HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Ryan Suter

View Poll Results: Prediction: Where will Suter sign?
Nashville 16 35.56%
Detroit 14 31.11%
Minnesota 9 20.00%
Philly 0 0%
Pittsburgh 3 6.67%
Other 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 08:49 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
Which basically means we either need to make the decision to cut ties with Suter, or have an extreme contingency plan. Are we supposed to allow other guys to slip past while we "hope" Suter picks us? What if he doesn't?
I agree. The ufa dmen won't all be around for too long.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:11 AM
glenngineer

There are always players out there to be had. We can wait Suter out for a while. Not a long while but if we wait a week or two we should be fine. And honestly, if Suter does walk and we re-sign Gill we still have 6 guys that have played for this team. We'd have Weber/Josi, Klein/Blum and Gill/Ellis as our three pairings. It's not amazing but it isn't shabby either. We can always throw in Ekholm as competition with Blum for second pairing duty but even without Suter and a free agent signing, we'd be ok. I'd prefer Suter obviously or if he isn't back, a veteran d-man to pair with Klein but we'd be ok.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:30 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
There are always players out there to be had. We can wait Suter out for a while. Not a long while but if we wait a week or two we should be fine. And honestly, if Suter does walk and we re-sign Gill we still have 6 guys that have played for this team. We'd have Weber/Josi, Klein/Blum and Gill/Ellis as our three pairings. It's not amazing but it isn't shabby either. We can always throw in Ekholm as competition with Blum for second pairing duty but even without Suter and a free agent signing, we'd be ok. I'd prefer Suter obviously or if he isn't back, a veteran d-man to pair with Klein but we'd be ok.
I highly, highly disagree we'd be okay. There's no one in the system that can pair with Weber for 26 minutes a game. Sorry, there's just not. This isn't something that can really be "band-aided." We go on about how we always do better than we expect, and how we always recover when players leave...but it's largely because we've had Suter and Weber to rely on and cover a lot of the other mistakes.

If Suter isn't signed AND isn't adequately replaced, we're going to be in bad shape.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:32 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
I highly, highly disagree we'd be okay. There's no one in the system that can pair with Weber for 26 minutes a game. Sorry, there's just not. This isn't something that can really be "band-aided." We go on about how we always do better than we expect, and how we always recover when players leave...but it's largely because we've had Suter and Weber to rely on and cover a lot of the other mistakes.

If Suter isn't signed AND isn't adequately replaced, we're going to be in bad shape.
I agree...Which is why, when I play armchair GM, I'm shopping Weber if he doesn't sign long term.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:40 AM
glenngineer

Sorry but when Weber went down with an injury, Josi paired with Suter in the top slot, played big minutes and handled himself fine. Do you really think anyone in free agency is a better option than Josi at this point? Carle? Wideman? Garrison? None of them are top pairing guys either. And it's not like you just go out and replace a 26 minute a night defenseman without taking a step back. How far back is up to the guys in our system or who we get to step into that role. Josi to me is our best option. Is it perfect. Far from it but you take a leap of faith with the youngsters. I think with Josi it's not that big a leap. I understand the panic or lack of faith in our guys but we sat here last offseason and worried about this team and the young guys stepped up to help us become a 100 point team.

I would prefer a veteran replacement but if we don't find one, we're going to have to go with the youth on the blueline. That's the reality. How Poile handles this will determine a lot of future, especially the ones of Josi, Ellis and Blum.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:42 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
I agree...Which is why, when I play armchair GM, I'm shopping Weber if he doesn't sign long term.
There was an article or blog about this on THN the other day. If Weber won't sign long term, Poile does need to shop him and get a big package for him. They were comparing the Weber situation to what Shero did and trading Staal for good pieces. They also said that Weber would fetch a much bigger package than what Staal got. Also stated was since we may lose Suter we should not go thru another season of wondering if Weber will be back. Poile has to be aggressive, much like Shero was in dealing with Staal. I really think Weber could be in play this summer and we may have a very different look on the blueline come October.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:43 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Which basically means we either need to make the decision to cut ties with Suter, or have an extreme contingency plan. Are we supposed to allow other guys to slip past while we "hope" Suter picks us? What if he doesn't?
I think if he doesnt pick us we have enough other pieces that we dont have to rush out and get a UFA defenseman as a replacement, especially if Gill is already signed.

would that be ideal? no. But we cant go out and drop big $$ on Carle or Garrison and then have Suter decide to stay...

but now that I think about it, I would be surprised to see the other top-end UFA defensemen to sign before Suter, since Suter will set the market... so we can probably wait Suter out and still have options

Old
06-27-2012, 09:49 AM
Provost

I don't see a Weber thread, and briefly perused this one for mentions about him (saw the post a couple above this one addressing it)

What do Nashville fans think bout what is going to happen with Weber this summer?

He is unsigned an can't be taken to arbitration to protect him. Is there a sense that he doesn't plan on staying in Nashville long term if Suter goes?

Are there worries about another team tendering a 1yr offer sheet and then losing him for nothing? Any chance that he gets traded before July 1st to avoid this and get a return?

If he was one of our players we would be neurotic about it by now.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:58 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I don't really know a lot about prospects around the league. FWIW, Hockey's Future has Nashville ranked well ahead of all three teams.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/team-rankings

Of course, that hasn't been updated in a while. It still mentions Geoffrion.
The latest Hockeys Future ranking has the Wild at #2 for prospects:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...10/#more-72103

2. Minnesota Wild

Strengths: The Wild prospect pool is stacked with top-end talent, most notably at forward. Mikael Granlund is one of the top prospects in the world and is set to make his pro debut next season. Charlie Coyle and Zack Phillips are also potential top-six forwards, while Jason Zucker, Johan Larsson, and Brett Bulmer should all be top-nine contributors. Left-wingers Eric Haula and Mario Lucia also have long-term upside. 2011 First round draft pick Jonas Brodin is a blue-chip defense prospect while Matt Hackett headlines a talented quartet of goaltenders.

Weaknesses: There isn't much to not like about the Wild system, though there is steep drop off in talent after Brodin amongst Wild defense prospects. Former first round pick Tyler Cuma can't stay healthy and aside from Chay Genoway, the other defenseman in the organization project mostly as third-pairing or depth type defenseman.

Top 5 Prospects: 1. Mikael Granlund, C, 2. Charlie Coyle, RW. 3. Jonas Brodin, D, 4. Matt Hackett, G, 5. Zack Phillips, C.
Lost to Graduation: Justin Falk, Marco Scandella, Nick Palmieri, Jared Spurgeon.
Lost to Trade: Casey Wellman.
Added: Steven Kampfer.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:14 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Something to think about is a lot of teams will be hopeful to land Suter. The defensive UFAs may not go as quickly as some think. Suter will be the domino the knocks most of the rest over.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

When (if) Suter leaves you really need to think about how the minutes will get spread around when considering replacements. Trotz completely relied on Suter/Weber getting major minutes in all situations. When (if) Suter leaves, is there anybody on the current roster that can play 25 or more minutes, or anybody that Trotz would trust in any role at any time of the game? No. Is Trotz going to play mix-n-match with his D pairings to keep Weber at his TOI the last few seasons? Maybe a little, but this tactic usually doesn't work very well over the course of a season. By default, instead of a clear #1 clear #2 and a protected #3 pairing like Trotz has been using, it's going to have to be a much more balanced approach. It's possible that the #2 pairing picks up the additional minutes that Suter/Weber played, but more likely it's going to mean more of the #3 guys too.

In other words, does anybody here (including Trotz) really have enough confidence in the current group without Suter to cover the lost minutes? Can Trotz change his coaching approach the last few years with the over reliance on that Suter/Weber pairing to a much more balanced approach with all three parings with the guys in house? I'm not so sure. True, there is no replacement for Suter out there in FA or within the organization (at least not right now), but I like the Preds chances on D a lot better if Poile is active come July .

Old
06-27-2012, 12:49 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

When we're talking about players eating minutes we should make sure to keep in mind when those minutes are played. Suter average just over 20 minutes of ES TOI last year, but also averaged over 2 minutes per game on the PK and closer to 4 minutes on the PP.

PP time can be split up between Ellis and Josi with a forward playing the point on one of the units. If Gill re-signs you have to think he will maintain his >3 minutes of PK time. Josi can be thrown in for some PK time, and, assuming the coaching staff isn't comfortable enough with Blum, you would then need to look for a second pairing guy who can play ~17 minutes of ES with Klein, not need any PP time, and can take up the slack on the PK.

I think Josi could handle ~20 of even strength time.

PP defenders would be Weber, Ellis, Josi. PK defenders would be Weber, Klein, Gill, Josi, and perhaps a UFA or trade.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Brewhousesouth15

If anyone wanted wideman as a potential Sumter replacement if he leaves scratch that off the list.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=636293 he's now with the flames

Old
06-27-2012, 03:10 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
There was an article or blog about this on THN the other day. If Weber won't sign long term, Poile does need to shop him and get a big package for him. They were comparing the Weber situation to what Shero did and trading Staal for good pieces. They also said that Weber would fetch a much bigger package than what Staal got. Also stated was since we may lose Suter we should not go thru another season of wondering if Weber will be back. Poile has to be aggressive, much like Shero was in dealing with Staal. I really think Weber could be in play this summer and we may have a very different look on the blueline come October.
absolutely great point.. didn't really think of that.

we CANNOT allow this coming season to have another distraction of suter 2.0 in weber. everything needs to be on the table ASAP. we aren't new york, philly, chicago, toronto, etc who can spend to the cap. we build from within. and we can't allow to lose these guys for nothing (too late for suter).. absolutely crippling to a franchise like us

Old
06-27-2012, 03:27 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
absolutely great point.. didn't really think of that.

we CANNOT allow this coming season to have another distraction of suter 2.0 in weber. everything needs to be on the table ASAP. we aren't new york, philly, chicago, toronto, etc who can spend to the cap. we build from within. and we can't allow to lose these guys for nothing (too late for suter).. absolutely crippling to a franchise like us
A lot of people are assuming if Suter leaves Weber will follow but Im not so sure.

I think if Weber knows Poile did everything possible to keep Suter and Suter still left then he'll be hard pressed to blame Poile.

others have suggested the Suter is leaving to get out of Webers shadow and be "the man" somewhere... well, this is Webers team.. he is "the man" right now and as long as we offer him fair money I think he will stay, assuming he truly was only wanting to make sure poile was going to try to improve the team...

Old
06-27-2012, 03:36 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

This AWFUL contract Calgary gave to Wideman is going to push the price of Suter up even higher than it would have..which, in turn, raises the cost of Weber.

If Wideman is getting $5+ million, you'd have to figure Suter will be looking at $7.5-$8 million.

This seals the deal.....Feaster IS the worst GM in hockey.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Legionnaire11

everyone figured Suter was $7.5-8M already

I don't think Wideman pushes these guys up much if any as they are already at the top limit of anyone is willing to spend on one player.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:25 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
everyone figured Suter was $7.5-8M already

I don't think Wideman pushes these guys up much if any as they are already at the top limit of anyone is willing to spend on one player.
even though they could get more now... crosby and malkin are at 8.7 i think.. and they are generational talent. no offense to suter or parise but they are not. i think suter will get more than parise.

my guesses per year ..

suter: 7.8 million
parise: 7.5 million

Old
06-27-2012, 04:35 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
even though they could get more now... crosby and malkin are at 8.7 i think.. and they are generational talent. no offense to suter or parise but they are not. i think suter will get more than parise.

my guesses per year ..

suter: 7.8 million
parise: 7.5 million
If that's the case, then Parise will be taking a discount....because it's pretty well established that the Wild will be offering him something in the neighborhood of $9 million/season. (I know, that's insane).

Crosby and Malkin's current contracts are coming due....I'd expect both of them to get raises to around $10 million/season.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:37 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
If that's the case, then Parise will be taking a discount....because it's pretty well established that the Wild will be offering him something in the neighborhood of $9 million/season.
if thats true.. they can have him. just stupid. the cap will be around 62 million after the new CBA from what ive read as well. that is just stupid money. parise isn't that good

Old
06-27-2012, 04:39 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
if thats true.. they can have him. just stupid. the cap will be around 62 million after the new CBA from what ive read as well. that is just stupid money. parise isn't that good
I've heard different numbers floating around the cap....anywhere from your figure to $70 million....we shall see.

I agree it's stupid money, but Leipold is acting out of desperation. Not sure why though.... I'm not sure Fletcher will be doing this of his own free will. We do have plenty of cap space, though. If given the choice, I'd offer the stupid money to Suter instead.

Old
06-27-2012, 05:02 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Suter will get 8+, Parise will get stupid money we haven't seen in the cap era

Old
06-27-2012, 05:04 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeyh View Post
Suter will get 8+, Parise will get stupid money we haven't seen in the cap era
i dont even want suter back for more than 7.. just ridiculous money right now being suggested. small market teams will always struggle

Old
06-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Top 6 Spaling

If the cap continues to rise, and we sign Suter, say 8 per for 8 years, then by years 6, 7, and 8, that will be a total steal. Certainly an over payment for year 1 though.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:01 PM
glenngineer

Something to think about. Feaster goes out and gets Wideman today for a little over $5 million a season. He's got JayBo for what, $6.66 million a season? So around $12 million for two defensemen. If Suter and Weber were looking at $7 million each, that's $14 million by my mathematical skills. Now tell me, if you had to spend $12 or $14 million dollars, which pairing would you rather have? People saying Suter isn't worth $7 million a season are fooling themselves. Even at them pushing $7.5 million a piece or even $8 million a season, isn't it worth it at the end of the day? I know we always talk about tying too much money up in a few players but when the players are that good, you do it, especially when it's your own home grown guys.

To me, this is the next step in the franchise's development. We have to be able to spend money at this point. We know we can field a playoff team. We know we can draft and develop talent. Now we have to pay that talent. If we can't, this team will have to have serious amounts of luck on its side to go further than we have in years past. At some point, Poile is not going to be here and while his prodigy, Shero, seems to be doing well, will Fenton be able to continue the pattern that Poile has set forth before him? We have to be able to pay our guys or free agents before Poile leaves. If we don't, we have a real chance at collapsing as a franchise.

I'm not trying to say this is the be all end all development of this franchise but we either need to put up or shut up. Poile needs to do everything in his power to convince Suter to stay and to re-up Weber and while doing both of those, go out and land Parise. It will show everyone in the league, owners, players and the fans, that Nashville is a player. If we lose Suter, Weber is more than likely to follow and then we are not a destination free agents will want to come, at least big time free agents. I hope Poile and the owners are ready to pony up.

Closed Thread