HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals | Part XXV

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 500
I swear I'd asked this, but if Pittsburgh was willing would you trade our 1st for Michalek?

Old
05-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyManked View Post
I swear I'd asked this, but if Pittsburgh was willing would you trade our 1st for Michalek?
Only if we were pretty sure that we couldn't land a decent UFA. Then yeah, I would definitely consider it. 15th is hit or miss.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:56 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

To Pitts.
1st + Butler
To Ottawa
Michalek

To NYR
Nuesson, Weircioch, 3rd
To Ottawa
Marc Staal.

Staal/Karlsson
Cowen/Michalek
Philips/Gonchar

Works for me

Old
05-17-2012, 12:04 AM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
To NYR
Nuesson, Weircioch, 3rd
To Ottawa
Marc Staal.

Staal/Karlsson
Cowen/Michalek
Philips/Gonchar

Works for me
Why would the Rangers do this? It's pretty much a young legit top pairing d-man for an unproven above-average prospect and some extras.

Old
05-17-2012, 12:05 AM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post

To NYR
Nuesson, Weircioch, 3rd
To Ottawa
Marc Staal.
Please don't counter with Karlsson for bunch of picks/prospects NYR fans if you see this, it's obvious this is a bad deal.

Old
05-17-2012, 12:12 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
FOligno isnt a top 6 on a contender
He can easily contend with the Penner's, Dupuis's, Cleary's, Brouwer's, etc of the league that populate the 5th-6th spots on every Cup winning team.

So yes, he is. Not only on a contender... but winners as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
The 24th in GA is somewhat skewed IMO.

The Sens allowed 30 goals in the first six games, after that they averaged 2.76GA which would have put them in the middle of the pack. Then consider Auld played 14 games, allowed 36 goals with a SA% of 3.35, it would be easy to suggest the Sens GA is even further inflated.

While I agree the Sens GA can be improved, I don't think it is anywhere near as bad as the 24th ranking suggests.
That was true within last season. Now we're probably going to lose our #2 D-man and two others will decline some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
We lost every playoff game he played in.
He was in for the win in Game 2. The team went 2-1 without him during this postseason and 0-2 during previous postseason games without him.

Quote:
Where does this Alfredsson being "clutch" come from?

We have a horrendous playoff history. We sure could have used some "clutch" on a few occasions, but I don't remember it ever happening.
Quote:
However, ONE playoff run where you perform does not make you "clutch" when you have another 10 failures, some of them horrendous displays.
10 Failures?

From 1996-2002, Ottawa played 44 playoff games and scored 81 goals while Alfie went 44-22-15-37. He personally scored 27% of our goals and was involved in 46% of our offense.

He has 47 goals in 111 career playoff games.

The Sedins' have a combined 45 goals in a combined 187 playoff games.

And of course there was that 2007 postseason when he led the playoffs in scoring and scored 14 goals in 20 games... soundly beating Captain Canada's mark of 13 goals in 26 games during Calgary's run to the SCF's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Mile View Post
How would you guys feel about trying to re-acquire Matt Cullen from the Wild to give competition to Foligno on the top six? Both guys could play 2nd or third line and Cullen is on his last year of his contract
1) I liked Cullen, but he's not special enough to say that "we need Matt Cullen". If we could get a solid 2nd liner for a reasonably cheap price who isn't a lazy, pancake eating, fat ass... sure.

2) I find it odd that Foligno is pointed out so much when:
- Alfredsson may not be returning
- Turris and Greening didn't exactly light it up despite getting much better ice time than Foligno.

Old
05-17-2012, 01:23 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwan553 View Post
Why would the Rangers do this? It's pretty much a young legit top pairing d-man for an unproven above-average prospect and some extras.
i didnt really think this one too well.

I take it back,

Old
05-17-2012, 06:23 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
How would you guys feel about trying to re-aquire Matt Cullen from the Wild to give competion to Foligno on the top six? Both guys could play 2nd or third line and Cullen is on his last year of his contract
I would not mind it. Cullen is extremely useful, with our team better then when he was here before he could play 16 or 17 mins (instead of like 20 when he was here before). He is the type of player that can play anywhere in the lineup and contribute on both ends of the ice.

I'd say he would be more of an insurance policy on Silfverberg being ready for top 6 minutes and on Alfredsson retiring. Don't see him affecting Foligno that much.

