HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Free YT Live streams to be delayed 30 minutes (Geo-blocking was being bypassed)

Old
05-09-2012, 05:59 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 500
Free YT Live streams to be delayed 30 minutes (Geo-blocking was being bypassed)

http://www.iihf.com/competition/272/...ash=3f508e88e0

Quote:
ZUG, Switzerland Infront Sports & Media, exclusive media and marketing partner to the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF), has announced today to stop live coverage of the 2012 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship via the official YouTube channel with immediate effect. Starting with the first round game Canada vs. Switzerland, the free YouTube coverage of all future games will be delayed by 30 minutes.

Sucks that people have to abuse things.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

They will find a way.
They always do.

Also.. How do you pirate free things?

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:01 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

What sucks is that people aren't being allowed to watch their country play unless its on TSN because of advertising revenue. People have to work during the bulk of these games. They should cut Canadians some slack if they aren't going to stream it on their own site.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:01 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
I want to know why viewership is restricted in North America, but Europeans can access these feeds for free. It's not like they're protecting some kind of profit gain. In what ways are fans not "playing fair"? We want to watch our countries play.

IIHF is the group that isn't playing fair. And as someone else noted, you can't be a pirate if the "stolen" product is free.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:02 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalken View Post
They will find a way.
They always do.

It was geoblocked for countries with exclusive TV deals.

Old
05-09-2012, 06:02 PM
SPMaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalken View Post
They will find a way.
They always do.

a time portal, so that games streamed on 30 minute delay are shown "live" on the pirate stream

make it happen

the youtube streams werent really free, were blocked by most countries who broadcast the WC on television
(i couldnt watch them in Finland)

SPMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:04 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I want to know why viewership is restricted in North America, but Europeans can access these feeds for free. It's not like they're protecting some kind of profit gain. In what ways are fans not "playing fair"? We want to watch our countries play.

IIHF is the group that isn't playing fair. And as someone else noted, you can't be a pirate if the "stolen" product is free.
If it's not available to US residents because of the agreement with NBC, and you make it available to US residents, you are pirating it.

Old
joe89

"However, we currently see no other option to protect the existing media rights agreements with our broadcast partners, as some so called fans decided not to play fair and to illegally surpass existing copyright and geoblocking mechanism.".

What's that supposed to mean? I figure those actually looking for streams(usually to other nation's games) out there are the 'real' fans of hockey.

Anyway, now there'll just be free live streams from the various TV stations instead. For instance Swedish TV broadcasts every game live, it won't make a difference at all.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

And people wonder why North Americans don't give a **** about the WCs. It takes too much effort just to watch crappy streams, a lot of the time in languages you don't even understand.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Kamal007
A$VP

You can't stop the internet

Kamal007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Jeff_Dyck_#1
Est. MMII

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
"However, we currently see no other option to protect the existing media rights agreements with our broadcast partners, as some so called fans decided not to play fair and to illegally surpass existing copyright and geoblocking mechanism.".

What's that supposed to mean? I figure those actually looking for streams(usually to other nation's games) out there are the 'real' fans of hockey.

Anyway, now there'll just be free live streams from the various TV stations instead. For instance Swedish TV broadcasts every game live, it won't make a difference at all.
They'd have to pay me to watch all those boring games.

Jeff_Dyck_#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:17 PM
v-man

I don't see how this move improves things on their end. Most of the streams online are not the IIHF feed (actually, I haven't seen one of their feeds get rebroadcast at all. Who want's to listen to their horrible commentators anyway?). The foreign language feeds/TSN broadcasts will still be "pirated" live, no matter what they do. In a championship that's main story has been lack of fan interest and participation, why would you make it so that even less people pay attention to your event? As for the GEO blocking, they should realize that the people circumventing that obviously don't have the means to watch the original signal. If someone puts in an effort to watch a game that's not easily accessible, they really are true "fans", aren't they? This streaming thing was a huge step in the right direction, but it's now apparent that the IIHF is absolutely clueless when it comes to marketing. First they get rid of their hugely popular message boards, and now this idiocy. I'm not sure if I want to follow this thing any more after this ridiculousness. It's nearly impossible to keep results a secret for half an hour in this day and age, and who wants to watch something with no suspense?

Last edited by v-man: 05-09-2012 at 06:24 PM.
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal007 View Post
You can't stop the internet
Truth. We'll find a way.

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Namejs
Cipuli iemet ripuli

Dear IIHF, welcome to the internet.

Using proxy servers is not illegal. Describing this as "piracy" is disgusting.

Let's just sit on our mountains of gold, let's disable all the free streams, let's make the tickets more expensive than in some of the main sporting events on this planet and see how the sport grows and spreads to every corner of the world.

Fantastic.

Namejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:25 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Yeah, like this will really stop the piracy...it's not like ppl can upload streams from the TV coverage...

IIHF is only hurting itself. Instead of getting whatever ad revenue they can off the deal with Youtube, they'll be getting nothing AND there won't be any additional benefit for the exclusive providers.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:31 PM
VladNYC*

This reaction really pisses me off! "So called fans?" People go out of their way to watch these games at all hours, scouring the internet for feeds that you can't find on TV and we go out of our way to support our teams in this under marketed and under developed tournament and this is the thanks we get? We are already paying for the feed by watching the ****** commercials and seeing the advertising on the side of the rink!

Bruno Marty can [mod]! You can't stop the internet *******!

Last edited by Fugu: 05-10-2012 at 11:13 PM. Reason: ...
VladNYC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:35 PM
FlashyG

ironically, delaying their legal stream is only going to increase the amount of illegal streams.

I'm not sure what the purpose is, the people watching online obviously can't watch it on TV so they'd rather they not watch at all?

FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:47 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
The "so called fans" quip really rubbed me the wrong way

**** you IIHF
**** you Bruno Marty
**** you Speed Stick

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:47 PM
OGBobbyFarnham

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashyG View Post
ironically, delaying their legal stream is only going to increase the amount of illegal streams.

I'm not sure what the purpose is, the people watching online obviously can't watch it on TV so they'd rather they not watch at all?
Exactly right. This company providing the streams teamed up with youtube(who have ads, etc). Now the pirated streams, who also have ads will get a bump.

Hell, chrome has the youtube unblocker in their own webstore. Google owns Chrome and Youtube.

OGBobbyFarnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 07:15 PM
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashyG View Post

Exactly. They're just making it worse. I'm amazed that they can't see that, unless that's what the rights holders want, so at least their streams (and therefore their ads) are watched, instead of the commercial-less IIFH feed.

Last edited by v-man: 05-09-2012 at 07:34 PM.
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by visor wearing goon View Post
And people wonder why North Americans don't give a **** about the WCs. It takes too much effort just to watch crappy streams, a lot of the time in languages you don't even understand.
Us Europeans get that all season long.

Seriously though. Sucks that they have to remove them. I only found out that they were streaming them today as well.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Baba Booey
Rookie User

As someone has already said the "so called fans" comment makes no sense. People who take time and effort to torrent the games are clearly fans no matter what your opinion of them and their actions is.

Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Xokkeu

Dear IIHF,

As an American based fan of international hockey, I shall abide by all legal means to watch your games and thus as you wish, not watch any of them except the American ones.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:31 PM
bleedgreen

talk about cutting off the head to cure the headache.

bleedgreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:39 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor wearing goon View Post
Doesn't take much effort at all these days, no matter what sport, one only need to ask for streams and soon someone posts a link. It doesn't take too long to find places like the wiziwig.tv or firstrowsports.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote