HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jordan Schroeder Ready To Seize Opportunity With Canucks

Old
05-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Big Naissak
4 8 15 16 23 42

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Big Naissak
Jordan Schroeder Ready To Seize Opportunity With Canucks

Quote:
No one has to draw a flow chart for Jordan Schroeder to show him how his stock has risen in the Canucks organization the last few months.

Yes, he’s coming off a very solid season with the AHL Chicago Wolves, but the trade of third-line centre Cody Hodgson at the deadline in late February, along with this week’s news that second-line pivot Ryan Kesler will be out until at least November after shoulder surgery, have Schroeder rocketing up the depth chart.

Sure, a lot can happen between now and training camp, but Schroeder — a small (5-foot-8) but NHL-quick centre the Canucks took 22nd overall in the 2009 NHL entry draft — is determined to make sure he takes full advantage of his opportunity.

“I do [see the opportunity], but I’m not going to look at it as Kesler’s injury was the only way that I made the team,” said Schroeder, 21, from his family’s cabin on Lake Vermilion in northern Minnesota, where he’s planning a weekend of fishing.

“But it does help. My goal, just like anyone else, is to come out and compete for a job. Maybe things like this trickle down and some guys get opportunities that they might not have got before. It’s not good news for him, he’s an awesome player and I’m sure they’ll miss him while he’s out.”

Schroeder had a tough first pro season in Manitoba under head coach Claude Noel, but broadened his game and his stats this year in Chicago. He played both special teams and finished with 21 goals and 44 points in 76 games under coach Craig MacTavish.

Although he freely admits the shift from U.S. college hockey two seasons ago was a shock, he feels he’s ready to challenge for an NHL job this fall.

“I’m going to be totally honest,” he said. “These past two years I needed it, the development. Looking back, I’ve learned so much that I wouldn’t have learned in college if I’d stayed. I’ve learned so many parts of the game that it takes to get to the next level. I’ve still got a long ways to go but I’ve learned a lot.”

Schroeder admits he had to learn some hard lessons from Noel.

“I had a lot of learning to do,” said Schroeder. “Claude Noel told me you’re going to realize what you need to do to be successful. He was pretty hard on me, but I think I’m a better player for it.

“This year, with coach MacTavish, he helped me a lot, adding stuff to my game, trying to make me a better all-around player.”

Schroeder knows that to be successful in the NHL as a small player, you have to be able to put up points. While his speed created scoring chances for him in the AHL, he didn’t convert often enough — and that’s something he wants to rectify.

“I really want to work on my shot this summer,” said Schroeder, who works out in the off-season in his suburban Minneapolis hometown of Lakeville with the likes of NHLers Zach Parise, Kyle Okposo, Drew Stafford and Bryce Salvador.

“I think I can put up a lot more goals than I did this year. It was a big step for me to hit 21 goals, but I think I could have taken off in that area if I would have hit the net more or kept it down and hit the right spots.”
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Jo...medium=twitter

Last edited by Big Naissak: 05-09-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Big Naissak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
So excited for schredder! Can't wait to see him as a canuck

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Just A Bit Outside
Playoffs??!

vCash: 50
Maybe Kassian can put him on his shoulders next season and we could have our own version of MasterBlaster

Just A Bit Outside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Big Naissak
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
So excited for schredder! Can't wait to see him as a canuck
Oh yeah

Old
05-09-2012, 09:29 PM
AvantiCanada*

Sounds like he has a good attitude, a good sense of himself, and best yet, he's honest, truthful and candid.

Very excited to see him in training camp.

AvantiCanada* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Tiranis

Nice to see that he recognizes his weaknesses. He really does miss the net a lot trying to aim for those top corners.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:31 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

I really hope he can make it as our #2C for a bit. Having a smart guy who can use his teammates will do wonders for Booth/Higgins/Raymond and might encourage Kesler to do the same when he comes back.

Although to be fair, that sounds a lot like Hodgson. Shredder definitively plays better D, though, but we'll see once he's with the big boys.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Keifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinka Dene View Post
Sounds like he has a good attitude, a good sense of himself, and best yet, he's honest, truthful and candid.

Very excited to see him in training camp.
i agree, him and especially nicholas jensen i am looking forward to see make the team.

Keifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
I really hope he can make it as our #2C for a bit. Having a smart guy who can use his teammates will do wonders for Booth/Higgins/Raymond and might encourage Kesler to do the same when he comes back.

