HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Suter

View Poll Results: Prediction: Where will Suter sign?
Nashville 16 35.56%
Detroit 14 31.11%
Minnesota 9 20.00%
Philly 0 0%
Pittsburgh 3 6.67%
Other 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2012, 10:24 PM
predfan98

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
Suter is going elsewhere and we will be stocking up on smoke, mirrors and pixie dust.
yes, I think he is also... But we need something stronger than pixie dust for next year..

Old
06-13-2012, 10:28 PM
hockey diva
HFBoards Sponsor

Hey we are a low budget operation, pixie dust is all we can afford.

No more tangents, I promise

Old
06-14-2012, 08:11 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
Fallout from the reported "tweet" Oooooch!!!!!
If that's the case I guess all UFA's will be moving around since 29 teams didn't win this year. So does Lou not have any leverage with Parise? What about Maloney with Doan and Whitney? Amazing that Jagr even re-signed in Philly.

If Detroit is wanting Suter and they have such a winning team, why did Lidstrom retire? Why didn't he stick around knowing Suter was going to be there next year with him?

Last edited by Seth Lake: 06-14-2012 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Edited deleted quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:27 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Fallout from the reported "tweet" Oooooch!!!!!
If Suter cant see that if he stays this team is set up to be a cup contender for the forseeable future, then he is an idiot. (and I dont think hes an idiot, btw)

If the things reported in the press are true(that family is his main issue, and that as poile said he speaks of the preds using the word "we"), I think the preds remain the frontrunner to re-sign him, but he cant bring himself to do so before he sees what else is out there July 1.

Last edited by Seth Lake: 06-14-2012 at 08:50 AM. Reason: edited out deleted quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:32 AM
Top 6 Spaling

98% sure Suter is hitting July 1, but I think we will be a serious contender to re-sign him once he does. I'll do this Eklund rumor chart style, because I have just as many sources as he does If Suter goes to July 1...

Detroit: 30%
Minnesota: 30%
Nashville: 25%
San Jose: 10%
Colorado: 5%

Last edited by Top 6 Spaling: 06-14-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: CSN Philly report
Old
06-14-2012, 08:39 AM
PredsV82
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
98% sure Suter is hitting July 1, but I think we will be a serious contender to re-sign him once he does. I'll do this Eklund rumor chart style, because I have just as many sources as he does If Suter goes to July 1...

Minnesota: 25%
Nashville: 25%
Detroit: 25%
Philly: 10%
San Jose: 10%
Colorado: 5%
I will again say that if Suter isnt lying about family being most important in his choice, then I think Detroit and Philly have zero chance.

If, and only if, family issues will drive Suters choice, then I think we only have to beat out Minnesota and maybe Colorado

Nashville 60%
Minnesota 30%
Colorado 10%

Old
06-14-2012, 08:45 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I will again say that if Suter isnt lying about family being most important in his choice, then I think Detroit and Philly have zero chance.

If, and only if, family issues will drive Suters choice, then I think we only have to beat out Minnesota and maybe Colorado

Nashville 60%
Minnesota 30%
Colorado 10%
Nashville 25%
Minnesota 25%
Detroit 50%

Old
06-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Top 6 Spaling

San Jose is a dark horse IMO. They definetly need a shake-up, could feel pressure after LA winning the cup, need to replace an aging Boyle, and Suter's uncle mentioned awhile back he'd love to see Ryan on the team.

Suter-Burns on SJ for the next decade would suck for us.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:25 AM
PredsV82
No

Quote:
Nashville 25%
Minnesota 25%
Detroit 50%
so are you saying you dont believe Suter when he says family issues will drive his choice, or that you believe Detroit is an ideal family destination?

