HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poile is Willing To Trade Radulov's Rights

View Poll Results: Would you hire Radulov if he became a UFA in July?
Yes! Damn the torpedoes of logic! 20 21.51%
Yes. With hesitation. 21 22.58%
No. With hesitation. 18 19.35%
No! With extreme prejudice! 34 36.56%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-10-2012, 02:05 PM
OlTimeHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I rather we attempt to sign Semin. A much better player, who has played very well this year, adapted to the defensive style (saw him blocking shots, and diving to make defensive plays), and will be an UFA. I know it's a pipe dream, but rather go after him than Radulov. We have a better chance of Wang selling the team than us signing Parise (which would be the perfect move).
Then let's make an offer to Parise!

(maybe ****head will finally sell!)

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 02:26 PM
islandermaniac

so the people who have voted yes didn't notice how he just destroyed his own team in the playoffs...

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 02:32 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
so the people who have voted yes didn't notice how he just destroyed his own team in the playoffs...

New new new new NEW new New NEWWWWW!!!!

Part of the problem when we have a Nino who clearly needs to be sent down but fans passionately want his NEWness to remain up.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Steve55

I think Radulov may be a distraction on and off the ice. I also beleive he is defensively irresponsible much like PAP.

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:05 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

I would give him a chance, no more than 4 or 5 years though. I would welcome him if the contract was something like 4 years 25 million. He would instantly become the second most talented player on the team.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:49 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
One press report is that he made $5.5m, in his last KHL season.

A newer report posted on the Preds board,is that he has a 4 yr/$36m offer on the table.
as in 9 million dollars a year? id be all for it if he put up a goal a game in the playoffs, but he screwed his team over to go get drunk the night before a playoff game. this clown has always been about the $$

isles31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Veteran journeyman

I'm all for signing a talented bad apple, just don't make him the centerpiece of your plan, give him an enormous contract, or make him the face of the franchise. Look, in a perfect world we'd sign quality talented players in their prime with great attitudes. But none of them want to come here, apparently, and to trade for one would cost a lot of assets. So we can either stock up on the Rolstons of the world again and give that another go, since it's worked so well for us in the past, or we can take a chance on a player that's on the outs with their current franchise, either because of attitude or performance issues. Over this past season I've seen people on various boards trash the idea of trading for a player like Semin or Penner because of their attitudes. Yes, these players have their issues, there's no denying that. And maybe that doesn't change, it doesn't work out here, and we fans have another villain to complain about. But heck, it's at least worth a shot, no? What's the alternative? Hold out and raid the Jay Pandolfo tryout bin again? We're beggars, and sometimes that means you can't be a chooser.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Yashin for President

Kabanov and Radulov on the same team? Oh baby, we would definitely steal the back pages of Newsday.

Yashin for President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:34 PM
bstash19

there is absolutely no way i would want radulov on the isles. yes he is talented offensively, but he absolutely dogs it on defense. He doesnt go after the puck (unless it leads to offense), he doesnt go into the corners, and he tries to cherry pick all the time, leaving his teammates out to dry.

I actually think that if he didnt play at all during the phoenix series, the preds would have been a lot better off.

bstash19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:50 PM
KyleBailey12

Lazy like a Brian Rolston who wants out.

KyleBailey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:05 PM
Isles Junkie

No reason to bring in an attitude problem.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:27 AM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
There is zero chance Radulov is not tendered a QO - since due to his late signing and time in Russia he is eligible to be given a two-way QO(*).

The Preds qualify him and either trade him or keep him and if things don't work out they bury him the AHL at an AHL salary. There is really zero risk.

(*) A player is eligible to get a two-way QO if he
- played <60 NHL games the previous year, OR
- played <180 NHL games during the previous 3 years, OR
- cleared waivers the previous year
Hm. Looks like things are heading down the trade or banishment direction:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=397760

So they either trade him, or he goes back to the KHL. Sounds like the boy is available like I figured. Since they don't want him, and everyone now knows that the alternative is to lose him basically for nothing, I wonder how much his price has dropped?

Mods, would you be willing to reset the poll?

FYI - I still don't want him, but considering the complete lack of options we have via free agency, maybe it is worth reconsidering a short term, salary floor gap filling contract to give the guy his chance to increase his value in the states by doing right by the Islanders, then once that actually happens trade him to a contender for that top 4 defenseman we so sorely need.

Long shot? Yes, but every time I look at JT's wing I just kind of vomit. A lot. So maybe I need to relax my need for "boy scouts-only" on the locker room door. Pandolfo, Rolston, & Reasoner vs. Radulov... That gives me pause.

Last edited by A Pointed Stick: 06-07-2012 at 12:56 AM.
A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 04:11 AM
ichabod13

sometimes when a player gets traded it lets him know that he aint all he thinks he is. some get the message and work harder on their weak points just to prove their former GM wrong........and some just pout and pretty much stop trying. they just go through the motions, pretending that theyre trying.

i see radulov as the latter type.

i dont think he would be worth the gamble.

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 05:50 AM
Isles72

you'd have to think some team will step up and offer Poile something before july 1.

if Poile was smart , he'd let teams who were very serious negotiate a contract with Radulov with the understanding that certain asset(s) head to Nashville should Radulov sign a deal with other team .

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 06:01 AM
ichabod13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
I would give him a chance, no more than 4 or 5 years though.
4 or 5 years isnt taking a chance......its a huge gamble...

two years at the longest. and i wouldnt be real happy if garth gave him that!!!!

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:14 AM
Bexlyspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post

well we dont have to worry about that here

in all seriousness though, we will only get him if its on the cheap, its all about the economics. if they can i can see snow getting him because its a way to say " see look were committed to improving the team"

Bexlyspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:51 AM
LongIslandCircus

Voted yes, with extreme caution. We are a team desperate for offensive talent.....actually let me rephrase that.....desperate for ANY talent. He is a very skilled player with noted character issues.

That said, I don't think Capuano is the coach I would want if we brought in Radulov. As much as I hate the Rags, Tortorella would be the type of personality that could probably straighten him out.

Regardless, I dont think either side is anxious to get him over here.

LongIslandCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:53 AM
LongIslandCircus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
4 or 5 years isnt taking a chance......its a huge gamble...

two years at the longest. and i wouldnt be real happy if garth gave him that!!!!
A short term contract would probably be the safest bet. You just never know with this guy...

LongIslandCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
After his one game ban, and multi-year holdout, I am thinking (like many) that Nashville will let him walk. It would appear many other teams would pass on him as well, so maybe he wants a short term but hefty contract in the NHL, which would make him a great marrying-kind to one Mr. Wang. Since we (maybe more so Mitch) really would like to see Tavares get a wing worthy of his talent it is a tempting prospect to take a chance on him.

His pluses include 1st line offensive talent, mobility, and size. His minuses include mono-dimensional awareness at times, an ego the size of Betelgeuse, and a real deficit in defensive responsibility, though not a complete dog like Brett Hull was. I will include a third category called: rat fink tendencies like not honoring contracts and doing anything to get a ban in the playoffs when your offensively starved team needs you the most.

The minuses I can forgive to an extent, as Brett Hull had them in spades and no one would have pushed him out of the team's bed, but the rat fink tendencies make me vote no.
maybe a one year deal for like 6m

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:32 PM
doublechili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashin for President View Post
Kabanov and Radulov on the same team? Oh baby, we would definitely steal the back pages of Newsday.
My concern is that we'd be stealing the front pages of Newsday.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:38 PM
rikker
fan since '75.

i guess contract specifics would determine if i would like to sign him. 1 year, 5 .mil, i would be ok with... the first sign of BS and he's outta there!

rikker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Hm. Looks like things are heading down the trade or banishment direction:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=397760

So they either trade him, or he goes back to the KHL. Sounds like the boy is available like I figured. Since they don't want him, and everyone now knows that the alternative is to lose him basically for nothing, I wonder how much his price has dropped?

Mods, would you be willing to reset the poll?

FYI - I still don't want him, but considering the complete lack of options we have via free agency, maybe it is worth reconsidering a short term, salary floor gap filling contract to give the guy his chance to increase his value in the states by doing right by the Islanders, then once that actually happens trade him to a contender for that top 4 defenseman we so sorely need.

Long shot? Yes, but every time I look at JT's wing I just kind of vomit. A lot. So maybe I need to relax my need for "boy scouts-only" on the locker room door. Pandolfo, Rolston, & Reasoner vs. Radulov... That gives me pause.
I could set the poll to zero, but those who've voted won't be able to vote again. Sorry.

06-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Renbarg

I would have no problem trading for him under two conditions:

A) The Islanders get a window to sign him before the trade is complete (or they get assurances from the agent or Radulov that he is going to sign for their contract offer).

B) They don't give up much (A few tier two prospects and a combination of picks). Something like Ness/Kitchton, Dibo and a 2nd/3rd.

Sometimes the player's preconceived stereotypes insures that certain stories come out. How many times have we heard about Tootoo coming to practice wasted, or being out all night partying, prior to his rehab stint? I would guess never.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:48 PM
RWWallpaper

We don't have a strong enough coach and or GM to handle a head case like this guy...Do not want.

He's nothing more than an "EA Sports / YouTube" fantasy player who you love in a video game but HATE on your real roster.

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 03:20 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Acrostic View Post
Only if he packs his wardrobe with turtlenecks and changes his number to #79.
brilliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Stylewise, he'd look great with Tavares... When he showed up to play. Radulov strikes me as the sort that needs a real hard ass as his coach. Caps is not that guy. Team needs more guys who show up nightly, not more who take important games off. Much rather just keep parenteau, as anything that would likely entice radulov would probably be enough to keep PAP.
well said.

Ryan Carter, Dwight King - sad that these guys of mediocre talent and huge effort are shining in these playoffs when there are such talented players who do absolutely nothing.

I'd love the Isles to be a team that is designed around big, hard-wroking, tough-to-play-against forwards and defensemen. A team that can sustain offensive pressure, establish a forecheck, cycle and generate chances and wear down opposing defenses. Like Tavares' line did the whole year.

Isles simply aren't made up that way and a guy like Radulov, although very talented, would be a step in the wrong direction.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote