HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Jordan Schroeder Ready To Seize Opportunity With Canucks

Old
05-10-2012, 12:40 AM
Barney Gumble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Ummm.... you missed the boat. I was responding to someone saying that there is no way Schroeder gets a shot. If Hodgson can, why can't Schroeder? I think they are similar players in similar positions at this point.

I do agree with your point though. AV will have an easier time of it with Schroeder if he can show more defensively.
ahhh....I have to learn to read more carefully.

Looks like MacT is doing a good job on his continued development on the Wolves.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:46 AM
Andre Boudrias

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Andre Boudrias
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCanuck View Post
Also, I'm really worried about JS's size. 5"9? 175lb?
He is not really 5"9, more like 5'6 - 5"7. I met him in Chicago and while we talked I looked down at him. I'm 5"9.

Andre Boudrias is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:53 AM
CanucksSayEh

Hard to tip over!.....unlike the man he's replacing....

CanucksSayEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:55 AM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
ahhh....I have to learn to read more carefully.

Looks like MacT is doing a good job on his continued development on the Wolves.
Your point was still a good one. Hodgson scored in that role but was giving up too much. If Schroeder can replicate the offence while playing good defence, he'll be a big help to this team.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:56 AM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
This almost But more importantly, it's high time we restored some playmaking creativity and vision to this roster. Too many tunnel-vision, two-way grinders and not enough complementary skill.

I've also wondered about whether pass-first or shoot-first centers get the most production out of their linemates, actually. At ES the play mainly tends to go through them as they have the most responsibility on their line, so you'd think the playmaker would be more successful at putting up points 5-on-5, assuming all other things are equal for both.
As long as Schroeder wants the puck on his stick when the game is on the line, that's what matters more than anything.

Don't need to have the center be another Henrik, getting goal totals in the high teens, low twenties and 80 plus assists. Hanks passes up way too many good shooting opportunities. Rather see a 40/60 split between goals/assists for any player. 20/80 split isn't very good. Makes it easier for the opposition to play pass and dare you to shoot.

If Schroeder is going to shoot the puck, he has to hit the net. Good that he's aiming high, since goalies cover the bottom of the net so well these days, but he can't be shooting the puck over the bar or wide too often.

Nucks need more scoring. Silver lining in Kesler's injury if Schroeder can seize the 2nd line center opening and run with it.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:19 AM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
Wow, Ennis is small. I'm pretty skinny and he weighs about five pounds more than me.
Pretty funny to see all these players, and then probably the best one on the list - Martin St. Louis fits my frame to a tee...except the beer belly, he's probably 100% muscle.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:24 AM
MTechnik
Clutch

vCash: 105
Watch AV turn this guy into a grinder or ruin him.

MTechnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:27 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Based Kesler View Post
Not AV's biggest fan but comments like this make me go...

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:36 AM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
The comment is unnecessarily ominous, but think of all the up-and-comers that have developed under AV's reign: Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, Raymond, Edler, Bieksa, Rome (to some extent) all have a notable physical edge, with Raymond being the exception to the rule. Do I think this will happen? No. But you have to consider the fact that Hodgson was given more minutes than he would probably be regularly entitled to this year to showcase him for trade.

You gotta think he won't be given as many spoon-fed opportunities as Cody was given during his time here, but that hardly translates into ruining Schroeder the player and his natural game or effectiveness. As long as you are reliable defensively, AV is going to give you ice time and trust your offensive instincts.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:47 AM
asdfman
Weeeee

I doubt Schroeder's agent will **** at Gillis as much as Hodgson's, but we'll see how that turns out...if he's good enough defensively to fill in a third line role, I'll be glad for him to have a roster spot because of his offensive edge over Pahlsson or Malhotra

asdfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:47 AM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

vCash: 50
was always a Hodgson fan over a Schroeder fan, but I wanna see this kid play.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:58 AM
Mojo Risin*
Burrows #1 fan

I'd like to see him grab the 3rd line C job, I think he'll be a good player. He should be flanked by Higgins and Hansen. Booth and Kesler need a playmaking winger to join them on the 2nd line. Unless Kassian has a huge camp, he will be on the 4th line again.

Mojo Risin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:53 AM
jimmythescot

Remember when Schroeder had attitude problems and Hodgson was one of the greatest leaders of men to walk the Earth?

Just goes to show that you're more likely to get uncoached answers with guys going to US colleges since they're not allowed agents. I'd much rather a guy tells the truth about what he talked with his coach about than one that makes stuff up to make himself look good.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:04 AM
Shareefruck

I still don't buy this idea that Hodgson is now some sort of locker room cancer who sells poison milk to school-children and Schroeder is some class act, either. Classic case of fans focusing on the negatives when a player leaves, IMO.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:29 AM
Vajakki

Right now it's his job to lose. I thought he had a very good chance of making the team even with Kesler ready to go because I don't expect Malhotra to be any better than he was this year and Lapierre is mostly a fourth liner. Also you have to give a chance someday. If you have at least some promise there, you can't go and sign only veterans to do that job. You can't replace Kesler either, so it's pointless to even start looking.

I'm hoping he has a good training camp and once the season starts, he is ready to do what Hodgson did this year. He might be better defensively than Hodgson but at the same time he is very small so I'm not sure how that will go. Offensively he won't match Hodgson's skill, but if he can overcome the size disadvantage I'm sure he will have better all around game than Hodgson with some scoring touch aswell.

Very interesting to see how Schroeder, Tanev and Kassian will look like come September. All of them should have a very good chance making the lineup and even play a major role. Also you could add in the wild cards in Jensen, Connauton and even Friesen and Corrado. Prospects looking good indeed.

Vajakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:34 AM
JayBeautiful
Nature Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I still don't buy this idea that Hodgson is now some sort of locker room cancer who sells poison milk to school-children and Schroeder is some class act, either. Classic case of fans focusing on the negatives when a player leaves, IMO.
exactly right, Hodgson's days were numbered right from training camp 2010-11 when AV called him out for faking an injury that later turned out to be basically a broken back, I suspect that Schroeder will be given every chance and more (at least I hope so) to make the team hoping the fan base will forget how AV screwed over Hodgson every chance he got.

JayBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 07:24 AM
Ajackalit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBeautiful View Post
exactly right, Hodgson's days were numbered right from training camp 2010-11 when AV called him out for faking an injury that later turned out to be basically a broken back, I suspect that Schroeder will be given every chance and more (at least I hope so) to make the team hoping the fan base will forget how AV screwed over Hodgson every chance he got.
Or a torn muscle.......

Ajackalit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:53 AM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
In my opinion, Schroeder has no shot under the current coach. We shall see how it plays out, but I think I have a pretty good idea.

If he's not able to produce immediately and consistently as a top six forward, AV wil have no time for him.
AV has no issues with young players PROVIDED they can play the defensive side of the puck 5-on-5. Hodgson struggled with that not so much from a hockey sense pint of view but because physically he just wasn't able to get to where he needs to be...especially when the opposition is in a quick transition. Hansen was in the "doghouse" at times because early in his career he could kill penalties but was lost 5-on-5. Raymond from the get go had a good two-way game and was trusted with icetime.

Schroeder spent the past season learning the defensive aspects of the game that will allow him to be used in the NHL in the bottom 6 and for AV to trust him.

If Schroeder can play well on the defensive side of the puck he'll be able to fit into the bottom 6 better than Hodgson could.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I've heard this before. What makes his situation different from Hodgson's?
Even if it's the same, Hodgson was given a great opportunity here in Vancouver. He was given #3C duties as an NHL rookie on a back-to-back President's Trophy winning team, I fail to see how AV didn't give him a chance. Imagine Hodgson just shut up and played hockey, that opportunity would likely have increased this year. He may have centered a line with Booth and Kesler as his wingers, or been given more minutes centering his own line in order to cut Kesler's minutes a bit.

AV gives young players an opportunity, he just brings them along slowly. As fans, it pisses us off because we're excited to see our draft picks play, but overall AV has been pretty good with the way he's dealt with young players. I think he's done a fantastic job with Hansen, Schneider, Hodgson, and more recently Tanev. He's made some mistakes, but who hasn't? I'm not a huge AV supporter, but it has nothing to do with how he develops our young players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Hahah.. It's hilarious to me how this is the perception of many Canuck fans.

Luck 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
AV sang his praises at the end of camp last year, and by all accounts, Schroeder had a strong development year in Chicago. He's got as good a shot as anyone (except for Jensen. If AV can find a way to keep him in the lineup, he will, IMO)

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:25 AM
NYVanfan

does schroeder have any grit to his game?

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:31 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
AV has no issues with young players PROVIDED they can play the defensive side of the puck 5-on-5. Hodgson struggled with that not so much from a hockey sense pint of view but because physically he just wasn't able to get to where he needs to be...especially when the opposition is in a quick transition. Hansen was in the "doghouse" at times because early in his career he could kill penalties but was lost 5-on-5. Raymond from the get go had a good two-way game and was trusted with icetime.

Schroeder spent the past season learning the defensive aspects of the game that will allow him to be used in the NHL in the bottom 6 and for AV to trust him.

If Schroeder can play well on the defensive side of the puck he'll be able to fit into the bottom 6 better than Hodgson could.
Agreed.. Sort of. Check out some of these players TOI/G when they were rookies (or in their first full~ NHL season).

Kesler - 14:02 min
Burrows - 11:26 min
Hansen - 12:30 min
Raymond - 13:42 min

Hodgson - 13:49 min

The players I listed aside from Hodgson were fast two-way forwards as rookies, they were given pretty good ice time. Hodgson scoffed at that amount of ice time as a rookie, but that's rare. In Schroeder's case, he'll likely get an average of 12mins per night. If he were a winger, that total would increase. Keep in mind, the primary problem is a rookie centerman is their faceoff %. Typically, rookies are around the 40% mark. Because of that, it's hard to give them defensive zone starts or even offensive zone starts when you're behind on the score board. Hopefully Schroeder can really dazzle AV with his defensive play and gain his trust, but it would surprise me if Schroeder was our #3C going into playoffs barring injury.

Luck 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Proto

Well, if Hockey Widow is to be believed, then he better hope he shines in a brief audition as the 2nd line centre, because AV and company want to run 2 checking lines again next year -- and we know how that story goes.

Personally, I'd love to see a third line built as a fast/young scoring line and an elite shutdown 4th line, but that doesn't seem to be what the Canucks want to do.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Someone here who is good at photoshop should combine these two pics:

[IMG]http://content.****************/logos/1/29/full/283.gif[/IMG]

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Based Kesler View Post
Ya how dare AV demand young players develop a 2-way game...

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote