HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Well, Whatever happens in Game 7, I am proud of this team

Old
05-14-2012, 10:42 PM
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie

vCash: 50
Ovechkin's English is pretty annoying in situations like this.

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:45 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
I have no idea what he's trying to say. Is he hinting at players being pissed being scratched? At getting less playing time?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:48 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

I think he is talking about his own sub-par game in game 7 maybe? I don't know. But it's notable that this is what's on his mind while the others are all talking about hunter and what he brought to the team and whether the lessons will endure after he's gone.

In other news, semin's agent is annoying. It's not like the guy tore it up in the playoffs. Or in the regular season, for that matter. I like him, i hope he stays, but it's not gonna kill me either, if he walks. Jeez, at least he was playing next to 19 in the playoffs. 8 would have loved to be in that situation. Instead he was being fed by 'Magic Hands' Laich.

troyerlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:52 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

This is the line that intrigues me.

"sometimes you just know like, some guys, if you didn't play well they just look at you like, you know,” he said. “Of course, you can see it, I can see it and somebody else gonna see it and it's not the way we gonna win the game.”

Old
05-14-2012, 10:55 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
This is the line that intrigues me.

"sometimes you just know like, some guys, if you didn't play well they just look at you like, you know,” he said. “Of course, you can see it, I can see it and somebody else gonna see it and it's not the way we gonna win the game.”
It's gotta be something with players expressing frustration when others aren't playing well and getting more ice time. Seems he's saying that expressing that frustration isn't helping anybody.

That's the best I've got.

Old
05-14-2012, 10:56 PM
DanTHEMan71

Yea Ovi definitely was singing a different tune in the exit interviews but is it really that surprising?

Ovi was forced to play in a system that doesn't help his game. He was given less icetime because he apparently wasn't good enough in the eyes of Hunter in different game situations. But this is kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy. He gets less icetime because he's playing worse because he's playing a defensive system.

The rest of the team is pushing and criticizing each other to be better when their playing badly and they did the same for Ovi. But Ovi's like "what the hell am I suppose to do when I'm not being played? I'm doing all I can do, I'm always being played with Laich and Brouwer, and the rest of the team doesn't want to pass me the puck."

He still lead our team in goals, points, and shots throughout the playoffs and regular season. Plus, he blocked a lot of key shots and the team still questioned him.

If I were Ovi I wouldn't be happy myself. He already explained that he's willing to sacrifice his icetime for the good of the team, he just wanted everyone to lay off. "If you don't wanna use me, then leave me alone. If you want me to do something, then play me."

On top of that, he probably couldn't help but be jealous that Hunter played the role guys more in key situations. I bet in Ovi's mind he's thinking "alright if you want to play this way and give the role guys the chance to win, don't bother me when we're only scoring, at most, 2 goal a game".

Semin is leaving because of this as well. And partly because he wants more money .

DanTHEMan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:06 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

I still think it may be Ovie ruminating out loud over his own lousy game in game 7. there have been moments where the stage is all set for him, and then he vanishes. To me, unfortunately, this was one of them. I dont think it was lack of effort or not caring. Maybe nerves, maybe choking. He was dynamic most of the rest of the series, but he could not even handle the puck in game 7. He was totally out of sync. My guess is, it's still on his mind, and he perceived others (i'm guessing Laich, based on no evidence whatever) as looking sideways at him or being upset or frustrated.

I still think 8 and 21 were bad fit as linemates, both hockey wise and personality wise. I wonder how they get along, those two.

Old
05-14-2012, 11:07 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Ovechkin's English is pretty annoying in situations like this.
Kinda was thinking that as well as far as the word choice of jealous. Being a 2nd language word selection can be tough especially considering how difficult it can be for speakers to understand the contextual meanings.

Still the benchings during Hunter's regime didn't exactly seem to have good communication involved any where near it. How many games was it before Hunter even spoke to Erksine?

05-14-2012, 11:10 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Ok, so I think I was off now. I watched the video of the presser (this comment starts at about the 3:20 mark), and the comments make a lot more sense in context.

Seems that he's indicating that after losses or when things weren't going well, blame was thrown around. And he's saying that the players that played poorly know they were bad, so there's no need to point it out. Instead, the players need to come together. That was his overriding message: the players need to come together.

I didn't get as nearly bitter or angry of a vibe watching the comments as I did reading them.

Old
05-14-2012, 11:30 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Ok, so I think I was off now. I watched the video of the presser (this comment starts at about the 3:20 mark), and the comments make a lot more sense in context.

Seems that he's indicating that after losses or when things weren't going well, blame was thrown around. And he's saying that the players that played poorly know they were bad, so there's no need to point it out. Instead, the players need to come together. That was his overriding message: the players need to come together.

