HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Jordan Schroeder Ready To Seize Opportunity With Canucks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-19-2012, 08:59 PM
  #226
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 14,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Meh.

The team I want to see is a team that can score, and will physically beat down the opposition. The reason teams like Philly, Pittsburgh, and Chicago failed was because of goaltending. We have the goaltending, we just need the horses up front.
Are you pulling for Jordan Schroeder to crack the lineup?

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 09:06 PM
  #227
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,680
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Are you pulling for Jordan Schroeder to crack the lineup?
You must have missed the part where I said "can score." If Schroeder can bring the offense, others can bring the physicality.

__________________
May 17, 2014: The day nightlife changes in Vancouver...ask me how.
y2kcanucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 09:15 PM
  #228
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 14,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
You must have missed the part where I said "can score." If Schroeder can bring the offense, others can bring the physicality.
In theory.

The reality is there are a lot of forwards that should be back next year that are average sized. If the Canucks want to get bigger up front it'll be exceptionally difficult if the 5'5 Jordan Schroeder makes the team.

If he shows well at camp next fall and earns a roster spot, great. Just don't expect the team to bigger or any tougher to play against with him in the lineup.

IMO it was a mistake not giving him at least a 3 game look at some point this season. Now we have absolutely no clue as to how close he is to cracking the lineup.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 10:03 PM
  #229
Lundface
Registered User
 
Lundface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,935
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Meh.

The team I want to see is a team that can score, and will physically beat down the opposition. The reason teams like Philly, Pittsburgh, and Chicago failed was because of goaltending. We have the goaltending, we just need the horses up front.
We need another piece upfront, but our defence is sickening at times. Need a more stable defence and another game breaker upfront , because our second line was useless.

Lundface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 03:50 AM
  #230
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,680
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundface View Post
We need another piece upfront, but our defence is sickening at times. Need a more stable defence and another game breaker upfront , because our second line was useless.
Agreed. I also think that defenseman must be a puck mover. Unfortunately the kind of swift skating puck mover that we need, we let go last year. Someone like Letang or Karlsson would absolutely make our offense better, but they are a rare breed.

I'm not too familiar with Justin Schultz....does he fit that mould?

y2kcanucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:43 AM
  #231
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba
 
putridgasbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Comox Valley
Posts: 1,132
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
In theory.

The reality is there are a lot of forwards that should be back next year that are average sized. If the Canucks want to get bigger up front it'll be exceptionally difficult if the 5'5 Jordan Schroeder makes the team.

If he shows well at camp next fall and earns a roster spot, great. Just don't expect the team to bigger or any tougher to play against with him in the lineup.

IMO it was a mistake not giving him at least a 3 game look at some point this season. Now we have absolutely no clue as to how close he is to cracking the lineup.

No you and I and other fans may have no clue as to how close he is to cracking the lineup, but I am fairly certain that the GM and the rest of management do. I feel confident in stating that Gillis and Co. just might have a better handle on how he is developing and progressing towards the big team, than say you or me.

putridgasbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:45 AM
  #232
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 14,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by putridgasbag View Post
No you and I and other fans may have no clue as to how close he is to cracking the lineup, but I am fairly certain that the GM and the rest of management do. I feel confident in stating that Gillis and Co. just might have a better handle on how he is developing and progressing towards the big team, than say you or me.
I wish you were right. Unfortunately, at this point management would be taking a wild guess as to how effective Schroeder will be at the NHL level.

If management is banking on Schroeder making the team out of camp next year it was a no-brainer to give him at least a cup of coffee this past sseason.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:58 AM
  #233
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I wish you were right. Unfortunately, at this point management would be taking a wild guess as to how effective Schroeder will be at the NHL level.

If management is banking on Schroeder making the team out of camp next year it was a no-brainer to give him at least a cup of coffee this past sseason.
They said he had earned time last season, but cap related factors didn't allow it.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:19 PM
  #234
Hodgy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
They said he had earned time last season, but cap related factors didn't allow it.
That isn't relevant.

Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:46 PM
  #235
lindgren
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
That isn't relevant.
It's perfectly relevant to the post he was replying to.

lindgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 01:23 PM
  #236
Bgav
We Stylin'
 
Bgav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,898
vCash: 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
That isn't relevant.
STILL upset about the hodgson trade?

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 02:28 PM
  #237
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 14,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
They said he had earned time last season, but cap related factors didn't allow it.
Didn't Daniel's injury change that? I thought they could have afforded Ballard's $4.2mil if he had been ready...

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 02:49 PM
  #238
opendoor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Didn't Daniel's injury change that? I thought they could have afforded Ballard's $4.2mil if he had been ready...
They had space for Schroeder with or without Daniel's injury, as Ballard's LTIR space left them tons of room.

People really need to take Gillis' comments about who he's going to call up with a grain of salt. Wasn't Reinprecht going to be recalled the moment the regular season ended according to everyone's reading of his comments?

If there was the will to get Schroeder time in the NHL this season it could've easily happened. Cap space and roster spots weren't an issue over the last couple of months of the season.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 02:57 PM
  #239
John Bender
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,034
vCash: 500
I don't know why, but I have no confidence in Schroeder. I just see him as another Brandon Reid, Steve Kariya type. Small player with success at lower levels, but that's it.

I hope I am wrong.

John Bender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:41 PM
  #240
CP
Registered User
 
CP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 469
vCash: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheGiant View Post
I don't know why, but I have no confidence in Schroeder. I just see him as another Brandon Reid, Steve Kariya type. Small player with success at lower levels, but that's it.

I hope I am wrong.
I agree. He seems too small to be an effective bottom six checking center taking on a shut down roll, and he hasn't put up enough points in the AHL to warrant a top six position. He may be okay, but smaller players typically need to put up more points to justify a spot in the line-up. Unless he improves offensively, I don't see him cracking the line-up full time.

CP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:02 PM
  #241
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP View Post
I agree. He seems too small to be an effective bottom six checking center taking on a shut down roll, and he hasn't put up enough points in the AHL to warrant a top six position. He may be okay, but smaller players typically need to put up more points to justify a spot in the line-up. Unless he improves offensively, I don't see him cracking the line-up full time.
Have you even seen him play?

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:07 PM
  #242
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Have you even seen him play?
No need, his stats are on the interweb.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:27 PM
  #243
A Sequel to Failure
Registered User
 
A Sequel to Failure's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheGiant View Post
I don't know why, but I have no confidence in Schroeder. I just see him as another Brandon Reid, Steve Kariya type. Small player with success at lower levels, but that's it.

I hope I am wrong.
Well clearly, you do know why.

Just curious, how many games have you watched him play? Oh, nevermind...


Last edited by A Sequel to Failure: 05-20-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Tiranis beat me to the question.
A Sequel to Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:47 PM
  #244
CP
Registered User
 
CP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 469
vCash: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Have you even seen him play?
In the NHL - zero. You?

CP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:56 PM
  #245
Hodgy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindgren View Post
It's perfectly relevant to the post he was replying to.
I should have elaborated. My point was that it is irrelevant whether he deserved to have a call up or not, because many players who deserve call ups are not able to make the NHL for whatever reason.

Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:07 PM
  #246
John Bender
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Sequel to Failure View Post
Well clearly, you do know why.

Just curious, how many games have you watched him play? Oh, nevermind...
Since you are a professional scout, fill us in, will you?

How about rather than just denigrate the other posts, maybe add something to the discussion......like how it is we are wrong? I'd love to be wrong, believe me.

The childish posts here are aggravating.

John Bender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:19 PM
  #247
A Sequel to Failure
Registered User
 
A Sequel to Failure's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheGiant View Post
Since you are a professional scout, fill us in, will you?

How about rather than just denigrate the other posts, maybe add something to the discussion......like how it is we are wrong? I'd love to be wrong, believe me.

The childish posts here are aggravating.
If you're gonna post something to the effect of "I just have a feeling" then why should I even take your post seriously? If you have nothing behind what YOU say, don't expect a intelligent response.

Ya know, I feel bad for Tiranis. He posts decent opinions and observations after actually watching jordan play, and yet still people say things like "we just don't know what we have in this kid, he's gonna be Ried, I have a feeling."


Last edited by A Sequel to Failure: 05-20-2012 at 07:30 PM.
A Sequel to Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:21 PM
  #248
Bgav
We Stylin'
 
Bgav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,898
vCash: 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP View Post
In the NHL - zero. You?
He's seen almost all of schroeders games in the ahl.. He's knows a lot more then you do about schroeder

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:28 PM
  #249
Slapshot_11
Registered User
 
Slapshot_11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
He's seen almost all of schroeders games in the ahl.. He's knows a lot more then you do about schroeder
But hes also a JS fanboy

Slapshot_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:34 PM
  #250
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
He's seen almost all of schroeders games in the ahl.. He's knows a lot more then you do about schroeder
Well, not that many. I saw Schroeder play about 15 full games in the AHL this season. I saw him play over 30 games last season. But even if people don't want to trust me, there are posts by thefeebster and orcatown around — both praised Schroeder for improving his all-around game this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP View Post
In the NHL - zero. You?
You look at stats but you have no reference point for them. He was 3rd on the Wolves in points and 2nd in ES points. He produced remarkably well for the role and the linemates he was given. If you want to look at his points then it warrants mentioning that this is the first year Schroeder scored as much as he assisted — based on what I saw, I draw the conclusion that he played with inferior linemates that didn't capitalize on a lot of the chances he created (especially early on in the year).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot_11 View Post
But hes also a JS fanboy
I like Schroeder as a prospect but that's about it. I think his game projects well to the next level, especially because he's defensively responsible and despite his size doesn't lose that many battles to bigger players. I don't think he's guilty of playing AHL-type game like Reid and Kariya or even Haydar.

---

I'm not going to pretend like I know JS will be an NHL player, that's impossible to say even with bigger players let alone smaller ones like JS. My main issue is with people questioning his offensive game or comparing him to Kariya, Reid, Tambellini, Haydar, etc. — those players didn't make it because they didn't play NHL type game rather than because of their size alone, whereas Schroeder actually does play in a way that should transition to the NHL.


Last edited by Tiranis: 05-20-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.