HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Justin Schultz (Update: Has de-registered from Wisconsin)

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2012, 11:43 PM
CBOiler

vCash: 500
Justin Schultz (Update: Has de-registered from Wisconsin)

I was watching the Jets/Rangers game and on the quiz, Justin Schultz' name was mentioned with Bob Mackenzie saying he believes he will sign with the oil. I myself never heard of him. Whats the chances that we land another Schultz and what can he bring to the table.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=113177

Who is most likely to sign unrestricted free agent defenceman & blue-chip prospect Justin Schultz of Wisconsin?

McKenzie: I'll say the Edmonton Oilers because I think this Kelowna kid would be happy to play in Canada. I also think it would be great for him to grow old with guys like Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Eberle, and Taylor Hall and he's the missing piece of the puzzle in Edmonton: power play quarterback.

Old
03-28-2012, 11:44 PM
Soundwave

I'd be interested in having him, but is there some specific reason he won't play for Anaheim?

Is the hype around him justified as well?

Old
03-28-2012, 11:44 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

dont tease us like that Bob.

Old
03-28-2012, 11:48 PM
Thrill22
Feelin' it

Actually think the EDM would be a great place for him - easy lineup to break into, lots of good young players, make it happen Tambo... do it...

Old
03-28-2012, 11:50 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

I prefer a more proven defenseman.

Old
03-28-2012, 11:51 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I would love it if we picked him up. And apparently his favourite place to visit is Edmonton.

Here are some highlight vids for those that haven't seen him. He's even right handed so he can one time RNH passes on the PP

Old
03-28-2012, 11:52 PM
CupofOil

WOW, that's the first i ever heard about Edmonton being a possible destination for J.Schultz and from MacKenzie no less.
Man, that would be amazing if we could sign him but i don't see it happening.
I see Vancouver and Toronto as the frontrunners, i wouldn't count out Anaheim either.
Ugh, why does he have to get our hopes up like this?

Edit: I see that Bobby Mac was saying that Schultz should sign in Edmonton, not that the Oilers are a frontrunner or anything. Well duh, of course the Oilers should sign him.

Last edited by CupofOil: 03-28-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old
nafrelio

Almost a goal every other game in the NCAA is no small feat for any player, let alone a dman. Apparently quite the stud. Not sure why he won't sign with ANA though.

Old
CBOiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I'd be interested in having him, but is there some specific reason he won't play for Anaheim?

Is the hype around him justified as well?
There isn't a whole lot of info on why he wont sign with the ducks but he falls into the loophole that says if you officially withdraw from school (simply has to tell Wisconsin he's leaving) and it's the fourth summer after you've been drafted, you can choose to become a free agent.

Old
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

If Corey Potter made it, Justin Schultz is a de facto 5D or 6D on this team.

And I have no idea who Justin Schultz is.

But a Schultz-Schultz pairing is DYNOMITE.

Old
03-28-2012, 11:58 PM
Eytinge

Damn you Bobby Mac for getting our hopes up. I fully expect him to sign with the Nucks or Leafs.

Old
03-29-2012, 12:00 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Damn you Bobby Mac for getting our hopes up. I fully expect him to sign with the Nucks or Leafs.
If we really want him I'd simply tell his agent we'll beat whatever they're offering by $300k a year ... which to a 22-year-old college student isn't exactly chump change. Plus the chance to play more minutes here.

That's to say if our scouts like him enough. Go get him in that case. It's unlikely Tambo is going to be able to sign some stud d-man off the UFA market anyway.

Old
03-29-2012, 12:00 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

McKenzie has a lot of inside info and is usually bang on with these types of speculative guesses.

Old
03-29-2012, 12:01 AM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
If we really want him I'd simply tell his agent we'll beat whatever they're offering by $300k a year ... which to a 22-year-old college student isn't exactly chump change. Plus the chance to play more minutes here.
Every team that wants him is going to offer the max. It's up to him where he wants to go.

Now, if the Oilers traded for his rights, that's a different story.

Old
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
The max contract he can receive if he goes to market is $925,000/year on a 2 year contract, then he'll hit RFA.

Old
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

That would be out****ingstanding! A top prospect wanting to come here as an UFA? Sign me up!

03-29-2012, 12:02 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatestOilFan View Post
I prefer a more proven defenseman.
Schultz is one of the most highly touted defensive prospects there is. If the Oilers could get him it would instantly add a blue-chip prospect to the organization. He'd become the best prospect this team had outside of whoever our first rounder will be.

Oh god please yes.

Old
03-29-2012, 12:03 AM
Cerebral

Quote:

That's to say if our scouts like him enough. Go get him in that case. It's unlikely Tambo is going to be able to sign some stud d-man off the UFA market anyway.
I'm pretty sure Schultz will be subject to the rookie max so it basically comes down to where he wants to play.

I would love to see Edmonton sign him (he's not the established top 4 guy we need but he's a blue chip prospect with top pairing potential!) but I can't see why he would choose us over every other team in the NHL. There are likely more attractive destinations for him where he'll also get a chance to play right away.

03-29-2012, 12:05 AM
DousedInOil

If Tambo gets Schultz I wouldnt hesitate giving him an extension lol.

Old
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
I'm pretty sure Schultz will be subject to the rookie max so it basically comes down to where he wants to play.

I would love to see Edmonton sign him (he's not the established top 4 guy we need but he's a blue chip prospect with top pairing potential!) but I can't see why he would choose us over every other team in the NHL. There are likely more attractive destinations for him where he'll also get a chance to play right away.
Close to home is a factor.

Old
bellagiobob

Quote:

I don't think money will be the issue as I think he will be limited to the usual ELC maximums. Nothing to lose by trying to sign him. Cheap contract with plenty of upside.

Old
03-29-2012, 12:07 AM
Soundwave

So he's only "kind of" a UFA?

I think we'd still be in the mix though ... he'll almost certainly get more minutes here than Vancouver or
Toronto, and realistically speaking in terms of young players ... Hall/Eberle/RNH/MPS + Dumba or Murray or Grigo is a core in 3-4 years he can grow with.

Old
03-29-2012, 12:08 AM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
McKenzie has a lot of inside info and is usually bang on with these types of speculative guesses.
This is why I believe we're going to be one of the frunt runners. I'm not trying to get too far ahead of myself, but McKenzie is the best in the biz. It's hard not to.

Old
03-29-2012, 12:09 AM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Must...not...get...hopes up.

Old
03-29-2012, 12:10 AM
awesomo
HARD!

2nd pick by Anaheim. Hes one of the top prospects from college, if not the top. Would be huge

Closed Thread