HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Suter

View Poll Results: Prediction: Where will Suter sign?
Nashville 16 35.56%
Detroit 14 31.11%
Minnesota 9 20.00%
Philly 0 0%
Pittsburgh 3 6.67%
Other 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2012, 06:13 PM
braindead

vCash: 500
[blah, blah, blah]
P.S.S. When he signs with the Wild, this will look like two armless guys trying to win a nose picking contest.

Last edited by braindead: 06-14-2012 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Self-policing per post #402
Old
06-14-2012, 06:15 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

This is a thread about Ryan Suter, not a pissing match between natives of two different areas.

Get it back on topic

Old
06-14-2012, 07:18 PM
trevorbird

Dear Ryan,

Just say yes or no so we can see your rights traded like 9 times before July 1st before you sign with Minnesota

Thanks

Old
06-15-2012, 04:39 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

JoshuaCooper ‏@JoshuaCooper

Poile says he thinks Suter will go to July 1

Old
06-15-2012, 05:18 PM
Jarnberg

If we do not re-sign Suter than Poile needs to be let go. You cannot afford an asset like that to walk away for nothing or for something low in a trade for his rights. He should have traded Suter as soon as Suter refused to sign a deal, whether that be last offseason or this season.

Old
06-15-2012, 05:23 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
If we do not re-sign Suter than Poile needs to be let go. You cannot afford an asset like that to walk away for nothing or for something low in a trade for his rights. He should have traded Suter as soon as Suter refused to sign a deal, whether that be last offseason or this season.
Then you get people saying another fire sale, Preds aren't trying to win. Poile was really in a no win situation.

Old
06-15-2012, 05:25 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Then you get people saying another fire sale, Preds aren't trying to win. Poile was really in a no win situation.
Who cares what people think? If the guys aren't willing to sign then trade them and get back returns which help your franchise in the future. Guys like Suter and Weber shouldn't be allowed to walk for free; they are worth too much to a franchise like ours.

Old
06-15-2012, 05:32 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Who cares what people think? If the guys aren't willing to sign then trade them and get back returns which help your franchise in the future. Guys like Suter and Weber shouldn't be allowed to walk for free; they are worth too much to a franchise like ours.
And if we trade Suter do we make the playoffs? While he's a valuable asset that may walk away for nothing, is keeping him worth making the playoffs? Poile was in a difficult situation with Suter and with Weber. How do you trade the league's top pairing or even one of them?

There is also no guarantee he's leaving either. Suter is going to test the market. Good for him. He's earned that right. Poile realizes this and is comfortable with that happening. Why? Maybe because he realizes that Nashville is where Suter wants to be and there will be no offer out there that can compete with what Nashville has offered and what Nashville brings to Suter and his family. There's a reason why guys like Dumont and Sullivan and others will settle here after their playing days are over, it's a great place to raise a family.

While we're all ticked that Suter hasn't re-signed yet, he should explore all his options out there and make the best educated decision with everything presented in front of him. I think when he looks at everything on the table he's back here.

Old
06-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
While he's a valuable asset that may walk away for nothing, is keeping him worth making the playoffs
You have to decide if potentially missing the playoffs for one season is better than potentially missing the playoffs for multiple seasons; with all due respect to our prospects, I don't see anyone having the upside of Suter or Weber for the next few seasons nor can we sign anyone like them either.

Old
06-15-2012, 05:55 PM
predseth

I started to think he would just go to July 1st, get all of his offers, and ask Poile to match the top one. Upon hearing the news that he said he does not want to go to the Eastern Conference, I realized he was probably gone. There is no reason to say that if your intention is for Poile to match an offer as you have effectively taken away half of the market. I'm hopeful that Parise decides to stay in the East (if he doesn't come here haha), so Suter wouldn't feel like following him. Suter's not going to Detroit (they aren't getting any better), he's not going to Minnesota (Leipold), he's going to Colorado or San Jose or Nashville.