Although to be fair, that sounds a lot like Hodgson. Shredder definitively plays better D, though, but we'll see once he's with the big boys.
Hodgson was never a big time playmaker, I don't really know where that perception of him came from. He was always a goal scorer that could also pass the puck and had good vision, but he was very much a guy that wanted to make things happen by himself. Just look at his goal and assist totals at every level.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:36 PM
MajorCanuck
Cup Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Hodgson was never a big time playmaker, I don't really know where that perception of him came from. He was always a goal scorer that could also pass the puck and had good vision, but he was very much a guy that wanted to make things happen by himself. Just look at his goal and assist totals at every level.
So you mean he was a complete, potentially game breaker type player.

MajorCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Sounds like he's got a good head on him. I like how he recognizes he needed a couple of seasoning seasons in the AHL, unlike another certain center prospect.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCanuck View Post
So you mean he was a complete, potentially game breaker type player.
Complete? No. He was a liability defensively. Game breaker? No. Skating wasn't good enough and he was undersized.

---

Anyway, if I were to compare Schroeder to anyone it would be a smaller Tomas Plekanec. That's how he plays when he's at his best.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:40 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Quote:
Complete? No. He was a liability defensively. Game breaker? No. Skating wasn't good enough and he was undersized.

---

Anyway, if I were to compare Schroeder to anyone it would be a smaller Tomas Plekanec. That's how he plays when he's at his best.
I always saw Tanguay in him.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
I always saw Tanguay in him.
I don't really get that comparison but I know you're not the first to suggest it. Schroeder is very much a center, he can't really play wing. He's good defensively, can win board battles against bigger players despite his size and recovers pretty well from big hits — none of those are things that Tanguay can do. He's also really worked on shooting more and seems to realize that he needs to keep working on that. I wouldn't be opposed to comparing their game with the puck but Tanguay likes to do a lot of one-on-one stuff whereas Schroeder doesn't.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:50 PM
vadim sharifijanov

can we call him scrotes?

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
I don't think this is entirely accurate. He was very much a playmaker in the World Juniors scoring only 5 goals to his 11 assists.

In fact, the only level where Hodgson scored more goals than assists was in the AHL.

Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
I don't think this is entirely accurate. He was very much a playmaker in the World Juniors scoring only 5 goals to his 11 assists.

In fact, the only level where Hodgson scored more goals than assists was in the AHL.
Close to equal goals and assists at every level but the WJC. Playmakers to me are guys like Henrik, Getzlaf, Tanguay, Giroux, Spezza, etc.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:56 PM
MajorCanuck
Cup Please

Quote:
Close to equal goals and assists at every level but the WJC. Playmakers to me are guys like Henrik, Getzlaf, Tanguay, Giroux, Spezza, etc.
For me, the average player gets 33% of their points from goals. A play maker will get about 75% of their points from assists, while a goal scorer gets about 50% of their points from goals.

Also, I'm really worried about JS's size. 5"9? 175lb?

MajorCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:03 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

It will be exciting to see if he's capable of being an NHL player.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:03 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Really looking forward to seeing what he can do with some talent around him. I've been excited about Schroeder since we drafted him. I really think he's the type of player who will do better as he progresses up our system and gets better linemates.

In training camp I would also like to see a game where we have Jensen-Schroeder-Kassian together.

05-09-2012, 10:07 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
I liked this quote:

Quote:
“I’m going to be totally honest,” he said. “These past two years I needed it, the development. Looking back, I’ve learned so much that I wouldn’t have learned in college if I’d stayed. I’ve learned so many parts of the game that it takes to get to the next level. I’ve still got a long ways to go but I’ve learned a lot.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Basso

Im excited about the kid! lets hope he delivers! He has nice hands and obviously can play in all situations! Would love to see him with hansen and higgins

Basso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Big Naissak
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCanuck View Post
For me, the average player gets 33% of their points from goals. A play maker will get about 75% of their points from assists, while a goal scorer gets about 50% of their points from goals.

Also, I'm really worried about JS's size. 5"9? 175lb?
Let's hope he can be our own little David Desharnais

Old
05-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Samzilla

vCash: 934
Here's hoping when he finally makes the team we don't just trade him at the deadline. Stoked to see Schroeder get his chance.

Samzilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
Here's hoping when he finally makes the team we don't just trade him at the deadline. Stoked to see Schroeder get his chance.
Most players would just shut up and play, look at Jordan Staal for example and he was a 2nd overall draft pick!

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote