HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Well, Whatever happens in Game 7, I am proud of this team

Old
05-12-2012, 11:33 PM
G3 LesPaul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Well, congratulations on finishing your second year as a Caps fan.
Sorry, been a fan since 2001. I can honestly, by far, best I have ever seen the "team" play. And I hated Hunter for the longest time

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 11:36 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
Sorry, been a fan since 2001. I can honestly, by far, best I have ever seen the "team" play. And I hated Hunter for the longest time
Then you haven't been watching particularly closely. That's not even the best the team has played in the Ovechkin era.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 11:40 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

vCash: 50
Hey, tough break guys but I had fun bandwagoning the Caps vs. the Rangers. I wouldn't be disappointed in this year's Caps. Hopefully they can retain most of this squad and learn from it and come even hungrier next season.

irunthepeg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 11:40 PM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Then you haven't been watching particularly closely. That's not even the best the team has played in the Ovechkin era.
In the playoffs yes. Regular season, nope.

2009 was close but can you honestly say from the beginning of the playoffs, that we would take the Bruins to game 7 and beat them? Then play hard for 6 games against the Rangers? I know I couldn't

They played very well. Give credit where credit is due. I am just as upset as everyone else.

Old
05-12-2012, 11:41 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
In the playoffs yes. Regular season, nope.

2009 was close but can you honestly say from the beginning of the playoffs, that we would take the Bruins to game 7 and beat them? Then play hard for 6 games against the Rangers? I know I couldn't

They played very well. Give credit where credit is due. I am just as upset as everyone else.
I guess we have a different definition of 'very well'.

Old
05-12-2012, 11:45 PM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
I guess we have a different definition of 'very well'.
I guess so. Remember, I hated Hunter from the start.

To each his own.

That being said, no more Wideman hopefully

Old
05-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Zirp

As a Rangers fan and a fan of hockey, I have to say that you should all be proud of your hockey team. The Caps played the right way... and although they came up short tonight, I see a step forward and a brighter future for your team then I have in recent history. Your game has come along defensively and it looks like you might have found a goalie and coach you can trust. It's not trying to out chance teams, it's trying to out work them. Once your skill catches up to the new way that your team plays the game, they are going to be just fine. Great series! Great playoff run! Great future! Kudos all the way around.

Zirp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 11:58 PM
pman25

I may have been a little proud if we made it to the conference finals and then got bounced out. It's probably been said multiple times, but this year is no different. Another failure to make it past round 2. Sure, we were a 7 seed that made some noise, but why were even a 7 seed? It was good to see them pull it together after it seemed we weren't even gonna make the playoffs. But I'm disappointed. I have no suggestions yet on how to get better and I don't even want to think about it now. All I can say right now...this blows

pman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 11:59 PM
artilector

Overall, the team went farther than anybody expected, and fought to keep all the games close. So no complaints there. Players tried pretty hard to adapt, Hunter stuck to his guns and his consistency was a big reason for whatever success the Caps had.

So I'm not at all upset with the team, (unlike say Game 7 vs. Pens or entire series against Tampa).. the team has flaws, everybody can see them, and that falls almost entirely on the management. They got these players, they hired Hunter mid-season, they're reaping the results.

Pretty much every single player equaled or surpassed my overall expectations of them in the playoffs and that's saying something to me. The only real exception is Wideman, but we won't have to worry about him next year

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 12:07 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirp View Post
As a Rangers fan and a fan of hockey, I have to say that you should all be proud of your hockey team. The Caps played the right way... and although they came up short tonight, I see a step forward and a brighter future for your team then I have in recent history. Your game has come along defensively and it looks like you might have found a goalie and coach you can trust. It's not trying to out chance teams, it's trying to out work them. Once your skill catches up to the new way that your team plays the game, they are going to be just fine. Great series! Great playoff run! Great future! Kudos all the way around.
What's 'the right way'? Be terrible at passing, unable to break up the cycle in the defensive zone, or floundering numerous scoring chances?