Old
06-15-2012, 08:44 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
I have been thinking for some time that suter has been tendered a very competitive offer by poile but he can't bring himself to sign without seeing what's his true market value is. I still have hope that he will give poile a chance to match any offer and that poile would match anything up to 8mil x 7yrs. However if some fool offers him north of 8 for more than 8 years we are probably better off spending the money elsewhere.

Old
06-15-2012, 09:09 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

OTF has the audio of Poile's interview on 102.5

Old
06-16-2012, 01:29 AM
Hammerheart
Now how about a hug?

It makes me laugh when everyone is 100% certain he's going to sign with Minnesota.

Old
06-16-2012, 01:38 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerheart View Post
It makes me laugh when everyone is 100% certain he's going to sign with Minnesota.
Could say the same thing about another team up in that direction...

Old
06-16-2012, 08:54 AM
Predsboro

Makes me laugh when anyone says he'll sign anywhere at all right now; as we know NOTHING. Not even sure we'll know by July 4 ... nothing says Suter has to sign on July 1.

Old
06-16-2012, 12:42 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerheart View Post
Would you still laugh if everyone were 100% certain he would sign in Detroit? Because I remember a time not too long ago when a large amount of posters on this board were convinced he is going to Detroit.

It works both ways, does it not?

Old
06-16-2012, 01:21 PM
preds1

vCash: 1548
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I have been thinking for some time that suter has been tendered a very competitive offer by poile but he can't bring himself to sign without seeing what's his true market value is. I still have hope that he will give poile a chance to match any offer and that poile would match anything up to 8mil x 7yrs. However if some fool offers him north of 8 for more than 8 years we are probably better off spending the money elsewhere.
Agree, and can't really blame him for seeing what is offered.
Sounds like Suter/Poile may talk after July 1 when the offers roll in.
I think the question at this point is do we match $8m x 6/7 years....or more.

Old
06-16-2012, 01:24 PM
EarlGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I have been thinking for some time that suter has been tendered a very competitive offer by poile but he can't bring himself to sign without seeing what's his true market value is.
I agree with you. I think he is very much inclinded to stay in Nashville, but he owes it to himself to check what he is worth. Plus, this might raise Nashville's offer by 500.000..who knows?

Suter is in a market where he (imo) is happy and where he is on a good team. Why move to a place where the future is uncertain? Look what happened to Bryz in Philly...fans and media all over the guy due to his contract and performance. Plus I think he also wants to make thr right decision for his family, at least I read that. Not sure if he has kids, but if he does and they like it in Nashville, why ship them off to another city far away from their friends?

And if I was Suter, I would be impressed that management didn't let Radulov and Kostitsyn dance on their noses and suspended them for violating a team rule...during the playoffs. Shows that management has ethics and you can rely on their word.

By mid August the latest you guys will have Suter (~7 mill) and Weber (~ 7.5 mill) both locked up long term IMO. No need to worry.

EDIT: Hope it is okay I posted here, even though I am a Ducks fan!

Old
06-16-2012, 01:29 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckNoire View Post
I agree with you. I think he is very much inclinded to stay in Nashville, but he owes it to himself to check what he is worth. Plus, this might raise Nashville's offer by 500.000..who knows?

Suter is in a market where he (imo) is happy and where he is on a good team. Why move to a place where the future is uncertain? Look what happened to Bryz in Philly...fans and media all over the guy due to his contract and performance. Plus I think he also wants to make thr right decision for his family, at least I read that. Not sure if he has kids, but if he does and they like it in Nashville, why ship them off to another city far away from their friends?

And if I was Suter, I would be impressed that management didn't let Radulov and Kostitsyn dance on their noses and suspended them for violating a team rule...during the playoffs. Shows that management has ethics and you can rely on their word.

By mid August the latest you guys will have Suter (~7 mill) and Weber (~ 7.5 mill) both locked up long term IMO. No need to worry.

EDIT: Hope it is okay I posted here, even though I am a Ducks fan!
Suter and his wife have one child, born in Nov 2010

And all are welcome!

Old
06-16-2012, 01:30 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
I have really mixed feelings about this. I agree it would be awful to lose Suter for nothing (even though "nothing" really means "in exchange for his continued services through the regular season and playoffs")...but at the same time, there's obviously so much about this situation that we as fans aren't privy to. Poile obviously has reason to think he has a good shot at signing Suter after July 1st, even though we have no idea what that reason is specifically. Suter may end up being so valuable to us that we wouldn't be able to get anything matching his worth in a trade, making holding out to sign him worth the risk. We have no idea what kinds of trades have been put on the table for him over the past year, or what kind of talks he's been having with Poile.

It's a risky position. If Poile does end up signing him after July 1st, will everyone here still be freaking out about how we should've traded him for whatever assets we could get? If he doesn't end up signing after July 1st then obviously all hell will break loose around here.

I trust Poile...but really it's Suter that holds all the cards in this situation, and I don't know if I trust him. We'll see what happens.

Old
06-16-2012, 01:34 PM
AEM6729

Totally hypothetical scenario but...if you're Poile, and you think that you have a good shot of signing Suter after July 1st, and you know that doing so would enable you to sign Parise and keep Weber...you'd wait, right? I would. Absolutely nothing I'd get in a trade (during the past season and especially now) would be worth Suter, Parise AND Weber. Or even Suter and Weber.

I know we have no idea if that's even the case, but if Suter's situation is tied to either Parise's or Weber's (or any other promising player's), then holding on to him becomes even more important.

Old
06-16-2012, 01:35 PM
EarlGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Suter and his wife have one child, born in Nov 2010

And all are welcome!
Makes my school and friends argument invalid

And thx

PS: After all the Parise and Suter to MIN/DET rumors, imagine the impact if Parise signed with Nashville

Old
06-16-2012, 01:40 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by predseth View Post
I started to think he would just go to July 1st, get all of his offers, and ask Poile to match the top one. Upon hearing the news that he said he does not want to go to the Eastern Conference, I realized he was probably gone. There is no reason to say that if your intention is for Poile to match an offer as you have effectively taken away half of the market. I'm hopeful that Parise decides to stay in the East (if he doesn't come here haha), so Suter wouldn't feel like following him. Suter's not going to Detroit (they aren't getting any better), he's not going to Minnesota (Leipold), he's going to Colorado or San Jose or Nashville.
That's a rumor. There's no direct quote from Suter saying that, and his agent denies it. Doesn't mean it's not true, but it's definitely not a fact.

Old
06-16-2012, 02:59 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckNoire View Post

By mid August the latest you guys will have Suter (~7 mill) and Weber (~ 7.5 mill) both locked up long term IMO. No need to worry.EDIT: Hope it is okay I posted here, even though I am a Ducks fan!

if what you just predicted comes to pass you will be an honorary Preds fan in my book

Old
06-16-2012, 03:00 PM
cleangene

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Totally hypothetical scenario but...if you're Poile, and you think that you have a good shot of signing Suter after July 1st, and you know that doing so would enable you to sign Parise and keep Weber...you'd wait, right? I would. Absolutely nothing I'd get in a trade (during the past season and especially now) would be worth Suter, Parise AND Weber. Or even Suter and Weber.

I know we have no idea if that's even the case, but if Suter's situation is tied to either Parise's or Weber's (or any other promising player's), then holding on to him becomes even more important.
#20 of course is a VALUABLE cog in this machine, but the more I think about his waiting game, I just wonder if he will totally hamper any signings that GMDP MUST get done aside from him. By all means if this lands Parise, he could certainly fill a huge hole, but when we start seeing a repeat of last July with Pred after Pred becoming ex-Pred after ex-Pred, is all of this going to be worth it?

Closed Thread