HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Well, Whatever happens in Game 7, I am proud of this team

Old
05-16-2012, 11:52 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Laich isn't a good hockey player. I have a hard time figuring out what his role is in this team. What exactly does he bring to the table? People are impressed he can play wing or center (badly) or defense in a pinch, but he doesn't do any of those particularly well. What a horrible signing.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:56 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
ok...help me understand this logic then.....beating a team when you are favored(NYR) and getting swept by a team you should beat (TB) is the same as beating a team as a big underdog and then losing in 7 to the top team in the conference....those are exactly the same? Winning 7 games in the spring is the same as 4?

if its that cut and dry in your opinion I dont see why just saying "they didnt win the Cup" and looking at all of it as failure is that far off....other than it doesnt support your point of view or arguements

You do realize that the revisionist history goes both ways, right? Ive seen people say that BB never got the goaltending in the 2nd round that DH got as an excuse/reason for some silly arguement.....clearly they only watched game 7 of the Pit series
The only reason the Caps were an underdog this year was because they underachieved in the regular season. Again, I don't give them extra credit for that.

How are coaches judged? By how far they get in the playoffs, not who they beat along the way.

Does anybody remember who Ron Wilson's Sharks beat to get to the second round every year? Nope. Does anyone remember how that team lost in the second round? Nope. All people remember is that he failed to get past the 2nd round for three consecutive years.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:01 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUCapsFan View Post
I think its pretty obvious what kind of personality Laich has. Just watch how he plays. He never looks for a pass and is visibly pissed off after a bad play and glares at teammates. He can say all the right things but some of the stuff he does on the ice during the games are a huge give away.

people like him are not fun to play with.
Agree very hard. Laich is that ****** in high school who sucks up to all his teachers, but really tries to come off as genuine, works really hard in all his classes, but pretends he doesn't, applies to a bunch of Ivy League schools, and ends up going to Boston College.

The guy is a narcissistic little puck-hog. Every interview I read makes me dislike him more, and I really believe that guys like that are horrible for the locker room and the culture of the team. I'm sure a lot of his teammates see through him, personality-wise and hockey-wise, even if McPhee clearly doesn't.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:05 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Laich is easily the most under-appreciated player on the Caps by this board. And it's completely salary and soundbite related.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
with that logic not making the playoffs is the same as losing in the Finals....end result is no Cup

I have zero doubt, none....that if your boy was still coaching the team all season, and things played out exactly the same.....you would be praising him for how he managed to get his team to play D and beat the defending champs and push the top seed to 7 games.....zero doubt at all that would be your position
Hunter gets no praise in my book and neither would Boudreau if he had gotten as far. Failure is failure. No progress was made. Not getting out of the second round for the umpteenth season in a row is not acceptable. Boudreau needed to go and Hunter was brought in to do better. He failed. I don't care if the games were close.

His "system" was nothing more than let's play to a tie and hope we get the lucky bounce that gets us a winning goal late. Not good enough.

Duke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:08 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Laich is easily the most under-appreciated player on the Caps by this board. And it's completely salary and soundbite related.
Agreed.

And I hate his sound bites.

But I like the player.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
His "grit" and physical game are very overstated. He works hard, but he thinks he's a skill player. And the soundbites matter. If I were in the locker room, I would hate that guy, and I would be right to. He oozes ****-sucker-ness at every turn and you know it.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:12 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Of course it's a salary thing. He's more or less a vanilla Steve Ott earning twice as much. Yes, he pks, but he's not very good at it. I have no idea why he makes Ryan Malone money.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:15 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
The team defense helped Holtby a lot more than Holtby helped the team defense, in my opinion. That doesn't mean Holtby didn't play well.
The defense was good, but the fact is the team was giving up 30+ shots a game while only scoring 2 goals. That means, in order to win, they needed Holtby to save 95% of the shots he faced. No goalie in history has started 10+ playoff games and finished with a save % 95% or higher (although Quick is currently on pace), regardless of how good the defense in front of them has been. Holtby's s% in this year's playoffs was 16th best all time, better than Brodeur ever did behind the great Devils defenses.

My point was only that as well as the Caps performed under Hunter, his system was unlikely to lead to a Cup. In fact, I would say it would have been highly unlikely that the Caps would have been able to repeat this year's success.

So, it is hard to judge BB/Hunter playoff success. You are basically counting the best run possible under Hunter's system against every run (best and worst) under BB.

Not to say that BB was better...he had better players to work with (IMO) during a couple of those runs.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:18 PM
PSUCapsFan

I don't like railing on the guy (Laich) all the time. He is a good pker and will block shots. He has some slick hands that often surprises opposing dmen. He's pretty good at the shootout and has a good backhand.

That said he lacks finish, vision, and is a very selfish player. Overpaid for what he brings.

Its hard to say what the players feel about him. At least Green must like him, he lived with the guy...

PSUCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:29 PM
tycoonheart

He's more like Jay Beagle earning 5 times what he's worth.

Actually I take that back. At least Beagle has a role on this team.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
I don't like railing on the guy (Laich) all the time. He is a good pker and will block shots. He has some slick hands that often surprises opposing dmen. He's pretty good at the shootout and has a good backhand.

That said he lacks finish, vision, and is a very selfish player. Overpaid for what he brings.

Its hard to say what the players feel about him. At least Green must like him, he lived with the guy...