Old
05-13-2012, 12:13 AM
Zirp

Quote:
What's 'the right way'? Be terrible at passing, unable to break up the cycle in the defensive zone, or floundering numerous scoring chances?
Yikes... you came one goal away from beating the #1 and #2 seed in the Eastern Conference when most of the hockey world wasn't even sure you'd make the playoffs... do you really think your team floundered, poorly passed, missed chances and/or stumbled their way through it???

Old
05-13-2012, 12:15 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Yikes... you came one goal away from beating the #1 and #2 seed in the Eastern Conference when most of the hockey world wasn't even sure you'd make the playoffs... do you really think your team floundered, poorly passed, missed chances and/or stumbled their way through it???
Um, yes. I watched the games. They played for a coin-flip every game, and that's how it turned out.

This 'right way' bollocks is thrown around any time a team has a defensive bent, regardless of how they actually execute.

Old
05-13-2012, 12:29 AM
Zirp

Quote:
Um, yes. I watched the games. They played for a coin-flip every game, and that's how it turned out.

This 'right way' bollocks is thrown around any time a team has a defensive bent, regardless of how they actually execute.
This series really seemed to come down to home ice and the last change. That's defensive hockey. Your team has a lot of skill and a lot of grit. Well balanced - enough to neutralize that advantage against the Bruins... pretty damn close against the Rangers. All I can say is that I was really impressed with the Caps game. They learn to 'execute' better in that style of counter-striking game where the D drives the O, and they are going to be tough. There are a lot of skilled players on that team.

Old
05-13-2012, 12:32 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
This series really seemed to come down to home ice and the last change. That's defensive hockey. Your team has a lot of skill and a lot of grit. Well balanced - enough to neutralize that advantage against the Bruins... pretty damn close against the Rangers. All I can say is that I was really impressed with the Caps game. They learn to 'execute' better in that style of counter-striking game where the D drives the O, and they are going to be tough. There are a lot of skilled players on that team.
Again, the Caps were playing for a coin flip, and that's what it came down to.

That's anything but the 'right way'. Playing hockey the 'right way' is playing hockey to win. It's working hard and executing the system instilled by the coaching staff in all three zones. The Caps' effort was uneven and they didn't execute consistently in all three zones

So yeah, the 'right way' talk is bollocks. It's nothing more than an outdated cliche perpetuated by the Canadian hockey media.

Old
05-13-2012, 02:48 AM
Squantosawuss

I was so enjoying this team defying many people's predictions.

I didn't like all the crap-talking that was directed at the Caps (especially in the home-stretch of the reg season) and was really hoping they would've pulled this series off.

I like the Rangers and will root for them the rest of the way, but I was really hoping the Caps would win this series.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 03:27 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Great series, guys. You guys have some excellent pieces. You're not far off from being a real powerhouse contender, IMO. If Holtby keeps it up and you solidify your top 4 on D, I think you've got a great chance to come out of the East next year. Good luck.

Btw, can you hear us now? sorry, couldn't resist.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 08:22 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Again, the Caps were playing for a coin flip, and that's what it came down to.

That's anything but the 'right way'. Playing hockey the 'right way' is playing hockey to win. It's working hard and executing the system instilled by the coaching staff in all three zones. The Caps' effort was uneven and they didn't execute consistently in all three zones

So yeah, the 'right way' talk is bollocks. It's nothing more than an outdated cliche perpetuated by the Canadian hockey media.
I 100% agree. If the Blue Jackets made the playoffs they would have had as good a chance of going to game 7 in the 2nd round as this Caps team playing this style.

Too much defense and not enough offense isn't any more the right way than too much offense and not enough defense.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 10:44 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Great series, guys. You guys have some excellent pieces. You're not far off from being a real powerhouse contender, IMO. If Holtby keeps it up and you solidify your top 4 on D, I think you've got a great chance to come out of the East next year. Good luck.

Btw, can you hear us now? sorry, couldn't resist.
And that's precisely why the Rangers have one of the three or four least deserving fanbases of success in the league. Congrats on that.

Old
05-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Duke33

Quote:
And that's precisely why the Rangers have one of the three or four least deserving fanbases of success in the league. Congrats on that.
They finally managed to beat us in a playoff series, and needed lots of luck to do it, so it's no shock some of them finally want to crow. The mighty 1-seeded Rangers needed 7 full games to beat the 8 and 7 seeds. Most impressive lol.

Back to the normal theme of the thread, no I'm not proud. They again failed to get past the second round. Underachieving all season and then failing in the playoffs is not a reason to be proud. If they had cashed in some of their numerous opportunites, particularly in Games 3 & 5, they'd still be playing.

Duke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Atlas

I'm proud of the players. The personnel was very thin this year. They overachieved.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 12:40 PM
BamaCapsFan

If we hadn't played two absolutely terrible periods, I might be proud of this team.

The Caps played the worst game all playoffs in the biggest game. The same old story and I'm sick of it. The big guns, mostly Ovechkin, but Semin, Green and Backstrom as well, reverted back to the crap we thought we had fixed.

The team game holds up as long as we're in the lead and the goalie is playing great. When we go down, and we have to play offensive, the team game blows up, they each try to win it by themselves. Too many cute plays, too much avoidance of hitting and grinding down low. Too much skating by the net, even Backstrom, instead of driving it and stopping.

I hate to say it, but more and more, I'm thinking Ovie is going to be difficult to win with. I can't count how many times I saw Ovie as a liability, these playoffs. He'd be out there, and he'd go up the ice hard and sling one high off the glass, and then it's back the other way just as quick. Not to mention how worthless he is in his own zone, many times giving the opposition a psuedo 5 on 4 situation, because of his chronically being out of position.

I liked it alot better when they dominated the regular season at least, before pulling the same old trick in the playoffs. At least I got many months of entertainment, instead of months and months of uncertainty followed by the typical stressful, disappointing playoff run.

/rant

BamaCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 12:49 PM
kicksavedave
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I'm proud of the players. The personnel was very thin this year. They overachieved.
You have that all backwards. They under achieved. They have a future HOF at captain who had his worst season ever and had to be taken off the ice at crunch time during the playoffs. They got their head coach fired mid season. All four young guns had statistically their worst seasons since they fully arrived, but even when they were healthy they were no where close to their career averages. Dennis Wideman was an All Star in the regular season based purely off points and when it matters he was a complete playoff catastrophe.

Playoff seeding doesn't mean anything. Playoff results do. This team went no farther than any other Caps team under Ted Leonsis. They just went the same 2nd round using a different style. More defensive, less offense, same results. They most certainly didn't "put it all together" this year. Is playing a different style but achieving the same disappoint results really anything to be proud of?

The Rangers added Brad Richards to improve their offense, while keeping the same style of play. The Caps change styles with the wind while keeping the same flawed core of players that haven't shown they have what it takes to win in the post season. I'll be proud of this team when Ted stops rewarding GMGM for consistent mediocrity.

kicksavedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 12:50 PM
SkinsFan09

The fact that we got this far with only one decent center on our roster is impressive.

SkinsFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 02:08 PM
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie

vCash: 50
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...enough-game-7/
Quote:
ďI thought we should have won. We didnít play like we should have won, I donít think,Ē Alzner said. ďWe didnít play our best game, didnít have enough fight, enough grit. Didnít battle for pucks enough, had a power play that was awful itís really too bad that in a game of this magnitude we stunk the bed pretty much. Itís just not good enough for us.Ē

It was a stark contrast to Brooks Laich, who lauded his teammates for playing hard, and to Roman Hamrlik, who said the Caps brought their ďA-gameĒ Saturday night.
Brooks Laich is seriously such a ****ing loser. I wonder what cute gesture he made on his way out of the rink. There aren't a lot of tires to help change in NYC.

Liberati0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

That's pretty funny. Their A game must suck then.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote