HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jordan Schroeder Ready To Seize Opportunity With Canucks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-16-2012, 09:28 PM
  #176
Hodgy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
He finished 2nd on the team in even strength points and goals while playing with Sweatt and Davies, I think that says everything one needs to know. If he had played on the 1st PP unit then you would likely see him put up around .75-80PPG and with better linemates at even strength maybe even better. Also, he finished just behind Haydar in +/- and way above Mancari.

Honestly, right now it's all about whether he can overcome his size to make it in the NHL. He's got the smarts, skills and commitment to succeed.
Of course that begs the question: Why wasn't he on the number one powerplay?

Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:29 PM
  #177
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
Of course that begs the question: Why wasn't he on the number one powerplay?
Because he plays where Haydar plays.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:33 PM
  #178
Hodgy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Because he plays where Haydar plays.
And Schroeder is incapable of adjusting his game? Moreover, it isn't really a great sign that Schroeder can't usurp a career AHLer with declining numbers.

Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:45 PM
  #179
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 18,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
And Schroeder is incapable of adjusting his game? Moreover, it isn't really a great sign that Schroeder can't usurp a career AHLer with declining numbers.
So clearly that means
Haydar>Schroeder>Hodgson

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:32 PM
  #180
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
And Schroeder is incapable of adjusting his game? Moreover, it isn't really a great sign that Schroeder can't usurp a career AHLer with declining numbers.
I don't know if its just me but there is just something funny to me about a person with the user name "Hodgy" being really hard on Schroeder.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:00 PM
  #181
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
And Schroeder is incapable of adjusting his game? Moreover, it isn't really a great sign that Schroeder can't usurp a career AHLer with declining numbers.
Mancari and Haydar are proven AHL players, they're going to get the ice time because of seniority and because they're still almost PPG players who excel on the PP. Miller played in front of the net most of the season.

If they put on Schroeder on that 1st unit they would have literally no one left for the 2nd unit. Why make Schroeder play somewhere he's not comfortable when he can be on the 2nd unit?

More to the point, what does it even matter in the scheme of things? I would rather a player that can perform at even strength than a PP specialist.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:18 AM
  #182
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatles View Post
I can't remember if it was Tiranis or another poster in the Wolves thread but they said a lot like Hodgson he didn't have the line mates to finish some of the great passes he dished out so he took things into his own hands & started putting more rubber towards the net.
That would make sense - otherwise, a playmaker like him should have at least twice as many assists as goals.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:25 AM
  #183
dingdong
Registered User
 
dingdong's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 802
vCash: 500
It would be funny if the headline was "Jordan Schroeder Not Ready to Seize Opportunity With Canucks"

dingdong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:25 AM
  #184
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Mancari and Haydar are proven AHL players, they're going to get the ice time because of seniority and because they're still almost PPG players who excel on the PP. Miller played in front of the net most of the season.

If they put on Schroeder on that 1st unit they would have literally no one left for the 2nd unit. Why make Schroeder play somewhere he's not comfortable when he can be on the 2nd unit?

More to the point, what does it even matter in the scheme of things? I would rather a player that can perform at even strength than a PP specialist.
Is there somewhere that tracks ES point totals for AHL players?

Also, was Schroeder-Jensen ever tried? Those two playing with Rodin might have been something.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:32 AM
  #185
Hodgy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Mancari and Haydar are proven AHL players, they're going to get the ice time because of seniority and because they're still almost PPG players who excel on the PP. Miller played in front of the net most of the season.

If they put on Schroeder on that 1st unit they would have literally no one left for the 2nd unit. Why make Schroeder play somewhere he's not comfortable when he can be on the 2nd unit?

More to the point, what does it even matter in the scheme of things? I would rather a player that can perform at even strength than a PP specialist.
Those are good points. To add to that the Wolves were 5th overall in PP percentage which makes Schroeder's lack of powerplay time a little less concerning.

Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:35 AM
  #186
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 20,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Mancari and Haydar are proven AHL players, they're going to get the ice time because of seniority and because they're still almost PPG players who excel on the PP. Miller played in front of the net most of the season.
As well we're talking about the Chicago Wolves and not the old Manitoba Moose. Different priorities for each organization.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:40 AM
  #187
Hodgy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
As well we're talking about the Chicago Wolves and not the old Manitoba Moose. Different priorities for each organization.
True. Although that shouldn't really be an excuse so to speak. You want your prospects to be the go-to-guys.

Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:42 AM
  #188
whoshouse
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
Those are good points. To add to that the Wolves were 5th overall in PP percentage which makes Schroeder's lack of powerplay time a little less concerning.
That doesn't sound right..

whoshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:44 AM
  #189
Hodgy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoshouse View Post
That doesn't sound right..
Sorry, you are right. I was looking at 2010-2011. They were actually bottom 5 this season, which makes Schroeder's inability to get on the top powerplay unit even more concerning.

Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 05:39 AM
  #190
Jevo
Registered User
 
Jevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Denmark
Posts: 2,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
As well we're talking about the Chicago Wolves and not the old Manitoba Moose. Different priorities for each organization.
Not really true. Manitoba Moose was also an organisation committed to winning, the two aren't really that different. Chicago just got a bad rep because their NHL affiliate had horrible prospects management, but the blame ended up in Chicago.

Jevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:28 AM
  #191
Nuck This
Registered User
 
Nuck This's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
True. Although that shouldn't really be an excuse so to speak. You want your prospects to be the go-to-guys.
Schroeder is a better all around player than Hodgson. Let it go. Get used to him because he's the reason the love of your life has left you. Move on.

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:33 AM
  #192
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 20,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
Not really true. Manitoba Moose was also an organisation committed to winning, the two aren't really that different. Chicago just got a bad rep because their NHL affiliate had horrible prospects management, but the blame ended up in Chicago.
I was always under the impression the Wolves didn't have a problem bringing-in "hired guns" themselves to bolster their lineup (now I realize the Moose did that to but I always under the impression the Moose/Canucks worked together in this regard - to the point of splitting costs of some AHL vets on big salaries).


Last edited by Barney Gumble: 05-17-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:20 AM
  #193
LPH
[hello] :)
 
LPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 41,412
vCash: 500
With Keslers injury I see Schoeder getting a big opportunity next year, what are the chances that he centers the third line next year. Ideally I would like to see him play with Kassian and Hansen/Jensen and see Higgins move up (unless we grab a winger as a FA or through trade but whatever.
I know that I'll mess up wings but I really just want to see others projected rosters for next year.

Sedin sedin burrows
Higgins ____ Booth
Hansen Schroeder Kassian
Malhotra Lapierre Doesn't matter (weise, Bitz, Pinizzotto the list goes on and on)

Does Schroeder play #2C or Pahllson. If no Pahllson, then we're stuck with Schroeder playing #2C and Lapierre playing #3C and Malhotra on the 4rth.

Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Garrison (seems like the most likely out of Schultz, him and weber)
Ballard/Salo Tanev (I have believe that if Garrason or someone like that gets signed than eithor Salo or Ballard get dumped and I don't think Tanev has the size or shot to break the top 4 next year but I guess we'll see how he plays in training camp

Schnieder
Lack/FA backup (I think lack is capable but you never know I guess)

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 07:38 PM
  #194
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
Hodgson was barely a 40-50 guy in the AHL.
True, but he trained like crazy to dramatically increase his speed and strength in the off-season.

Schroeder can do the same thing, sure-- but that isn't exactly something you'd expect from every rookie. You don't make expectations based on what one other player did, anyways-- otherwise we should be disappointed every year that Hansen doesn't become a 30 goal scorer.

Besides, for my money, Hodgson was a special case-- his talent, skill, and brain were already elite, but his lack of strength and speed were clearly the only thing holding him back-- There isn't really one or two things Schroeder can zero in on this off-season and expect a dramatic improvement from.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:06 PM
  #195
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater
 
shortshorts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
True, but he trained like crazy to dramatically increase his speed and strength in the off-season.

Schroeder can do the same thing, sure-- but that isn't exactly something you'd expect from every rookie. You don't make expectations based on what one other player did, anyways-- otherwise we should be disappointed every year that Hansen doesn't become a 30 goal scorer.

Besides, for my money, Hodgson was a special case-- his talent, skill, and brain were already elite, but his lack of strength and speed were clearly the only thing holding him back-- There isn't really one or two things Schroeder can zero in on this off-season and expect a dramatic improvement from.
I have no idea what your point is. Schroeder "trained like crazy to dramatically" improve on his two-way play throughout the season and is committed on working on his shot this off-season. Unlike Hodgson his speed and strength are the least of his worries for making it into the NHL.

Schroeder has great vision on the ice defensively, and offensively. He's also quite talented and skillfull and the only thing holding him back is the worry his height will be a hindrance to the NHL level.

I also don't understand why Hodgson has the ability to dramatically improve on something and Schroeder cannot. Schroeder has already shown a dramatic improvement defensively and with his "battle". In addition, there have been reports that he is becoming much more consistent with his "battle", but that he needs to work on producing more; something that Hodgson was also questioned for.

If Schroeder can overcome his height, I'm willing to bet money that he will carve out a better career than Hodgson. However, that is a big if. Nonetheless, that if is equal to if Hodgson can overcome his lack of footspeed.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:25 PM
  #196
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,974
vCash: 500
Just because we get to hear about how Hodgson works with Gary Roberts and how it's the best workout ever doesn't mean that's true. It's pretty clear that Roberts has some friends and they're happy to generate some publicity for his business.

Schroeder works at a similar camp in Minnesota (with the likes of Okposo and Parise) but it just doesn't get as much media attention because it's not being run by a former high-profile NHLer.



He's the guy in the red jersey (at the end, not the one at the beginning), I believe. Here's a flyer that has his name on it: http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/d...1/2012_IHT.pdf


Last edited by Tiranis: 05-17-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:48 PM
  #197
PRNuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Just because we get to hear about how Hodgson works with Gary Roberts and how it's the best workout ever doesn't mean that's true. It's pretty clear that Roberts has some friends and they're happy to generate some publicity for his business.

Schroeder works at a similar camp in Minnesota (with the likes of Okposo and Parise) but it just doesn't get as much media attention because it's not being run by a former high-profile NHLer.



He's the guy in the red jersey, I believe. Here's a flyer that has his name on it: http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/d...1/2012_IHT.pdf
Awesome, thanks for this, I love training updates.

edit: JS hasn't thrown up in the bucket yet, clearly does not work hard in practice. Rift.


Last edited by PRNuck: 05-17-2012 at 10:25 PM.
PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:50 PM
  #198
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
I have no idea what your point is. Schroeder "trained like crazy to dramatically" improve on his two-way play throughout the season and is committed on working on his shot this off-season. Unlike Hodgson his speed and strength are the least of his worries for making it into the NHL.

Schroeder has great vision on the ice defensively, and offensively. He's also quite talented and skillfull and the only thing holding him back is the worry his height will be a hindrance to the NHL level.

I also don't understand why Hodgson has the ability to dramatically improve on something and Schroeder cannot. Schroeder has already shown a dramatic improvement defensively and with his "battle". In addition, there have been reports that he is becoming much more consistent with his "battle", but that he needs to work on producing more; something that Hodgson was also questioned for.

If Schroeder can overcome his height, I'm willing to bet money that he will carve out a better career than Hodgson. However, that is a big if. Nonetheless, that if is equal to if Hodgson can overcome his lack of footspeed.
I just don't think it's fair to 'expect' a player's AHL numbers to translate into the exact same NHL numbers-- Hodgson or Schroeder. By all accounts, numbers-wise, Hodgson was a pleasant surprise, and surpassed expectations.

I'm just hoping for Schroeder to pull out 30-40 points while being a more complete player than Hodgson was.

And I'll be honest, I'm just not totally convinced that his raw offensive talent is good enough in comparison to Hodgson's to pull off 40-50 points right off the bat.

I guess we'll see.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:59 PM
  #199
Hodgy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
So clearly that means
Haydar>Schroeder>Hodgson
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatles View Post
I don't know if its just me but there is just something funny to me about a person with the user name "Hodgy" being really hard on Schroeder.
Attached Images
File Type: gif qm.gif‎ (43 Bytes, 56 views)

Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:42 PM
  #200
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,591
vCash: 2178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Just because we get to hear about how Hodgson works with Gary Roberts and how it's the best workout ever doesn't mean that's true. It's pretty clear that Roberts has some friends and they're happy to generate some publicity for his business.

Schroeder works at a similar camp in Minnesota (with the likes of Okposo and Parise) but it just doesn't get as much media attention because it's not being run by a former high-profile NHLer.
This must mean Parise is coming to Vancouver to play with Schroeder.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.