HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Ryan Suter

View Poll Results: Prediction: Where will Suter sign?
Nashville 16 35.56%
Detroit 14 31.11%
Minnesota 9 20.00%
Philly 0 0%
Pittsburgh 3 6.67%
Other 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2012, 11:18 AM
AdmiralsFan24

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
Kids move all the time... and in Suters case the kid is less than 2years old.
It probably won't effect Suter's kid but to the point of kids move all the time. Yeah, they do but it's not exactly easy for them. Moving from school to school and having to make new friends is hard. Kids aren't exactly willing to let the new kid join their group of friends.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:35 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm not saying he shouldn't move, I just saying this is not an easy choice for Suter to make and I don't blame him for taking his time to make the right choice for him and his family as it will likely impact his next 7-10 years, waiting a couple of weeks to review all the options and how each choice effects the family's life seems like the sensible thing to do to me...

Old
06-30-2012, 11:36 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Weber's game is more physically taxing than Suter's. So a 10 year deal for the right cap hit is not a huge stretch.

However, count me in the group that does not think GMDP should just match any offer he gets. I think north of 8.5 million for Suter is too much for a financially responsible team like Nashville. Period. While we all know some teams could (and likely will) offer that, having that percent of your budget in who is arguable not your best player is nuts.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:36 AM
INDhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Why wouldn't we go to 10 years, especially if we can keep the AAV down? Defenseman don't age like forwards.

See Lidstrom, Neidermayer, Borque, etc. He doesn't play a physically taxing game. Odds are in 10 years, Suter will be every bit as effective as any defenseman in the game. Plus, with salary inflation, it might look like a heck of a deal in years 5-10.

If DP doesn't offer the stupid money that someone else does, and he bolts, so be it. But if the sticking point is term and he goes to Minnesota/Detroit because he wants 10 years and we only want to give him 7, that's absurd.
Don't we only get insurance up to 7 yrs? For most teams that doesn't matter but to Nashville it does. We would have to eat 3 yrs of salary if Suter would have a career ending injury. Of course they would structure it so it would have less money on those last 3 but it is still millions. Poile said on the radio yesterday he doesn't like 10 yr contracts but is coming around to it.

Old
06-30-2012, 01:53 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDhockeyfan View Post
Don't we only get insurance up to 7 yrs? For most teams that doesn't matter but to Nashville it does. We would have to eat 3 yrs of salary if Suter would have a career ending injury. Of course they would structure it so it would have less money on those last 3 but it is still millions. Poile said on the radio yesterday he doesn't like 10 yr contracts but is coming around to it.
thats exactly the issue, only 7 years are insured, but hearing poile say he's coming around to it is VERY encouraging.....

I think its gonna take a 10 year deal for Suter and Weber, and I suspect Poile making that comment publicly means he's already talked to ownership and received the OK to do it if necessary

Old
06-30-2012, 01:56 PM
glenngineer

I know Suter and the team ha agreed on numbers but I've always suspected term was the issue. If term is the issue and that appears to being resolved then I feel good about him being back. My guess is 10-12 years at 7 mil per season.

Old
06-30-2012, 01:59 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth5 View Post
Weber's game is more physically taxing than Suter's. So a 10 year deal for the right cap hit is not a huge stretch.

However, count me in the group that does not think GMDP should just match any offer he gets. I think north of 8.5 million for Suter is too much for a financially responsible team like Nashville. Period. While we all know some teams could (and likely will) offer that, having that percent of your budget in who is arguable not your best player is nuts.
I would have agreed with this as recently as a year ago, but the way the league is shaping up, the business model for teams that are gonna be good year in and year out are locking up 4 or 5 key players at huge money for multiple years, and then building around them with replaceable supporting casts, mainly talented but cheap youngsters on ELCs and serviceable vets with low $$ or short term contracts....

Personally I think if my dream scenario came true and we could lock up Suter, Weber and Parise for the next 10 years even if it costs an average cap hit of 8.5 for each player that is preferable to trying to constantly replace the top line and top D-pair...

Old
06-30-2012, 04:13 PM
AEM6729

I'm not anywhere close to sure that Suter will re-sign with us, but if he does I really hope some of the Poile haters shut the **** up for awhile. So much remains to be seen with this situation and the summer as a whole; all this discontent seems a little premature.

People are just upset at the possibility of losing Suter and looking for someone to blame. Let's just wait and see what happens...

Old
06-30-2012, 05:18 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
I'm not anywhere close to sure that Suter will re-sign with us, but if he does I really hope some of the Poile haters shut the **** up for awhile. So much remains to be seen with this situation and the summer as a whole; all this discontent seems a little premature.

People are just upset at the possibility of losing Suter and looking for someone to blame. Let's just wait and see what happens...

Exactly.

I find it funny how just a couple of months ago we saw so many posts proclaiming that Suter was definitely gone ... yet he remains in talks with the Preds. Odds are good that Poile has a substantial offer on the table. If Poile has a serious, and competitive, offer out there the decision to stay or leave lies with the player. I don't blame Suter for wanting to see what the open market offers with it seeming that he wants to sign one long term deal which takes him into the twilight of his career.

Old
06-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Broom of the System

If Suter leaves, fine, I don't really care that much and I wont blame Poile. If Suter leaves and Poile signs Weber to a one year deal, or Weber files for arbitration, that's when I'll jump on the fire Poile bandwagon.

If we lose Suter, he has to immediately do his best to sign Weber long term. If Weber wont stick around long term, Poile has to trade him while his value is sky high.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:31 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom of the System View Post
If Suter leaves, fine, I don't really care that much and I wont blame Poile. If Suter leaves and Poile signs Weber to a one year deal, or Weber files for arbitration, that's when I'll jump on the fire Poile bandwagon.

If we lose Suter, he has to immediately do his best to sign Weber long term. If Weber wont stick around long term, Poile has to trade him while his value is sky high.
why would it be poiles fault if poile offers competitive contracts and they still leave?

Old
06-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
why would it be poiles fault if poile offers competitive contracts and they still leave?
I'm not sure from where in my post you're getting this.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:47 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
If he makes competitive offers yet the players choose to play elsewhere, why jump on the fire Poile bandwagon? Either he did everything in his power to keep our free agents or he didn't. If he did ... any blame falls on the player. If he didn't, he doesn't deserve to keep his job.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:48 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
my bad... misread your post... but Poile still can't control it if Weber files for arbitration

Old
06-30-2012, 06:53 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
my bad... misread your post... but Poile still can't control it if Weber files for arbitration
That I understand, but I think Weber would probably rather be traded than file for arbitration with the intention of leaving next year, so I doubt it comes to that anyway.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
If he makes competitive offers yet the players choose to play elsewhere, why jump on the fire Poile bandwagon? Either he did everything in his power to keep our free agents or he didn't. If he did ... any blame falls on the player. If he didn't, he doesn't deserve to keep his job.
Again, not really sure where this is coming from. I'll jump on the fire Poile bandwagon if he signs Weber for one year and loses him for nothing next year. If Weber wont sign long term, he must be traded, we can't lose Suter and Weber for nothing. If Weber wont commit this offseason, then I highly doubt he will commit long term at all. That's all I'm saying, in general I'm pretty happy with Poile and the job he's done. However, if Weber walks in a year for nothing, my opinion of him will very quickly change...

Old
06-30-2012, 06:57 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
That I understand, but I think Weber would probably rather be traded than file for arbitration with the intention of leaving next year, so I doubt it comes to that anyway.
I'm expecting him to do this summer what the team's arbitration filing prevented last year ... hunt for an offer sheet to set his market value. With Crosby taking a long term, $8.7mil per deal arbitration becomes a risky proposition.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:59 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Disagree, I think he'd become vengeful and try to limit the damage of his future team wrt return on investment

Old
06-30-2012, 07:01 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Again, not really sure where this is coming from. I'll jump on the fire Poile bandwagon if he signs Weber for one year and loses him for nothing next year. If Weber wont sign long term, he must be traded, we can't lose Suter and Weber for nothing. If Weber wont commit this offseason, then I highly doubt he will commit long term at all. That's all I'm saying, in general I'm pretty happy with Poile and the job he's done. However, if Weber walks in a year for nothing, my opinion of him will very quickly change...
Quote:
If Suter leaves and Poile signs Weber to a one year deal, or Weber files for arbitration, that's when I'll jump on the fire Poile bandwagon.
... that's not the same as saying if Weber signs a one year deal and we subsequently lose him for nothing that you'll get on the fire Poile wagon.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
... that's not the same as saying if Weber signs a one year deal and we subsequently lose him for nothing that you'll get on the fire Poile wagon.
To me, it pretty much is, but I should've expressed it more clearly. Weber had a chance last offseason to commit, he has another right now. If he passes both times, why would anyone expect him to change his mind next offseason?

Old
06-30-2012, 07:08 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

2 possible outcomes I see happening this summer

1) Weber signs longterm and we get something else very nice (Suter, Ryan, Parise, whatever)
or
2) Suter leaves, we trade Weber for an ok little package, and do a mini-rebuild

I don't think Weber bothers with arbitration or any 1 year deal for that matter. He'll use offer sheets as leverage, but won't sign one.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:10 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
To me, it pretty much is, but I should've expressed it more clearly. Weber had a chance last offseason to commit, he has another right now. If he passes both times, why would anyone expect him to change his mind next offseason?
I see three distinct gates in your first post that detail your path to the bandwagon. First, Suter leaves. Second, Weber only does a one deal. Third, Poile then doesn't move Weber in the coming weeks/months.

The third of those is the big leap. If Weber doesn't sign a multi year deal either through negotiations with the Preds or a matched offer sheet, I expect Poile to move him.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:12 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
2 possible outcomes I see happening this summer

1) Weber signs longterm and we get something else very nice (Suter, Ryan, Parise, whatever)
or
2) Suter leaves, we trade Weber for an ok little package, and do a mini-rebuild

I don't think Weber bothers with arbitration or any 1 year deal for that matter. He'll use offer sheets as leverage, but won't sign one.
If he doesn't sign one, there's nothing for Poile to match. I wouldn't be surprised if he does sign a 4-6 year offer sheet with the expectation that Poile matches.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:18 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
If he doesn't sign one, there's nothing for Poile to match. I wouldn't be surprised if he does sign a 4-6 year offer sheet with the expectation that Poile matches.
He doesn't have to sign one before he can use it as leverage.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:23 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

I really think the idea that Weber needs leverage is unlikely... i suspect Weber could call poile and dictate his terms, within reason(something under 9x10) and poile would jump put that deal in front of him... its pretty much just up to weber to decide if he wants to stay

Closed Thread