Old
06-14-2012, 11:53 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
so are you saying you dont believe Suter when he says family issues will drive his choice, or that you believe Detroit is an ideal family destination?
I think it is an excuse to appease the fans right now. Who knows if he is really saying that or if it is Poile blowing smoke.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Top 6 Spaling

CSN (Comcast Sports Philly) reports Suter has no interest in Philly, and his list of teams he will talk to is 100% western teams.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...764&feedID=704

Also, the article says Poile has not even begun discussions about trading his rights.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:49 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Do you think one of the teams may be Anaheim?

Old
06-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcend View Post
Do you think one of the teams may be Anaheim?
Possible. SJ seems like the #1 cali team to me.

I will say, a Doughty-Suter pairing would be just unfair

Old
06-14-2012, 12:54 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Possible. SJ seems like the #1 cali team to be.

I will say, a Doughty-Suter pairing would be just unfair
If I saw Suter-Doughty across the ice from the Preds, I'd probably cry.

SJ would be an interesting object of discussion, though I'm not familiar as to what the Sharks would be interested in parting with. Thornton's not happening, I have no idea as to how Marleau is viewed, I'm guessing Pavelski and Couture are unavailable.

And I guess they have Burns and Vlasic on the back end, which isn't too bad. I would guess the Ducks would be looking for d-men past Fowler. Of course, if Anaheim was in the mix I would be all "Bobby Ryan omgs!" but I don't think an (unisigned) Suter would be enough to get him if he's even on the market.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcend View Post
If I saw Suter-Doughty across the ice from the Preds, I'd probably cry.

SJ would be an interesting object of discussion, though I'm not familiar as to what the Sharks would be interested in parting with. Thornton's not happening, I have no idea as to how Marleau is viewed, I'm guessing Pavelski and Couture are unavailable.

And I guess they have Burns and Vlasic on the back end, which isn't too bad. I would guess the Ducks would be looking for d-men past Fowler. Of course, if Anaheim was in the mix I would be all "Bobby Ryan omgs!" but I don't think an (unisigned) Suter would be enough to get him if he's even on the market.
No player of that caliber will get traded for rights. We'll get a 3rd probably.

SJ has Burns, Vlasic, and Boyle, but Boyle is old. Suter could replace him for sure.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:59 PM
dekelikekocur

Quote:

If you're going to start this crap, at least show me a suburb in the Metro(sic?) Nashville area that compares to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloomfield_Hills,_Michigan

International Academy(HS in BH) ranks #5 in the US and is a free to go to public HS, Cranbrook and all of it's affiliate schools(private education) is consistently a top end school system. Quality of life in the metro Detroit area is what you make of it and I highly doubt Suter would choose to live on the wrong side of the tracks especially considering Bloomfield Hills is just ONE of many suburbs to choose from, others including the Grosse Pointe area, Northville/Plymouth/Canton area, Berkley(and the northern parts of Royal Oak) Troy, and a plethora of other areas.

Educate yourself on what speak and quit relying on Hollywood to educate you on geography. 8 Mile != real life.

I mean I could of just said why would he want to live in Tennesee where running water and electricity are considered lap of luxury and marrying your sister is socially acceptable but I don't actually have that view despite there being many movie/social references to the redneck environment and backwoods living conditions that exist there.

Stereotyping is bad, and the easy way to stop it is to simply educate yourself.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:01 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

That puts Minny and Detroit in the lead.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Exactly. A litte harshly worded, but the ideas are right. There are nice areas and not-so-nice areas in every major city ever. It's not like Nashville is 100% safe and wonderful and beautiful. As a whole, do I prefer Nashville? Sure, but I'm biased. I'm confident the Detroit area has great neighborhoods too.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:08 PM
dekelikekocur

Quote:
Exactly. There are nice areas and not-so-nice areas in every major city ever. It's not like Nashville is 100% safe and wonderful and beautiful. As a whole, do I prefer Nashville? Sure, but I'm biased. I'm confident the Detroit area has great neighborhoods too.
I agree completely and as far as Suter is concerned, I truly think he's going to base his decision on more than just one aspect. As a Det fan I hope we land him, we need to shore up our defense and he'd be a great cog for that but ultimately where he signs is where he signs and I'm truly happy that as a hockey fan there are players of his caliber in the league to watch on a nightly basis.