I didn't get as nearly bitter or angry of a vibe watching the comments as I did reading them.
Yup. I just about had a stroke when I read the comments, but it's pretty clear what Alex was getting at in the video.

He may have been implying that it's hard to play to high expectations and getting grief from his teammates doesn't help. But that's about as bad as I can read into it based on the video.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:35 PM
DanTHEMan71

Yea I might have overexaggerated a little, but I doubt Ovi didn't have similar thoughts to the ones I explained in my post at some points in these playoffs.

DanTHEMan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:54 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
I don't know, in his half a year here Hunter already equaled Boudreau's most successful season and surpassed his last 2. They were close in every single playoff game they played under him, which generally is a favorable indicator. Just one game lost by more than 1 goal, and that was by 2. Aside from Schultz, Aucoin and Wideman the rest of the team was excellent until game 7, and even in game 7 they hung with the Rangers in their building despite surrendering that crap goal.
To be honest, I don't think you can put much of this success on Hunter or his system. The Caps won a total of 7 playoff games. In 4 of them, they won 2-1 while giving up over 30 shots. Think about that, if Holtby doesn't stop 95% of the shots he faces, the Caps don't win those games.

I'm not going to say Hunter is a bad coach, he just didn't have the players. But I don't think he should get so much credit for a goalie playing out of his mind either. The team averaged barely more than 2 goals a game, and gave up 33 shots a game. That is not conducive to long term success.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Stewie G
Erskine for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
To be honest, I don't think you can put much of this success on Hunter or his system. The Caps won a total of 7 playoff games. In 4 of them, they won 2-1 while giving up over 30 shots. Think about that, if Holtby doesn't stop 95% of the shots he faces, the Caps don't win those games.

I'm not going to say Hunter is a bad coach, he just didn't have the players. But I don't think he should get so much credit for a goalie playing out of his mind either. The team averaged barely more than 2 goals a game, and gave up 33 shots a game. That is not conducive to long term success.
While I don't disagree with the overall point, the Caps did do a rather good job of keeping the majority of those shots to the outside.

I may very well be on my own, but although I thought that Holtby played well, I didn't see him being forced to make a number of overly difficult saves. He stopped most of the shots you expect your goalie to make and flashed his glove on a couple of good chances, but I think that a number of the goals he gave up were very stoppable.

Essentially, while his numbers looked great, they shouldn't be completely unexpected given the quality of shots he faced. Kudos to him for a great run, but I will be very interested in seeing how he fares over a full season after teams get a better chance to study him and if the Caps go back to a system that gives up a higher number of quality scoring chances.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie

The team defense helped Holtby a lot more than Holtby helped the team defense, in my opinion. That doesn't mean Holtby didn't play well.

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:03 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Kinda was thinking that as well as far as the word choice of jealous. Being a 2nd language word selection can be tough especially considering how difficult it can be for speakers to understand the contextual meanings.
ov's english is like ov's game. it hasnt improved a great deal. i am trying to imagine him speaking english like fedorov or sharapova. you'd think it would improve as the years go by.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:07 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
To be honest, I don't think you can put much of this success on Hunter or his system. The Caps won a total of 7 playoff games. In 4 of them, they won 2-1 while giving up over 30 shots. Think about that, if Holtby doesn't stop 95% of the shots he faces, the Caps don't win those games. .
holtby was good. great on occasion. but facts are that most of his saves were of the routine variety and they lost several games as a result of him allowing goals on routine shots. they system provided that most shots were from the outside and at a distance.

he did make a handful of insane saves in the boston series, but this was not kolzig in '98.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Same end-result.

And Boudreau did get to game 7 of the second round.
with that logic not making the playoffs is the same as losing in the Finals....end result is no Cup

I have zero doubt, none....that if your boy was still coaching the team all season, and things played out exactly the same.....you would be praising him for how he managed to get his team to play D and beat the defending champs and push the top seed to 7 games.....zero doubt at all that would be your position

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:12 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
with that logic not making the playoffs is the same as losing in the Finals....end result is no Cup

I have zero doubt, none....that if your boy was still coaching the team all season, and things played out exactly the same.....you would be praising him for how he managed to get his team to play D and beat the defending champs and push the top seed to 7 games.....zero doubt at all that would be your position
Logic fail.

And did you miss my calling for Bruce to be fired last year? I guess you did.

Old
05-16-2012, 10:19 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Logic fail.

And did you miss my calling for Bruce to be fired last year? I guess you did.
please explain......you are the one talking about "same result" and how thats all that matters. If winning is the goal.....then thats the only result that matters, right? Unless you are worried about getting the extra money the team makes from the playoff home games why would it matter.....in the end....they didnt win, and thats all that matters....right?

Sorry...I cant keep up with your BB praise or DH rants. What I do see is you defending BB at just about every turn and blasting DH at the same rate....

have you once gave him credit for beating Boston? A series you predicted the Caps get swept.....even after they won a game you made mention of "lets see if they can keep that up" or something similar

Old
05-16-2012, 10:25 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
please explain......you are the one talking about "same result" and how thats all that matters. If winning is the goal.....then thats the only result that matters, right? Unless you are worried about getting the extra money the team makes from the playoff home games why would it matter.....in the end....they didnt win, and thats all that matters....right?

Sorry...I cant keep up with your BB praise or DH rants. What I do see is you defending BB at just about every turn and blasting DH at the same rate....

have you once gave him credit for beating Boston? A series you predicted the Caps get swept.....even after they won a game you made mention of "lets see if they can keep that up" or something similar
Getting eliminated in the second round is the same result as getting eliminated in the second round. Getting eliminated in the second round is not the same as missing the playoffs. I said it numerous times: just getting to the second round wasn't a show of any progress. It was simply maintaining their previous success. Progress would have been advancing further.

You're simply seeing what you want to see with regard to BB. I defend Boudreau when people bash him with their inaccurate revisionist history. Nothing more.

I've given Dale credit for beating Boston, and credit for some of the good things he did.

Old
05-16-2012, 10:29 AM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
holtby was good. great on occasion. but facts are that most of his saves were of the routine variety and they lost several games as a result of him allowing goals on routine shots. they system provided that most shots were from the outside and at a distance.

he did make a handful of insane saves in the boston series, but this was not kolzig in '98.
Several? Really? I agree he wasn't kolzig circa '98, but he did not lose them several games.

In the 7 games they lost this playoffs, the Caps scored 10 goals. 6 of those were scored in just 2 games vs. Boston. That means, they scored 4 goals total in 5 losing efforts. Say what you want about game 1 vs. NYR, but they lost those games because they could not score 1 or 2 goals in a game, routinely.

californiacapsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Mothra

Quote:

Getting eliminated in the second round is the same result as getting eliminated in the second round. Getting eliminated in the second round is not the same as missing the playoffs. I said it numerous times: just getting to the second round wasn't a show of any progress. It was simply maintaining their previous success. Progress would have been advancing further.
ok...help me understand this logic then.....beating a team when you are favored(NYR) and getting swept by a team you should beat (TB) is the same as beating a team as a big underdog and then losing in 7 to the top team in the conference....those are exactly the same? Winning 7 games in the spring is the same as 4?

if its that cut and dry in your opinion I dont see why just saying "they didnt win the Cup" and looking at all of it as failure is that far off....other than it doesnt support your point of view or arguements

Quote:

You're simply seeing what you want to see with regard to BB. I defend Boudreau when people bash him with their inaccurate revisionist history. Nothing more.

I've given Dale credit for beating Boston, and credit for some of the good things he did.
You do realize that the revisionist history goes both ways, right? Ive seen people say that BB never got the goaltending in the 2nd round that DH got as an excuse/reason for some silly arguement.....clearly they only watched game 7 of the Pit series

Old
05-16-2012, 10:40 AM
PSUCapsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
I still think it may be Ovie ruminating out loud over his own lousy game in game 7. there have been moments where the stage is all set for him, and then he vanishes. To me, unfortunately, this was one of them. I dont think it was lack of effort or not caring. Maybe nerves, maybe choking. He was dynamic most of the rest of the series, but he could not even handle the puck in game 7. He was totally out of sync. My guess is, it's still on his mind, and he perceived others (i'm guessing Laich, based on no evidence whatever) as looking sideways at him or being upset or frustrated.

I still think 8 and 21 were bad fit as linemates, both hockey wise and personality wise. I wonder how they get along, those two.
I think its pretty obvious what kind of personality Laich has. Just watch how he plays. He never looks for a pass and is visibly pissed off after a bad play and glares at teammates. He can say all the right things but some of the stuff he does on the ice during the games are a huge give away.

people like him are not fun to play with.

PSUCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:56 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

lol at the Laich observation... I think there is some truth to that.

Laich is a tweener, a 2.5. We tried to make him a checking C this year, but I think was held back some by poor faceoff numbers. I had wrongly argued last summer we would use him as a 2C (versus a 3C). I just didn't want a 3C at that price. Sure he ended up being our 1C but that was our sacrifice bunt play. Ovi Laich MJ.

Laich did pot a few goals, and finally climbed out of the 30%'s in playoff faceoffs, but as usual, I considered his play kind of meh. A bit overpaid for what I saw him bring. Is he too slow to hit, or always high being defensive, or does he just rarely hit?

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:22 AM
tycoonheart

Laich isn't a good hockey player. I have a hard time figuring out what his role is in this team. What exactly does he bring to the table? People are impressed he can play wing or center (badly) or defense in a pinch, but he doesn't do any of those particularly well. What a horrible signing.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote