HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Well, Whatever happens in Game 7, I am proud of this team

Old
05-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Stewie G
Erskine for Norris

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
They won a series after being down 3-1 before Hunter. They knew how to deal with adversity.
The series against the Flyers showed a lot too. A bunch of playoff rookies took huge strides in the last 4 games of that series.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Kegger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
So a coach is never responsible for his team's play since he's not actually out there?
Whats he going to do, mind control the puck into the net. They had equal chances--if not more, and did not finish.

Kegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:51 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
Whats he going to do, mind control the puck into the net. They had equal chances--if not more, and did not finish.
How about work on those situations in practice? Emphasize accurate passing?

If you want to go with the 'he's not on the ice, so he's not responsible' shtick, then how can you give him credit for the blocked shots? He wasn't out there with shin pads on.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:54 PM
Stewie G
Erskine for Norris

Quote:
Ummm, tell the team to play more aggressively. Tell the defensemen to try to hold the blueline. Put skilled players out for offensive zone draws. Take Wideman off the PP. Take Aucoin off the PP. Give MP a sweater.

Old
05-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Kegger

Quote:
How about work on those situations in practice? Emphasize accurate passing?

If you want to go with the 'he's not on the ice, so he's not responsible' shtick, then how can you give him credit for the blocked shots? He wasn't out there with shin pads on.
Poor excuse. These guys have skill, and if they need to practice the skill part...odd man rushes, breakaways....in the playoffs...they shouldnt be in the NHL. If the skill doesnt come naturally at this level, peace out!

Old
05-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Kegger

Quote:
Ummm, tell the team to play more aggressively. Tell the defensemen to try to hold the blueline. Put skilled players out for offensive zone draws. Take Wideman off the PP. Take Aucoin off the PP. Give MP a sweater.
MP is the answer? lol.

Our defensive depth is really why we were forced into playing the style that we did. Would you want Shultz or Wideman really pinching in? lol.

Old
05-14-2012, 01:06 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Poor excuse. These guys have skill, and if they need to practice the skill part...odd man rushes, breakaways....in the playoffs...they shouldnt be in the NHL. If the skill doesnt come naturally at this level, peace out!
I take it you were using player failure as an excuse for the playoff eliminations under Boudreau too, right? You deflected the blame from him as well, I'm sure.

Old
05-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Quote:
They won a series after being down 3-1 before Hunter. They knew how to deal with adversity.
...most of it self-imposed by virtue of their own stupidity.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Kegger

Quote:
I take it you were using player failure as an excuse for the playoff eliminations under Boudreau too, right? You deflected the blame from him as well, I'm sure.
You lost me. The play under DH was more condusive of what it takes to win in the playoffs vs. BB. Bottom Line. Do we have the blueline depth to utilize either, nope.

Old
05-14-2012, 01:09 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
...most of it self-imposed by virtue of their own stupidity.
As opposed to the 6.6 second loss?

Old
05-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Stewie G
Erskine for Norris

Quote:
MP is the answer? lol.

Our defensive depth is really why we were forced into playing the style that we did. Would you want Shultz or Wideman really pinching in? lol.
Aucoin wasn't the answer. Why not try something different? MP has shown in the past to provide a spark when inserted into the lineup some time in the pressbox. For a team that struggled to score goals, I couldn't have hurt to give him Aucoin's icetime.

There are 4 other defensemen that played as well. They are all capable of keeping a puck in along the blueline.

Don't try to deflect. DH's decision making left something to be desired and absolutely affected how the team played, even though he didn't lace them up.

Old
05-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Quote:
As opposed to the 6.6 second loss?
Nope, still plenty of dumb to go around. Point being: it's hard to laud anyone for overcoming (or coming close to) shooting themselves in the foot to begin with.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Kegger

Quote:
Aucoin wasn't the answer. Why not try something different? MP has shown in the past to provide a spark when inserted into the lineup some time in the pressbox. For a team that struggled to score goals, I couldn't have hurt to give him Aucoin's icetime.

There are 4 other defensemen that played as well. They are all capable of keeping a puck in along the blueline.

Don't try to deflect. DH's decision making left something to be desired and absolutely affected how the team played, even though he didn't lace them up.
Aucoin wasnt the answer, never said he was. Halpern was the best option...but from a faceoff standpoint only--certainly not speed or skill at this point of his career. When MP wasn't lying down on the ice, or skating from his knees has a ton of skill.

Our defensemen were capable and why Green and Hamrlik were +5 and +8 and our shutdown guys were flat. Can't say the same for our 5th, 6th, 7th defensive guys. Really wish we could have seen Orlov more.

Old
05-14-2012, 01:45 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
You lost me. The play under DH was more condusive of what it takes to win in the playoffs vs. BB. Bottom Line. Do we have the blueline depth to utilize either, nope.
No, not the bottom line. Hence the elimination at the same point.

Old
05-14-2012, 02:03 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Both BB and DH taught these players some key stuff. Neither could get out of round 2 (BB had more chances, but I have no confidence that Dale would've been more successful with another year). The roster has never been all that it needs to be and that is on McPhee.

californiacapsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:42 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
Both BB and DH taught these players some key stuff. Neither could get out of round 2 (BB had more chances, but I have no confidence that Dale would've been more successful with another year). The roster has never been all that it needs to be and that is on McPhee.
Both BB's and Hunter's philosophies/systems were very flawed given the players they had to work with.

Neither one was more right, or more conducive to playoff success than the other.

Old
05-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Both BB's and Hunter's philosophies/systems were very flawed given the players they had to work with.

Neither one was more right, or more conducive to playoff success than the other.
I don't know, in his half a year here Hunter already equaled Boudreau's most successful season and surpassed his last 2. They were close in every single playoff game they played under him, which generally is a favorable indicator. Just one game lost by more than 1 goal, and that was by 2. Aside from Schultz, Aucoin and Wideman the rest of the team was excellent until game 7, and even in game 7 they hung with the Rangers in their building despite surrendering that crap goal.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Kegger

Quote:
No, not the bottom line. Hence the elimination at the same point.
Getting swept last year was pretty similar right?

Old
05-14-2012, 05:25 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Getting swept last year was pretty similar right?
Same end-result.

And Boudreau did get to game 7 of the second round.

Old
05-14-2012, 05:30 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
I don't know, in his half a year here Hunter already equaled Boudreau's most successful season and surpassed his last 2. They were close in every single playoff game they played under him, which generally is a favorable indicator. Just one game lost by more than 1 goal, and that was by 2. Aside from Schultz, Aucoin and Wideman the rest of the team was excellent until game 7, and even in game 7 they hung with the Rangers in their building despite surrendering that crap goal.
I agree with some of this. Game 7 round 2 was as good as Boudreau ever did and that was a humiliating blow out. And as the team got older, the outcomes got worse with him. But honestly, there's no ultimate difference. Losing is losing. (see my regular season rants on the subject. )

Close only counts with horseshoes and handgrenades.

californiacapsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:46 PM
Duke33

Quote:
No, it wasn't. It was let's clog up the zone, dump the puck constantly, let the opposition (in particular the Rangers) control the puck for long unbroken periods, somehow keep it 1-1 until we might get a lucky break or bounce.

Why don't they just flip a coin...the odds were about the same. Oh and they were totally flat at the start of Game 5 and pretty flat for most of Game 7....if that had been under Boudreau he'd have been roasted. But Hunter is getting "credit" for having them "play right"...even though all he did was equal Boudreau's best failure.

It was time for him to move on. Get someone in who can blend a mix of defense and also generate some offense. Ovechkin isn't getting 13 mil to be a two way grinder.

They failed...again...there's no other way to slice it. Oh and with the coach quitting, now whatever "style" they had will be blown up by the next guy and they'll have to learn something new all over again. More wasted time.

