league do well, but I have no financial stake in it and would rather see the more interesting matchup vs. two big market teams just because the league could make some more money.

Oh, and if the league's looking for some offense in the SCF they should be rooting for the Devils.

HBK27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:58 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:

What's ludicrous is Devils fans not grasping the idea that a SCF between the team representing the largest city in the country and the team in the country's 2nd largest metropolitan area will draw higher ratings than a New Jersey-Phoenix would.

This has nothing to do with the Devils not being marketable or them not being able to provide exciting hockey.

And Susie NoName in Bumble****, Middle America cares about Stu Bickel cause it says New York on his jersey? No, she doesn't.

Of all the dozens of people I see around town and on facebook bangwagoning for the Rangers this year, not a single one of them can attest to watching a second of the postseason this year. They'll boast that Rangers logo as loud and hard as they can, but they don't give enough of a damn to actually tune in. Save for those that happened to be in a bar at the same time they chose to broadcast a game.

Those with the intention to watch the Stanley Cup Final will do so whether it includes the superstar Rangers or the lowly Coyotes.

Just because the teams are based in New York or Los Angeles will not inspire any average joe to tune into NBCSN to watch a hockey game than if a smaller market appeared.
It's HOCKEY, we're all irrelevant in this game.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:19 PM
MilanKraft

Really hoping this happens.

But that just means it won't.

MilanKraft is offline   Reply With Quote