Old
06-14-2012, 02:59 PM
PredsV82
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekelikekocur View Post
If you're going to start this crap, at least show me a suburb in the Metro(sic?) Nashville area that compares to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloomfield_Hills,_Michigan

International Academy(HS in BH) ranks #5 in the US and is a free to go to public HS, Cranbrook and all of it's affiliate schools(private education) is consistently a top end school system. Quality of life in the metro Detroit area is what you make of it and I highly doubt Suter would choose to live on the wrong side of the tracks especially considering Bloomfield Hills is just ONE of many suburbs to choose from, others including the Grosse Pointe area, Northville/Plymouth/Canton area, Berkley(and the northern parts of Royal Oak) Troy, and a plethora of other areas.

Educate yourself on what speak and quit relying on Hollywood to educate you on geography. 8 Mile != real life.

I mean I could of just said why would he want to live in Tennesee where running water and electricity are considered lap of luxury and marrying your sister is socially acceptable but I don't actually have that view despite there being many movie/social references to the redneck environment and backwoods living conditions that exist there.

Stereotyping is bad, and the easy way to stop it is to simply educate yourself.
lighten up francis.....

get as defensive as you like, but I wasnt being personally insulting of your beloved city, Im sure theere are nice parts of detroit just like there are nice areas of any metro.... However, I am of the opinion that Detroit would not be likely to be at the top of Ryan Suters list because Poile has stated that Suter isnt interested in big cities like NY and LA due to family concerns, and I cant imagine him thinking Detroit is much better from that standpoint.

Old
06-14-2012, 03:27 PM
predfan98

a little off topic of suter, but applying to detroit....

they are building a new arena for the red wings

Old
06-14-2012, 05:23 PM
TheOctopusKid

Quote:
lighten up francis.....

get as defensive as you like, but I wasnt being personally insulting of your beloved city, Im sure theere are nice parts of detroit just like there are nice areas of any metro.... However, I am of the opinion that Detroit would not be likely to be at the top of Ryan Suters list because Poile has stated that Suter isnt interested in big cities like NY and LA due to family concerns, and I cant imagine him thinking Detroit is much better from that standpoint.
To be completely honest, I'm not sure you can compare Detroit as an true urban environment as Chicago or NYC. Having come from Detroit and lived in a number of major metropolitan areas (Chicago, Boston, NYC, and Washington DC), there really isn't any comparable living conditions or resident density between the two.

Detroit is suburban-centered around many middle to upper class communities and were most of the economic wealth resides. Case in point that many of the Detroit players and families all live outside the actual city limits and commute into the city for practice and games (little more than a 15-20min drive) - primarily in Bloomfield Hills and Birmingham if I recall correctly.

I don't think you can naturally preclude Detroit because its assumed city style like living and non-family conducive environment.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:29 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOctopusKid View Post
Case in point that many of the Detroit players and families all live outside the actual city limits and commute into the city for practice and games (little more than a 15-20min drive)
I don't think that's any different from any player or family in any city in any sport.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:33 PM
TheOctopusKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
I don't think that's any different from any player or family in any city in any sport.
Certainly, but I think the crux of the point was the fact that Detroit was too "city" like for a family

Old
06-14-2012, 05:54 PM
PredsV82
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOctopusKid View Post
Certainly, but I think the crux of the point was the fact that Detroit was too "city" like for a family
not exactly what I was saying... im sure there are many happy families in Detroit and many red wing players with kids love it there

but Suter is a "farm boy" (literally) and I may be wrong but I just dont see the farm boy having detroit on the top of his list from a geographic standpoint.

now, if Suter decides that the strength/likely durability of the hockey team as a competitor outweighs family/geographic factors, then detroit is probably right up there.... but that was the whole point of my posts.... if you take suter at his word, I dont see detroit as meeting his top criteria

Closed Thread