Duke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 07:32 PM
Kegger

Man you guys are bitter. The Rangers were the better team and we don't have nearly the defensive depth or speed that would allow us to open it up more like we need to I'm most interested in Jackman and letting Orlov get some full time. Then maybe we get get the best of both worlds. Still not sure that would be enough. Maybe Hal Gill too?

Old
05-14-2012, 10:07 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Man you guys are bitter. The Rangers were the better team and we don't have nearly the defensive depth or speed that would allow us to open it up more like we need to I'm most interested in Jackman and letting Orlov get some full time. Then maybe we get get the best of both worlds. Still not sure that would be enough. Maybe Hal Gill too?
I get it we lost they won...by one goal in game 7. I did like the Ranger's team speed forward wise and would say they had the edge but the caps edged in the size.

05-14-2012, 10:26 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

See below. Not sure what Ovie is talking about specifically, but it sounds like he was on a different page today from rest of his teammates. Not a good sign.

From WaPo:
On the heels of Dale Hunter’s departure, Alex Ovechkin was asked what he thought the Capitals would need moving forward to continue making progress as a team, whether they would need a new coach with a similar playing style or something completely different.

“I don’t know who’s going to be the coach next year but the leaders in this group have to be together and don’t look, you know,” Ovechkin said. “I don’t know how to explain better, but sometimes you don’t have to be jealous….I don’t want to say it was a jealous situation for us, but sometimes you just have to be a group together.”

The second part of his comment was curious, given that over the course of the postseason several Capitals – Brooks Laich, Karl Alzner among them — commented on the team’s unity as a group citing their ability to hash out problems among themselves as the year went on and their knowledge that everyone was on the same page in what to expect from one another. Many players echoed that sentiment on breakdown day Monday as well.

Asked to explain what he meant by “jealous,” Ovechkin hinted at locker room dissention but did not want to be specific.

“I don’t want to say persons, I don’t want to say situations, but sometimes you just know like, some guys, if you didn’t play well they just look at you like, you know,” Ovechkin said, trailing off. “Of course, you can see it, I can see it and somebody else gonna see it and it’s not the way we gonna win the game.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...html#pagebreak

Last edited by usiel: 05-14-2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: edit to add source
troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:36 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
See below. Not sure what Ovie is talking about specifically, but it sounds like he was on a different page today from rest of his teammates. Not a good sign.

From WaPo:
On the heels of Dale Hunter’s departure, Alex Ovechkin was asked what he thought the Capitals would need moving forward to continue making progress as a team, whether they would need a new coach with a similar playing style or something completely different.

“I don’t know who’s going to be the coach next year but the leaders in this group have to be together and don’t look, you know,” Ovechkin said. “I don’t know how to explain better, but sometimes you don’t have to be jealous….I don’t want to say it was a jealous situation for us, but sometimes you just have to be a group together.”

The second part of his comment was curious, given that over the course of the postseason several Capitals – Brooks Laich, Karl Alzner among them — commented on the team’s unity as a group citing their ability to hash out problems among themselves as the year went on and their knowledge that everyone was on the same page in what to expect from one another. Many players echoed that sentiment on breakdown day Monday as well.

Asked to explain what he meant by “jealous,” Ovechkin hinted at locker room dissention but did not want to be specific.

“I don’t want to say persons, I don’t want to say situations, but sometimes you just know like, some guys, if you didn’t play well they just look at you like, you know,” Ovechkin said, trailing off. “Of course, you can see it, I can see it and somebody else gonna see it and it’s not the way we gonna win the game.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...html#pagebreak
Interesting as it could be interpreted a number of ways an big picture and small. Probably have to look at Ovechkin speaking from the offensive player standpoint who inherently take more risks to make a play and naturally more mistakes.

Maybe we should consider the Hunter era as Rise of the Grinders, heh.

Last edited by usiel: 05-14-2012 at 10:53 PM. Reason: grammar
usiel is offline   Reply With Quote