Old
05-17-2012, 06:34 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblad the Impaler View Post
High-stat, high-skill players are vastly overrated in this league, but they're not necessarily the guys who win championships.

It's strange to think of "elite" bottom pairing defencemen or 3rd/4th liners, but I think they're out there, and these are the guys we should be targetting. Even if it means trading away more skilled prospects to get them.
I agree and disagree. I think we have many of those guys already in our system. Well at least the forwards anyway. We have Neil. Foligno if he is on the third line. And then we have the Greening, Smith, O'Brien etc. Phillips is that elite bottom pairing defenceman... we just need another top 4.

I think that is what you address at the deadline. You have your team, you know how everyone is playing and you know what hole you need to fill come February. If you need to add a Malholtra type player you do it at that point. Not now. We have so many good bottom 6 forwards. Is Erik Condra going to improve or decline or stay the same? He is older for a player with only one full season. He could be a core guy for years on PK and on the 3rd or 4th line... or he could be the 13th forward or traded. It is too early to tell.

You do win with strong veteran role players. We can see how valuable Neil, Konopka and Carkner were in the Ranger series. You also win with a roster full of CHEAP players filling out those spots. We could sign 2 or 3 players that are veteran warriors like Neil but at the cost of $2-3 million each. Or have Condra, Greening, Regin at $650-833K.

I think Neil is the veteran we chose and Phillips is the vet D we chose to be those guys on our team. We won't likely add more than one more elite bottom pairing player at high $$$ before the season starts. At the deadline you can use the depth of prospects to add the core vet (s) we need, we will have cap room and we will see what real holes we have to fill at that point.

Old
05-17-2012, 09:01 AM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Foligno is the exact #5/6 forward on a cup contender.

Look at the last cup winning teams, a lot of them have a Foligno like player to close out their second line.

Old
05-17-2012, 09:28 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

I don't think you know what "clutch" means.

Ottawa sucked in the playoffs for a long, long time. In fact, their playoff record is downright embarrassing.

Putting up numbers is one thing, but that's not what "clutch" is.

A guy that steps up in the playoffs, leads a team, scores a big goal, makes a big save.

Someone like Claude Lemieux who would score more in the playoffs than the entire regular season. Or Kipper that took Calgary to the Cup final.

We have never had a guy like that on our team.

All your unconditional love for St. Alfie doesn't make him that guy. He never has been that guy. He never led us anywhere.

Personally, I think he was miscast as a Captain. The team gave it to him after Yashin sat out the entire season.

In conversations about great leaders and playoff performers, Alfredsson isn't even mentioned.

Except on this board of course.

Old
05-17-2012, 09:31 AM
Grigo25*

Quote:
I don't think you know what "clutch" means.

Ottawa sucked in the playoffs for a long, long time. In fact, their playoff record is downright embarrassing.

Putting up numbers is one thing, but that's not what "clutch" is.

A guy that steps up in the playoffs, leads a team, scores a big goal, makes a big save.

Someone like Claude Lemieux who would score more in the playoffs than the entire regular season. Or Kipper that took Calgary to the Cup final.

We have never had a guy like that on our team.

All your unconditional love for St. Alfie doesn't make him that guy. He never has been that guy. He never led us anywhere.

Personally, I think he was miscast as a Captain. The team gave it to him after Yashin sat out the entire season.

In conversations about great leaders and playoff performers, Alfredsson isn't even mentioned.

Except on this board of course.
That's complete BS. Go ask around the league what people think of ALfredsson. He is respected around hockey and known to be a good captain.

Old
05-17-2012, 10:23 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
How would you guys feel about trying to re-aquire Matt Cullen from the Wild to give competion to Foligno on the top six? Both guys could play 2nd or third line and Cullen is on his last year of his contract
I believe the Sens want to get younger, not older, so I don't see Cullen (36 in Nov) fitting in with current direction of the team.

Nothing against Cullen, but it isn't in the best interest of the team to keep the youth in Bingo by adding older veteran players IMO.

Old
05-17-2012, 10:59 AM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

As unpopular of an opinion it may be, flaming doesn't solve anything and will only get you in to further trouble.

Disagreen with the post, fine, but do it in a non-flaming way. This is the first and last warning. Infractions and thread-bans will be given from here on out.

Old
05-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Ron Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber View Post
The true joke is the word "enigma" being ignorantly used for every Russian player. Semin is not an enigma. Go look at his production and get back to me.
Enigma as in has incredible skill but only uses it once in awhile. Takes nights off, always leaves you wanting more. Russian players are known for this. You can't argue facts, pal. They hit the big pay day and go to sleep. Horrible compete level, poor work ethic etc... stats mean nothing.

Old
05-17-2012, 02:42 PM
pepty
Let's win it all

vCash: 395
Alfredsson has been exactly the guy who steps up when needed.
and has been Captain Clutch many times for the Senators over the years.

That he is not the sort of player that you admire such as Claude Lemieux ,is of no consequence.

Old
05-17-2012, 03:01 PM
D0C

Is it October yet?

Old
05-17-2012, 03:11 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

I don't admire Claude Lemieux one bit, but the fact is when playoffs rolled around, he was always "clutch" if you will.

I like Alfredsson, he is a great player, but I just don't agree with the kool-aid drinkers when they feel the need to pin this label or that label on him.

If he, or any of our players were "clutch", we would have beat the Rangers, we would have beat the Leafs at least a couple of times. We would have beat NJ in the Conference final.

Maybe we wouldn't have been swept so many times.

The notion that Alfredsson has any sort of long standing history of clutch performances - in the playoffs especially, is nothing more than a fabricated fantasy.

When has he "stepped up and been Captain clutch"?

Old
05-17-2012, 03:42 PM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
Alfredsson has been exactly the guy who steps up when needed.
and has been Captain Clutch many times for the Senators over the years.

That he is not the sort of player that you admire such as Claude Lemieux ,is of no consequence.
I love Alfie, but I don't remember him being clutch other than in the 2007 playoffs.

Old
05-17-2012, 03:55 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

This whole word of clutch seems a bit stupid anyway since what, less than 1% of NHL players are deemed "clutch?"

Some food for thought, was Sundin clutch? Trevor Linden? Lafontaine? Perrault?

Old
05-17-2012, 04:45 PM
Philadelphia Collins

I'm emailing Dorion and Murray to only draft based on clutchness

Old
05-17-2012, 04:50 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Collins View Post
I'm emailing Dorion and Murray to only draft based on clutchness
They'll be busy drafting for need.

Old
05-17-2012, 05:01 PM
LeTigre

While Alfie may not be the definition of clutch, he certainly isn't the opposite either.

Alfie essentially led the team in goalscoring AGAIN this postseason, at 39 years of age, over half a series.

Spezza didn't score three, he had Neil kick in a loose puck, and he scored into an empty net. Alfie opened and closed out the series for Ottawa. Two (very needed) goals in three games makes me believe that he held up his end of the bargain.

Anyways, in the spirit of this thread, I believe we ought to pursue Semin. I really do. Remember when Spezza last had a true trigger man? Remember the production? Yeah, well Semin can skate far better than Heatley could in his Ottawa days. Less physical, granted. But Michalek is a bull on the other side. I think about it, and all three could easily score 30 goals if put together. And I'd trust MacLean to teach Semin the Detroit school of two way play.

I know the enigmatic Russian theme, and the Mark Gandler-represented Russian theme are both played out in this city. But for real, Semin is a goal scorer and we could use him with Spezza no doubt.

Old
05-17-2012, 05:23 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTigre View Post
While Alfie may not be the definition of clutch, he certainly isn't the opposite either.

Alfie essentially led the team in goalscoring AGAIN this postseason, at 39 years of age, over half a series.

Spezza didn't score three, he had Neil kick in a loose puck, and he scored into an empty net. Alfie opened and closed out the series for Ottawa. Two (very needed) goals in three games makes me believe that he held up his end of the bargain.

Anyways, in the spirit of this thread, I believe we ought to pursue Semin. I really do. Remember when Spezza last had a true trigger man? Remember the production? Yeah, well Semin can skate far better than Heatley could in his Ottawa days. Less physical, granted. But Michalek is a bull on the other side. I think about it, and all three could easily score 30 goals if put together. And I'd trust MacLean to teach Semin the Detroit school of two way play.

I know the enigmatic Russian theme, and the Mark Gandler-represented Russian theme are both played out in this city. But for real, Semin is a goal scorer and we could use him with Spezza no doubt.
I'd be thrilled to give him a yr or 2 but I dont see that as a reasonable possibility. He will get big money with decent term.

Old
05-17-2012, 07:49 PM
BK201

i see Semin going to San jose sharks.

Closed Thread