HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Well, Whatever happens in Game 7, I am proud of this team

Old
05-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Ridley Simon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgroban View Post
I third that. Probably the best Caps playoff squad these eyeballs have ever seen. Perfect, no. But damned good. Hoping the ride continues past Saturday.

Edit: NBTW - We will have to agree to disagree re: being proud of the team as a "loser's mentality". This organization went through a lot of internal crap this season. To overcome a lot of that and be in this position right now, to me, is commendable. This fan will not be upset with them if they lose on Saturday.
+1.....

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molseed View Post
Ok, what strides though really? The fact they're allowing fewer goals? Is that because of the defensive style or the fact that their 3rd string goalie has been their MVP to date? Regardless, ok they're allowing fewer goals...isn't that offset by the fact they are scoring far fewer?

I mean if they lose Saturday, what's the difference between losing a 7-game series with NY, with tight, 2-1 type games, vs. losing a 7-game series to the Penguins in a tight, 5-4 type of games series? The result is the same....

Now if they advance, kudos, but again how much of that is because of the way they're playing? I hate saying this but a lot of it is luck. The margin for error is zip. They are playing this wonderful new "style" but think about it, one bouncy puck or divot in the ice can ruin them. How many posts/crossbars have been hit by both teams in this series, when just one of them would have altered the outcome of a game and the series?

There has to be a way to play the good defense but also get more chances...these games are all too close for comfort. Game 5 was the textbook example of why this system, style whatever still needs work.
no, for me its more about the mental fortitude its taking for them to survive. Talent, gameplanning, styles etc are not what this is about. Frankly, I am not sure the "Hunter Style" is best for this roster, and in fact, it probably isnt.

This team has taken huge strides between the ears. Thats what I am talking about. Will to win, moxie, resoluteness, etc etc. Whatever you want to call it.

They have absorbed a ton of bad breaks/bad play/bad results and bounced back.

that is a major stride for this group, from what we have seen the last 5 years.

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:59 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Don't get me wrong, they could no show Saturday ala the Pens game 7 a few years ago. THEN I would be upset at them.

Doesn't matter, they're winning this one boys. No doubt about it.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:17 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Doesn't matter, they're winning this one boys. No doubt about it.
Really? This team instills that much confidence in you?

I'm not sold yet. Yeah, they are playing a better team based game and better defensively...but come on. They don't scream "winning the game 7" kinda team. They did it against Boston...barely.

If they win...I'll be shocked...but happy.

I'll be proud...when they drop the ****ing hammer on someone in 4 or 5 games.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:27 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post

I'm not sold yet. Yeah, they are playing a better team based game and better defensively...but come on. They don't scream "winning the game 7" kinda team. They did it against Boston...barely.

i am sorry, strung. i dont get it. they have played 13 games in the playoffs. essentially all 13 games have been cut from the same clothe. yea, the games could have all gone both ways. maybe this past game 6 might not have, but even still it was flapping in the breeze til the horn blew.

so far as proud is concerned....were you proud after they beat the rangers in 5 last season? if yes, i bet it didnt last long. if they win on saturday just barely again, they deserve credit for being better than the previous teams in this group.

they have won 7 of the 13 games. all just barely. they have lost 6 of the 13 games. all just barely.

what are you expecting to be different in this next game? you truely will be shocked if they win? the only thing that would shock me is this game went blow out somehow.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:52 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

As long as Ovechkin and Backstrom are on the roster, yes, being happy about just getting out of the first round is a loser's mentality, sorry.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 07:27 AM
bgroban

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
As long as Ovechkin and Backstrom are on the roster, yes, being happy about just getting out of the first round is a loser's mentality, sorry.
This is not NHL12.

bgroban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 08:12 AM
BobRouse

Quote:

They certainly instill that much confidence in me. CCF is right on this one. It's a tangible feeling in the air that I can certainly feel.

Sometimes in winter...I can SMELL snow coming. I can't explain it..maybe there is something scientific to it without my knowledge..but I know it to be true.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 08:17 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post

they have won 7 of the 13 games. all just barely. they have lost 6 of the 13 games. all just barely.

what are you expecting to be different in this next game? you truely will be shocked if they win? the only thing that would shock me is this game went blow out somehow.
Because the Caps have responded resoundingly to the most devestating of setbacks this entire playoffs and have come up big whenever they have had to..whenever its do or die.

Here is my take:

Caps and Rangers are automobiles.....they are adhering to the 55mph speed limit and playing it safe so they are neck and neck.

However..the Caps have a turbo charged V8 while the Rangers have a V4. WHEN we/if need to we can put the foot down and blast by them.

They do not have Alexander Ovechkin, Nick Backstrom or Mike Green.

It was the reverse role we have played against the Penguins all those times in the 90s...no matter how close some games were or how many games we were up they always had the game breakers who could put the pedal to the metal and blast by us.

Shoe is on the other foot.

We are taking this.

Old
05-11-2012, 08:19 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Is it possible to be proud of them and darned disappointed if they lose too? That's how I'll feel. This is a team learning and growing right before your eyes. Frankly, it's been fun and interesting to watch.

The "other" brand of Caps hockey didn't work. It hasn't worked for other teams either. And I feel this team is still in the learning process. Under Hunter, they've gone from being defensive and not getting scoring chances to being defensive and getting scoring chances. The one ingredient that's been missing is really cashing in on those scoring chances. And I hope that changes tomorrow tonight.

They look more like a team and play more like a team. The players say it and it does look like it. To me that's a step in the right direction whether they win or lose. But yea just win this stupid game. LOL

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 08:26 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

They way they're playing now, and the opponent they're facing.....yeah I'm confident.

I'll be happy, not shocked if they win. I give credit where it's due. I understand the life of a Caps fan has been filled with disappointment, but what about the Rangers screams great team exactly? IMO, they're not even a playoff team without Hank. I was much much more concerned about Boston because of the physical nature of their team.

We may lose sure, but I feel like they're going to pull it out.

Old
05-11-2012, 08:29 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I mean, is anyone saying they're satisfied with the first round? I think people are saying they're happy with the success so far after a season where the team struggled mightily. We went from close to missing the playoffs to 1 win from the 3rd round.

It's not that difficult to measure and acknowledge success even shy of the ultimate goal.

Old
05-11-2012, 08:39 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Because the Caps have responded resoundingly to the most devestating of setbacks this entire playoffs and have come up big whenever they have had to..whenever its do or die.

Here is my take:

Caps and Rangers are automobiles.....they are adhering to the 55mph speed limit and playing it safe so they are neck and neck.

However..the Caps have a turbo charged V8 while the Rangers have a V4. WHEN we/if need to we can put the foot down and blast by them.

They do not have Alexander Ovechkin, Nick Backstrom or Mike Green.

It was the reverse role we have played against the Penguins all those times in the 90s...no matter how close some games were or how many games we were up they always had the game breakers who could put the pedal to the metal and blast by us.

Shoe is on the other foot.

We are taking this.
lets use a different analogy. bringing a gun to a knife fight. the caps have the gun and the rangers dont. hunter will not deploy the gun unless he needs it. in fact his game plan is more passive than the rangers and he would rather not even bring out the knife, if he can win the day with his bare hands.

i am not saying the caps won't win. i am saying that i would be very surprised if hunter deploys a lot of ovechkin from the outset of this game.
the caps are going to check and repel and rope a dope unless the rangers are stupid enough to put the capitals on the power play.

my view is that if the caps came out of the gate with all guns blazing they might well take the rangers by surprise and score early. they have the weapons to do this, but i am very sure they wont. they will allow the rangers to come out with a their big first period, home ice desperation push and attempt to shut it down and wear them out. then counter attack when they start to tire and make mistakes.

Old
05-11-2012, 08:48 AM
PSUCapsFan

Sorry but I'm still skeptical about this game 7. I only started following after the lockout but I have seen this scenario before.

Game 6 vs the flyers...Man what a freaking game. OV game winner on the break away to unleash the fury. I thought for sure we would take game 7.

Game 6 vs the pens. Well we know how game 7 turned out. It felt like i was watching my dog get hit by a car.

I just don't have any faith that the hockey gods will smile on us Saturday.

P.S. How the hell was that not goalie interference in game 7 vs the flyers?

PSUCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 08:50 AM
txpd

Quote:
I mean, is anyone saying they're satisfied with the first round? I think people are saying they're happy with the success so far after a season where the team struggled mightily. We went from close to missing the playoffs to 1 win from the 3rd round.

It's not that difficult to measure and acknowledge success even shy of the ultimate goal.
i think some are saying they are satisfied with the first round after a season where the team struggled mightily. thats a loser's mentality.

this team came into the season with expectations of taking steps forward in the playoffs beyond where the has been in the ovechkin era or else there would be changes.

the team struggled with those expectations and a coaching change was made. more changes remain on the table if this team fails to get past the 2nd step in the process again. in effect, nothing has changed. if they win tomorrow night, they will have succeded in taking another step forward and after facing some adversity they will get credit for that.

if they lose, they have again failed to improve and the adversity is just another in a long line of reasons for that failure.

lets see them win and go from there.

Old
05-11-2012, 08:54 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
lets use a different analogy. bringing a gun to a knife fight. the caps have the gun and the rangers dont. hunter will not deploy the gun unless he needs it. in fact his game plan is more passive than the rangers and he would rather not even bring out the knife, if he can win the day with his bare hands.

i am not saying the caps won't win. i am saying that i would be very surprised if hunter deploys a lot of ovechkin from the outset of this game.
the caps are going to check and repel and rope a dope unless the rangers are stupid enough to put the capitals on the power play.

my view is that if the caps came out of the gate with all guns blazing they might well take the rangers by surprise and score early. they have the weapons to do this, but i am very sure they wont. they will allow the rangers to come out with a their big first period, home ice desperation push and attempt to shut it down and wear them out. then counter attack when they start to tire and make mistakes.

Maybe true..but we still have the gun! If we need to we can break it out.

I certainly don't agree with Hunter's passive system...I don't agree with Hunter's roster decisions...I don't agree with Hunter's distribution of ice time.....but then again...maybe this is all part of the big picture that we simply don't have privy to.

Whatever it is it works. The players believe, the analysts are starting to believe and I sure as heck believe.

Old
05-11-2012, 09:38 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Not sure how anyone could be satisfied just making it past round 1. Not a loser's mentality IMO, but clearly, Eyes....NOT on the prize.

Old
05-11-2012, 09:49 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
There are varying degrees of satisfaction.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:52 AM
sens4life
CLASSLESS

As a Sens fan, two weeks ago, I participated in a thread that was the same tone as this. Proud of our team. Proud of the way they battled. Agreed with every sentiment.

But.

2 weeks later, and I'll tell ya, losing sucks. You do NOT want the feeling of watching this Rangers team play the Devils and say to yourself "what if"....the chance may never come again!

Caps have an amazing opportunity to give it to the Rangers. Holtby is a stud. Ovechkin is buying in.

Do NOT settle Caps fans...go and take the Rangers DOWN!!!

Sens fans are behind ya!

#RedNationUnite

sens4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:38 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:

Again, that sounds like people are giving them more credit because, in the words of Karl Alzner, they **** the bed in the regular season.

That's bunk to me. They shouldn't have been anywhere near missing the playoffs.

Old
05-11-2012, 02:09 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Again, that sounds like people are giving them more credit because, in the words of Karl Alzner, they **** the bed in the regular season.

That's bunk to me. They shouldn't have been anywhere near missing the playoffs.
You can't ignore the regular season results and make an intelligent analysis. I blame it all on TXPD. He predicted they would struggle to make the playoffs. Maybe he'll dump the doom and gloom and predict something positive someday....we can only hope.

Old
05-11-2012, 02:16 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
You can't ignore the regular season results and make an intelligent analysis. I blame it all on TXPD. He predicted they would struggle to make the playoffs. Maybe he'll dump the doom and gloom and predict something positive someday....we can only hope.
Intelligent analysis based on the regular season has nothing to do with pre-season expectations or whether to be satisfied or not. If the Caps don't win Saturday, they'll have not made any real progress. They'll have simply reached the same level of postseason success in a different way.

Lose Saturday, and I'll be pissed. Win Saturday, and I'll be happy. Will I be immediately satisfied? Nope, as making the conference finals is not the ultimate goal. But if we don't win the Cup, when the hurt of being eliminated wears off, I will be satisfied. Because at that point, the Caps will have made progress.

Old
05-11-2012, 02:24 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I agree with one thing, Hunter has achieved the SAME level of success as Boudreau so far. One more win to surpass it.

If you want to ignore the struggles of the regular season and barely making the playoffs, it's up to you to ignore the facts.

OK...I'll agree with a few other things, I'll also be pissed if we lose and not satisfied if we win. Progress is important to note and not ignore.

Old
05-11-2012, 02:52 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
I agree with one thing, Hunter has achieved the SAME level of success as Boudreau so far. One more win to surpass it.

If you want to ignore the struggles of the regular season and barely making the playoffs, it's up to you to ignore the facts.

OK...I'll agree with a few other things, I'll also be pissed if we lose and not satisfied if we win. Progress is important to note and not ignore.
Isn't his (our) point that he (we) don't want to ignore the regular season? That the regular season drags down the overall grade, more or less?

This isn't a team that should have barely made the playoffs. That they did means they underachieved. But where they are now shouldn't be considered overachievement just because it came directly after underachievement. This postseason looks good if you think the regular season was the baseline, but the regular season should be well below the baseline.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 03:21 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Isn't his (our) point that he (we) don't want to ignore the regular season? That the regular season drags down the overall grade, more or less?

This isn't a team that should have barely made the playoffs. That they did means they underachieved. But where they are now shouldn't be considered overachievement just because it came directly after underachievement. This postseason looks good if you think the regular season was the baseline, but the regular season should be well below the baseline.
Right.

This postseason isn't any higher level of success than last year's, or that in 2009 unless we win Saturday. The suckitutde of the regular season doesn't elevate it.