HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Jordan Schroeder Ready To Seize Opportunity With Canucks

Old
05-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
Here's hoping when he finally makes the team we don't just trade him at the deadline. Stoked to see Schroeder get his chance.
Have we heard a single negative thing about Schroeder since he got drafted by us? He's got the perfect attitude to make it. Spent 2 years in the AHL and never complained, all he talks about is how much he has learnt and how he needs to be better. All we heard from Hodgson is how much it sucks that Duchene and Stamkos are lighting it up while he's stuck down at the farm. He always thought he was too good for the AHL. Hell, he thought he was too good for our 3rd line even.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Most players would just shut up and play, look at Jordan Staal for example and he was a 2nd overall draft pick!
Except he's playing behind arguably the best 2 players in the NHL, and Staal is more suited to a checking role. Plus Staal still gets 20 minutes of ice time per night. What is there to complain about?

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:28 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Have we heard a single negative thing about Schroeder since he got drafted by us? He's got the perfect attitude to make it. Spent 2 years in the AHL and never complained, all he talks about is how much he has learnt and how he needs to be better. All we heard from Hodgson is how much it sucks that Duchene and Stamkos are lighting it up while he's stuck down at the farm. He always thought he was too good for the AHL. Hell, he thought he was too good for our 3rd line even.
Source?

05-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Source?
Every single interview with Hodgson? He NEVER failed to mention that Duchene was in the NHL and he wasn't.

Old
05-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Big Naissak
4 8 15 16 23 42

Send a message via Skype™ to Big Naissak
Cmon guys don't start turning this into another Hodgson debate thread... Just let it go.

Big Naissak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:35 PM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCanuck View Post
Also, I'm really worried about JS's size. 5"9? 175lb?
Mike Cammaleri - 5'9, 190 pounds
Tyler Ennis - 5'9, 164 pounds
Derek Roy - 5'8, 188 pounds
Martin St. Louis - 5'8, 176 pounds
Chad Larose - 5'8, 185 pounds
Nathan Gerbe - 5'5, 173 pounds

I wasn't concerned about his size when we drafted him, and I'm not concerned now.

King of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Positive to see him reflect on Noel and MacTavish's coaching in such a mature way. Some players with his pedigree would have been a bit nonplussed to be put through the gears the way these coaches (especially Noel) did, but at the very least, he's talking the talk.

I thought he had a great camp and a solid season in the AHL this year, hopefully he can build on that this fall.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:38 PM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Every single interview with Hodgson? He NEVER failed to mention that Duchene was in the NHL and he wasn't.
EVERY single interview? I can't think of a time he EVER said that! Maybe I just missed it, but could you provide a link to a couple? I'd like to see how he worded it.

Schroeder, being a playmaker, could be just the tonic our shoot-first second line needs though. It'll be intriguing to see what kind of scoring he can get out of David Booth!

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Also...let's keep the discussion to Schroeder here, please.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:43 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Quote:
I don't really get that comparison but I know you're not the first to suggest it. Schroeder is very much a center, he can't really play wing. He's good defensively, can win board battles against bigger players despite his size and recovers pretty well from big hits none of those are things that Tanguay can do. He's also really worked on shooting more and seems to realize that he needs to keep working on that. I wouldn't be opposed to comparing their game with the puck but Tanguay likes to do a lot of one-on-one stuff whereas Schroeder doesn't.
It's not an identical comparison. I was comparing how they look with the puck rather than the battles along the board that you are mentioning. Tanguay likes to play 1v1 and then look for the trailer, something I have noticed Schroeder does a lot as well. Who knows, you've watched him more. It's just something that caught my eye. Tanguay is the perfect complimentary top 6 forward and it would be awesome if Schroeder could turn out to be like him.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:46 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
It's not an identical comparison. I was comparing how they look with the puck rather than the battles along the board that you are mentioning. Tanguay likes to play 1v1 and then look for the trailer, something I have noticed Schroeder does a lot as well. Who knows, you've watched him more. It's just something that caught my eye. Tanguay is the perfect complimentary top 6 forward and it would be awesome if Schroeder could turn out to be like him.
Fair enough, that makes sense.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:15 PM
School of WristShot

Some how if we can get Wilson and JVR and re-unite them with Schroeder.
That would be exciting to watch the young American Express line which actually has a chemistry. Wilson was rumored to be in Trotz's dog house and JVR also seems expendable.

School of WristShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:36 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
This almost turned into a Hodgson vs. Schroeder thread didn't it?

About the size thing, I'd much rather have a small, skilled center than a small, skilled winger. You can always go the Twin Towers route on either flank to help him out in board battles, which we conveniently have in Jensen and Kassian.

But more importantly, it's high time we restored some playmaking creativity and vision to this roster. Too many tunnel-vision, two-way grinders and not enough complementary skill.

I've also wondered about whether pass-first or shoot-first centers get the most production out of their linemates, actually. At ES the play mainly tends to go through them as they have the most responsibility on their line, so you'd think the playmaker would be more successful at putting up points 5-on-5, assuming all other things are equal for both.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:43 PM
ProstheticConscience
Seeing is believing

vCash: 883
Well, now all we have to do is strap AV to a chair Clockwork Orange style and zap him with electric shocks every time we show him a picture of Schroeder on the bench then feed him and allow him bathroom breaks after showing him footage of Schroeder skating ingame. Should take a couple of weeks for it to take.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:50 PM
CanucksSayEh

Kinda short, but if he's truly 175, that's very solid and nothing to worry about. Also the real muscle strength should be kicking in over the next year at his age.

CanucksSayEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:52 PM
David Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to David Booth Fan
Hodgson 2.0, lets hope we can trade him for another Kassian.

David Booth Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:57 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Anarchy View Post

I wasn't concerned about his size when we drafted him, and I'm not concerned now.
If he was 6'0 - 6'3, he's drafted in the top 10.

LiquidSnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:58 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

If Schroeder is 5'8" at 175 lbs he does have some decent muscle. I imagine he can add another 5 lbs of muscle this offseason, then he is essentially the weight of Raymond except 4 inches shorter.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:58 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksSayEh View Post
Kinda short, but if he's truly 175, that's very solid and nothing to worry about. Also the real muscle strength should be kicking in over the next year at his age.
He was a workout warrior in college and did very well with the strength testing coming out of college iirc

I know people are looking for big changes up front but if this kid could fill the role Hodgson had to start the season while playing well defensively, we'd have a lineup that should be able to score. There's nothing wrong with giving him some gravy minutes as long as he's playing well enough at both ends to win the battle.

Twins/Burr
Higgins/Kesler/Hansen
Booth/Schroeder/Kassian
Malhotra/Lapierre/Weise

Scurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:20 AM
Alan Jackson

In my opinion, Schroeder has no shot under the current coach. We shall see how it plays out, but I think I have a pretty good idea.

If he's not able to produce immediately and consistently as a top six forward, AV wil have no time for him.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:21 AM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
In my opinion, Schroeder has no shot under the current coach. We shall see how it plays out, but I think I have a pretty good idea.

If he's not able to produce immediately and consistently as a top six forward, AV wil have no time for him.
I've heard this before. What makes his situation different from Hodgson's?

Old
05-10-2012, 12:22 AM
Falconator

Showing a lot of maturity, kind of undersized. Look forward to seeing him in the fall camps.

Falconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:25 AM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Anarchy View Post

Wow, Ennis is small. I'm pretty skinny and he weighs about five pounds more than me.

canucksfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:33 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I've heard this before. What makes his situation different from Hodgson's?
I've seen a real committment (or at least flashes of it) to the play without the puck from Schroeder. Don't see it as a same situation. That always is a plus in AV's books. Whether his body can stand up to that over the course of a season remains to be seen - but at least he's not a lean short player.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:36 AM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
I've seen a real committment (or at least flashes of it) to the play without the puck from Schroeder. Don't see it as a same situation. That always is a plus in AV's books. Whether his body can stand up to that over the course of a season remains to be seen - but at least he's not a lean short player.
Ummm.... you missed the boat. I was responding to someone saying that there is no way Schroeder gets a shot. If Hodgson can, why can't Schroeder? I think they are similar players in similar positions at this point.

I do agree with your point though. AV will have an easier time of it with Schroeder if he can show more defensively.