Old
05-16-2012, 12:33 PM
bonzilla

Laich's greatest talent is listening to the coach and doing exactly what the coach tells him to do. Most coaches are too "effort" oriented rather than results oriented and Brooks uses this to his advantage on and off the ice.

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Mothra

Quote:
The only reason the Caps were an underdog this year was because they underachieved in the regular season. Again, I don't give them extra credit for that.

How are coaches judged? By how far they get in the playoffs, not who they beat along the way.

Does anybody remember who Ron Wilson's Sharks beat to get to the second round every year? Nope. Does anyone remember how that team lost in the second round? Nope. All people remember is that he failed to get past the 2nd round for three consecutive years.
you keep saying that but I think that is a bit overblown......lets look at it

They lose to the 8th seed a couple years ago and the following season (last season) they had major stuggles for decent stretches....they get swept in round 2 and look pitiful in doing so.

again this season, major stuggles and a coaching change. They lose the only real center they have for half the season....still almost win the division. Its fair to say had 19 not missed half the season they might have had 6 more wins, equal to last season. Surely they would have picked up a couple more points and won the SE

My question is....how good do you really think this team is? Ive been saying since before the prez cup that they arent as good/talented as people think....among other things they dont have a center behind 19......name me some Cup winners with only 1 legit top 6 center?

I'm puzzled how you can say they underachieved in the almost meaningless regular season and then not acknowledge that they did the opposite in the real season. Especially since you predicted they would win zero games in the playoffs...

im not happy they lost and I totally look at it as another blown chance....but thats not to say it was a total failure because they simply failed to win 8 games. To me, its only a total failure if they dont address the obvious roster needs and make some tough decisions about some of the current players.....in short its a failure if they look at it as "we were that close" and stay the course

they werent that close....never have been....and thats what they need to figure out and address

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:50 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
He's more like Jay Beagle earning 5 times what he's worth.

Actually I take that back. At least Beagle has a role on this team.
Ah yes, that Jay Beagle with the 10 career NHL points.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Stewie G

Quote:

The guy had 10 ES goals. 10. 8th best on the team despite being 5th in ES ice time. If he's going to play 2nd line minutes, he needs to pot more than 10 goals.

Lots of guys in the league are good shot blockers and PKers. The vast majority either score more points than him, are significantly better at faceoffs, and/or make half as much or less.

Which player would you rather have...

Player A:

$4.5M, 10 ES goals, 47.6% FO, 92 BS

Player B:

$1.3M, 7 ES goals, 56.8% FO, 86 BS

Player A: Laich
Player B: Boyd Gordon

IMO, Laich isn't skilled enough for a top 6 role and makes too much more to be solely a 3rd liner, especially when you consider his declining faceoff numbers.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 01:04 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzilla View Post
Laich's greatest talent is listening to the coach and doing exactly what the coach tells him to do. Most coaches are too "effort" oriented rather than results oriented and Brooks uses this to his advantage on and off the ice.
He is also the master of coming up with 6,000 different ways to say, after the game, that the team needs to play better and not come out flat next time and play for the full 60 minutes blah blah blah.

I don't mind if he stays on the team, but get him off Ovie's line. No chemistry at all. Anti-chemistry.

Also, I do think Ovie ought to think about the Marleau Maneuver -- drop the 'C' from the sweater and just get back to potting goals. Marleau played better when he dropped the C.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 01:05 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
this photo was a bad decision by Greenie

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
this photo was a bad decision by Greenie
It's probably Green's profile picture on Facebook. The first comment under it is from Brooks Laich, "I took this!"

Old
05-16-2012, 01:15 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
It's probably Green's profile picture on Facebook. The first comment under it is from Brooks Laich, "I took this!"
Mike Green definitely uses MySpace.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 01:18 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
IMO, Laich isn't skilled enough for a top 6 role and makes too much more to be solely a 3rd liner, especially when you consider his declining faceoff numbers.
Maybe because HE'S NOT A ****ING CENTER!!!

He should be playing second line LW and he could put up numbers in that very role. But he plays all over the place as needed.

There are guys to be pissed about...I dont see Laich as one of them.

Old
05-16-2012, 01:20 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I'll never understand why they paid him for his production at 2LW, and then moved him immediately to 3C.

Old
05-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Langway
Intangibles

I like Laich better at 3C than 2LW because he's not an effective enough forechecker and on the third line his lack of vision and playmaking doesn't matter so much. He's just way overpaid for that role. Best-case a new coach can get more out of him offensively.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 01:27 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

He's missed what...like 20 some games in the last 7 years. Can't beat that kinda durability and still averaging 50 points a season.

He can put up 50 points, easy...but not in this crap system they have ran the last two years.

Old
05-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Halpysback

If Laich is your 3C, you have an average 3C being paid 4.5 million doing work Jay Beagle can do better for much less. If he's your top 6 C, then you need a top 6 C badly. If he's your top 6 W, you're paying 4.5 million for a top 6 W who sucks at forechecking, working the boards, is below average at generating and average at finishing offensive plays, and is still worse than Troy Brouwer at working the net despite it being his bread and bakery. But at least he can glare at people and be good/canadian/boy. A capable filler top 6 W if put with great linemates, sure, but for 4.5 you want a bit more than that.

No matter where he is on the team he is significantly overpaid for what he brings.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote